Thoughts on Demarcus 3pt shot?

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,202

Post#1 » by FrodoBaggins » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:55 am

Let's hear all your thoughts on this

I think, 2-3 three pointers a game, wide open is only going to make this team better

That trail 3pt shot in rhythm are the ones he should be taking... Wide open, smooth

A few times a game, it absolutely brings extra defensive attention to him 23ft out

Also remember the analytic side of the shot... Only needs to hit it at 35% to be the same as a 50% 2pt shot... 3pt % goes way up when the defender is further from the shooter (Obviously)... 3pt shots get rebounded at a higher rate (Although Cuz is the best rebounder, we still have a 7 footer usually under the rim... And it will lessen our turnovers which not only has been a problem for DMC, but for the team here and there

Thoughts? I think a couple or three trail wide open in rhythm 3's is good for this squad... Keep the midrange for later in the clock? Thoughts?
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Re: Thoughts on Demarcus 3pt shot? 

Post#2 » by KF10 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:22 am

As long as he makes them, I have no problems with those shots.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#3 » by City of Trees » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:44 am

To this point Im comfortable with his decision making on when to take the shot. Like really pleased with it.

I've noticed when he starts hitting his 3's he gets hot from all over the floor. Huge confidence booster for him and the team.

I like the trailing 3 because he's usually the last down the floor anyways. If we are in half court I don't want Cuz just sitting behind the 3 point Iine acting as a spot up shooter, get your ass down low and post up!

Prediction time- Cousins game high is four 3's made in a game. Has done it twice already. Does he have a new game high by seasons end?
Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#4 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:01 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:We agree, that is what I was saying. He is expanding his game to be more than a low post or high post guy. Now teams have to worry about his midrange and 3pt jumper and his passing from those positions to help his teammates get easy looks. Why would he pass if the team is gonna sag off and let him shoot open 3's if he proves that he can hit them(shooting 42%). Pretty good for a guy that's 6'11, 265 or anyone not named STEPH Curry, for that matter.

As teams start to come out and try to contest the shots, he can either pass... or take the closing defender off the dribble and make a play in the paint(shot or pass). That will lead to more chances to get to the line, more chances to finish at the rim with creativity like he can, more chances to dump off to open bigs in the lane and more chances to hit open shooters when their defenders collapse on the drive. It will also provide more opportunities for turnovers. It will be a process and it may not be smooth but that is how new skills are gained.

Posted this in another thread...exactly what is happening and I love it.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#5 » by teerfour+40LG » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:19 am

I saw Cousins do this hand sign after a made three.

Then later I saw this and found out where he got it from. :lol:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c2ZKiMRGp8[/youtube]
King Baller
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#6 » by King Baller » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:22 pm

Shoot the trey Boogie! How are going to argue against them when they go in? Rondo is fantastic on the pass to the trailing DeMarcus. I can't wait until the defenses send their Big to check him at the 3 point line:) The Kings will eat that defense alive!
"I don't want to hear what he can't do. Tell me what the player can do to help us." Bill Walsh
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#7 » by Wolfay » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:59 pm

Gotta open up the paint somehow. I don't care who's doing it, as long as they're hitting it at a decent clip. It's basketball 101.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: Thoughts on Demarcus 3pt shot? 

Post#8 » by City of Trees » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:42 am

King Baller wrote: I can't wait until the defenses send their Big to check him at the 3 point line:) The Kings will eat that defense alive!

This actually happened in the 4th against Brooklyn. Cousins is the last one up the court and Lopez is waiting for him at the 3 point line. Amazing!

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
nolimit0820
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#9 » by nolimit0820 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:58 am

Opens up space for Rondo to be a scoring threat in the lane. Rudy has more space to operate out of the mid post, where I believe he is most effective.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,202

Post#10 » by FrodoBaggins » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:16 am

Ray Cousins strikes again

I'm 100% down with this

Have to be good quality looks though... Which he has been doing
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#11 » by bleeds_purple » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:31 pm

It's kind of funny to think that Cousins has essentially morphed his game into the Draymond Green style. Spotting up at the top of the key and letting the defense dictate what he does (shoot, drive, or pass) with some post ups and pick and rolls interspersed.

So is he a PF now? Or just a "big"? Its almost impossible to define.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#12 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:40 pm

Yup, he has always said that he wants his game to be more in the "scoring forward" realm. He has just grow into a 6'11 265 strong man. A lot of fans wants him to be a "post up center" because of his size and skill around the basket. I want him to be that and everything else he has added to his game. In other words, what he wants to be. We can't get hung up positions with the modern game. So many guys transcending the cookie cutter molds of the past. Lebron, Westbrook, KD, Blake, Curry, Harden, AD and more all are great at things their typical positions descriptions would say they should be leaving to other guys on the court.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#13 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:00 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:Yup, he has always said that he wants his game to be more in the "scoring forward" realm. He has just grow into a 6'11 265 strong man. A lot of fans wants him to be a "post up center" because of his size and skill around the basket. I want him to be that and everything else he has added to his game. In other words, what he wants to be. We can't get hung up positions with the modern game. So many guys transcending the cookie cutter molds of the past. Lebron, Westbrook, KD, Blake, Curry, Harden, AD and more all are great at things their typical positions descriptions would say they should be leaving to other guys on the court.

I'm fine with him adding this to his game but I think the next step is better recognition of the situation. For example, against Orlando there was a certain point when Gordon was slotted as his defender and yet Cousins continued with the shoot and drive top of the key game. That's just not smart basketball. Gordon has the foot speed to stay with Cousin's drives but would absolutely get wrecked in the low-post.

In other words, he needs to let the defender, and the way that defender is guarding him, dictate his style of play. Gasol/Bogut/Duncan is on you and playing off like they always? Obviously go to the three point line and abuse the situation. Some midget is switched onto him? Get in the post and either finish an easy bucket or draw the double team and pass out of it.

If he can get to that level then he will be truly unstoppable.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#14 » by benchmobbin02 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:52 pm

That is definitely a good think to develop but he is already doing that. He took three shots vs Gordon. Two were deep in the paint where he didn't even dribble before he put up the shot. The other was a set play where he got the ball around the top of the key with the shot clock running down. He started to dribble toward the paint and Gordon backed up so DMC took a 15 ft jumper.

It's pretty common sense that he bullies the guys he can in the paint and shots over the guys that give him room and drives by guys that are slower then him. The variables are whether there is help defense there and where it is coming from, where he is delivered the ball, the shot clock and of course if a set play is called. He will continue to get better judging what is thrown at him but I think we are seeing progress in his offense on a steady pace as noted by the passing game is getting better and better along with all the things mentioned above. When he is making his teammates better is when he will shine as he did for Koufos last game and Ben the game before. It's a process.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!

Return to Sacramento Kings