SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: Draft Day 2015 

Post#141 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:31 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
On a pick and roll, where would Cousins be getting the ball? Between the three point line and foulline. Right where he does some of his best work breaking down his defender and getting to the basket or getting off his mid range shot with footwork and shot fakes or just bullying his way to the rim. With a pick and role he has the added advantage of a possible switch to a smaller defender or his man being out of position to stop his attack on the lane. That causes a domino effect of defensive rotation that a good passing big man can take advantage of. Every play doesn't have to be him posting up on the block or going iso at the foul line even tho those are his strengths. Those are also what makes our offense stop. Im not saying that we abandon those strong areas of his game. They will always be there and he has those almost perfected as go to moves when he wants to get a bucket. What I am saying is we develop different aspects of his game that will help his teammates get better and have easier offensive opportunities. Make the team better. Pretty good goal, right.

BTW when talking about the SF, the only time you used the word "if" was when you threatened to call the pick (whatever you meant by that) if he did go after a sf. Vlade said that in reference to looking for a guy in free agency to play SF while Rudy plays the 4.

Right now our roster is :
DMC 6'11 pf/c, WCS 7'0 c/pf,
JT 6'11 pf/c, Moreland 6'10 pf, Landry 6'9 pf,
Gay 6'8 sf/pf,
Stauskas 6'6 sg, Mclemore 6'5 sg,
Collison 6'0 pg, McCallum 6'3 Stockton 5'11 pg.

Notice what isn't on the roster. A backup small forward. Now this SF is gonna have to be able to check guys like Harrison Barnes 6'8, Marcus Morris 6'8 and Wilson Chandler 6'8. Vlade knew what he was saying when he sf and pg and didn't say 2-3 combo player and pg. Its the same reason that we signed Omri Casspi, a 6'9 sf last year. If Rudy goes down, what would we do at the position? I'm sure Stauskas and Landry could do it but it isn't ideal and we wouldn't want a 6'5-6'7 guy we signed for 2mil a year starting at the 3. Now taking into account the money we have to spend, if we resign Casspi or pick up a guy like Jared Dudley 6'7 then we can think about going after a guy like Alan Anderson 6'6 or Brandon Rush 6'6 that more fit the combo 2-3 mold you wanted. But going directly off of the question he was asked he answered what the team needed and what he was looking for. You stated that you disagreed with his statement by saying "No, Vlade" and I called you on it. Period.

I was looking more into the roll man stat and no question, that has to be including pop situations which would explain the lower efficiency in pnr from Cuz. As a true finisher at the rim I counted single digits with him in a pick and roll as a FINISHER at the rim. Which was my original point. And catching the ball and stopping the drive to make an adjustment isn't a true pick and roll finish. Cousins ball handling ability and coordination is what makes him so good in iso in the mid post. He doesn't need pick and roll to get looks at the rim.

If you're getting the ball to Cuz in the high post you don't need a pick and roll to start almost every set, which they did, that's just a waste of a) energy in setting as screen and b) time. I like what they did at times last year which was using pick and roll to create body movement but it's still not the most efficient way though and isn't best for spacing.

My point is this, if Cuz is in pick and roll, let him pop, not dive. That's more movement offensively than you need out of Cousins. I think using him much in the same way Chris Webber was used in pick and roll is a good idea. Get that ball up high to Cousins off the pick and roll, and give him space, a cutter, or the open look. Should he be used as a dive man one and awhile? Sure, but too many plays start with a pick and roll and have for a few years now. Of course, part of that is probably partially do to the consistent lack of familiarity between coach and players. 9 coaches in 10 years will do that to you.

And in the end it all depends what he means by SF. I've already stated what my opinion is on that. And you "called me out" for disagreeing? If they plan to play small, just like with the complications brought forth with Nik and Ben both finding minutes, it's more likely they get full value out of a player that can play more than one position. Like I said before, it all depends on the price point. I personally think they should look at the best fit possible, in the most open position, even if it means a higher price tag. No more quantity over quality. I do want to hear them at least try to nab one of those elite defensive wings available first.

Where did you count single digits with him as finisher at the rim in a pick and roll. The stats aren't broken down to where the finish is off the play. Atleast not in the places Ive seen and I know you didn't look back at every game. You saying his game isn't finishing at the rim whether it is from a guard initiated drive or a post up is just dumb. If you look at his percentages as a roll man, in iso and on post ups and compare them to his #'s on putbacks and handoffs the shots closer to the rim or having the mostly likely chance to have been taken close to the rim have a much higher success rate obviously. Also his post ups and put backs take up more then 40% of his possessions. So using that ball handling and coordination off pick and rolls would still be a nice thing to add to his game and to expand because it combines his strengthens and puts the defense at a disadvantage and creates for his teammates and like I said it can stay as a PART of his game, not every time down.

What he means by SF is exactly what he said, a SF. As you have already acknowledged, we ran into problems finding mins for both Ben and Nik and we should should look at the best fit possible, in the most open position. Well the open position as I have shown is SF just like what vlade said. If we move ben or nik then the open position will provide a chance to add a 2-3 combo or hell we could even use the 6'6 205 lb staskas as a combo 2-3. But as the roster is currently, your opinion is misguided in that regard.

By saying you want no more quantity over quality would PROBABLY kicks Casspi out of the running since he is a c level player at best even tho the chemistry with the team is good. I don't see Stockton sticking in the nba long term because of his size so that leaves 2 active roster spots. How would you fill them with the 8.5-10.5mil cap space we have?

I watched pretty closely in most games, my opinion on them hammering pick and roll is pretty well known around these parts, haha. I usually called it out after the game so you can probably check back through the game threads if you like.

Wait, when did I ever say out of a post up? If I did it must have been a typo. Finishing off of his own created shot IS his game. Giving him the ball and letting him face up and attack the rim IS his game. Asking him to finish at the rim, a la pick and roll, which is better if you are a quick finisher and preferably an above the rim finisher is not his game. He's a smooth offensive player who uses his skill to finish, not speed and leaping ability. He's mostly a below the rim finisher. Great pick and roll finishers are usually above the rim types, Amare, Dwight, etc who get off the floor before defender can challenge. Cousins is more likely to use the dribble or pump fake to finish, that's not an efficient pick and roll player and the stats illustrate that.

It would depend on what Casspi costs to bring back, but no, I would certainly consider him quality with the way he fit in. I'm not sure if I'd be so happy if he represented the majority share of the talent haul this summer, but I'd take him over a more talented bad fit any day. I would hope they'd look to stretch one of JT or Landry, that could kick that space up to around 12 million. That's potential Wes Matthews or Damarre Carroll territory. If they landed one of those players, or a cheaper similar version via trade or FA I think they're looking pretty good. Beyond that maybe using one of Nik or Ben in a trade with the other PF left on the roster. Then there is always looking for some min guys to buff it out, like you kind of suggested. There are actually some decent players that didn't get drafted in this years draft out there available. I think the summer league team should be based around looking for someone that can stick.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#142 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:48 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
I was looking more into the roll man stat and no question, that has to be including pop situations which would explain the lower efficiency in pnr from Cuz. As a true finisher at the rim I counted single digits with him in a pick and roll as a FINISHER at the rim. Which was my original point. And catching the ball and stopping the drive to make an adjustment isn't a true pick and roll finish. Cousins ball handling ability and coordination is what makes him so good in iso in the mid post. He doesn't need pick and roll to get looks at the rim.

If you're getting the ball to Cuz in the high post you don't need a pick and roll to start almost every set, which they did, that's just a waste of a) energy in setting as screen and b) time. I like what they did at times last year which was using pick and roll to create body movement but it's still not the most efficient way though and isn't best for spacing.

My point is this, if Cuz is in pick and roll, let him pop, not dive. That's more movement offensively than you need out of Cousins. I think using him much in the same way Chris Webber was used in pick and roll is a good idea. Get that ball up high to Cousins off the pick and roll, and give him space, a cutter, or the open look. Should he be used as a dive man one and awhile? Sure, but too many plays start with a pick and roll and have for a few years now. Of course, part of that is probably partially do to the consistent lack of familiarity between coach and players. 9 coaches in 10 years will do that to you.

And in the end it all depends what he means by SF. I've already stated what my opinion is on that. And you "called me out" for disagreeing? If they plan to play small, just like with the complications brought forth with Nik and Ben both finding minutes, it's more likely they get full value out of a player that can play more than one position. Like I said before, it all depends on the price point. I personally think they should look at the best fit possible, in the most open position, even if it means a higher price tag. No more quantity over quality. I do want to hear them at least try to nab one of those elite defensive wings available first.

Where did you count single digits with him as finisher at the rim in a pick and roll. The stats aren't broken down to where the finish is off the play. Atleast not in the places Ive seen and I know you didn't look back at every game. You saying his game isn't finishing at the rim whether it is from a guard initiated drive or a post up is just dumb. If you look at his percentages as a roll man, in iso and on post ups and compare them to his #'s on putbacks and handoffs the shots closer to the rim or having the mostly likely chance to have been taken close to the rim have a much higher success rate obviously. Also his post ups and put backs take up more then 40% of his possessions. So using that ball handling and coordination off pick and rolls would still be a nice thing to add to his game and to expand because it combines his strengthens and puts the defense at a disadvantage and creates for his teammates and like I said it can stay as a PART of his game, not every time down.

What he means by SF is exactly what he said, a SF. As you have already acknowledged, we ran into problems finding mins for both Ben and Nik and we should should look at the best fit possible, in the most open position. Well the open position as I have shown is SF just like what vlade said. If we move ben or nik then the open position will provide a chance to add a 2-3 combo or hell we could even use the 6'6 205 lb staskas as a combo 2-3. But as the roster is currently, your opinion is misguided in that regard.

By saying you want no more quantity over quality would PROBABLY kicks Casspi out of the running since he is a c level player at best even tho the chemistry with the team is good. I don't see Stockton sticking in the nba long term because of his size so that leaves 2 active roster spots. How would you fill them with the 8.5-10.5mil cap space we have?

I watched pretty closely in most games, my opinion on them hammering pick and roll is pretty well known around these parts, haha. I usually called it out after the game so you can probably check back through the game threads if you like.

Wait, when did I ever say out of a post up? If I did it must have been a typo. Finishing off of his own created shot IS his game. Giving him the ball and letting him face up and attack the rim IS his game. Asking him to finish at the rim, a la pick and roll, which is better if you are a quick finisher and preferably an above the rim finisher is not his game. He's a smooth offensive player who uses his skill to finish, not speed and leaping ability. He's mostly a below the rim finisher. Great pick and roll finishers are usually above the rim types, Amare, Dwight, etc who get off the floor before defender can challenge. Cousins is more likely to use the dribble or pump fake to finish, that's not an efficient pick and roll player and the stats illustrate that.

It would depend on what Casspi costs to bring back, but no, I would certainly consider him quality with the way he fit in. I'm not sure if I'd be so happy if he represented the majority share of the talent haul this summer, but I'd take him over a more talented bad fit any day. I would hope they'd look to stretch one of JT or Landry, that could kick that space up to around 12 million. That's potential Wes Matthews or Damarre Carroll territory. If they landed one of those players, or a cheaper similar version via trade or FA I think they're looking pretty good. Beyond that maybe using one of Nik or Ben in a trade with the other PF left on the roster. Then there is always looking for some min guys to buff it out, like you kind of suggested. There are actually some decent players that didn't get drafted in this years draft out there available. I think the summer league team should be based around looking for someone that can stick.

We can go on and on like this forever and I was willing to haha until I realized we won't change each others opinion about it and really we aren't disagreeing on that much. Truss without either person ceding any ground...Deal?
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#143 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:24 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

We can go on and on like this forever and I was willing to haha until I realized we won't change each others opinion about it and really we aren't disagreeing on that much. Truss without either person ceding any ground...Deal?

I think for the most part we're on the same page. I'm OK with pick and roll as long as they aren't expecting Cuz to be Amare Stoudemire. No big. :D
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#144 » by asdfgh » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:34 pm

Is he Joakim Noah's long lost brother?
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#145 » by ICMTM » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:57 pm

tyguy wrote:
ICMTM wrote:I was at a draft party, and really the only person who was unhappy with the pick was Bobby Jackson. I wasn't going to say anything but he went on Radio and said it (which is cool...you know he's a real guy). The place went up in cheers. Same place last year and the place went silent for Nik Stauskas.
I didn't listen to the radio program. Who did Jackson want, Mudiay?

Yeah.
KANGZZZZZ!
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#146 » by teerfour+40LG » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:27 pm

Doesn't Bobby know that we don't need Mudiay because we're getting RONDOOOOOOOO?

Return to Sacramento Kings