ImageImageImageImageImage

Why Didn't Jimmer Work Out In Sac?

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Why Didn't Jimmer Work Out In Sac? 

Post#1 » by co_laper » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:13 am

Title is the question.. Ever since Jimmer sign with San Antonio, I've been reading articles about him and from what I gather, he actually improved in his second year in Sacramento and was shooting well but his option was still decllined and eventually waived. Why is that? And can you guys give me your take on Jimmer? What was it that made it hard for him to succeed?
SacSanity
Senior
And1: 89

Re: Why Didn't Jimmer Work Out In Sac? 

Post#2 » by SacSanity » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:35 am

co_laper wrote:Title is the question.. Ever since Jimmer sign with San Antonio, I've been reading articles about him and from what I gather, he actually improved in his second year in Sacramento and was shooting well but his option was still decllined and eventually waived. Why is that? And can you guys give me your take on Jimmer? What was it that made it hard for him to succeed?

Here is my take. The reason Jimmer did not work out for us is due to the following reasons:

1. Ball-handling - If we wanted to run him at the PG spot, he just does/did not have the ball-handling to run against starting or bench caliber point guards of the league.

2. Defense - He was/is not able to D up most any PG or SG in the league.

3. Size/Speed - To short to play SG, to slow to play PG.

When he had his confidence up, he showed signs of being a good shooter. When players had to respect his shot he actually did a decent job getting in the paint for a floater or making his way in for a mid/short range jumper. He is just to big of a liability on D and just does not have a true enough position to justify giving him any decent amount of minutes even though he can shoot.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#3 » by teerfour+40LG » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:29 am

He was too easy to guard.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#4 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:31 am

While Jimmer wasn't great, part of why he didn't work out is that the team had coach after coach on the edge of being fired, well, actually closer everyday to the obvious future that lay ahead and Jimmer wasn't in the picture. Neither were some other top 10 rookies IIRC. I do seem to recall Jimmer doing pretty well when he finally got a chance to get some minutes for a 7-8 game stretch at one point but then it was right back to the bench with him. This was a perfect example of coaches toeing the thinnest line knowing the only way to extend their career was to win games. That didn't happen and rather than sacrifice themselves to the alter of individual player improvement the team just sat in basketball purgatory.
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#5 » by Wolfay » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:18 pm

He simply does not have the physical ability, and it's amplified by his poor ball handling.

He had a good game against the Knicks once, but that's more of a testament to how bad the Knicks were, are, and will be.
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#6 » by co_laper » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:33 pm

Is his ballhandling that bad? What made you guys say that? Were there any specific situations that highlights his inability to handle the ball?
SacSanity
Senior
And1: 89

Post#7 » by SacSanity » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:19 pm

co_laper wrote:Is his ballhandling that bad? What made you guys say that? Were there any specific situations that highlights his inability to handle the ball?

When every team decides to full court press you.... your ball handling is bad. He would fall for the trap a lot and just have to give up the ball as soon as he passed half court.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#8 » by ICMTM » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:11 pm

I think what the Spurs need of Jimmer (role player) and what the Kings tried to get from him (starter) are different to start with. Jimmer is not a starting NBA player on any team, so it's useless to compare then vs now. Jimmer could shoot it. That was is the extent of his value, which we needed much more than that. That's his only elite skill.
KANGZZZZZ!
KingFox
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,627

Post#9 » by KingFox » Mon Aug 3, 2015 10:59 am

He just isn't very good. period.

Might as well ask why Quincy douby didn't work out
jerep_path
Junior
And1: 194

Post#10 » by jerep_path » Mon Aug 3, 2015 8:11 pm

He's just not a good player. I didn't understand the love for him by some of our fellow Kings fans. Just because he had a couple of net positive games, people thought he was actually a legit starter. This guy is a 3rd rotational PG at best.
Cball
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#11 » by Cball » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:17 pm

SacTown916 wrote:
co_laper wrote:Title is the question.. Ever since Jimmer sign with San Antonio, I've been reading articles about him and from what I gather, he actually improved in his second year in Sacramento and was shooting well but his option was still decllined and eventually waived. Why is that? And can you guys give me your take on Jimmer? What was it that made it hard for him to succeed?

Here is my take. The reason Jimmer did not work out for us is due to the following reasons:

1. Ball-handling - If we wanted to run him at the PG spot, he just does/did not have the ball-handling to run against starting or bench caliber point guards of the league.

2. Defense - He was/is not able to D up most any PG or SG in the league.

3. Size/Speed - To short to play SG, to slow to play PG.

When he had his confidence up, he showed signs of being a good shooter. When players had to respect his shot he actually did a decent job getting in the paint for a floater or making his way in for a mid/short range jumper. He is just to big of a liability on D and just does not have a true enough position to justify giving him any decent amount of minutes even though he can shoot.

This. Just an average NBA player.

Return to Sacramento Kings