ImageImageImageImageImage

Ben's statistical regression over the last stretch

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: Ben's statistical regression over the last stretch 

Post#21 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:34 pm

Fola314 wrote:If we can upgrade on BMac I think we should, move him to the bench, let him play 20-25 mins and earn back his job if he can. Eye test tells me he's an average defender and a bad passer. 43%FG/36% 3pt this season is not good, not terrible. 1.6ast/1.7TOs sucks. In his defense, his role is basically shooter, but if we can grab Wesley Matthews, Brandon Knight, or maybe even Danny Green in free agency it would help a lot IMO.

Wes Matthews might be worth the gamble but how long is he out for? That type of injury could realistically keep him out most of next season.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: Re: Ben's statistical regression over the last stretch 

Post#22 » by City of Trees » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:51 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
Fola314 wrote:If we can upgrade on BMac I think we should, move him to the bench, let him play 20-25 mins and earn back his job if he can. Eye test tells me he's an average defender and a bad passer. 43%FG/36% 3pt this season is not good, not terrible. 1.6ast/1.7TOs sucks. In his defense, his role is basically shooter, but if we can grab Wesley Matthews, Brandon Knight, or maybe even Danny Green in free agency it would help a lot IMO.

Wes Matthews might be worth the gamble but how long is he out for? That type of injury could realistically keep him out most of next season.
If Matthews injury runs into next season he may opt for a one year deal depending on the offers he gets. If you think he can return full strength you offer a long term deal. I'd love the Kings to sign him and follow up by moving Stauskas.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#23 » by City of Trees » Fri May 22, 2015 3:49 am

After year two lets take a look back on Ben McLemore's scouting report coming out of Kansas.
[youtube] https://youtu.be/MHaCrtbL_zg [/youtube]

I think this scouting report nailed it! The strengths have carried over to the NBA. As for his weaknesses its easy to see Ben has dramatically improved his dribble. Still struggles with being too passive on offense and I get the feeling of wanting more from him on defense. Anyways always fun to identify improvements for our young prospects over their first two-three years.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#24 » by City of Trees » Fri May 22, 2015 3:52 am

Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#25 » by Kings2013 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:44 am

Straddling the line

Even now it's 50/50 on him starting next year
50/50 on whether he will be a serious player

I guess we will see. This summer league I think we'll get a good idea on which way it leans
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#26 » by KF10 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:51 am

City of Trees wrote:After year two lets take a look back on Ben McLemore's scouting report coming out of Kansas.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHaCrtbL_zg&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

I think this scouting report nailed it! The strengths have carried over to the NBA. As for his weaknesses its easy to see Ben has dramatically improved his dribble. Still struggles with being too passive on offense and I get the feeling of wanting more from him on defense. Anyways always fun to identify improvements for our young prospects over their first two-three years.

Yeah, the scouting report is as close of "nailed it" it can be.

Like you said, his ball handling has improved by a lot. We saw BMac took his man off the dribble and finish strong at times. We need more of that though. Gaining strength/bulk will be helpful in encouraging him into attacking the basket at a more frequent rate. His shot is starting to look drop too. I expect that his shooting to be as good as we thought it should be. His 3PT% should really be at least 39% + up.

His defense is getting better but like the video said, he is too uptight in his defensive stance...which is still ring true today. With his lateral quickness and athletic abilities, he should be a good defender by default.

If BMac works hard in this offseason (no reason to think otherwise), he should be getting a lot of eyeballs watching him outside of Sacramento..
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#27 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri May 22, 2015 6:22 am

The other problem with Ben defensively and it is going to show more and more if they want to switch and play smaller is that he's a little small at SG. He's probably 180 something pounds going up against players 30-40 pounds heavier than he is and at the SF spot it's even more. We all saw Afflalo just back him down like he wasn't even there. The question is whether or not Ben can survive on anything other than a straight up standard built team where the positions are a bit truer.
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#28 » by Gilles » Fri May 22, 2015 2:09 pm

It's more about core and leg strength, than overall weight. And Ben was 190 in 2013, probably 200 right now.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#29 » by City of Trees » Fri May 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Kings website had him listed at 195 this season

Return to Sacramento Kings