Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Rebuild the bench 

Post#1 » by City of Trees » Thu May 28, 2015 7:52 am

The rules:

1. No trades allowed
2. Identify who you have the Kings selecting at #6
3. Kings have $8M in cap space to work with
4. Use that money to fix the worst bench in the NBA. Realistic contracts please.

*Edit*
5. Per demand Stretching a player is Ok. Be sure to include how much the cap is increased for those who don't want to do the math.

Go!
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: Rebuild the bench 

Post#2 » by City of Trees » Thu May 28, 2015 8:11 am

- Draft WCS

PG Corey Joseph 3yr $12M

SG/SF Gerald Green 3yr $10M

Starting line up:
Collison
McLemore
Gay
WCS
Cousins

Bench:
Joseph
Stauskas
Green
Landry
Thompson

Small ball:
Collison
McLemore
Green
Gay
Cousins
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Post#3 » by blind prophet » Thu May 28, 2015 9:17 am

Draft WCS

Doubt Clippers pick up option on Crawford, sign him at 5 million.

Sign Casspi for 3 million.

20 games in after WCS gets some seasoning.

Collison
McLemore
Gay
WCS (after 20 games)
Cousins

Bench

Ray
Crawford
Casspi
Landry
Thompson

Deep bench, (inactive)

Stauskas, Morleand, Stockton
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#4 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu May 28, 2015 9:47 am

Interesting but I think some trades will have to be a part of the picture this summer if for nothing more than to cut out some redundancy and allow the Kings to really be in the free agency picture. I'm looking at potential sign and trades involving Nik or Ben if I'm Vlade. I also see a decent bench on the team already, unfortunately two of those on that decent bench were starting last year. :lol: That said:

Since you didn't say: Stretch and waive Jason Thompson (I'm not sure you can do that with Landry since he was a post CBA signing, if you can then him instead)

Draft: Justise Winslow

Sign: Kyle O'Quinn 2 yr 4 million, Omri Casspi 2 yr 6 million w/ player option for the 2nd year, Bismack Biyombo 3 yr 21 million, Andre Miller at the minimum, Reggie at the minimum

Starting lineup:

PG: Collison
SG: Winslow
SF: Casspi
PF: Gay
C: Cousins

Bench:

PG: McCallum
SG: McLemore
SF: Stauskas
PF: O'Quinn
C: Biyombo
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#5 » by KF10 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Draft Winslow
Stretch JT
Sign Drew Gooden at $3 million
Sign Nick Calathes at $3 million
Sign Alan Anderson at $3 million
Sign Omri Casspi at $3 million

Wizard fans liked Gooden and his progression as a stretch-4 for them and the maturity he showed too. Really became a pro's pro. Calathes is a tough, defensive guard that can hit the 3 and can run point or play the 2 interchangeably. Alan Anderson is a steady vet defensive guard/forward that has 3PT range and he impressed during this year's playoffs with the Nets. Casspi...well we know all about him.

Starting 5:

Collison
BMac
Winslow
Rudy
Cousins

(or you can put Winslow at the 2 and let Casspi start at 3, like SKZZZ have)

Bench:

Calathes/RMac
Stauskas/Calathes & Anderson
Anderson
Gooden/Landry
Moreland
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#6 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu May 28, 2015 11:19 pm

KF10 wrote:Draft Winslow
Stretch JT
Sign Drew Gooden at $3 million
Sign Nick Calathes at $3 million
Sign Alan Anderson at $3 million
Sign Omri Casspi at $3 million

Wizard fans liked Gooden and his progression as a stretch-4 for them and the maturity he showed too. Really became a pro's pro. Calathes is a tough, defensive guard that can hit the 3 and can run point or play the 2 interchangeably. Alan Anderson is a steady vet defensive guard/forward that has 3PT range and he impressed during this year's playoffs with the Nets. Casspi...well we know all about him.

Starting 5:

Collison
BMac
Winslow
Rudy
Cousins

(or you can put Winslow at the 2 and let Casspi start at 3, like SKZZZ have)

Bench:

Calathes/RMac
Stauskas/Calathes & Anderson
Anderson
Gooden/Landry
Moreland

Yeah, I like the idea of Calathes and Anderson but I still feel McCallum deserves a shot to grow into that backup spot and considering how cheap he is and how few minutes there will most likely be at reserve PG anyway it's not a position of major need.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#7 » by City of Trees » Fri May 29, 2015 2:15 am

I will post a new one with Landry stretched

- Draft WCS

*PG Corey Joseph 3yr $12M
*SG/SF Gerald Green 3yr $9M
*C Koufus 3yr $9M
*Casspi 1yr $1M
* Miller vet min

Starting line up:
Collison
McLemore
Gay
WCS
Cousins

Bench:
Joseph/ McCallum / Miller
Stauskas/ Green
Green/ Casspi
Thompson/ Moreland
Koufus / Thompson

If Stauskas can take a few steps in his development that could be a very dangerous bench with tons of flexibility.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#8 » by becorz » Fri May 29, 2015 7:14 am

City of Trees wrote:I will post a new one with Landry stretched

- Draft WCS

*C Koufus 3yr $9M
*Casspi 1yr $1M
* Miller vet min

Starting line up:
Collison
McLemore
Gay
WCS
Cousins

Bench:
Stauskas/ Green
Green/ Casspi
Thompson/ Moreland
Koufus / Thompson

If Stauskas can take a few steps in his development that could be a very dangerous bench with tons of flexibility.

Do you really think we could get Koufus for that price? I think he gets at least the mid level and probably a lot more...

Same thing for Green, I think he is going to get paid a lot more than you do.

But I would certainly like the offseason to unfold this way (minus Joeseph). I think the best way to upgrade the team is with Collison in a Bobby Jackson-esqe role.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#9 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri May 29, 2015 9:01 am

- Draft WCS

*C Koufus 3yr $9M
*Casspi 1yr $1M
* Miller vet min

Starting line up:
Collison
McLemore
Gay
WCS
Cousins

Bench:
Stauskas/ Green
Green/ Casspi
Thompson/ Moreland
Koufus / Thompson

I hope Casspi comes that cheap but he did blow up at the of the year! :banghead:
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#10 » by KF10 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:12 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:Yeah, I like the idea of Calathes and Anderson but I still feel McCallum deserves a shot to grow into that backup spot and considering how cheap he is and how few minutes there will most likely be at reserve PG anyway it's not a position of major need.

Yeah, Calathes & Anderson are players that I like so far, for the cheap. Both are defensive-minded and are able to score the ball too. Those are the type of players the Kings should look at to fill the bench, imo. Gooden is another guy I'm warming up to. Previously, dude was unwanted by many teams but with his revival as a stretch-4 for the Wizards, he showed he can still play the NBA game. From the quotes and articles I'm reading about him, he looks like he matured too. He is saying all the right things. I wouldn't mind him at all. I'll take him over JT & Landry right now.

I'll give RMac time to see if he's really going to prove that he's able to successfully back up the PG or SG spot. In those 30 starts under Karl, he showed pretty solid things. If anything, he's more of a scoring (off) guard than a full time point guard though. If he manages to improve his 3PT% and clean up some parts of his game, he would be a real nice option off the bench. But if he doesn't, I'll move him. Simple as that, imo.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#11 » by City of Trees » Fri May 29, 2015 1:11 pm

Koufus gives the "Blue you're my boy" discount to G. Karl. I could be off with Casspi.
SacKingsPejaFan
Sixth Man
And1: 114

Post#12 » by SacKingsPejaFan » Fri May 29, 2015 3:39 pm

Legitimately curious here - can someone show me the math that says we only have $8 million in cap space next year? Reports say the cap is projected to be $66 million next year (http://www.businessinsider.com/nba-salary-cap-2015-3). Hoops Hype shows we have $52 million committed in salary next year if we do not extend a QO to Derrick Williams (at $8m, no way we do) and do not pick up Moreland and Stockton's options (both less than $1m) (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento.htm). So by my math, that's about $14 million in cap space next year. What are you guys seeing that I'm not?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#13 » by City of Trees » Fri May 29, 2015 4:59 pm

Both Moreland and Stockton's options should be included at the moment, plus #6 salary is $2.7.. By my math that's just above $8m... I'm not a big cap guy tho so I could be wrong.
becorz
Veteran

Post#14 » by becorz » Fri May 29, 2015 6:20 pm

SacKingsPejaFan wrote:Legitimately curious here - can someone show me the math that says we only have $8 million in cap space next year? Reports say the cap is projected to be $66 million next year (http://www.businessinsider.com/nba-salary-cap-2015-3). Hoops Hype shows we have $52 million committed in salary next year if we do not extend a QO to Derrick Williams (at $8m, no way we do) and do not pick up Moreland and Stockton's options (both less than $1m) (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/sacramento.htm). So by my math, that's about $14 million in cap space next year. What are you guys seeing that I'm not?

This is the calculation, to the best of my knowledge. Feel free to correct me where wrong.

So these are the salaries that the Kings have next season. This assumes the Kings release all cap holds. Via Sham Sports (the best) and hoopshype.

DeMarcus Cousins $15,851,950
Rudy Gay $12,403,101
Carl Landry $6,500,000
Jason Thompson $6,431,250
Darren Collison $5,013,559
Ben McLemore $3,156,600
Nik Stauskas $2,869,440
Ray McCallum $947,276 - Unguaranteed
David Stockton $845,059 - Unguaranteed
Eric Moreland $845,059 - Unguaranteed

Kings also get the sixth pick. Therefore they have a cap hold of $2,831,900.

Whenever a team doesn't have 12 players (the rookie hold counts as a player), you have to add an extra minimum salary roster payer. So, add one player at $525,093. Remember this...if the Kings waive Stockton, Moreland, or McCallum, they only save roughly $300,000 on the cap.

The Kings stretched Wayne Ellington's salary last year. He was to be paid $2,771,340. His salary is added to this year's cap and next year's at a rate of $923,780.

Total Kings Cap Holds - $59,144,067

If cap is $66 million, the Kings have $6,855,933 in cap room.

Does that help?

Edit: I think this might be helpful too.

Carl Landy is owed $6,500,000 next season and the one after that. So, we can stretch him and owe him $2,600,000 over the next five years. His strech would gain us (6500000-2600000-525093) in cap room. So $3,374,907 in cap room. Raising our cap room to $10,230,840.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#15 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri May 29, 2015 8:33 pm

I stopped going to shamsports, it seemed like they weren't very up to date last I checked. Hoopshype has Cuz's salary next year at $14,728,844. I've noticed they've had different numbers between the sites before. I wonder who is right?
becorz
Veteran

Post#16 » by becorz » Fri May 29, 2015 9:21 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:I stopped going to shamsports, it seemed like they weren't very up to date last I checked. Hoopshype has Cuz's salary next year at $14,728,844. I've noticed they've had different numbers between the sites before. I wonder who is right?

Personally, I trust sham sports WAY more than I trust hoopshype. Hoopshype steals their numbers from other sources while shamsports actually does the research on the contract. All of my numbers above came from Sham, except for Rudy, Stockton, and Moreland's salaries.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#17 » by Kings2013 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:30 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:

- Draft WCS

*C Koufus 3yr $9M
*Casspi 1yr $1M
* Miller vet min

Starting line up:
Collison
McLemore
Gay
WCS
Cousins

Bench:
Stauskas/ Green
Green/ Casspi
Thompson/ Moreland
Koufus / Thompson

I hope Casspi comes that cheap but he did blow up at the of the year! :banghead:

Yeah, I think he will get 3-5 multi year. Had a solid year and the Kings IMO will need him back, chemistry wise. He might even be the starting 3 next to Rudy at PF, as he was coming into his own depending on Karl's vision
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#18 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri May 29, 2015 10:18 pm

becorz wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:I stopped going to shamsports, it seemed like they weren't very up to date last I checked. Hoopshype has Cuz's salary next year at $14,728,844. I've noticed they've had different numbers between the sites before. I wonder who is right?

Personally, I trust sham sports WAY more than I trust hoopshype. Hoopshype steals their numbers from other sources while shamsports actually does the research on the contract. All of my numbers above came from Sham, except for Rudy, Stockton, and Moreland's salaries.

Yeah, I stopped going to hoopshype entirely at one point because I was the same way, but after that it would sometimes take months for Shamsports to update after trades and things.
longfellow44
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#19 » by longfellow44 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:49 am

I will join everyone else and say we draft WCS.

Start with stretching landry to essentially add 2 mil per season.

I want to sign:
Casspi 2 years 2 mil Per player option on year 2
corey brewer at 3.5 mill per for 3 years
danny granger at 2 mill perseason 3 years
Maxiell at vet minimum

I see brewer being our go to defender off the bench Also he is a solid floor spreader.
casspi is the ultimate hustle guy and should see his role grow.
granger is meant to replace landry and primarily work as a stretch four. his injuries Make it difficult for him to be a wing any more but he should still be quicker than a lot od other pfs.

Maxiell replaces evans and is better at coverinf his man in the post.

Stein looks like a plug and play center ready to play his role As a defender.

New roster
collison/mccallum
mclemore/brewer
gay/casspi
wcs/granger/maxiell
cousins/thompson

That is a much more versatile team with better shooting and muxh better defense.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#20 » by bleeds_purple » Sun May 31, 2015 10:44 pm

The premise of this thread is a bit backwards. Specifically, I've never heard of a team building a bench before solidifying its starting lineup. Coincidentally, I think if we fix the stating lineup it would immediately improve the bench by extension. With that in mind, the first priority is looking for a starting front court player to put next to Cousins and Gay.

If I'm Karl I'm going to stagger Cousins and Gay so that one of them is in the lineup at all times and run the offense through one of those guys. We simply cannot afford to run with too many bench guys in the game at the same time. And we don't have to since we have two ball dominant guys in Cousins and Gay.

As for specific free agent targets, depending on who we select in the draft of course (I'll assume WCS because that my preference), I'd like to see us look into: Thad Young, Corey Brewer, Mike Dunleavy, Jeremy Lin, Gerald Green, and CJ Watson.

If we stretch Landry we have roughly $11M to spend:

Thad Young 4yrs/32M (he'd have to opt out)
Mike Dunleavy 2yrs/6M
Casspi renounced and then brought back on the minimum
Minimum contract PG toward the end of free agency after we see what's left

After a couple months into the season once WCS establishes himself this would be the rotation:

Starting Lineup
Cousins
WCS
Gay
McLemore
Collison

Bench Rotation #1 with Gay and Collison (End of 1st/3rd)
WCS
Young
Gay
Stauskas
Collison

Bench Rotation #2 with Cousins and McLemore (Start of 2nd/4th)
Cousins
Young
Dunleavy
McLemore
McCallum

Small Ball/End of Games
Cousins
Young
Gay
McLemore
Collison

Depth