ImageImageImageImageImage

Can We Just Fire Karl Now And Be Done With it.

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Re: Can We Just Fire Karl Now And Be Done With it. 

Post#181 » by Kings2013 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:55 am

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/25242101/karl-says-cousins-rift-exaggerated-excited-about-kings-potential

The origin of Karl's rift with Cousins was a statement the coach made in the spring that everyone on the roster was tradable, followed by rumblings that Karl himself was shopping Cousins to other teams.

"All that stuff is so out there," said Karl, who nonetheless admitted that hypothetical conversations about trading Cousins occurred "behind closed doors."

"As a coach, in meetings every year and maybe four or five times a year, you talk about what-ifs," Karl said. "And 99 percent of what-ifs never happen. But isn't it our job to talk about what-ifs? Does this make us better? Does this get us in a better place? That's our job.

"There was never a discussion in that area even close to happening, in my opinion," he said. "... Never in the whole time of this experience did I ever think that I wasn't going to coach Cuz."

How does he coach him? How do Karl and Cousins find that elusive common ground?

"There's no question it's winning," Karl said. "I think organizations spend a lot of time philosophizing and don't understand the key is winning. Taking young players, building through the draft ... the key to success in this league is, if you put too much losing in your building, you're going to have a tough, tough time overcoming that atmosphere.

"Am I happy [the rift] happened? No," he said. "I'm sure I have some responsibility for that. But I think the thing people don't understand is, there's some common ground here. We're frustrasted with losing. We're competitors. We want to win. And sometimes when that's the atmosphere that you're in, negative things occur."

To me personally its obviously true that organizations discuss all hypotheticals. It just doesn't jive with Cousins personality, hence why we are where we are, to not be told he is one of the top talents in the league that the organization will build around. Karl still doesn't get it, and I don't think he will be on the same page as Cuz, but we will see
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#182 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:53 am

They will be on the same page as soon as Cousins realizes that it's about the team and not the degree of love your coach gives you in an interview. I just hope it's not to late for him to learn from other great players and not turn into a total knuckle head. Hopefully he can buy into Vlade and Karl's message. Jordan Magic Kobe Duncan all needed leaders to bring something else out of them to reach their full potential.

Guys like Lebron or Shaq are athletic phenoms and could dominate with their just being bigger or stronger and Cuz isn't in that category. Most need a great coach or GM. Someone that isn't gonna kiss their ass and be their yes man but will challenge and push them to be better. Cousins has that in front of him right now. I just hope that he can see it and take advantage and he isn't too far gone on a head trip of his own greatest after one all-star game and one 2nd team All NBA in his 5th year.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#183 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:02 pm

Karl interview from Summer league. Some great stuff from Dave and Mo

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/v4hhkajqRcQ[/YouTube]

link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4hhkajqRcQ

Think we have a chance to bring Hawkins to camp despite him not playing in summer league.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#184 » by Kings2013 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:16 pm

There has been bad blood since the summer with Karl and Cuz, and I maintain, respectfully, the guy has aged or his health bouts have taken a lot out of him

I don't think he will be fired soon for a couple reasons. It's early, but the Kings are already a joke in the league as far as instability and coaching carousel, as well as the fact that new coaches cost. If things continue on the course, and players aren't happy, I can see a Asst taking over behind the scenes and Karl acting as something as a figure head. But it's early
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#185 » by bleeds_purple » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:51 pm

There isn't much to like from his end.

Starting lineup changes every game. Injuries account for some of this but not all.

Our pick and roll defense seems to be random with no set style.

He goes smallball at times when opposing bigs are eating us up. And even in those small ball lineups the spacing is garbage anyway.

Has the team playing too fast which does not play to the strengths of Cousins or Gay. Remember when we were winning games early last year and both those guys were dominating in the post? Now look - Cousins probably spends more time at the three point than in the low post. I wish I was exaggerating here.

He lifelessly sits on the bench the entire game even when the situation calls for him to take a more active roll.

All of my pessimistic views regarding Karl are unfortunately coming true. From day one I thought it was a stupid hiring decision. This is a guy with decades of experience in the league with no meaningful success to show for it. I think back to the beginning of last year and the style Malone had us playing and our winning record at the time. I can only imagine how good the results would be if we had the roster improvements now with the style we were playing back then.

Show me some positivity guys - what am I missing?
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#186 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:01 pm

It's not all Karl, but lets just say he's doing many of the things mentioned above in Bleeds_Purple's post that can kill teams chemistry and breeds inconsistencies on the floor. Testing things out is one thing, but this is going too far.

Karl has to realize the pieces he has and cater to them, not the other way around. I really felt like Karl didn't do his team much service with the way he handled preseason and yes, as predicted, it's beginning to show it's effects.

Oddly enough, I thought the Kings were going to get that A-hole drill SGT. of a coach Karl has been and worried about that attitude long before he was even a serious blip on the radar, I wonder if he's tempered his own style to suit the players? That might be one of the reasons he's acting the way he has been. Normally by now you start hearing the rumblings and shot calling in the media, so I guess that's a good thing.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#187 » by Kings2013 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:37 pm

Aside from Cuz/Gay, playing fast might not suit others. I'm thinking Ben. Paraphrasing Rudy last night he said something to the effect that "we have young guys who are being asked to do (thinking/making plays) a lot"
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#188 » by blind prophet » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:46 pm

I think we are sort of stuck here. You've got to back Karl as much as reasonable, and if it doesn't work out, find someone else after the season.

This should have been done over the summer, or after this season.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#189 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:40 am

blind prophet wrote:I think we are sort of stuck here. You've got to back Karl as much as reasonable, and if it doesn't work out, find someone else after the season.

Nah, if this continues to go down hill this fast and Cousins doesn't demand out you have to make a splashy move. More so, Vlade needs to find the guy he wants that can work with the team he built. Lets not forget, this is another situation where the coach and the GM weren't a package kind of thing. There was no major preconceived plan with this one just like Malone/PDA.

They need to give it time and just hope they can make adjustments quickly while getting something going against a less difficult schedule as well. From the blurbs I've read from various places it sounds like the players let the coaches know they'd like a change up some places in terms of their strategy. Also yanking guys left and right was probably discussed as well. This first play is on the coaching staff, and if the players then can't make it work it's no guess what's next, the question is who gets sent packing?
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#190 » by Kings2013 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:18 am

Jason Jones ‏@mr_jasonjones 24s24 seconds ago

Does Karl have energy to finish the season? Many have noted to me (in/out the org) Chad Iske doing a lot of the work

As I said, you could have a situation where the Asst is the acting coach behind the scenes if they don't want to fire Karl
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#191 » by blind prophet » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:45 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:
blind prophet wrote:I think we are sort of stuck here. You've got to back Karl as much as reasonable, and if it doesn't work out, find someone else after the season.

Nah, if this continues to go down hill this fast and Cousins doesn't demand out you have to make a splashy move. More so, Vlade needs to find the guy he wants that can work with the team he built. Lets not forget, this is another situation where the coach and the GM weren't a package kind of thing. There was no major preconceived plan with this one just like Malone/PDA.

They need to give it time and just hope they can make adjustments quickly while getting something going against a less difficult schedule as well. From the blurbs I've read from various places it sounds like the players let the coaches know they'd like a change up some places in terms of their strategy. Also yanking guys left and right was probably discussed as well. This first play is on the coaching staff, and if the players then can't make it work it's no guess what's next, the question is who gets sent packing?

Hmmm

I guess how bad does it need to be to just dump the guy?

It would have to be pretty bad IMO, we'd have a Corbin 2.0 scenario. I really hope things are at least decent enough to last till the end of the season.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#192 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:54 am

Kings2013 wrote:Jason Jones ‏@mr_jasonjones 24s24 seconds ago

Does Karl have energy to finish the season? Many have noted to me (in/out the org) Chad Iske doing a lot of the work

As I said, you could have a situation where the Asst is the acting coach behind the scenes if they don't want to fire Karl

That's very interesting information there. Wasn't it talked about before that Karl wanted Iske because he's been kind of grooming him as his disciple for awhile now?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#193 » by City of Trees » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:26 pm

So we got a shell of George Karl... Hmmm who didn't see that coming?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
Marcus50
Junior
And1: 85

Post#194 » by Marcus50 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:04 pm

It is beginning to look like management have to make a call about keeping Karl or Cousins because keeping both is looking less and less realistic.

If Karl is fired who do you replace him with. I'm not sure that Thibido is going to work with a team that has Sacramento's problems right now. Perhaps a Scott Brooks type who is a bit more user friendly could steady the ship.

If Cousins is to be traded who to go for, A bunch of picks and a young further all star or some peices that are useful right now would be managements problems.

Whichever way it goes management has to get across this
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,506

Post#195 » by codydaze » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:06 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/664563520655101952[/tweet]

Oh god.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#196 » by KF10 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:13 pm

benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#197 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:26 pm

It took less then 10 games for the vultures to start again...we shouldn't be surprised.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#198 » by blind prophet » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:35 pm

Relax fellas, nothing new under the Sleep Train.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DED812HKWyM[/youtube]
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#199 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:53 pm

Sorry, but he should be. I could tell in preseason the seeds being planted merely from a focus perspective were going to likely cause chemistry issues sooner or later. Guess it was sooner. Now is where Karl comes back to form because he needs to not just for the team but himself. Karl has always struck me as the type that thrives with the chips are down, so we'll see if he can work some magic.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#200 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:57 pm

The Pistons game is going to be the most interesting game this season. Does the team give up in protest? Or do they go all out? Karl is still the only one that can change the on court product relative to their strategy, but the players energy level will tell us all we need to know.

Return to Sacramento Kings