ImageImageImageImageImage

Jarl Thompandry dumped with Sauce and future 1st for cap room

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

guitarpath
Sophomore
And1: 49

Re: Jarl Thompandry dumped with Sauce and future 1st for cap room 

Post#221 » by guitarpath » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:13 pm

This trade, while providing cap flexibility, does nothing to actually make the Kings better.

In the NBA, there are only four or five teams with a legitimate chance to win the championship. If you are not one of those teams, you are better off bottoming out like the Sixers instead of being above average or middling.

The Kings find themselves in the worst position: back of the lottery. They have no realistic chance to draft a franchise player with the first few picks and they cannot attract the true star free agents. So, the Kings are in a vicious cycle of signing mediocre fee agents to bloated contracts, ending up at the back of the lottery, and then eventually trading those bad contracts at a premium for talent and future draft assets, just so they can free up cap space to once again sign mediocre free agents to bloated contracts.

Its a road to nowhere.

Say what you will about the Sixers, but their strategy of not signing average free agents and maintaining maximum cap flexibility while accumulating 1st round picks is very smart. They are maximizing their chance to draft a franchise player and/or putting themselves in position to sign or trade for one with their draft assets and cap space.

The worst part of this from the Kings perspective is giving up a top ten-protected 1st round pick just two years after giving up another one. This is not how to build a contender. Also, the pick swap has a very real chance to bite them in at least one of those years, especially when one considers that the NBA may very well change the draft lottery system, increasing the odds of a team at the back end of the lottery getting into the top 3.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#222 » by ICMTM » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:18 pm

guitarpath wrote:This trade, while providing cap flexibility, does nothing to actually make the Kings better.

In the NBA, there are only four or five teams with a legitimate chance to win the championship. If you are not one of those teams, you are better off bottoming out like the Sixers instead of being above average or middling.

The Kings find themselves in the worst position: back of the lottery. They have no realistic chance to draft a franchise player with the first few picks and they cannot attract the true star free agents. So, the Kings are in a vicious cycle of signing mediocre fee agents to bloated contracts, ending up at the back of the lottery, and then eventually trading those bad contracts at a premium for talent and future draft assets, just so they can free up cap space to once again sign mediocre free agents to bloated contracts.

Its a road to nowhere.

Say what you will about the Sixers, but their strategy of not signing average free agents and maintaining maximum cap flexibility while accumulating 1st round picks is very smart. They are maximizing their chance to draft a franchise player and/or putting themselves in position to sign or trade for one with their draft assets and cap space.

The worst part of this from the Kings perspective is giving up a top ten-protected 1st round pick just two years after giving up another one. This is not how to build a contender. Also, the pick swap has a very real chance to bite them in at least one of those years, especially when one considers that the NBA may very well change the draft lottery system, increasing the odds of a team at the back end of the lottery getting into the top 3.

That's your opinion.
KANGZZZZZ!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#223 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:50 pm

The Kings have a franchise player and another that's close to one NOW. This is the part where the Kings fill the holes and make sense of it all. It all hinges on what Karl is all about at this point.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#224 » by Balkman32 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:38 pm

Lol - the Kings are the laughing stock of the NBA. Let's trade three players and future picks to add room to add a 6th man who replaces Sauce and older players that will wash out in 18 months.

You should just be happy they didn't move Cousions.

If they can really back out of that deal, that should do it. Who cares if it pisses off Phila
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#225 » by KF10 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:42 pm

Balkman32 wrote:Lol - the Kings are the laughing stock of the NBA. Let's trade three players and future picks to add room to add a 6th man who replaces Sauce and older players that will wash out in 18 months.

If they can really back out of that deal, that should do it. Who cares if it pisses off Phila

This isn't a "point and laugh at the Kings" thread.

Take your :censored: somewhere else.
[edit - ICMTM] easy tiger...
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#226 » by ICMTM » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:45 pm

Balkman32 wrote:Lol - the Kings are the laughing stock of the NBA. Let's trade three players and future picks to add room to add a 6th man who replaces Sauce and older players that will wash out in 18 months.

Yeah I like my NBA team sans Sauce. He was dry, no flavor, and the consistency wasn't there. But heck he was picked 8th...lets all go crazy.
KANGZZZZZ!
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant
And1: 130

Post#227 » by SacTown Kings » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:48 pm

No reason for Kings to "back out". Obviously we would rather have cap flexibility than 3 piles of garbage taking up space. Not sure why that's so hard for other fans to realize. Yes it sucks we gave up a draft pick, but I guess that's the price you pay to get rid of your garbage. Most people that are "laughing" really have no clue as to what sort of situation the Kings are in and what are options are. Rolling out with the same team plus WCS wasn't going to get us anywhere.
tyguy
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Jarl Thompandry dumped with Sauce and future 1st for cap room 

Post#228 » by tyguy » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:01 pm

Wolfay wrote:
eliasrapp98 wrote:
Wolfay wrote:
That wasn't the trade. We owe you a single conditional pick, and the rights to swap two picks, which probably won't happen even if we swing and miss on everything. Exaggerate on the anarchic wasteland of the GB, but facts rule to day here.

The two swaps are hugely important. By 2017 we will not be a bottom 5 team. If you are, we get that pick. Even next year we could if you jump into the lottery. Idk. I think you are trying sell yourself fake money.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

That's a lot different than saying "u owe us all ur pickz!!01!1", and anyway we're not a bottom 5 team as it is right now, and we likely won't be in the future. It's harder getting a top pick than winning the championship. You're the one trying to convince yourself of something, in our forum no less.
cleveland begs to differ.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#229 » by PZiv » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:30 pm

Well since I am huge doubter of Nik Stauskas' playstyle and the fact that clogged up PF spot was cleaned I'd say this was a good one.
And Philadelphia seems to me as a team thats going to be bad for some time. Just got to get the right FAs
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#230 » by hookshot199 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:59 pm

And then what are the implications? Sorry, I don't mean to troll on your board, but I asked this question on the trade board and a forum moderator named Smitty reported back that it was possible.

But this case is not quite as clean as it may seem. Divac apparently got Hinkie to draft two unknown Euros as part of the trade. So in a sense, the trade was already consummated on draft night even though the league hadn't sanctioned it. A second point (and I'm not a lawyer): Is there any precedent for a team backing out of such an agreement? If there's no precedent, then I would think that both the team and the league would expose themselves to some sort of legal action. And lastly, despite the fact that many owners don't Hinkie, I think they like the current system whereby from July 1 they have 10 or 12 days to meet and receive commitments from free agents.

And put yourself in Philly's position since most people forget why we were forced into tank mode two years ago. Doug Collins traded away our future for damaged goods in Andrew Bynum. Should we have been allowed to back out of that trade after the fact? Should the league have intervened? For those of you who don't like Hinkie, he was created by the Bynum trade and Collins who engineered it and wouldn't play Vucevic. Should Vucevic have been sent back to Philly once it was learned that Bynum's career was virtually over?

I suspect a) that your owner won't back out of the trade and b) that the league may apply some sanctions if you try. I also believe that it was a one-sided trade. I felt that the Boston-Brooklyn trade was one-sided. But then why the hell didn't you play Stauskas? He was an excellent college player, and had it not been for the Kings drafting him, we probably would have done so with the 10th pick. Thus no Saric controversy.

Anyway, if you do back out and the league permits it, what sort of compensation should you give to Phily for drafting two unknown Euros on Vlade's instructions? And does that constitute a form of a contract, verbal though it may be?
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#231 » by Kings2013 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:08 pm

hookshot199 wrote:

And then what are the implications? Sorry, I don't mean to troll on your board, but I asked this question on the trade board and a forum moderator named Smitty reported back that it was possible.

But this case is not quite as clean as it may seem. Divac apparently got Hinkie to draft two unknown Euros as part of the trade. So in a sense, the trade was already consummated on draft night even though the league hadn't sanctioned it. A second point (and I'm not a lawyer): Is there any precedent for a team backing out of such an agreement? If there's no precedent, then I would think that both the team and the league would expose themselves to some sort of legal action. And lastly, despite the fact that many owners don't Hinkie, I think they like the current system whereby from July 1 they have 10 or 12 days to meet and receive commitments from free agents.

And put yourself in Philly's position since most people forget why they were forced into tank mode for two years. Doug Collins traded away our future for damaged goods in Andrew Bynum. Should we have been allowed to back out of that trade after the fact? For those of you who don't like Hinkie, he was created by the Bynum trade and Doug Collins who engineered it and wouldn't play Vucevic. Should he have been sent back to Philly once it was learned that Bynum's career was virtually over?

I suspect a) that your owner won't back out of the trade and b) that the league may apply some sanctions if you try. I also believe that it was a one-sided trade. I felt that the Boston-Brooklyn trade was one-sided. But then why the hell didn't you play Stauskas? He was an excellent college player, and had it not been for the Kings drafting him, we probably would have done so with the 10th pick. Thus no Saric controversy.

Anyway, if you do back out and the league permits it, what sort of compensation should you give to Phily for drafting two unknown Euros on Vlade's instructions? And does that constitute a form of a contract, verbal though it may be?

It's a trollish outsider, not a kings fan
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#232 » by hookshot199 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 11:18 pm

Kings2013 wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:

And put yourself in Philly's position since most people forget why they were forced into tank mode for two years. Doug Collins traded away our future for damaged goods in Andrew Bynum. Should we have been allowed to back out of that trade after the fact? For those of you who don't like Hinkie, he was created by the Bynum trade and Doug Collins who engineered it and wouldn't play Vucevic. Should he have been sent back to Philly once it was learned that Bynum's career was virtually over?

It's a trollish outsider, not a kings fan

I'm sorry, I didn't notice. Would you like me to remove the post since it was not my intention to troll. Let me know and I'll take it down. Otherwise, Happy Fourth.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#233 » by Relentless88 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:36 am

This is one of the worst trades I've ever seen.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#234 » by spikeslovechild » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:52 am

ICMTM wrote:

You should just be happy they didn't move Cousins.

Yeah I like my NBA team sans Sauce. He was dry, no flavor, and the consistency wasn't there. But heck he was picked 8th...lets all go crazy.

He also played for ONE season. Funny how fans have his career all planned out already.

As a knick fan I wish we could do these type of deals. The best thing from the 76ers perspective is it frees from the tank. They can look at Sacramento and feel that they'll likely be a lottery team and work from there.
imraged
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#235 » by imraged » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:55 am

SacTown Kings wrote:

No reason for Kings to "back out". Obviously we would rather have cap flexibility than 3 piles of garbage taking up space. Not sure why that's so hard for other fans to realize. Yes it sucks we gave up a draft pick, but I guess that's the price you pay to get rid of your garbage. Most people that are "laughing" really have no clue as to what sort of situation the Kings are in and what are options are. Rolling out with the same team plus WCS wasn't going to get us anywhere.

Flexibility for what? Had they just waited another year they'd have all the flexibility in the world. As an "outsider" I can't see this as anything other than a short-sighted panic move.

As a fan is a year of Rondo and saving the owner a couple of million dollars (?) really worth potentially giving up draft picks? I can't really see any upside to this outside of the possibility of the Euro prospects being viable players at some point.
gustofwind
Rookie
And1: 649

Post#236 » by gustofwind » Sat Jul 4, 2015 1:23 am

Here is my understanding of this trade:

Vlade is on the clock convincing Cousins to stay. He has basically two years, am I right? So he trades a protected pick that will have no bearing on a future Cousins team to speed up that process. Otherwise the Kings have to rest on their luck on what they can do next year. Anyway, Cousins is so good he'll keep the team from getting a top 5 draft pick while he is here.

If the Kings continue to be a non-playoff after thought and never show progress Cousins may want to leave in two years. If this is the case, you trade Cousins for an awesome draft pick rebuilding package and this trade becomes irrelevant.

If, on the other hand, Cousins is really serious about committing to Kings long-term no matter what, this might be a stupid trade. Though I think the national media pile on that occurred recently was based on exaggerated half-truths, it does seem unlikely Cousins plans to be here his whole career no matter what.

Ultimately, this is not an ideal trade, but the Kings are working from a weak position given the talent on the team. Sometimes you have to try something, I guess. It'll be interesting to see if Vlade's Euro selections ever come to anything.

To people who think the Kings could attract talent with the same team they had next summer: If every team has more money, the Kings will have only the potential of the franchise to sell. If the team doesn't improve it won't be an attractive free agent destination no matter the money. We saw how much money alone mattered when Matthews turned us down.

So one has to look at this trade in the context of Cousins years and potential post-Cousins years. (Potential post-Cousins years: If we continue to lose, he refuses to sign an extension in 2017, and we have to trade him.)
think peaceful thoughts :meditate:
guitarpath
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#237 » by guitarpath » Sat Jul 4, 2015 2:32 am

gustofwind wrote:If the Kings continue to be a non-playoff after thought and never show progress Cousins may want to leave in two years. If this is the case, you trade Cousins for an awesome draft pick rebuilding package and this trade becomes irrelevant.

If Cousins leaves as a free agent or forces a trade, then this trade most certainly still has relevance. The Kings traded a 1st round pick to the 76ers which is top ten-protected in 2018 and 2019 and unprotected in 2020. That is a valuable asset the Kings traded away just to clear cap space for one year on Rondo and a back-up guard. If your clearing cap space for LeBron and your 1st round pick will be 28-30, then by all means trade it. If you are unlikely to be a playoff team in a loaded Western Conference, then that pick is in the lottery which has value in the NBA. Not to mention two years of pick swap which easily could cost you a valuable starting-caliber player AND getting back zero value for the #8 pick in 2014.

There is a lot of wishful thinking and rosy outlook here, which is natural. However, if one soberly looks at this trade with the perspective of the Kings' situation, this is very difficult to defend.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#238 » by City of Trees » Sat Jul 4, 2015 2:34 am

Relentless88 wrote:This is one of the worst trades I've ever seen.

I'm not defending the trade but remember your statement was the same thing said when MEM traded Pau Gasol to LAL. Give it time. Time will tell us if that's true or not.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#239 » by Kings2013 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 2:39 am

guitarpath wrote:
gustofwind wrote:If the Kings continue to be a non-playoff after thought and never show progress Cousins may want to leave in two years. If this is the case, you trade Cousins for an awesome draft pick rebuilding package and this trade becomes irrelevant.

If Cousins leaves as a free agent or forces a trade, then this trade most certainly still has relevance. The Kings traded a 1st round pick to the 76ers which is top ten-protected in 2018 and 2019 and unprotected in 2020. That is a valuable asset the Kings traded away just to clear cap space for one year on Rondo and a back-up guard. If your clearing cap space for LeBron and your 1st round pick will be 28-30, then by all means trade it. If you are unlikely to be a playoff team in a loaded Western Conference, then that pick is in the lottery which has value in the NBA. Not to mention two years of pick swap which easily could cost you a valuable starting-caliber player AND getting back zero value for the #8 pick in 2014.

There is a lot of wishful thinking and rosy outlook here, which is natural. However, if one soberly looks at this trade with the perspective of the Kings' situation, this is very difficult to defend.

A lot of intentional negative thinking by outsiders

We had one of the best starting units in the league until mid season with a garbage bench, we are filling the team out.

Rondo could be a great guard here, so could Belli, but it improves depth immediately at both positions

If the team is as good as we think the two swaps and 10+ pick is moot

The dire attitude may have a more receptive audience on the GB or other forums, there are Kings fans that are trying to keep a good perspective here
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#240 » by Kings2013 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 2:42 am

imraged wrote:
SacTown Kings wrote:

Flexibility for what? Had they just waited another year they'd have all the flexibility in the world. As an "outsider" I can't see this as anything other than a short-sighted panic move.

As a fan is a year of Rondo and saving the owner a couple of million dollars (?) really worth potentially giving up draft picks? I can't really see any upside to this outside of the possibility of the Euro prospects being viable players at some point.

The negativity of outsiders, maybe I have to take a break from this thread

Next year we'd have to compete with the league for FAs with rising cap, understand?

They didn't give up pick(s), the owner isn't saving money (?), the players we get May have more importance than what we gave for our team now

Return to Sacramento Kings