Jarl Thompandry dumped with Sauce and future 1st for cap room

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: Jarl Thompandry dumped with Sauce and future 1st for cap room 

Post#301 » by City of Trees » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:15 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:If you are to go by what has been said and implied Rondo/Collison/Casspi/Gay/Cuz would probably be a serious candidate to start, or at least play major minutes together. I'm not totally sold on it, but it could work if Rondo can conjure up some All-star level defensive abilities.

In reality though, I don't think he can truly afford to play Collison and Rondo too much together considering the lack of depth at PG right now.

Last years problems with shooting are much the same this year. You still have a SG spot with two players who are probably SG's and not much else. Whether or not either can slide to SF will be huge. Not knowing what they plan to do next to Cuz the front court has less shooting than last year as well probably. Whether Cauley-Stein gets major minutes and can shoot will also be huge if they plan to go with a bigger lineup.

I'd think a Rondo/Collison/Gay/WCS/Cousins line up is much better

Starting two pg's you'd have to think Collison gets beat guarding 2 guards every now and then. Shot blocking is key with a 2 PG line up. I think you gotta have Trill in there... Not only is Collison a concern but so is Rondo. Will he return to form or will he allow penetration as well?

Coming off the bench you got a number of wing players fighting for time in Ben, Bellinelli, Butler, and Casspi with your defensive anchor Koufus.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#302 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:11 pm

City of Trees wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:If you are to go by what has been said and implied Rondo/Collison/Casspi/Gay/Cuz would probably be a serious candidate to start, or at least play major minutes together. I'm not totally sold on it, but it could work if Rondo can conjure up some All-star level defensive abilities.

In reality though, I don't think he can truly afford to play Collison and Rondo too much together considering the lack of depth at PG right now.

Last years problems with shooting are much the same this year. You still have a SG spot with two players who are probably SG's and not much else. Whether or not either can slide to SF will be huge. Not knowing what they plan to do next to Cuz the front court has less shooting than last year as well probably. Whether Cauley-Stein gets major minutes and can shoot will also be huge if they plan to go with a bigger lineup.

I'd think a Rondo/Collison/Gay/WCS/Cousins line up is much better

Starting two pg's you'd have to think Collison gets beat guarding 2 guards every now and then. Shot blocking is key with a 2 PG line up. I think you gotta have Trill in there... Not only is Collison a concern but so is Rondo. Will he return to form or will he allow penetration as well?

Coming off the bench you got a number of wing players fighting for time in Ben, Bellinelli, Butler, and Casspi with your defensive anchor Koufus.

I think Ben will start. He was 15th in the league in mins, started every game and played 32mpg last yr many don't realize. Vlade has said he is the future of the franchise. I doubt he doesn't start even if his mins go down to the 26-30 range with Belinelli and Butler being better options then Staukas.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#303 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:54 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CarmichaelDave/status/623379906639101952[/tweet]

I can see us starting Rondo Ben Gay DMC Koufos.

Then could be Koufos out, Collison in. Rondo Collison Ben Gay DMC.
Then Rondo and DMC out, Casspi and WCS in. Collison Ben Casspi Gay WCS
Halftime
Then Ben and Gay out, Belinelli and DMC in. Collison Belinelli Casspi DMC WCS
Then Casspi Collison and WCS out, Rondo Gay and Koufos in. Rondo Beli Gay DMC Koufos
Then Belli and Koufos out, Ben and Collison in to end game. Rondo Collison Ben Gay DMC (the end of game lineup would be based on match-up, score, fouls and coaching.)
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#304 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:13 pm

I just hope Karl uses training camp and preseason to somewhat experiment and see what looks like the best lineup. Being versatile is good and all but any good team has a "go to" lineup as their main source of consistency. I hope he really looks for that lineup before the season starts. I'm not sure there is a perfect lineup with this squad but something should work that doesn't involve random substitution patterns from game to game.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#305 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:21 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:I just hope Karl uses training camp and preseason to somewhat experiment and see what looks like the best lineup. Being versatile is good and all but any good team has a "go to" lineup as their main source of consistency. I hope he really looks for that lineup before the season starts. I'm not sure there is a perfect lineup with this squad but something should work that doesn't involve random substitution patterns from game to game.

Yup, totally agree. I think the 9 man rotation of Rondo Ben Gay DMC Koufos Collison WCS Casspi Belinelli will be what will works and will be the main source of consistency. I posted a Karl interview earlier today in the Karl topic where he says that he will use his coaching meetings and training camp to put together the best lineups along with other good stuff.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#306 » by Kings2013 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:52 pm

If this is true I wonder if they had to grant Koufos that to bring him in. I know he wanted to start and may have been holding out for that. We may not have been in a position to bargain as I believe he was one of the last quality FAs on the market.

I think Kosta would be imposing with Cuz, as I said though I question Cuz getting up and down the floor with and checking on the perimeter the modern PF
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#307 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:07 am

We'll see what happens but I can't see an opposing coach not completely choking off the paint against a unit with Rondo, Cuz, and Koufos. If Karl wants to run, that's not the tandem to do it with and it would be destined for failure. That lineup should be a control the defensive end and shot clock tandem.

I was going over some shot charts the other day and one interesting thing about Rondo are his short corner 3 numbers aren't too bad. Not a lot of quantity but that could be his way of playing off the ball. I did notice in Dallas when watching them post trade that they did that with him at times.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,447

Post#308 » by KF10 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:28 am

Spacing will be a concern if they start those three as mentioned but I don't think it is entirely a deal-breaker, imo. As much flak Rondo gets for his shooting, his mid-range jumper is very underrated. It's pretty darn respectable just by skimming through his numbers. Same goes with Cousins with his top of the key jumper too.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#309 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:04 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:We'll see what happens but I can't see an opposing coach not completely choking off the paint against a unit with Rondo, Cuz, and Koufos. If Karl wants to run, that's not the tandem to do it with and it would be destined for failure. That lineup should be a control the defensive end and shot clock tandem.

I was going over some shot charts the other day and one interesting thing about Rondo are his short corner 3 numbers aren't too bad. Not a lot of quantity but that could be his way of playing off the ball. I did notice in Dallas when watching them post trade that they did that with him at times.

Yes, Karl wants to run but it is a part of the gameplan, not the whole thing. SMH...Having a franchise player like DMC means that probably 40% of the gameplan will be tailored to his strengths or things he can do well. That leaves 60% of the plan to diversify your offense. Plus DMC can play an uptempo style sometimes.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#310 » by City of Trees » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:13 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:We'll see what happens but I can't see an opposing coach not completely choking off the paint against a unit with Rondo, Cuz, and Koufos. If Karl wants to run, that's not the tandem to do it with and it would be destined for failure. That lineup should be a control the defensive end and shot clock tandem.

Yes, Karl wants to run but it is a part of the gameplan, not the whole thing. SMH...Having a franchise player like DMC means that probably 40% of the gameplan will be tailored to his strengths or things he can do well. That leaves 60% of the plan to diversify your offense. Plus DMC can play an uptempo style sometimes.

Yeah Karl can have running line ups and banger line ups

Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#311 » by Kings2013 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:55 am

To put some final thoughts on this. I like the end result. Koufos has the potential to be one of our better players. He can be impactful with an expanded role

With that said I have reservations about how Vlade and the FO pursued this. Not only how they acquired the cap but the fact that they were trying to spend it all on an Achilles ruptured Matthews and Rondo which I might have differences with.

Good end result but still not 100% certain with the FO, although they made a lot of smart signings this summer, need to see more. I hope Matthews does well and shows that he can still be good and reasonably athletic so we know what the FO was pursuing
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#312 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:07 am

Well, we'll see what kind of reservations there are if and when the Kings appear to still sorely lack that SG that can lock down the competition on one end and hit 3's on the other. Matthews situation is what it is but at least Vlade knew this teams biggest weakness, just sucks that it still doesn't appear to be solved at this point. We'll see what Ben can do on D moving forward right now he'll have to be the answer and he has the physical tools to be really good. Obviously the size and strength most likely won't be.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#313 » by blind prophet » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:06 pm

Thompson moved for Wallace today if you wanted to see comparative value the 76ers could find.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,494

Post#314 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Aug 1, 2015 12:16 am

They basically just took a bigger expiring deal with the chance of getting him to take a buyout
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#315 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:41 am

I think the main issue with this trade was it was an all in type of move. The problem being you don't go all in for Rondo and Belly unless you view them as finishing pieces for a championship caliber roster.

That's not the case. Sac looks to miss the playoffs regardless of whether Cousins is on the floor and Rondo will likely walk. Sauce has turned out to be just abysmal but that's the smallest of silver linings considering the Kings still used a top ten pick to select him.

The worst part of the trade has to be the Kings no longer control the future direction of their own franchise. Their drafting moving forward will be predicated on what the sixer do or don't do.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#316 » by Kings2013 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:26 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:The worst part of the trade has to be the Kings no longer control the future direction of their own franchise. Their drafting moving forward will be predicated on what the sixer do or don't do.

Which is nothing?

The 'all in' is adding talent to pursuade Cousins/Gay to remain with the team past the next 2/3 years given their the best players the franchise has had, doing nothing would have secured that answer.

Adding a package, including a top ten PG who has expressed loyalty to the region and may enter a 30's mental prime and elongated career a la Kidd/Nash may well be worth what was given up, time will tell. Last year was the year before the cap starts to rise, and acquiring role players like Koufos/Belinelli becomes tougher

With Cousins on the floor the team is .500, a playoff team in the west (8-6 when he's played all game I believe). The team has been injured and played a tough schedule. It's not about this year, Rondo/Gay/Cousins/WCS etc can grow into a nice core
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#317 » by enderwilson » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:10 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:I think the main issue with this trade was it was an all in type of move. The problem being you don't go all in for Rondo and Belly unless you view them as finishing pieces for a championship caliber roster.

That's not the case. Sac looks to miss the playoffs regardless of whether Cousins is on the floor and Rondo will likely walk. Sauce has turned out to be just abysmal but that's the smallest of silver linings considering the Kings still used a top ten pick to select him.

The worst part of the trade has to be the Kings no longer control the future direction of their own franchise. Their drafting moving forward will be predicated on what the sixer do or don't do.

What do you mean by this specifically? Basically we traded our draft position for salary space. We didn't loose our picks. We still get to draft. The worst possible scenario would be that we end up drafting higher than Philly and they exercise their right to swap positions. I believe they have this option for the next tree years or so. But what's the chances that this is ever going to happen before the terms of the trade expire? Sure Sac is still struggling, but if you're actually paying attention to what the team in the other half of this trade is doing, you wouldn't be expressing such concern.

What do you mean "all in for Rondo and Belly"? Are you saying that Rondo isn't worth 9mil/year with the way he's playing? (current behavioral issues not withstanding) Are you saying that having a sharpshooter like Belli at 6.3 mil per is not worth it for a sorry shooting team like Sacramento? Much less the fact that these are practically bargain basement prices for proven vets with playoff and championship experience.

So between what we have now, and standing pat with what we had, you argue that we should have stood pat? I want to hear how keeping no salary cap flexibility, along with Stauskas, Thompson, and Landry would have made this a better team either now, or in the future. Look at the talent that we have and what we signed them for and point out how what we had would have been better. Map out how what we had gave us more potential.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,494

Post#318 » by RIPskaterdude » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:37 am

The Kings are 9-8 since starting 1-7 (due to Cousins being injured) and only 1 game out of the 8th seed...........
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: Jarl Thompandry dumped with Sauce and future 1st for cap room 

Post#319 » by City of Trees » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:41 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:The Kings are 9-8 since starting 1-7 (due to Cousins being injured) and only 1 game out of the 8th seed...........

All while still trying to learn how to play with each other .

enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Re: RE: Re: Jarl Thompandry dumped with Sauce and future 1st for cap room 

Post#320 » by enderwilson » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:39 pm

City of Trees wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:The Kings are 9-8 since starting 1-7 (due to Cousins being injured) and only 1 game out of the 8th seed...........

All while still trying to learn how to play with each other .

PHRASING!

Return to Sacramento Kings