ImageImageImageImageImage

The real story of the Kings FO?

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

The real story of the Kings FO? 

Post#1 » by blind prophet » Fri May 29, 2015 11:50 pm

http://cowbellkingdom.podbean.com/e/cowbell-kingdom-podcast-ep-201-the-pete-dalessandro-situation/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CowbellKingdom+%28Cowbell+Kingdom+Podcast%29

NBC Sports' Aaron Bruski joins James Ham to break down the latest news on Kings general manager Pete D'Alessandro.

I have no idea how true this is, but it is probably much worse than you'd expect to hear. But supposedly this is only 10-15% of the "horrible truth" behind some of the shenanigans.

I'll break it down if you just want to read.

First Pete has often used the media to get things out and visible, not always for anyone's best interest than himself. And was the source of many of the "leaks".

So here is a list of some of what went down, whose call it was.

First the only reason Pete is still here is his knowledge base of the cap, but more importantly, George Karl wants him here, and he has one year left on his contract.

McLemore was a pick by Petrie/Malone.

Both Malone and Pete say they were not the one who wanted Landry, no one has any idea who made the call.

Pete decided not to resign Evans, gave away Lopez, kept saying we have a pass first pg, upset the guys who played with Tyreke.

Grevis got tore up by Thomas in practice, it was so bad that Pete started an anti Thomas campaign to cover up his mistake. Thomas used to show up at the town hall meetings, was always supportive of the franchise. When asked directly team mates of Thomas said he was quiet away from the court, a nice guy, no one had a problem with him. Believed Pete leaked bs to start a bad PR relationship with Thomas because they did not intend to resign him.

Malone really liked IT, was sort of his guy.

Led to false use of media to make Thomas look bad in PR, and undermine Malone.

Pete wanted coach Karl the whole time, that's the coach he always wanted here and not Malone.

Pete threw Malone under the bus leaving him just Ray to use at pg, he even logged 48 mins. They brought in Royce White, and Cunningham, he refused to give Malone anything to work with.

Kurt Rambis was brought in to talk about becoming the lead assistant over the summer. Malone did not even know, when he found out he pointed out in his contract it stated he got to pick his own coaching staff, Pete backed off.

So Malone brought in Corbin.

Corbin was not even on contract or getting paid at the start of summer league. He could not do any interviews etc, it took 3 days into summer league for them to finally get him a contract.

Casspi made less than minimum because they knew they were going to sign him, waited awhile (pro rate) so it cost them less money.

Malone was not insubordinate, rumor was bs, Malone and Pete had no working relationship, did not take Pete's phone calls
hey I'm taking your pg, I'm hiring your staff etc, was tired of it. They did not speak.

Malone was actually surprised he got fired, even with the mess going on.

Mullin and Pete got together and eventually convinced Vivek to fire Malone, takes awhile, happened in Vegas. Was Pete's call. Take advantage of Cousins meningitis opportunity to fire Malone. Say they like people, love them, but its a lie, things were never clean.

They convinced Vivek Corbin would do just fine.

So they signed Corbin to a full single year contract. Pete had permission to hire or talk to Karl, but this is what he decided to do.

After everything was falling apart, the minority owners started getting pissed off, some were threatening to sell, get out etc.

Cousins was used as a leverage tactic in negotiation with Karl's salary, used him and his camp as a negotiation tactic with Karl.

Supposedly there are other things so vile, we won't want to hear about them.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Re: The real story of the Kings FO? 

Post#2 » by Kings2013 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:47 am

I'm a little skeptical on Pete wanting Karl the entire time. Why wait after firing Malone and letting Karl hit the open market this summer? Vivek said he gave the OK to do something as soon as Malone was let go. I still wonder if PDA/Mullin were trying to angle for Mullin to takeover, but that is pure speculation
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#3 » by blind prophet » Sat May 30, 2015 12:54 am

Kings2013 wrote:I'm a little skeptical on Pete wanting Karl the entire time. Why wait after firing Malone and letting Karl hit the open market this summer? Vivek said he gave the OK to do something as soon as Malone was let go. I still wonder if PDA/Mullin were trying to angle for Mullin to takeover, but that is pure speculation

The only "evidence" is supposedly Karl still wants Pete around, so it is suggestive. But Pete probably convinced Vivek Corbin was needed and would be solid should something happen with Malone in the first place. He also would have known it was not an ideal situation, and would be better to start fresh after the season.

But with the fan revolt, and ownership groups getting upset, he may of had to act.

Unless the Orlando rumors spooked him.

But supposedly he always wanted Karl here.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#4 » by bleeds_purple » Sat May 30, 2015 1:48 am

There has to be some sort of dirtiness going around no sort of cohesive logic explains the moves we've made in the FO and coaching staff.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#5 » by City of Trees » Sat May 30, 2015 2:24 am

I can see all of this being true I mean we all kind of suspected it as things were going down. Reke, the IT situation, Cousins camp always being thrown into Everything, the Malone firing, the leaks.... We all knew who was at fault. This just confirms my suspicion. Coincidence the leaks stop when Vlade takes over? Probably not. Deuces Pete
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#6 » by KF10 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:37 am

Yeah, I just listened to the podcast. It just reaffirms how dirty and classless the FO i.e. Pete/Mullin really are. That's not a surprise to anyone.

At this point, Pete has burned all bridges and should be next in line to be canned. But if for some reason, we decide to keep him; make him strictly a cap guy advisor or something like that. Give him as little air time as you can. Let him work in his cubicle alone.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: Re: The real story of the Kings FO? 

Post#7 » by City of Trees » Sat May 30, 2015 2:44 am

KF10 wrote:Yeah, I just listened to the podcast. It just reaffirms how dirty and classless the FO i.e. Pete/Mullin really are. That's not a surprise to anyone.

At this point, Pete has burned all bridges and should be next in line to be canned. But if for some reason, we decide to keep him; make him strictly a cap guy advisor or something like that. Give him as little air time as you can. Let him work in his cubicle alone.
If Pete's actions are known throughout the team there is only one option here, part ways asap. Id never consider keeping this guy! The players have to be pissed he's still around, too!
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: Re: The real story of the Kings FO? 

Post#8 » by KF10 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:47 am

City of Trees wrote:
KF10 wrote:Yeah, I just listened to the podcast. It just reaffirms how dirty and classless the FO i.e. Pete/Mullin really are. That's not a surprise to anyone.

If Pete's actions are known throughout the team there is only one option here, part ways asap. Id never consider keeping this guy! The players have to be pissed he's still around, too!

Please Pete take the St. John's AD job!

Just go away!
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#9 » by KF10 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:53 am

I wonder where Mike Bratz's loyalties lies in? He is the assistant GM for the Kings. I know he came in with PDA from Denver to Sacramento. And is occasionally thought to be in the of Pete/Mullin circles.

Take him away if he is one of PDA's guys. But from what I'm reading right now, he has some history with Sacramento in the past i.e. 7 years as assistant coach (+ scout & radio analyst) and was a Kings player for the 1st season ('85) for inaugural year.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#10 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat May 30, 2015 3:21 am

I'm over it already, but I'm not sure I believe all the specifics since some things seem to contradict others. I will say however, if totally true maybe it's good both Pete AND Malone are out of the picture. They were both wrong on several things. :lol:

The ironic thing about Pete and Malone is that in the end they were probably the best thing for each other. They may very well have been the one thing keeping one another in line on their own basketball ideas.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#11 » by teerfour+40LG » Sat May 30, 2015 8:25 pm

Very saddening podcast. This can't be close to being resolved either. George Karl was Pete's hire, but what'd we hire him for if we were going to get rid of Pete? And George Karl wants to keep Pete around too.

It seems like in order to truly resolve this, Pete and Karl have to go.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Kings2013 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:08 pm

teerfour+40LG wrote:Very saddening podcast. This can't be close to being resolved either. George Karl was Pete's hire, but what'd we hire him for if we were going to get rid of Pete? And George Karl wants to keep Pete around too.

That's why I still personally wonder if PDA/Mully wanted Mullin to takeover at the end of the season but Vivek had to step in, hire the popular choice, and demote PDA/Mullin, perhaps while secretly being in communication with Vlade about the hire, but just my speculation
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#13 » by City of Trees » Sat May 30, 2015 9:44 pm

PDA and Mullin sound like sh*tweasel's
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#14 » by City of Trees » Sat May 30, 2015 11:11 pm

The full 91 minutes is a great listen. On a side note, someone should go back and count how many times Ham and Bruski say "like". Take a shot every time and you will die from alcohol poisoning!
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Kings2013 » Sun May 31, 2015 2:11 am

We will remember Malone affectionately and he was screwed over, but it might take him some time to get back in the ranks. It's unfortunate because he was a hot commodity pre Kings
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#16 » by bleeds_purple » Sun May 31, 2015 3:49 am

From the first interview PDA gave I thought he was a dope. Guess he's also a weasel. He looks like one anyway.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#17 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun May 31, 2015 4:03 am

teerfour+40LG wrote:Very saddening podcast. This can't be close to being resolved either. George Karl was Pete's hire, but what'd we hire him for if we were going to get rid of Pete? And George Karl wants to keep Pete around too.

+1

That is the scariest part of this whole damn debacle. Its far far far from over with Pete leaving. SH*T!
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#18 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun May 31, 2015 4:05 am

Kings2013 wrote:

That's why I still personally wonder if PDA/Mully wanted Mullin to takeover at the end of the season but Vivek had to step in, hire the popular choice, and demote PDA/Mullin, perhaps while secretly being in communication with Vlade about the hire, but just my speculation

I hope this is true. That would mean Vivek isn't a moron, he just doesn't know enough about basketball and running a team. Hope Vlade can right the ship.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#19 » by The Rebel » Sun May 31, 2015 3:15 pm

As someone who has had an interest in the Kings for a long time, does it not occur to you guys that this is the same type of hit piece that has been coming out of the Kings for the last few years? I know as fans you guys are pissed about what has happened over the last year, but really this sounds exactly like the stuff that has been coming out and now the gun has been aimed at Petey. Given that it is very similar to everything else that has been coming out, why are you so sure now that it is Pete that was the one leaking information prior to this?
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#20 » by blind prophet » Sun May 31, 2015 4:14 pm

The Rebel wrote:As someone who has had an interest in the Kings for a long time, does it not occur to you guys that this is the same type of hit piece that has been coming out of the Kings for the last few years? I know as fans you guys are pissed about what has happened over the last year, but really this sounds exactly like the stuff that has been coming out and now the gun has been aimed at Petey. Given that it is very similar to everything else that has been coming out, why are you so sure now that it is Pete that was the one leaking information prior to this?

We've dealt with bs for years. Stuff in local or even national news. Seldom do outsiders believe the informed fans on what is bs or not. We've often pegged the bs correctly, but everyone else outside of us has a field day with it.

This goes back to the late 90's with the Maloofs as minority owners talking relocation secretly with Anaheim.

The reason this is believable to some of us now is that the timeline fits very well with how things started occurring. Oddities that made no sense, dumbfounding ones. There were times when we were puzzled trying to figure out a few things, and there was no logical explanation for it.

But presented in this order, many of the previous issues start making sense, you can sort of see lies/deception growing. Old rumors in the media, odd tension with a player or rumor etc now start making sense in hindsight.

Really looks like we had a power hungry GM and associate wanting things their way, and willing to do whatever it took to protect their jobs.

All we had was confusion here now for awhile.

Also some of the other media or local insiders have subtly hinted at Pete being deceptive. Also now that Pete has been demoted, and Vlade borught in.

Not a peep, not one single sinister story. So that is suggestive that the guys breaking stories got their information from someone recently departed or demoted.

Return to Sacramento Kings