Season Grades

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Season Grades 

Post#1 » by Kings2013 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:22 pm

Totally subjective

Cousins: A-. He had some injuries, including the meningitis that kept him out around a quarter of the season. Still battling being a better leader on/off the floor. He has progressed, particularly defensively to the point where we can legitimately believe we have one of the best players coming into the future seasons.

Gay - B. Continued on his solid play in Sacramento last season to assure us the real Rudy is what we see, a legit borderline all star caliber SF. I thought he looked good at PF personally, and that is something to possible look forward to. The playmaking stepped up this year, and I thought he played less iso. Could still use a little more attention from him on D at times, and better play at times down the stretch, but he is a fan favorite and a core piece heading forward IMO

Collison - A-. I love me some DC. There were question marks about the contract we gave him, and even if Sessions would out play him, but with his offball/defense/floor spacing style I think he fits with the starting unit. He hasn't been injury prone but did miss half this season which really hampered our record IMO. As I said I like him and wouldn't utilize substantial resources to upgrade him when we have other needs (bench, possibly PF/SG), but can be a very good backup guard if they go that route

McLemore - C+. Ben has improved himself from last year, although that wouldn't be hard to do given the state of the kids game last year, but still his percentages, ball handling saw a good improvement from one year. Still as a starter is not quite up to snuff which raises the question that is debated pretty evenly now amongst Kings fans - should he be given more time as a starter or should they bring some vet presence while he develops on the bench? It will be interesting to see how it goes. I don't question the kid's dedication to improving, but does he have the skills/BBIQ to be quality? Stay tuned.

Thompson - C. Its tough for me to hate on JT when I feel effort is never an issue and he has been through so much change and changing roles here in Sacramento. Did play well with that highly rated starting unit to start the year, and IMO looks serviceable as a backup big. I think he will continue on being a solid back up big next year, but we will see.

Sessions - F. Lord have mercy. Watched his career just dissipate until he was traded.

Stauskas - D. Before the season started a lot of fans were debating whether or not he would start, now many debate if he will ever be a starting quality player. Just looked for much of the season like another blown pick for this franchise. Under Karl started to show better signs, shooting better percentages, and giving Kings fans hope that he will be a solid rotation player. The Sauce thing, I have to roll my eyes at it but I guess its all in fun.

Evans - B. How can anyone hate on Reggie? Good vet presence and gives you what he can on the court, which may not keep him around but we will see.

Williams - D+. If only that motor matched some of his natural skill level. Played inconsistently, gave some real highlight plays for the Kings this year with lackluster D. Can't imagine him coming back, especially at the price he might command, but stranger things have happened

Casspi - B+ - I love me some OC. I did when he was a rookie. Came back to Sacramento and offered heart and toughness at the wing position and was often a rock on that bad bench. Really improved under Karl to the point where you are wondering if he is a real part of the core heading forward. Can he play alongside Rudy full time, which looked good at times? I would re-sign him

Landry - D+. Just not effective anymore given his lack of athleticism due to injury and the shape he looks. Can't really board or defend or move well. Ideally not in your rotation but has two years left. I think he is back next year because it would take value to unload him.

Hollins - C. Good vet presence, but never provided enough on the court to be relied on for consistent minutes. I don't think he will be back but again is a good guy that I know tried to mentor Cuz this year.

McCallum - C+. I think Ray is still a steal of a 2nd rounder and can play, but its another kid who the fans are on fence about. Is he a full time backup pg now? He was forced into the starting unit for half the season which didn't help the team's offense but the kid showed that he still can be a gritty combo backup somewhere, is it here?

Miller - B. Came in and offered a guiding vet hand for the back up unit. Can't really defend or move but has an unparalleled intellegince at the point that many guards do not. I'm not the biggest fan of retaining him given his advancing age to play a major role, but if he wants to come back near the minimum and play a third pg role or what have you, then its all good.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Re: Season Grades 

Post#2 » by blind prophet » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:33 pm

I'll consider doing more down the road, let me think for a bit. I want to consider the front office grades, the coaching grade, PR even too.

But how you do not give Cousins a solid A for being the man he was this year during the madness is unacceptable to me.

I'll break it down in detail later.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#3 » by City of Trees » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:17 pm

Blind Prophet I'll make the FO grade for you real easy.
Pre Karl hiring F-
Post Karl hiring F

Why F post Karl. Fire Corbin but keep him on as an "advisor".... Vivek admits he made a mistake by hiring a coach (Malone) before his GM (PDA) but yet does it AGAIN with hiring Karl and then Vlade..... Calls up Sim Bhullar who has no business in the NBA...... Vlade, who is a great guy, doesn't have the resume deserving of the job..... I'm sure there is more
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#4 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:24 pm

The whole thing gets an E. As in ERASE it from the memory banks. Hopefully they understand, realize, and don't forget the lessons learned but now is time to make it all right next year.
SacSanity
Senior
And1: 89

Post#5 » by SacSanity » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Grades:

Demarcus Cousins: A - When he played healthy, he was by far the best big in the league. No one can guard him and he constantly put bigs in foul trouble. The only reason he does not get an A+ is because he still commits stupid fouls and complains excessively when things aren't going our way.

Rudy Gay: B+ - Rudy played solid ball all around. Shot at a really good percentage. When we played as a team, he fit and understood his perfect role.

Darren Collison: B - At the start of the year he was not really hitting his outside jumpers, mainly his 3's. After he got in the groove of things he was playing great. Awesome defense and solid shooting. I would like him to get around 7 apg rather than 4-5apg.

Jason Thompson: C- - I don't get this guy. I understand he is constantly throwin in and out of the starting lineup but he just seems to be able to put it together. For example, last year a constant problem was him thinking he was some offensive beast and ended up travelling or turning the ball over on a post move. This year he literally stopped that but now he can't hit his jumpers to save his life. Literally its one thing or the other. If he ends up being our 3rd big off the bench I won't complain and if ends up being traded, I wouldn't complain either.

Ben Mclemore: C+ - He made great strides since his rookie year. Still shaky shooting but I see progress. He needs better ball handling to be a starting 2 guard. His defense at times is amazing and he is a great fastbreak player.

Carl Landry: F - He is just not fit for this league anymore. He is on the downside of his career and simply to big of a liability on the defensive end. I pray we package him off in the off-season.

Reggie Evans: B - I can't ask him to do anymore than he did, he plays his part perfectly.

Ryan Hollins: F+ - Quite possibly the lowest bball IQ player I have ever witness. Can't play D to save his life.

Omri Casspi: B- - Solid rotation player. Hustles all the time and when his shot is on its on.

Derrick Williams: C - I feel like his shot has came a long way. Played solid minutes at the SF pos and PF pos... sometimes.

Ray McCallum: C+ - Hustles all the time. Showed that as of now he is not a starter but he can be a contributing backup.

Nick Stauskas: D- - Just not an NBA ready player. Gets abused on the defensive end. For a shooter, he sure seemed to be lacking in that department. I am not to sure how much he will progress next year, but if I were a betting man.... its not good.

Andre Miller: B- - Just a very solid veteran leader in the locker room. He does get burnt on the defensive end a little to much but thats expected at his age.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#6 » by KF10 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:06 pm

The front office gets a big fat F from me.

The Malone firing was one of most idiotic thing that happened in the NBA in recent memory.

===

Player's grades:

Cousins: A- / A
Rudy: B+
Collison: B+ / A-
BMac: B- / B
Casspi: B / B+
Miller: B
Thompson: C
Sauce: D+
Landry: D+ / C-
RMac: C / C+
DWill: C
Reggie: C
Hollins: D
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#7 » by SactoKingsFan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:08 am

Front Office: F/ Incompetent

Cousins: A-
Gay: B/B+
Collison: B+
McLemore: C+/B-
Casspi: B
Thompson: C
Stauskas: D
Landry: D+
McCallum: C
DWill: D+
Evans: B-
Miller: B
Hollins: D-
Sessions: F
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#8 » by teerfour+40LG » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:43 pm

I'll do this for all the lurkers who are curious about Kings players.

Demarcus Cousins: A+
We knew from day one that Demarcus had a ridiculous wingspan and a godly standing reach, but he never met his defensive potential until this year. With the way this guy takes charges, blocks shots, get steals, gets defensive rebounds, gets chasedown blocks, and goes straight up, he defends like Hakeem Olajuwon. Demarcus does everything on defense. It's incredible.

Rudy Gay: A
He was a better passer this year than he has ever been, adding a crucial new dimension to his formidable offensive game. I think he should be more productive defensively than he is. With his length he really should have no less than 2 steals and 1 block per 100 possessions.

Andre Miller: A+
There's a reason why he still gets minutes at 39. He's phenomenal, a terrific passer and floor general. He makes the rest of our team look like scrubs. Unfortunately he can't shoot or play defense. Moving forward with him is a double edged sword, with the negative edge kept sharp by that we're a terrible shooting and defending team to begin with.

Darren Collison: A-
Surprised me with his defense. He slowed down opposing point guards night in and night out, even the best ones. He must record more assists per 100 possessions though. 8.1 is not enough to keep his job safe.

Omri Casspi: A-
A completely different player than the last time he was here. He developed as a passer and as a slasher, showing straight line speed and long strides that took me and every defender by surprise. He shot the three well in the 2nd half of the season, but he needs to do it for a whole season.

Derrick Williams: F
He's not about the right things. With his measurements and strength, he could be an extremely impactful player on the court, but he doesn't rebound, doesn't block shots, doesn't steal the ball, and doesn't do a lot of things. On offense, he's a terrible passer too. These crucial facets of basketball don't appeal to him.

Carl Landry: F
Carl Landry can only do two things on the basketball court: mid-range jumpshots and score in the post. That's not enough to warrant time on the court. He also deserves to be waived because he is one of the worst passers in the NBA.

Nik Stauskas: D
On paper, Nik's offensive game is exactly what we needed. Unfortunately, the NBA is a man's league, and Nik is just a boy. His only saving grace is that he kept a respectable A/T ratio. He needs to man up: get stronger in the core and legs, lose some body fat, and work very hard on his handle. But, is he willing to make that commitment? Is it in his blood?

Ben McLemore: D
Something about the way he plays basketball looks off to me.

Return to Sacramento Kings