ImageImageImageImageImage

Nuggets hire Malone: What does this say about his relationship to D'Alessandro?

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

gustofwind
Rookie
And1: 649

Nuggets hire Malone: What does this say about his relationship to D'Alessandro? 

Post#1 » by gustofwind » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Personally, I don't believe Malone's hiring says anything about his relationship to D'Allesandro. D'Allesandro is not the top decision maker in Denver. I think after being demoted he wanted to go back to the place where he felt comfortable, rather than remain where he had once had a greater role. I believe the Denver front office only wanted to retain him as a cap expert, not as an adviser in the major hiring decisions of the franchise. But, I could be wrong. What do you guys think?

Unfortunately, the general board will use this as an excuse to pin 100% of the blame for Malone's firing on Ranadive and make the Kings organization look worse. This is really a shame. Should we defend Ranadive, and if so, to what extent?

Edit: Also, forgot to add: kudos to Malone for receiving another job. He deserved it.
think peaceful thoughts :meditate:
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,447

Re: Nuggets hire Malone: what does this say about his relationship to D'Alessandro? 

Post#2 » by KF10 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:18 pm

From what I'm been reading, Pete is the behind the scenes guy that will deal with the numbers for the Nuggets and their local NHL team. If that's the case, I don't see any problem with Malone coaching at Denver. Malone is higher in the hierarchy than Pete..in contrast when Pete & Malone was in Sacramento, the hierarchical model was opposite.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: Nuggets hire Malone: what does this say about his relationship to D'Alessandro? 

Post#3 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:39 pm

Yeah, I think this means Pete isn't in a position of power.
eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,116

Post#4 » by eathb_au » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:05 pm

Hey King's fans, do you think Malone is the type of coach that would play JJ Hickson?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#5 » by City of Trees » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:08 pm

Denver fan called me dishonest and said I was making up stories when I said Malone/PDA weren't on speaking terms for months before the firing.
PaKwAn
Veteran
And1: 1,541

Post#6 » by PaKwAn » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:08 pm

City of Trees wrote:Denver fan called me dishonest and said I was making up stories when I said Malone/PDA weren't on speaking terms for months before the firing.

Those denver posters keep saying we only blame 1 side of the story... vivek had his faults as well and kings fans have acknowledged that and has blamed him for his mistakes.. but because they hired the guy the kings hated they are siding with him and have ignored the part where pete and mullin were the cause of most of the problems...
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#7 » by blind prophet » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:11 pm

Pointless to defend the owner, they will pull the FO did not know about Vlade's role till a few days in, NBA 3.0, "Stauskas" etc.

PDA was the major leak, he used national sources. Those sources will continue to support their previous commentary.

The local guys who were here they will say are trying to protect the Kings image, Pete won the PR war.

Even trying will just label you as a homer, or pathetic, etc. They do not need sources except the name recognition of the national writers who used Pete as a source, but they will ask you for a source, and when they see it was local they will dismiss it. Can't win.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#8 » by blind prophet » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:15 pm

Think back to how we were covered when the Maloof's were here, everyone assumed they were negotiating in good faith, no one cared much what the fan base said.

National coverage was they were out of here.

Same theme, we should be used to it by now.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#9 » by Kings2013 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:10 pm

blind prophet wrote:Pointless to defend the owner, they will pull the FO did not know about Vlade's role till a few days in, NBA 3.0, "Stauskas" etc.

PDA was the major leak, he used national sources. Those sources will continue to support their previous commentary.

The local guys who were here they will say are trying to protect the Kings image, Pete won the PR war.

Even trying will just label you as a homer, or pathetic, etc. They do not need sources except the name recognition of the national writers who used Pete as a source, but they will ask you for a source, and when they see it was local they will dismiss it. Can't win.

Its going to teach me a lesson about patience, this crap. Having your owner wrongfully the butt of a joke.. For the next couple of years we are going to see this crap. I just want to jump down folks throats when I see it, but I guess they are only responding to what they read from the anti-vivek national media... just gotta ignore it. Learn to let things be, lol. Attempt to find humor in it, if I can
gustofwind
Rookie
And1: 649

Post#10 » by gustofwind » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:14 pm

So sorry guys for misspelling D'Alessandro's name. It' s been corrected. Very embarrassing. :(

Also, I added to initial thread post, but kudos also to Malone for receiving another job. He deserved it.

Anyway, carry on. :)

Edit: moderators: If you happen to have a chance to make the name correction in the titles of the replies I would appreciate it. Nonetheless, I understand if it's not a big priority.

Edit 2: Thanks for the correction. :)
think peaceful thoughts :meditate:
Manimal
Starter
And1: 1,524

Post#11 » by Manimal » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:10 am

PaKwAn wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Denver fan called me dishonest and said I was making up stories when I said Malone/PDA weren't on speaking terms for months before the firing.

Those denver posters keep saying we only blame 1 side of the story... vivek had his faults as well and kings fans have acknowledged that and has blamed him for his mistakes.. but because they hired the guy the kings hated they are siding with him and have ignored the part where pete and mullin were the cause of most of the problems...

Pete was with the Nuggets' FO for a few years before taking the Kings job, and helped Masai Ujiri retool and improve the team when Melo demanded a trade. His years in Denver were a huge success. So Denver fans aren't "ignoring problems he caused with the Kings," simply because we never had those experiences with him.

And I do think from reading through some of the comments from the other thread you guys have about this, that it shows how convoluted the perspective is on what actually happened with Sacramento's management. Everyone was saying that Pete's re-hiring in Denver completely ended any chance Malone had of getting the HC job, because that's how much Pete hated him. And yet, here we are a few days later, and Pete is the one who brought the final endorsement to hire him. So either he had a complete change of heart about the guy, or maybe you guys just have the wrong impression on what actually happened with that situation in Sacramento.

I understand the intense fan hate perspective, and how we all tend to single out one guy for the downfalls of the organization. For us the last go round it was Brian Shaw. Other teams fans hate and single out ownership. Others the GM. Doesn't mean it's always founded 100% reasonably though, that's all I'm saying.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#12 » by blind prophet » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:11 am

Kings2013 wrote:
blind prophet wrote:Pointless to defend the owner, they will pull the FO did not know about Vlade's role till a few days in, NBA 3.0, "Stauskas" etc.

Its going to teach me a lesson about patience, this crap. Having your owner wrongfully the butt of a joke.. For the next couple of years we are going to see this crap. I just want to jump down folks throats when I see it, but I guess they are only responding to what they read from the anti-vivek national media... just gotta ignore it. Learn to let things be, lol. Attempt to find humor in it, if I can

Classic PR, and if you are ahead of the game, there are all sorts of ways to minimize you. Call you a conspiracy theorist, call you a homer etc.

If you want to know how bad it gets out there check out Edward Bernays sometime, Sigmund Freud's nephew. I have a psychology background and have owned/ran an alternative media/forum covering all sorts of things with investigations.

But read up on some of the techniques and the "Press release" as one of the weapons of choice. To give you an idea Bernay's made bacon and eggs the staple breakfast and got women to smoke if you want an idea how serious these guys can be out there, although this is baby stuff in comparison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#13 » by blind prophet » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:23 am

Manimal wrote:
PaKwAn wrote:

Pete was with the Nuggets' FO for a few years before taking the Kings job, and helped Masai Ujiri retool and improve the team when Melo demanded a trade. His years in Denver were a huge success. So Denver fans aren't "ignoring problems he caused with the Kings," simply because we never had those experiences with him.

And I do think from reading through some of the comments from the other thread you guys have about this, that it shows how convoluted the perspective is on what actually happened with Sacramento's management. Everyone was saying that Pete's re-hiring in Denver completely ended any chance Malone had of getting the HC job, because that's how much Pete hated him. And yet, here we are a few days later, and Pete is the one who brought the final endorsement to hire him. So either he had a complete change of heart about the guy, or maybe you guys just have the wrong impression on what actually happened with that situation in Sacramento.

I understand the intense fan hate perspective, and how we all tend to single out one guy for the downfalls of the organization. For us the last go round it was Brian Shaw. Other teams fans hate and single out ownership. Others the GM. Doesn't mean it's always founded 100% reasonably though, that's all I'm saying.

We've always had less than desirable press with the national writers or media.

We are used to it, be it with the arena issues, the Maloofs, Cousins attitude, this or anything else out there.

Without being local, it is hard to see where some of us are coming from, because some of our local coverage had integrity, even still politics kept some of things in the past in house till it was safe to come out.

Not saying all local coverage is accurate or they are all saints, but we've never been represented well beyond the local level in over 10 years.
Cicero
Junior
And1: 156

Re: Nuggets hire Malone: What does this say about his relationship to D'Alessandro? 

Post#14 » by Cicero » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:55 am

I get people saying Pete might not be in a position of power and Malone would be above him this time around, but still, it is a bit strange. Surely bad blood or poor relationships between any employees, high and low, hierarchy aside, are something an organization would make sure they're aware of. Which does lean towards Pete and Mike being cooler with each other than one would think, or at least willing to work together. Sure, you can say "they're both highly paid professionals anyway" but one would think they'd make sure there was no bad blood
All this kind of talk is just fans poking at shadows anyway tho
blind prophet
RealGM

Re: Nuggets hire Malone: What does this say about his relationship to D'Alessandro? 

Post#15 » by blind prophet » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:08 am

Cicero wrote:I get people saying Pete might not be in a position of power and Malone would be above him this time around, but still, it is a bit strange. Surely bad blood or poor relationships between any employees, high and low, hierarchy aside, are something an organization would make sure they're aware of. Which does lean towards Pete and Mike being cooler with each other than one would think, or at least willing to work together. Sure, you can say "they're both highly paid professionals anyway" but one would think they'd make sure there was no bad blood
All this kind of talk is just fans poking at shadows anyway tho

Same level of assumption as they can be professional.

You can count on Pete, Mullin, or their camps as being the leaks painting them in the best possible light there is.

And we know who is usually correct and less agenda driven here locally.

We've been misrepresented before, nothing new under the sun with us.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#16 » by teerfour+40LG » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:02 am

Can't forget about Royce White, the assistant coaching situation last summer, and Isaiah Thomas. All were anti-Malone moves by Pete D'Alessandro.

There's nothing really wrong with Vivek being the butt of jokes. He's earned it by hiring Pete & Mullin, trusting Pete & Mullin, and possibly forcing the signing of Carl Landry. The Sacramento spin on him is that he's learned his lesson, but he just got done repeating the same mistake he made two years ago by forcing the signing of George Karl. Regardless of that, Sac's spin isn't going to be bought nationally until next season and only if the team plays well. We'll just have to wait.

Anyway, forget what this says about Pete. What does it say about coaching prodigy Melvin Hunt? WILL HE JOIN GEORGE KARL'S STAFF HERE IN SAC?
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#17 » by ICMTM » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:49 am

At the end of the day if you want a job...you do the job.
KANGZZZZZ!
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#18 » by Kings2013 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:13 am

Yeah, for Malone beggars can't be choosers, it's not like he's of the status to pick and choose

The Nuggets brass probably bought the national line that Vivek was responsible for Malones firing and thought nothing of the bad blood
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#19 » by ICMTM » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:25 pm

If you really look at it PDA was just a bad GM. Go back in the archives. I've been saying this for a while now. Everyone else said "no we need to give it time," or "they just got here" or "we hired the coach before the GM." Stop spinning. The real mistake was hiring PDA as a GM. It's been corrected. Everyone else sees it. Lets go forward.
KANGZZZZZ!

Return to Sacramento Kings