ImageImageImageImageImage

Would the Kings trade Cousins for the #1 pick?

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,376

Would the Kings trade Cousins for the #1 pick? 

Post#1 » by robbie84 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:01 pm

What do you think?
Would Vlade move him for the 2016 first pick in the draft?
The rumors about trading him for the Lakers pick never picked up much steam, and it's hard to tell how much of the drama reporting out of Sacto is fact or fiction.

If the Kings don't get 30 wins is Cuz gone?
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Would the Kings trade Cousins for the #1 pick? 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:14 pm

Not a Kings fan, but that's really not good value.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,376

Post#3 » by robbie84 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:54 pm

bondom34 wrote:Not a Kings fan, but that's really not good value.

I think it's pretty good value if you want to move on from him. 2 years left on his deal. If you think Simmons is a franchise/HOF talent then I don't see it being too out of reality. You'd have to send salary and perhaps some other picks/prospects but the basis for each side would be the pick and the player.

What would you describe as good value if the number one pick isnt? lol
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by bondom34 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:08 pm

robbie84 wrote:

I think it's pretty good value if you want to move on from him. 2 years left on his deal. If you think Simmons is a franchise/HOF talent then I don't see it being too out of reality. You'd have to send salary and perhaps some other picks/prospects but the basis for each side would be the pick and the player.

Well, Kevin Love got 2 first overall picks plus another first (which was flipped for Thad Young). He was an expiring contract. So that's a baseline for less than Cousins value. Add to that.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#5 » by blind prophet » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:42 pm

Not for just the #1. But if a team was bad enough to get the #1 they probably are rebuilding and not completely ready to take Cousins either.

IMO the Kings need to consider moving him with 2 years left as that will be peak value.

I don't think it takes much to keep him happy enough to stay in town. He just needs to believe in the system the coach has in place basically and believe the franchise will put in what it needs to, to succeed.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,450

Post#6 » by gom » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:20 pm

I'm a Heat fan, but my family in California are all Kings fans, so I care about the team's success. Cousins is worth at least 2 first round picks. Also, the franchise has to change their mentality about giving up so early on young talent. If you look at a list of players who passed through the Kings in recent years, a lot of them either were successful on other teams (Whiteside, Thomas, Evans) or have a good chance of finding a niche on another team (Stauskas).

Isiaah Thomas (60th) Excellent Celtic after being great on the Suns.
Bismack Biyombo (7th) Fine player for Charlotte and looks solid on Raptors
Hassan Whiteside (33rd) Starting for the Heat
Tyreke Evans (4th) Solid Pelican player
Ray McCallum (36th) Spurs will find a way to make him special.
Nik Stauskas (8th) Wanna bet that he finds his shot now?
Thomas Robinson (5th) Always liked him (bummed the Heat couldn't get him last year when the sixers picked him up)

I always thought Quincy Miller and Wayne Ellington deserved a shot on the team too. The Kings seem to suffer with a "grass is greener" syndrome, admiring players of other teams that are about the same quality.

Rebuilding takes patience. If the Kings decide to deal Cousins for picks they need to change their philosophy about how to capitalize on them too.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,450

Post#7 » by gom » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:21 pm

blind prophet wrote:Not for just the #1. But if a team was bad enough to get the #1 they probably are rebuilding and not completely ready to take Cousins either.

IMO the Kings need to consider moving him with 2 years left as that will be peak value.

I don't think it takes much to keep him happy enough to stay in town. He just needs to believe in the system the coach has in place basically and believe the franchise will put in what it needs to, to succeed.

Boston may well get the #1 pick this year without tanking. Ainge is doing an awesome job. Hard as it is for me to admit it, but Boston is playing the meta game better than everyone.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#8 » by blind prophet » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:38 pm

gom wrote:
blind prophet wrote:Not for just the #1. But if a team was bad enough to get the #1 they probably are rebuilding and not completely ready to take Cousins either.

Boston may well get the #1 pick this year without tanking. Ainge is doing an awesome job. Hard as it is for me to admit it, but Boston is playing the meta game better than everyone.

The peak value should be there this off season.

But like I said it won't take much to keep him in town either IMO. It may seem like it will never happen here, but honestly if he believes in the system and program, and we look to be progressing is all I think we need to do.

Let's assume this is a "neutral" season, decent but nothing significant.

The Kings will have to make a decision on if they can get this to work or not.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#9 » by City of Trees » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:44 pm

If you're trading Cousins the #1 pick is a good foundation for a trade depending on the prospects. But the #1 alone won't net you big cuz

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,509

Post#10 » by codydaze » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:42 pm

gom wrote:I'm a Heat fan, but my family in California are all Kings fans, so I care about the team's success. Cousins is worth at least 2 first round picks. Also, the franchise has to change their mentality about giving up so early on young talent. If you look at a list of players who passed through the Kings in recent years, a lot of them either were successful on other teams (Whiteside, Thomas, Evans) or have a good chance of finding a niche on another team (Stauskas).

Isiaah Thomas (60th) Excellent Celtic after being great on the Suns.
Bismack Biyombo (7th) Fine player for Charlotte and looks solid on Raptors
Hassan Whiteside (33rd) Starting for the Heat
Tyreke Evans (4th) Solid Pelican player
Ray McCallum (36th) Spurs will find a way to make him special.
Nik Stauskas (8th) Wanna bet that he finds his shot now?
Thomas Robinson (5th) Always liked him (bummed the Heat couldn't get him last year when the sixers picked him up)

I always thought Quincy Miller and Wayne Ellington deserved a shot on the team too. The Kings seem to suffer with a "grass is greener" syndrome, admiring players of other teams that are about the same quality.

Rebuilding takes patience. If the Kings decide to deal Cousins for picks they need to change their philosophy about how to capitalize on them too.

I will never forgive whoever's decision it was to get rid of IT. He is EXACTLY what this team needs right now. Whiteside is sort of an anomaly with the way his career went but I would much rather have Stauskas than BMac right now. Stauskas would have fit with this team a lot better than Mclemore even though his defense last year was unbelievably bad.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#11 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:03 pm

bondom34 wrote:
robbie84 wrote:

Well, Kevin Love got 2 first overall picks plus another first (which was flipped for Thad Young). He was an expiring contract. So that's a baseline for less than Cousins value. Add to that.

It's just faulty analysis to say Kevin Love was worth 2 first overall picks. Anthony Bennett was not a valuable asset.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by bondom34 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:10 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
robbie84 wrote:

It's just faulty analysis to say Kevin Love was worth 2 first overall picks. Anthony Bennett was not a valuable asset.

3. He got Bennett, Wiggins, and would have gotten another flipped for Thad Young. And he was expiring. At that point, Bennett looked bad but had some value.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#13 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:17 pm

bondom34 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Well, Kevin Love got 2 first overall picks plus another first (which was flipped for Thad Young). He was an expiring contract. So that's a baseline for less than Cousins value. Add to that.

3. He got Bennett, Wiggins, and would have gotten another flipped for Thad Young. And he was expiring. At that point, Bennett looked bad but had some value.

First overall pick =/= First rounder. Cousins/Love are certainly worth 3 first rounders.

But saying Love warranted two #1 overall picks is just misleading if we're trying to make a judge of trade value.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by bondom34 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:20 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:It's just faulty analysis to say Kevin Love was worth 2 first overall picks. Anthony Bennett was not a valuable asset.

First overall pick =/= First rounder. Cousins/Love are certainly worth 3 first rounders.

But saying Love warranted two #1 overall picks is just misleading if we're trying to make a judge of trade value.

I didn't say he warranted them, I said he got them. He did, and to boot his value was lower than Cousins.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#15 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:21 pm

bondom34 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
bondom34 wrote:3. He got Bennett, Wiggins, and would have gotten another flipped for Thad Young. And he was expiring. At that point, Bennett looked bad but had some value.

I didn't say he warranted them, I said he got them. He did, and to boot his value was lower than Cousins.

Ok. Well then Cousins is worth 2 first overall picks. Provided that one of the first overall picks sucks ass and the whole league knows it.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by bondom34 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:25 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:First overall pick =/= First rounder. Cousins/Love are certainly worth 3 first rounders.

Ok. Well then Cousins is worth 2 first overall picks. Provided that one of the first overall picks sucks ass and the whole league knows it.

At minimum 3, Love would have gotten Miami's first (but they took Young). And again, Love's value wasn't as high as Cousins.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#17 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:44 pm

bondom34 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I didn't say he warranted them, I said he got them. He did, and to boot his value was lower than Cousins.

At minimum 3, Love would have gotten Miami's first (but they took Young). And again, Love's value wasn't as high as Cousins.

You seem to randomly skip over the word "overall" a lot.

Also, I don't think Cousins value was necessarily higher than Love.

Cousins has yet to have a season near as offensively prolific as Love did his last year in Minnesota. Granted, Cousins is better on D but the gap in Overall Win Shares is actually rather large.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by bondom34 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:53 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Ok. Well then Cousins is worth 2 first overall picks. Provided that one of the first overall picks sucks ass and the whole league knows it.

Cousins has yet to have a season near as offensively prolific as Love did his last year in Minnesota. Granted, Cousins is better on D but the gap in Overall Win Shares is actually rather large.

Win shares are calculated based off team ratings, so that accounts for that. Cousins has multiple extra years on his contract at a time when the cap is ready to explode. And I'm not skipping over anything, you're diminishing what Love got by trying to reword the past.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#19 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:58 pm

bondom34 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
bondom34 wrote:At minimum 3, Love would have gotten Miami's first (but they took Young). And again, Love's value wasn't as high as Cousins.

Win shares are calculated based off team ratings, so that accounts for that. Cousins has multiple extra years on his contract at a time when the cap is ready to explode. And I'm not skipping over anything, you're diminishing what Love got by trying to reword the past.

Yeah being on the Twolves is really a great way to inflate your win shares.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by bondom34 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:00 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:You seem to randomly skip over the word "overall" a lot.

Yeah being on the Twolves is really a great way to inflate your win shares.

Sadly better than being on the Kings.

Return to Sacramento Kings