ImageImageImageImageImage

Welcome Georgios Papagiannis!

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Re: Re: Re: Welcome Georgios Papagiannis! 

Post#121 » by blind prophet » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:46 pm

City of Trees wrote:
c3j3h wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Based on facts I'd have to say Vlade pulled together the Kings largest Free agent class in recent memory last offseason. That's gotta count for something! Overall I'm not very optimistic Vlade can bring in top tier talent in FA this year but he could bring in maybe one 2nd tier guy like Bazemore while the big teams compete over Durant and Conley?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

And what became of that free agent class?

Bellinelli was brought in to fill in the void left by trading Stauskas away (who was the #8 overall pick in 2014). He proceeded to have by far the worst season of his career ( was statistically worse than even Stauskas). He just got traded for the #22 in 2016, Malachi Richardson, who is not as promising of a prospect as Stauskas was.

James Anderson declined his player option and instead opted to go play in Turkey.

Rajón Rondo put up his expected empty stats all year, and is now an Unrestricted Free Agent. He has received interest from a few teams, and many Kings fans do not wish to see him return. if he does leave, we will receive nothing at all from the year he spent here.

Koufos has a solid year coming off the bench, and is apparently now on the trade block after the Kings just drafted his supposed replacement.

So only 1 of those 4 guys are still on the roster. 2 are definitely not coming back. We turned one of them into Malachi Richardson. And most fans will be happy if we lose Rondo for nothing. And the team won 33 games

And he accomplished all of these Free Agents, by the way, by orchestrating one of the worst trades in franchise history (which is REALLY saying something). He did this allegedly because he wanted to make big offers to Danny Green and/or Wes Matthews, both of which turned down Vlade's offers and signed elsewhere for less money.

So no, in my opinion, that last summer of free agents doesn't count for much. Certainly not anything positive.

Again, I hope that Vlade knocks it out of the park this summer. He just hasn't exactly set a great precedent so far.

The impact made by the FA class is a different topic. I thought we were talking about Sacramento's ability to attract Free agents?

Rondo, Belinelli, Koufus, Curry, and Acy.

As for the trade you can't label it as the worst until after 2019 and we can take a look back because as of today the Kings havent given up anything. Id label the JJ Hickson trade much worse at this point as it's limited the teams options for years.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

The worst trade we've made that I can recall was Derek Smith for Woodson and what turned out to be the 6th pick + a future pick of some kind.
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 618

Re: Welcome Georgios Papagiannis! 

Post#122 » by sackings916 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:12 pm

c3j3h wrote:I was simply pointing out the quality of the free agents brought in, and what little positive effect they had on the team as a whole.

The Kings gambled to make a playoff push last year. Did it pay off? No it didn't but it wasn't a bad gamble. They were the 8th seed at about the halfway mark. Hindsight is 20/20.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#123 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:56 am

miwaukee wrote:
Greek wrote:
enderwilson wrote:
Given that he's 18, (and what? one year playing competitively in Europe?) there hasn't been much of a career yet to make a clear assessment of his skill set or his capabilities, much less speculate on what's going to ruin his career. At the moment, we can only judge on what he has shown, and to this extent it's pretty impressive. From the in-game vids to the vines, he shows remarkable ability and agility for a 7' 2" rookie prospect.

One of my favorite summer events is the youth competitions, i rather watch youth games than NT games. If he didnt show a 3pt range on those competitions its hard to imagine him to be a stretch 5 soon. What i saw is that can hit with a good consistency the 15-20 feet. If he can expand his range up to 3pt? ofcourse he can, but is not there yet.

Now as far as about KK, when he was at his age it was mostly a finesse player with range up to 3pt and amazing hook shot. Then he bulked up and became the slow molossus player that he is now. Actually back then his offense was his calling card, not his D.

the utah jazz completely **** him when i see how good he was. esp u18 carrying all of his team solo, rebounding, 3pointers, middlerange, he had everything

Koufos is the definition text book case of why NBA "bulking up" can absolutely destroy your career permanently. He was better at age 18 than he is now.

After the Jazz idiotically made him "bulk up" he became a bad defender, slow, and he could not do anything on offense other than dunk or shoot layups.

The Jazz literally destroyed his talent and his career. I have no idea why some NBA teams are so incredibly stupid with bulking up some players until they can't move anymore.
onfish2000 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
onfish2000 wrote:Koufos and cousins was mainly a bad fit because Koufos struggled to make layups. if papagiannis can play, playing cousin at the 4 and papagiannis at the 5 might makes the plan

Plus Koufos couldn't defend PF's that played in pick and roll. Any decent outside big ate his lunch.

Koufo's is a plus defender, no doubt. its his offense that's the problem. if koufos cant play defense he would have no value around the league. I can guarantee you, that many teams will have interest trading for Koufos this offseason strictly as a defensive center.

Every time Koufos has played in Greece's national team, he has been bad on defense. He can't play defense in FIBA, except for 5-6 feet from the rim and in. Even then, he gets absolutely murdered by guys like Gasol in the post.

Ioannis Bourousis, Greece's other main center, always plays better defense than Koufos does, and Bourousis is generally considered a bad defensive center in the Euroleague.
Nightfall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,278

Post#124 » by Nightfall » Fri Jul 1, 2016 3:55 pm

Just dropping by (a little late maybe) to congratulate you on drafting George. Maybe only time will tell if it was a good pick or not. To be honest out of all the possible teams to draft him on the 1st round, Kings where the last I could think of, due to the existing players at this range. I wish the Bucks had signed him :D . I don't know what the plans are. If you invest on him , I am sure he will reward you.

If he had played at one of the 17 Colleges that made him an offer (including Oregon, St. John's, Kentucky), he would have been a lottery pick. By choosing to stay in one of Europe's biggest club (my home team Panathinaikos), he might have stayed a bit off NBA radars (as seen on the mock drafts until very late) but he got to play, at a very young age, in very important tournaments, and if it wasn't for "the thing that posed as a coach" we had on the beginning of this year , he would have played and developed even more :D

Some things about him (some you must have already heard) : His biggest strengths are his size (obviously), the speed he has for he size when offending mostly, very good basketball IQ, good rim protector, can pass and has a decent jump shot and also can shoot 3pts.
His weaknesses: Stamina (especially for NBA), despite his size his upper body need to strengthen, he was problems with strong Cs even if he is 1-2'' taller. F.ex someone like DeAndre Jordan would destroy him under the Rim. He also needs to be a bit quicker especially in defense. The good thing is that he can improve most of them :) .

If I was a Kings coach I would lock him up in a gym and throw away the keys :D . Letting him play another year in Europe or in D-League would not help him at all. He already has more games than most 19 years old that start in the NBA. Work his stamina, strengthen his body, allow him to play enough minutes on the first year to keep him motivated and he is a really hard working guy. In a year he can be a beast.

I had an eye on the Kings for Koufos , now I have a much bigger reason to continue doing so. Good luck next year.

PS: Sorry for any mistakes i might have made. English is my third language.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,350

Post#125 » by Nuntius » Sun Jul 3, 2016 1:50 am

Pacer fan here, coming in peace. Papagiannis started his professional career back when he was still 14 in my hometown team, Peristeri BC. I didn't know that he had intended to declare for the NBA draft this season and I was shocked when you picked him in the lottery. I'm not sure if he fits alongside Boogie but I wish him and your team all the best :D
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Nightfall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,278

Post#126 » by Nightfall » Sat Sep 3, 2016 2:33 pm

GA34
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#127 » by GA34 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:43 pm

What's news on PapaG?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#128 » by City of Trees » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:34 pm

Currently playing for Reno Bighorns in the D-League. I wouldn't anticipate anything regarding Papa this season. He's just focused on developing.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,300

Post#129 » by 3Diamantidis » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:49 pm

Papagiannis played for panathinaikos in greece for 2 years.
He was rarely used.
I was extremely surprised when the kings drafted him so high.
It was all over the news at sport sites here
"a guy 13-14th on rotation in panathinaikos, gets the highest pick ever for a greek player".
I don't know why the kings did it with all these guys at C position.
I guess that his DLeague assignment was to be expected.
How's he doing?
Koufos is getting old just like greece's other C(bouroussis).
It will be good if he is capable of being the team starting C in 2yrs.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,533

Post#130 » by codydaze » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:36 pm

3Diamantidis wrote:Papagiannis played for panathinaikos in greece for 2 years.
He was rarely used.
I was extremely surprised when the kings drafted him so high.
It was all over the news at sport sites here
"a guy 13-14th on rotation in panathinaikos, gets the highest pick ever for a greek player".
I don't know why the kings did it with all these guys at C position.
I guess that his DLeague assignment was to be expected.
How's he doing?
Koufos is getting old just like greece's other C(bouroussis).
It will be good if he is capable of being the team starting C in 2yrs.

I think by the time Papgiannis is ready, Koufos will be gone and he'll be able to step into that 3rd big role or even start at C with Cuz at PF how it is now with Koufos. We have Skal developing too and WCS so we have some time to figure out what the right combination of bigs is. Our front court is loaded and we're hoping one of them turns into the great fit next to Cousins we've been looking for. When we find that out then we'll at least have valuable trade assets in the others.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#131 » by City of Trees » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:51 pm

12/21/2016
https://youtu.be/KUYrvBytbxg

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app

Return to Sacramento Kings