benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Re: Dribble-Drive offense 

Post#21 » by benchmobbin02 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:08 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
Haha, well I guess we'll take your word that we only need one offensive set in the NBA since you've lead so many teams to success. GTFOH!

Of course, we would want our All-Star, All NBA player to have the ball in his hands a lot and make good decisions and find open teammates. But we aren't gonna just run iso every trip down the court and expect DMC to do everything. I doesn't work like that. We will run several different types of offense including the Princeton Motion, Early, Zone, Spread and the Dribble Drive. Even teams like the Spurs and GS that are known for a specific type of offense run other sets with other personal.

Why don't you worry about the Jazz point guard situation and their lack of bench depth.

As someone who has sat in the gym in Grinnell, I might be just a little bit more well versed than you think. And I don't mind honest criticism of any team I follow.

Honestly, this "dribble drive" is nothing new. It's basically a spread offense with 4 out and 1 in. The Suns ran it to death in the 2000's. The only concern I have is whether or not the Kings can spread the floor well enough to make it work as a first option set. George Karl is a coach who's desires lie in movement and passing, so, unless he's changed his spots after 30 some odd years then I would expect that to remain the emphasis.

No one is saying that it will be the first option set and since it is something that they will be teaching to the new players I doubt it will be a the main offense. When lineups of any combo of Rondo Collison Curry Ben Belinlli Casspi Gay Dukan and a big man on the floor we can spread just fine to run the system.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#22 » by pickIBL » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:08 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:
Honestly, this "dribble drive" is nothing new. It's basically a spread offense with 4 out and 1 in. The Suns ran it to death in the 2000's. The only concern I have is whether or not the Kings can spread the floor well enough to make it work as a first option set. George Karl is a coach who's desires lie in movement and passing, so, unless he's changed his spots after 30 some odd years then I would expect that to remain the emphasis.

And you got Cousins... not Kemp, Camby, Kmart, etc. It's a bad fit which is why Karl was trying to get him traded. The dribble drive relies on an elite PG btw. If you have D Rose in college with no dominant post you run it. You've got the dominant post and not the Westbrook, Rose, or Wall type PG that fits the offense. JVG types fit Cousins. Karl's methods historically don't mesh with Cousins. If you want to believe that you can teach a very old dog new tricks, that's fine. I respectfully disagree. To me the whole thing looks like a mess.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#23 » by Jkam31 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:07 am

NA Boogie can and will still dominate in this offense. Like the article said the nuggets ran straight DD only 5% of the time so we will still be posting up Cousins a lot. The offense allows cousins to use is quickness advantage on a Centers with the dribble while also having the ball move. Cousins thrived last year under the offense with better 3pt shooting and a training camp he should be even better. I'm expecting him to be at 25ppg-12rpg-4apg

pickIBL wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

And you got Cousins... not Kemp, Camby, Kmart, etc. It's a bad fit which is why Karl was trying to get him traded. The dribble drive relies on an elite PG btw. If you have D Rose in college with no dominant post you run it. You've got the dominant post and not the Westbrook, Rose, or Wall type PG that fits the offense. JVG types fit Cousins. Karl's methods historically don't mesh with Cousins. If you want to believe that you can teach a very old dog new tricks, that's fine. I respectfully disagree. To me the whole thing looks like a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#24 » by pickIBL » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:52 pm

Jkam31 wrote:NA Boogie can and will still dominate in this offense. Like the article said the nuggets ran straight DD only 5% of the time so we will still be posting up Cousins a lot. The offense allows cousins to use is quickness advantage on a Centers with the dribble while also having the ball move. Cousins thrived last year under the offense with better 3pt shooting and a training camp he should be even better. I'm expecting him to be at 25ppg-12rpg-4apg

pickIBL wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

Considering his FG percentage and turnover rate, thrive is honestly not the best word. Because then what do we use for guys that actually did thrive in the post on other teams that won games? The creator of the dribble drive will even tell you it is not designed for a offense centered around the center in the low post as the top option.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#25 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:51 pm

pickIBL wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

No question, Karl has never had a Cousins on his team, but I'm not sure what the real story is. I don't think it's that simple because if it is it means Karl is a mental case. If you look at Cousins stats and productivity under Karl there was only improvement, specifically in regards to passing. His passing post all star was a solid near 1:1 assist to TO ratio while averaging 4+ assists a game. 1:1 is pretty good for a franchise big whose turnovers mostly come from offensive fouls or traveling, not errant passes. Hakeem, Ewing, and many more HOF bigs looked pretty similar in that way.

Last year they ran a lot of the drive plays for Cousins himself. I would hope that's part of the plan going forward as well. It helped lead to some very big passing games from him late in the year including back to back triple doubles.

With Karl it could go different directions so who knows, but while I had major concerns about him coming in for the exact reasons we saw in relation to the problems they've had this summer, if you look at his record, he's typically been a "star" coach so I'm not too worried about his usage of Cousins. His history says he's going to ride or die with his best guys so we'll have to see if he continues along the same path. I just don't want to see 12 man rotations or some Kentucky style platoon crap. That's one of my primary fears with any new coach and when you compare things you're doing to a school like Kentucky. :lol:
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#26 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:57 pm

pickIBL wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:NA Boogie can and will still dominate in this offense. Like the article said the nuggets ran straight DD only 5% of the time so we will still be posting up Cousins a lot. The offense allows cousins to use is quickness advantage on a Centers with the dribble while also having the ball move. Cousins thrived last year under the offense with better 3pt shooting and a training camp he should be even better. I'm expecting him to be at 25ppg-12rpg-4apg

pickIBL wrote:

Considering his FG percentage and turnover rate, thrive is honestly not the best word. Because then what do we use for guys that actually did thrive in the post on other teams that won games? The creator of the dribble drive will even tell you it is not designed for a offense centered around the center in the low post as the top option.

Once again, as others have said, we don't expect them to run nothing but dribble drive sets. I think Karl is just looking for movement period. It's why they instituted pick and roll when this team is obviously not a great pick and roll team, although with Cauley-Stein and Koufos they should be better there this year but still.

The main issue I see right now is I'm not sure Vlade went out and built the team Karl really wanted. Karl said he wanted to small and play up tempo, Vlade in response signed/drafted 14 feet of big men as his main off season acquisitions. That said, Cauley-Stein could be the one big that makes it all work on both ends with his unique physical gifts. If all the hype is legit he could be the guy who allows you to play that way while not playing small in the classic sense. Best of both worlds.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#27 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:49 pm

If he does start to really affect games and being an impact player that allows us to play with size and eliminate those team's advantage in matchups I expect the dirty players to start taking shots at him due to his thin frame.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Illuminati_
Starter
And1: 346

Post#28 » by Illuminati_ » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:34 pm

what offense are the kings going to run this season or have installed so far in the preaseason?
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#29 » by benchmobbin02 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:41 pm

Illuminati_ wrote:what offense are the kings going to run this season or have installed so far in the preaseason?

Aspects of the Dribble drive offense have been used, we have run motion offense at times and we used the pick and roll, read and react and zone attacking sets as well. More specialized sets for our main stars are still being installed.

Why do you ask?
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Illuminati_
Starter

Post#30 » by Illuminati_ » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:41 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
Illuminati_ wrote:what offense are the kings going to run this season or have installed so far in the preaseason?

Aspects of the Dribble drive offense have been used, we have run motion offense at times and we used the pick and roll, read and react and zone attacking sets as well. More specialized sets for our main stars are still being installed.

Why do you ask?
Illuminati_
Starter

Post#31 » by Illuminati_ » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:42 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:

Why do you ask?

Im using them in a league and want to run an off similar to what they really run?

Did they run a 4 out motion game 1? How often will ge start kofous?
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#32 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:39 pm

Illuminati_ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

Why do you ask?

Im using them in a league and want to run an off similar to what they really run?

Sounds like you should be watching the games to see for yourself if they are that interesting to you. Just a thought.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Illuminati_
Starter

Post#33 » by Illuminati_ » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:54 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
Illuminati_ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

Why do you ask?

Sounds like you should be watching the games to see for yourself if they are that interesting to you. Just a thought.

It's better you speak to people with respect despite this being online. Just a thought.

I live on the east coast I'll catch games when I can
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#34 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:40 am

Illuminati_ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

Why do you ask?

They ran pick and roll, draw and kick (from all positions), and some motion. I don't think players are comfortable enough to know when to cut or not as of yet. The first game was a tale of two styles. The starting unit couldn't spread well and the smaller unit just nailed a lot of 3's with Cousins taking over inside. They ran a lot of spread offense with Cousins much of the time sticking out beyond the 3 point area. They also will post up the alternate big when they can. Yeah, pretty much a 4 out set with a lot of drives involved but they weren't having all the players stretch too far out with much of the wing spacing coming from inside the 3 point line at times.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#35 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:38 am

Illuminati_ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
Illuminati_ wrote:

It's better you speak to people with respect despite this being online. Just a thought.

I live on the east coast I'll catch games when I can

It wasn't meant in disrespect, tho reading it back now I can see how it could be taken that way. I tend to come off defensive at times when that isn't the intention. I just meant that you could be watching the games yourself to get the info you seek. Many ways to tune in from where ever you live if you are interested. I don't live in the Sacramento area any longer (tho I visit frequently) and I never miss a game unless I'm working late.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!

Return to Sacramento Kings