ImageImageImageImageImage

Why would the Kings want Deron Williams?

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,376

Why would the Kings want Deron Williams? 

Post#1 » by robbie84 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:19 am

What would you have to give up to get him?
Surely they wouldn't send out Mclemore as part of the deal?
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Re: Why would the Kings want Deron Williams? 

Post#2 » by blind prophet » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:22 am

I don't think they do want him.

Have a recent source from the FO?

Is one of the worst contracts in the league, so no, even if they wanted him why give up an asset?
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#3 » by Kings2013 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:56 am

If the deal was Williams and plumlee for collison/JT/Williams I would think IF the kings had any interest, and that is a big if, that a large part of their interest would be on plumlee. If the nets aren't including plumlee I don't see why this made it to Woj

Collison IMO is younger and has played better this year, and is likeable on and off the floor IMO
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#4 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:07 am

Glad to hear that this is sounding more exploratory than a target kind of scenario. Sounds like this one was a simple check on value and not a whole lot more than that.
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#5 » by simon24 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:06 pm

Kings2013 wrote:If the deal was Williams and plumlee for collison/JT/Williams I would think IF the kings had any interest, and that is a big if, that a large part of their interest would be on plumlee. If the nets aren't including plumlee I don't see why this made it to Woj

Collison IMO is younger and has played better this year, and is likeable on and off the floor IMO

Yeah I'd keep Collison if I was SAC.
OhioKingsFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Post#6 » by OhioKingsFan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:35 pm

The starting 5 is not the team's problem. The team needs quality, consistent contributors in the 2nd unit. I'd rather keep Collison at $5m per year and spend the $15M differential on improving the 2nd unit.

I do not think Deron Williams is the answer. I'd be okay if we picked up Plumlee, but DWill on his own is too poor of value to contract.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#7 » by enderwilson » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:46 pm

On the poll in the other thread I voted for Deron + Plumlee, but now I'm thinking twice. Deron hasn't really performed much better than Collison, and hasn't been an All-Star caliber player since he played for Utah. I like the idea of trading for Brook Lopez better.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#8 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:22 pm

OhioKingsFan wrote:The starting 5 is not the team's problem. The team needs quality, consistent contributors in the 2nd unit. I'd rather keep Collison at $5m per year and spend the $15M differential on improving the 2nd unit.

I do not think Deron Williams is the answer. I'd be okay if we picked up Plumlee, but DWill on his own is too poor of value to contract.

If they don't have to give up Collison the Williams acquisition would greatly improve the bench. They'd have 96 backcourt minutes which could be more or less evenly split between WIlliams/Collison/McLemore.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#9 » by ICMTM » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:40 pm

I brought this up and I'd only trade for Williams IF Collison was not part of the deal. We still need a back up PG, and I think both Collison and Williams can play together for stretches making the attack pretty dynamic. Williams would have to play at his best level to warrant consideration, and I'm not sure we're going to get that from him?

[edit] What he said above me....Oops. :)
KANGZZZZZ!
SacKingsPejaFan
Sixth Man
And1: 114

Post#10 » by SacKingsPejaFan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:43 pm

I believe the reports were they wanted Mason Plumlee and were willing to take on Deron Williams' contract as consideration for the trade. I don't think there's any delusions that Deron Williams is still capable of being an all-star player, but he'd put up comparable numbers to Collison and allow the Kings to acquire one of the best young, up and coming bigs in the league to fill their starting PF void.

Return to Sacramento Kings