c3j3h
Senior
And1: 135

Re: Welcome Georgios Papagiannis! 

Post#101 » by c3j3h » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:42 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
c3j3h wrote:
Kings2013 wrote:

A couple of things I would personally have differences with here. First, I don't think your getting max value for him. I think his rep is in the toilet now for being a "malcontent" and teams would be trying to get him for .70 on the dollar. It's a league that's built on talent but GMs still have to consider their jobs, and it would be highly questionable on their parts of DMC didn't work out. Due to the tire fire of last season, the team quitting on Karl, and the histrionics it was a bad look for DMC to the point where 50% of his own fanbase now wants him out, that is his market.

Second, as RipPizza mentioned, the ill fit of KArl cannot be understated. DMC didn't like him nor did a lot of the team and the team quit playing for him. Now you replaced him with a coach who fits the player and did well with little in Memphis. Vlade is going to have another year to get fits around him, and DMC has repeatedly said he wants to retire in Sac. He has lost a lot of weight already and looks fierce and ready to go

You give it the first half of next year to see if it goes well IMO and see if he can get a better public image going.

If I may retort: I disagree with your contention that his reputation is in the toilet. Quite the contrary! I think his reputation is possibly better than it has ever been.

1. The whole world knows about the Karl situation at this point. They know about him overstepping his bounds and trying to trade Boogie behind the backs of the organization. They know that he basically quit on trying to coach the team before the season ever really started. I think most NBA fans see Karl for the snake he is.

2. The dysfunction of the franchise as a whole is well known. Vivek and Vlade are much more widely ostracized for their missteps and shortcomings. It's basically a meme at this point. I don't think anybody in their right mind blames all of this, or even most of it, on Cousins at this point. He is clearly not the only problem.

3. Despite team and organizational dysfunction, Boogie's performance has been better than ever. He's coming off a season where he averaged 27 points and 11.5 rebounds per game. He made the All Star game for the 2nd year in a row. He's one of the headliners of this summer's Olympic team, after winning a gold medal in the FIBA games already. He was named 2nd team All-NBA despite being on a team that hasn't won more than 33 games in his 6 year career, and he was ROBBED of what should've easily been a 1st team spot. He's inarguably the best Center on Earth.

On top of all of that, he has 2 years left on a great contract by the new salary cap standards. His $17 million owed this season makes up a measly 18% of the salary cap, for a guy that should arguably be the best player on a playoff contender. He's an absolute monster in the paint, is an effective defender. Most of his attitude problems on the court can be attributed to frustration from losing. Oh, and he's only going to be 26 years old this upcoming season.

If they wait until next year, do you really think his trade value will go up?!? How?!? Why?!? The only way they trade him at that point is if they are absolutely sure they won't be able to re-sign him, which means that they tried and failed yet again to make the playoffs. Do you think a 7th year missing the playoffs, with his 7th different NBA coach, is somehow going to make him look better? Do you think having one fewer year left on his contract will make him more appealing as trade bait than he is now? I certainly don't.

If you think the Kings can only get 70 cents on the dollar for him now (which i completely disagree with by the way) then wait until you see the offers that roll in (or more than likely don't roll in) when his contract becomes an expiring contract after yet another losing season on a team that is constructed specifically to benefit him...

IMO much of your argument is why we should keep him. Best center in the league. Arguably a top 10 talent. He's the guy you spend 5 years looking for in the draft. He's never been put in a good situation. This year going in with the moves we have already made at the coaching spot will easily be the best opportunity he has had. Don't forget at one point last year we were 45 games in at .500 ball trending upwards, the rest is history.

I see absolutely no reason to trade Cousins until we see what kind of difference Joerger makes. By all accounts Joerger isn't a rebuilding coach, he isn't a fast pace coach, he was brought in specifically to work with Cousins and I'd like to see that though.

Well this brings us right back to the beginning once again. I have said from day one, I would love to keep Cousins. He is one of my favorite players ever. I just don't see how they realistically pull it off.

At the end of the day, the guy is going to have to make a choice where he wants to spend the rest of his prime. His contract with the Kings expires at the end of his Age 27 season, so a 4 year contract would keep him here until the end of his Age 31 season. Those 4 years are the prime years.

Is he going to choose to stay in Sacramento for his prime if the Kings can't manage to build a legitimate playoff team around him by then? I seriously doubt it. I see no reason why he would. It would be stupid of him to do that.

Can the Kings afford to let his contract expire without signing him to an extension or trading him? Absolutely not! That is the worst case scenario, especially for a small market like Sacramento. Obviously, this decision will have to be made next summer at the very latest. Either he re-ups or he doesn't and you trade him.

The problem is, waiting another summer not only hurts his trade value, but it also hurts the Kings' subsequent reboot. That's one more potential lottery pick thrown away. One more summer spent frantically signing free agents and making trades to fill a roster around a guy that won't be here in a year. One more summer wasted on what could be a head start to the rebuild.

So rather than waiting until summer 2017 to make these decisions, they have to make these decisions now. If they can build a real team this summer, that's **** great! Bring in Conley and a good young 2-way SG and I"m all on board. I'm **** stoked. I just don't see that happening. The Kings have NEVER signed a star in free agency. EVER. How they would do so now, when the franchise's respect level around the league is arguably at an all-time low, is beyond me. If they pull it off, I'll happily send Vlade a carton of his favorite cigarettes and wear a sign of shame in front of the arena for every home game while I watch the team make a playoff run. I just don't see how they get from where they are right now to where they need to be in enough time to make a real difference where it counts the most.

If you can't build that contender, and they run it back with another woefully unprepared roster trying desperately to win games like a tuna flopping around on the beach like last season, then at that point you're not building morale or improving the culture. You're delaying the inevitable. You're killing value of the only real tangible asset you have. You're forcing something to work to save face rather than sucking it up and making the tough decision. You're forcing onward without a real plan or backup plan.

I feel like the Kings have been in that position for 10 years. I'm tired of it. I would rather see them trade DeMarcus (who I LOVE) and start over the right way for once than watch them fail yet again at trying to force relevancy upon an irrelevant roster. Do it all over organically,with a real plan. Who cares if they suck for a few more years? It's not like they don't suck now, and haven't sucked for the last decade. I'll happily sacrifice a few more years for a bigger payoff down the road, especially if they do it right this time.

Obviously not everybody agrees with me. Hell, a year ago I was in your shoes. I flipped out when I heard they were discussing a Boogie trade with the Lakers. Thought it was high treason to even consider trading him, especially to the Lakers. However my mind has officially been changed. I am WAY more scared of the bad things that can happen by keeping him until it's too late than I am of the bad things that could come from getting a fair trade, rebuilding, and watching him succeed elsewhere. I think the choice has been taken away from us at this point. That Phily trade sure as hell didn't help. Their hands are pretty much tied. If they can't make it work after 6 years, with all the opportunities and resources they have, what makes you think that a Hail Mary on 7th down is going to work out?

Of course, if Boogie comes out and publicly promises that he is staying in Sacramento, through thick or thin, and is signing an extension here no matter what, then all of this goes out the window. However I do not see that happening yet. I see no reason why he would commit to a team that has repeatedly shown an inability to do right by him, especially when he will have an opportunity to go wherever he wants and play with whoever he wants 2 summers from now. I'm convinced that this guy wants a ring (and I think that desire will only go stronger if they win Gold this summer by the way), and I think he will do whatever he feels he has to do to go get himself some hardware. He's currently on track to be the most spectacular player in NBA history to never play in a playoff game...I don't think he wants that to be his legacy.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#102 » by Jstock12 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:43 am

Papagiannis is the Greek Boogie.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#103 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:47 am

c3j3h wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
c3j3h wrote:.

As far as Conley is concerned, I would be willing to make a wager of some kind with you that he will not be signing with Sacramento. I think your restriction of his "realistic" market to San Antonio and Sacramento is optimistic, at best. I think San Antonio would absolutely bench Tony Parker for Conley in a heartbeat, and they are probably not signing Durant anyway considering they have a SF and PF locked up as it is. I think there are WAY more teams in much more attractive situations that will be throwing a lot of money at Conley.

Now that I'm looking Houston may very well be an option. That being said I don't see Conley as a great fit for a team with Harden and MDA. Would you care to share these other teams that you think will be going after him?

Lakers - Russell
Clippers - Paul
Suns - Knight and Bledsoe
Warriors - Curry

Wolves - Dunn and Rubio
Nuggets- Mudiay
Thunder- Westbrook
Portland- Lillard
Jazz - Exum and Hill

Pelicans - Jrue

So in the west that leaves sac, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, spurs

Raps- Lowry
Celtics - Thomas and Smart
Knicks - rose

Cavs- Irving
Pacers - Teague
Pistons - Jackson

Heat - dragic
Hawks - Dennis Schroder
Hornets - Kemba
Wizards - Wall
Magic - Peyton

76ers, Nets, and I suppose the Bulls and bucks.

So that leaves 9 teams that could possible use his services

I'd take Nets Sixers out of the conversation immediately.

Spurs - Tony Parker plus need up front and minimal cap space leads me to believe they aren't going to make this change yet.
Mavs - not much to build around but I'll put them as an option
Rockets - Beverly Harden and MDA lead me to believe this is a bad option for Conley . They were also a huge mess last year and regressed.
Memphis- Old declining team just fired coach and are pretty much left with old injured Gasol as the only other building block
Bulls - I guess they could potentially be a player but I haven't much heard them talk about it and it's still up for debate if they are rebuilding.
Bucks - Giannis plays point forward so seems like they want to target a Bradley, delevadova type player to play point.
Kings

Ranking these in order of most attractive I actually have us as #2 behind the spurs. Did I miss anyone?

The way I see it we can provide him a situation similar to the one he had success in Memphis. Cousins has potential if he isn't already better than Gasol ever was. We will likely run a very similar system that he has been running in Memphis. I see it as a change of pace but much of the same and a place he can get paid the max but fall into a role that works for him.

Ok I'll play along. In addition to the teams you listed, there are a few more that could be looking to upgrade.

Depending on what the Lakers do this summer, I could definitely see them throwing an offer at Conley. There have been rumors that they are not completely satisfied with Russell, plus he can play off ball as a SG. They also have a **** of cap space.

The Suns have had rumors swirling around about them potentially trading Knight or Bledsoe. If Bledsoe in particular gets moved, you can expect them to be in play.

I could see the Nuggets potentially making an offer. Yes Mudiay is supposedly their PG of the future, but he didn't exactly have a great rookie year. You never know.

The Pelicans are absolutely in play as well. Conley is arguably just as good, if not better than Jrue. Holiday is also on a now expiring contract.

I don't think the Knicks should be absolutely counted out, although they should be heavily discounted. Rose is on an expiring contract. I could see them potentially having Rose transition into a 6th man role. Not likely however.

Elfrid Payton has struggled quite a bit in Orlando. He even lost his starting job at one point this past season. I think it's a stretch at best to say that Payton is locked in as the Magic starting PG of the future. They absolutely could be in play for Conley this summer.

I also don't think it's fair to completely discount Indiana and Utah. They did just pull off a PG swap this past week, but George Hill and Jeff Teague are both expiring contracts. Conley is arguably a better PG than either of them. They could very easily be flipped again to make room for Conley. Conley is also originally from Indianapolis so that could make a return to Indiana possible for him.

You also have to take the home town factor into account with Memphis. Conley has played his entire career there. He still is close with his teammates he has been battling with for years. Yes, Joerger is his former coach, but only for the past 3 seasons, and by all accounts they didn't exactly have a great relationship. Maybe they did? Who knows. But Memphis cannot be discounted entirely.

Finally, we have to take into account the fact that this is going to be the craziest free agency summer of all time. There is a ton of money flying around. There will be crazy contracts offered. There will be wild trades made. Nobody knows what these rosters are going to look like a week or 2 from now. Anything can happen.

I still think he ends up with San Antonio. That's the most logical place for him to go, and he certainly makes more sense for the Spurs than Pau Gasol does (Pau is going to be 36!!!). But to say that the Kings are the clear #2 here is, again, more than a little optimistic. I would be ecstatic if Conley chose Sacramento, but again I would bet against it.

So basically one of those teams have to move a current point guard in order to make room for him. Also let me ask you are any of those teams in a better position or provide a better situation to win the US?

Denver they are clearly stockpiling assets, Malone coached the hell out of that team and they did as good of us with a lame duck non existent coach. Also they aren't going to just punt on Mudiay after one year he definitely wasn't that bad.

The Suns? They are also rebuilding and if they move Bledsoe then maybe we are in play for him. But I'd guess if they didn't move him already they won't be.

Pelicans? They have huge holes at the 3 and 5, I highly doubt they pay to replace their second best player you are really reaching.

Orlando? They just traded for Ibaka and could be an option but they still need to resign Fournier and word has it they are making a play for Horford.

Knicks? They are paying Rose how much? There goal is to compete I highly doubt they spend 45 million at point guard with such big holes at 2g and 5 again you are reaching on this one.

Lakers? They have been linked to nearly every big name except for Conley. Ask any Lakers fan they are very happy with Deangelo, they are likely going to chase another wing and Whiteside I don't think they would be foolish enough to stunt Deangalo by moving him to off guard which would be a complete waste of talent.

Utah has Exum, just traded for Hill, still have Mack, neto and Burkes they won't be chasing Conley I can guarantee that.

Pacers don't have the space to offer him a max and if they created it then I'm certain they attempt to fill the hole at 2 rather than stack up at pg. It would have made more sense had they kept hill who can actually play 2.

Anyways I still stand by us being a better fit than any of those teams. I'm not saying he's 100% coming to sacramento but I think we are on a short list of teams he would consider.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#104 » by Kings2013 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:52 am

c3j3h wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
c3j3h wrote:
If I may retort: I disagree with your contention that his reputation is in the toilet. Quite the contrary! I think his reputation is possibly better than it has ever been.

1. The whole world knows about the Karl situation at this point. They know about him overstepping his bounds and trying to trade Boogie behind the backs of the organization. They know that he basically quit on trying to coach the team before the season ever really started. I think most NBA fans see Karl for the snake he is.

2. The dysfunction of the franchise as a whole is well known. Vivek and Vlade are much more widely ostracized for their missteps and shortcomings. It's basically a meme at this point. I don't think anybody in their right mind blames all of this, or even most of it, on Cousins at this point. He is clearly not the only problem.

3. Despite team and organizational dysfunction, Boogie's performance has been better than ever. He's coming off a season where he averaged 27 points and 11.5 rebounds per game. He made the All Star game for the 2nd year in a row. He's one of the headliners of this summer's Olympic team, after winning a gold medal in the FIBA games already. He was named 2nd team All-NBA despite being on a team that hasn't won more than 33 games in his 6 year career, and he was ROBBED of what should've easily been a 1st team spot. He's inarguably the best Center on Earth.

On top of all of that, he has 2 years left on a great contract by the new salary cap standards. His $17 million owed this season makes up a measly 18% of the salary cap, for a guy that should arguably be the best player on a playoff contender. He's an absolute monster in the paint, is an effective defender. Most of his attitude problems on the court can be attributed to frustration from losing. Oh, and he's only going to be 26 years old this upcoming season.

If they wait until next year, do you really think his trade value will go up?!? How?!? Why?!? The only way they trade him at that point is if they are absolutely sure they won't be able to re-sign him, which means that they tried and failed yet again to make the playoffs. Do you think a 7th year missing the playoffs, with his 7th different NBA coach, is somehow going to make him look better? Do you think having one fewer year left on his contract will make him more appealing as trade bait than he is now? I certainly don't.

If you think the Kings can only get 70 cents on the dollar for him now (which i completely disagree with by the way) then wait until you see the offers that roll in (or more than likely don't roll in) when his contract becomes an expiring contract after yet another losing season on a team that is constructed specifically to benefit him...

IMO much of your argument is why we should keep him. Best center in the league. Arguably a top 10 talent. He's the guy you spend 5 years looking for in the draft. He's never been put in a good situation. This year going in with the moves we have already made at the coaching spot will easily be the best opportunity he has had. Don't forget at one point last year we were 45 games in at .500 ball trending upwards, the rest is history.

I see absolutely no reason to trade Cousins until we see what kind of difference Joerger makes. By all accounts Joerger isn't a rebuilding coach, he isn't a fast pace coach, he was brought in specifically to work with Cousins and I'd like to see that though.

Well this brings us right back to the beginning once again. I have said from day one, I would love to keep Cousins. He is one of my favorite players ever. I just don't see how they realistically pull it off.

At the end of the day, the guy is going to have to make a choice where he wants to spend the rest of his prime. His contract with the Kings expires at the end of his Age 27 season, so a 4 year contract would keep him here until the end of his Age 31 season. Those 4 years are the prime years.

Is he going to choose to stay in Sacramento for his prime if the Kings can't manage to build a legitimate playoff team around him by then? I seriously doubt it. I see no reason why he would. It would be stupid of him to do that.

Can the Kings afford to let his contract expire without signing him to an extension or trading him? Absolutely not! That is the worst case scenario, especially for a small market like Sacramento. Obviously, this decision will have to be made next summer at the very latest. Either he re-ups or he doesn't and you trade him.

The problem is, waiting another summer not only hurts his trade value, but it also hurts the Kings' subsequent reboot. That's one more potential lottery pick thrown away. One more summer spent frantically signing free agents and making trades to fill a roster around a guy that won't be here in a year. One more summer wasted on what could be a head start to the rebuild.

So rather than waiting until summer 2017 to make these decisions, they have to make these decisions now. If they can build a real team this summer, that's **** great! Bring in Conley and a good young 2-way SG and I"m all on board. I'm **** stoked. I just don't see that happening. The Kings have NEVER signed a star in free agency. EVER. How they would do so now, when the franchise's respect level around the league is arguably at an all-time low, is beyond me. If they pull it off, I'll happily send Vlade a carton of his favorite cigarettes and wear a sign of shame in front of the arena for every home game while I watch the team make a playoff run. I just don't see how they get from where they are right now to where they need to be in enough time to make a real difference where it counts the most.

If you can't build that contender, and they run it back with another woefully unprepared roster trying desperately to win games like a tuna flopping around on the beach like last season, then at that point you're not building morale or improving the culture. You're delaying the inevitable. You're killing value of the only real tangible asset you have. You're forcing something to work to save face rather than sucking it up and making the tough decision. You're forcing onward without a real plan or backup plan.

I feel like the Kings have been in that position for 10 years. I'm tired of it. I would rather see them trade DeMarcus (who I LOVE) and start over the right way for once than watch them fail yet again at trying to force relevancy upon an irrelevant roster. Do it all over organically,with a real plan. Who cares if they suck for a few more years? It's not like they don't suck now, and haven't sucked for the last decade. I'll happily sacrifice a few more years for a bigger payoff down the road, especially if they do it right this time.

Obviously not everybody agrees with me. Hell, a year ago I was in your shoes. I flipped out when I heard they were discussing a Boogie trade with the Lakers. Thought it was high treason to even consider trading him, especially to the Lakers. However my mind has officially been changed. I am WAY more scared of the bad things that can happen by keeping him until it's too late than I am of the bad things that could come from getting a fair trade, rebuilding, and watching him succeed elsewhere. I think the choice has been taken away from us at this point. That Phily trade sure as hell didn't help. Their hands are pretty much tied. If they can't make it work after 6 years, with all the opportunities and resources they have, what makes you think that a Hail Mary on 7th down is going to work out?

Of course, if Boogie comes out and publicly promises that he is staying in Sacramento, through thick or thin, and is signing an extension here no matter what, then all of this goes out the window. However I do not see that happening yet. I see no reason why he would commit to a team that has repeatedly shown an inability to do right by him, especially when he will have an opportunity to go wherever he wants and play with whoever he wants 2 summers from now. I'm convinced that this guy wants a ring (and I think that desire will only go stronger if they win Gold this summer by the way), and I think he will do whatever he feels he has to do to go get himself some hardware. He's currently on track to be the most spectacular player in NBA history to never play in a playoff game...I don't think he wants that to be his legacy.

Team might be competitive now with a simple coaching change, if the team is competitive (7-8?) Boogie has been very loyal here. That seems to be the hang up. RipPizza believes it and so do I. Cousins/Gay/WCS/Casspi/Koufos/etc is talent on paper that can be competitive with a decent coach, we will see. Vlade said the team should have been in the playoffs, he believes it. Karl was not good
c3j3h
Senior

Post#105 » by c3j3h » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:57 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
c3j3h wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Now that I'm looking Houston may very well be an option. That being said I don't see Conley as a great fit for a team with Harden and MDA. Would you care to share these other teams that you think will be going after him?

Lakers - Russell
Clippers - Paul
Suns - Knight and Bledsoe
Warriors - Curry

Wolves - Dunn and Rubio
Nuggets- Mudiay
Thunder- Westbrook
Portland- Lillard
Jazz - Exum and Hill

Pelicans - Jrue

So in the west that leaves sac, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, spurs

Raps- Lowry
Celtics - Thomas and Smart
Knicks - rose

Cavs- Irving
Pacers - Teague
Pistons - Jackson

Heat - dragic
Hawks - Dennis Schroder
Hornets - Kemba
Wizards - Wall
Magic - Peyton

76ers, Nets, and I suppose the Bulls and bucks.

So that leaves 9 teams that could possible use his services

I'd take Nets Sixers out of the conversation immediately.

Spurs - Tony Parker plus need up front and minimal cap space leads me to believe they aren't going to make this change yet.
Mavs - not much to build around but I'll put them as an option
Rockets - Beverly Harden and MDA lead me to believe this is a bad option for Conley . They were also a huge mess last year and regressed.
Memphis- Old declining team just fired coach and are pretty much left with old injured Gasol as the only other building block
Bulls - I guess they could potentially be a player but I haven't much heard them talk about it and it's still up for debate if they are rebuilding.
Bucks - Giannis plays point forward so seems like they want to target a Bradley, delevadova type player to play point.
Kings

Ranking these in order of most attractive I actually have us as #2 behind the spurs. Did I miss anyone?

The way I see it we can provide him a situation similar to the one he had success in Memphis. Cousins has potential if he isn't already better than Gasol ever was. We will likely run a very similar system that he has been running in Memphis. I see it as a change of pace but much of the same and a place he can get paid the max but fall into a role that works for him.

Ok I'll play along. In addition to the teams you listed, there are a few more that could be looking to upgrade.

Depending on what the Lakers do this summer, I could definitely see them throwing an offer at Conley. There have been rumors that they are not completely satisfied with Russell, plus he can play off ball as a SG. They also have a **** of cap space.

The Suns have had rumors swirling around about them potentially trading Knight or Bledsoe. If Bledsoe in particular gets moved, you can expect them to be in play.

I could see the Nuggets potentially making an offer. Yes Mudiay is supposedly their PG of the future, but he didn't exactly have a great rookie year. You never know.

The Pelicans are absolutely in play as well. Conley is arguably just as good, if not better than Jrue. Holiday is also on a now expiring contract.

I don't think the Knicks should be absolutely counted out, although they should be heavily discounted. Rose is on an expiring contract. I could see them potentially having Rose transition into a 6th man role. Not likely however.

Elfrid Payton has struggled quite a bit in Orlando. He even lost his starting job at one point this past season. I think it's a stretch at best to say that Payton is locked in as the Magic starting PG of the future. They absolutely could be in play for Conley this summer.

I also don't think it's fair to completely discount Indiana and Utah. They did just pull off a PG swap this past week, but George Hill and Jeff Teague are both expiring contracts. Conley is arguably a better PG than either of them. They could very easily be flipped again to make room for Conley. Conley is also originally from Indianapolis so that could make a return to Indiana possible for him.

You also have to take the home town factor into account with Memphis. Conley has played his entire career there. He still is close with his teammates he has been battling with for years. Yes, Joerger is his former coach, but only for the past 3 seasons, and by all accounts they didn't exactly have a great relationship. Maybe they did? Who knows. But Memphis cannot be discounted entirely.

Finally, we have to take into account the fact that this is going to be the craziest free agency summer of all time. There is a ton of money flying around. There will be crazy contracts offered. There will be wild trades made. Nobody knows what these rosters are going to look like a week or 2 from now. Anything can happen.

I still think he ends up with San Antonio. That's the most logical place for him to go, and he certainly makes more sense for the Spurs than Pau Gasol does (Pau is going to be 36!!!). But to say that the Kings are the clear #2 here is, again, more than a little optimistic. I would be ecstatic if Conley chose Sacramento, but again I would bet against it.

So basically one of those teams have to move a current point guard in order to make room for him. Also let me ask you are any of those teams in a better position or provide a better situation to win the US?

Denver they are clearly stockpiling assets, Malone coached the hell out of that team and they did as good of us with a lame duck non existent coach. Also they aren't going to just punt on Mudiay after one year he definitely wasn't that bad.

The Suns? They are also rebuilding and if they move Bledsoe then maybe we are in play for him. But I'd guess if they didn't move him already they won't be.

Pelicans? They have huge holes at the 3 and 5, I highly doubt they pay to replace their second best player you are really reaching.

Orlando? They just traded for Ibaka and could be an option but they still need to resign Fournier and word has it they are making a play for Horford.

Knicks? They are paying Rose how much? There goal is to compete I highly doubt they spend 45 million at point guard with such big holes at 2g and 5 again you are reaching on this one.

Lakers? They have been linked to nearly every big name except for Conley. Ask any Lakers fan they are very happy with Deangelo, they are likely going to chase another wing and Whiteside I don't think they would be foolish enough to stunt Deangalo by moving him to off guard which would be a complete waste of talent.

Utah has Exum, just traded for Hill, still have Mack, neto and Burkes they won't be chasing Conley I can guarantee that.

Pacers don't have the space to offer him a max and if they created it then I'm certain they attempt to fill the hole at 2 rather than stack up at pg. It would have made more sense had they kept hill who can actually play 2.

Anyways I still stand by us being a better fit than any of those teams. I'm not saying he's 100% coming to sacramento but I think we are on a short list of teams he would consider.

Offer still stands if you care to make a wager on Conley signing a free agent contract with the Kings...Really don't see the need to keep rehashing this all day. Teams make trades during Free Agency. Rosters are not set. Sacramento is not a top free agent destination and never has been. I would love to be wrong. let me know!
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#106 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:06 am

c3j3h wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
c3j3h wrote:

What you are missing is this isn't the same organization that has been trying to make it work. The front office and coaching staff literally went through an overhall. This is vlades 2nd year, he admitted he needed help and brought in a numbers guy, that to me is huge that someone could admit they made a mistake and actually go correct it.

Vivek was basically manipulated by Pete and Mullin to let them create their own GSW, that didn't work it set us back a few years. We had an excellent coach and were off to a good start and then the rug gets pulled out and I can only imagine how frustrated it was to be Demarcus at that point. Now we have gotten rid of all of the snakes, brought in a front office who is all on the same page and has one common goal - to win around Cousins going into the new stadium. Vlade drafted WCS and was grilled by the whole media "how does he pass on Winslow and Mudiay" how is that looking for us now? Everyone thought Belinelli had negative value around the league, vlade got #22! By all accounts Koufos will yield a similar payout. I get it he messed up badly on the Philly trade but he had good intentions and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he had a promise from Matthews who then backed out for Dallas when it looked like they were going to be contenders with Parsons/Dirk/DeAndre. All I'm saying is let's give the guy a chance, if we wait another half year to trade Cousins then his value should only drop a bit but I'd much rather live with that then wondering what could have been with the best big man to come out since Duncan.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#107 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:07 am

c3j3h wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
c3j3h wrote:

Offer still stands if you care to make a wager on Conley signing a free agent contract with the Kings...Really don't see the need to keep rehashing this all day. Teams make trades during Free Agency. Rosters are not set. Sacramento is not a top free agent destination and never has been. I would love to be wrong. let me know!

A wager? Are we going to meet up to exchange this money or do it through paypal lol. Like I said I'm not 100% saying he's coming to sacramento, I'd put our chances around 25% but it certainly isn't 0%.
c3j3h
Senior

Post#108 » by c3j3h » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:12 am

Again, I appreciate your optimism. I just don't share it with you. I'm a results guy. Give me something tangible to work with. All I'm hearing is promises from a Front Office that has shown me nothing but disfunction. I'm tired of giving these guys credit for what they're GOING to do. I would much rather judge them on what they actually do. I can no longer sit here and give Vlade and these guys credit for words that don't turn into wins, or at least progress.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: Re: Welcome Georgios Papagiannis! 

Post#109 » by City of Trees » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:36 am

c3j3h wrote:Again, I appreciate your optimism. I just don't share it with you. I'm a results guy. Give me something tangible to work with. All I'm hearing is promises from a Front Office that has shown me nothing but disfunction. I'm tired of giving these guys credit for what they're GOING to do. I would much rather judge them on what they actually do. I can no longer sit here and give Vlade and these guys credit for words that don't turn into wins, or at least progress.

Based on facts I'd have to say Vlade pulled together the Kings largest Free agent class in recent memory last offseason. That's gotta count for something! Overall I'm not very optimistic Vlade can bring in top tier talent in FA this year but he could bring in maybe one 2nd tier guy like Bazemore while the big teams compete over Durant and Conley?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
c3j3h
Senior

Post#110 » by c3j3h » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:14 am

City of Trees wrote:
c3j3h wrote:Again, I appreciate your optimism. I just don't share it with you. I'm a results guy. Give me something tangible to work with. All I'm hearing is promises from a Front Office that has shown me nothing but disfunction. I'm tired of giving these guys credit for what they're GOING to do. I would much rather judge them on what they actually do. I can no longer sit here and give Vlade and these guys credit for words that don't turn into wins, or at least progress.

Based on facts I'd have to say Vlade pulled together the Kings largest Free agent class in recent memory last offseason. That's gotta count for something! Overall I'm not very optimistic Vlade can bring in top tier talent in FA this year but he could bring in maybe one 2nd tier guy like Bazemore while the big teams compete over Durant and Conley?

And what became of that free agent class?

Bellinelli was brought in to fill in the void left by trading Stauskas away (who was the #8 overall pick in 2014). He proceeded to have by far the worst season of his career ( was statistically worse than even Stauskas). He just got traded for the #22 in 2016, Malachi Richardson, who is not as promising of a prospect as Stauskas was.

James Anderson declined his player option and instead opted to go play in Turkey.

Rajón Rondo put up his expected empty stats all year, and is now an Unrestricted Free Agent. He has received interest from a few teams, and many Kings fans do not wish to see him return. if he does leave, we will receive nothing at all from the year he spent here.

Koufos has a solid year coming off the bench, and is apparently now on the trade block after the Kings just drafted his supposed replacement.

So only 1 of those 4 guys are still on the roster. 2 are definitely not coming back. We turned one of them into Malachi Richardson. And most fans will be happy if we lose Rondo for nothing. And the team won 33 games

And he accomplished all of these Free Agents, by the way, by orchestrating one of the worst trades in franchise history (which is REALLY saying something). He did this allegedly because he wanted to make big offers to Danny Green and/or Wes Matthews, both of which turned down Vlade's offers and signed elsewhere for less money.

So no, in my opinion, that last summer of free agents doesn't count for much. Certainly not anything positive.

Again, I hope that Vlade knocks it out of the park this summer. He just hasn't exactly set a great precedent so far.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: Re: Re: Welcome Georgios Papagiannis! 

Post#111 » by City of Trees » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:29 am

c3j3h wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

And what became of that free agent class?

Bellinelli was brought in to fill in the void left by trading Stauskas away (who was the #8 overall pick in 2014). He proceeded to have by far the worst season of his career ( was statistically worse than even Stauskas). He just got traded for the #22 in 2016, Malachi Richardson, who is not as promising of a prospect as Stauskas was.

James Anderson declined his player option and instead opted to go play in Turkey.

Rajón Rondo put up his expected empty stats all year, and is now an Unrestricted Free Agent. He has received interest from a few teams, and many Kings fans do not wish to see him return. if he does leave, we will receive nothing at all from the year he spent here.

Koufos has a solid year coming off the bench, and is apparently now on the trade block after the Kings just drafted his supposed replacement.

So only 1 of those 4 guys are still on the roster. 2 are definitely not coming back. We turned one of them into Malachi Richardson. And most fans will be happy if we lose Rondo for nothing. And the team won 33 games

And he accomplished all of these Free Agents, by the way, by orchestrating one of the worst trades in franchise history (which is REALLY saying something). He did this allegedly because he wanted to make big offers to Danny Green and/or Wes Matthews, both of which turned down Vlade's offers and signed elsewhere for less money.

So no, in my opinion, that last summer of free agents doesn't count for much. Certainly not anything positive.

Again, I hope that Vlade knocks it out of the park this summer. He just hasn't exactly set a great precedent so far.

The impact made by the FA class is a different topic. I thought we were talking about Sacramento's ability to attract Free agents?

Rondo, Belinelli, Koufus, Curry, and Acy.

As for the trade you can't label it as the worst until after 2019 and we can take a look back because as of today the Kings havent given up anything. Id label the JJ Hickson trade much worse at this point as it's limited the teams options for years.

c3j3h
Senior

Post#112 » by c3j3h » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:37 am

I was simply pointing out the quality of the free agents brought in, and what little positive effect they had on the team as a whole.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#113 » by City of Trees » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:42 am

c3j3h wrote:I was simply pointing out the quality of the free agents brought in, and what little positive effect they had on the team as a whole.

Gotcha. Yeah the FA class had little impact in the Win column.

Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by Kings2013 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:00 am

c3j3h wrote:I was simply pointing out the quality of the free agents brought in, and what little positive effect they had on the team as a whole.

That's hindsight

Rajon was the league leader in assists and his shooting increased across the table (although still woeful at the line). If his defense and motor didn't fall off a cliff he could have had s Kidd resurgence

Malachi, who we got for Belinelli, may or may not be worth the unprotected depending on our trajectory and his. Who knew Beli would curtail like that?

Koufos can still be flipped for value

Ultimately they were trying to replace McLemore with a Matthews who if he was able to bounce back would have transformed the team

The team was rightly made to build around Cousins/Gay after the 2015 team had one of the best statistical starting units in the league and a bad bench

The team should be better or not significantly worse than Philly and it will come down to the value of the pieces versus that unprotected
c3j3h
Senior

Post#115 » by c3j3h » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:15 am

Kings2013 wrote:

That's hindsight

Rajon was the league leader in assists and his shooting increased across the table (although still woeful at the line). If his defense and motor didn't fall off a cliff he could have had s Kidd resurgence

Malachi, who we got for Belinelli, may or may not be worth the unprotected depending on our trajectory and his. Who knew Beli would curtail like that?

Ultimately they were trying to replace McLemore with a Matthews who if he was able to bounce back would have transformed the team

The team was rightly made to build around Cousins/Gay after the 2015 team had one of the best statistical starting units in the league and a bad bench

The team should be better or not significantly worse than Philly and it will come down to the value of the pieces versus that unprotected

Ok. I gotta nitpick here. You start off the quote by claiming that my post was simply hindsight, but then you give Rondo credit for things that he did while he was in Sacramento...

When the Kings signed Rondo, he was coming off the Dallas incident, where the last time we saw him play basketball before we signed him, he literally got kicked off his team in the middle of a playoff series after deliberately antagonizing and embarrassing his coach on national TV in the playoffs...

It's also pretty inaccurate to give Rondo credit for improving his shooting prior to coming to Sacramento. He shot 25% from 3p in 22 games in Boston. He did shoot 35% from 3p in Dallas, but he took 54 total attempts over 46 games, which is hardly a significant sample size. He also shot 33.3% from the FT line in Boston, and 45% from FT in Dallas. His TS% was 42% in Boston and 46% in Dallas, both well below his career average. They took on Rondo at a time when no other team in the NBA offered him a contract, and it was widely reported that one of the big reasons for him coming here (aside from resurrecting his career) was his friendship with Rudy Gay.

The other 3 guys brought in were all backups. Koufos played his role just fine, and maybe we can get some value out of him this summer. Belienlli and Anderson were both terrible, but at least they got something for Belinelli. Anderson literally gave up his own contract he was so bad, and Rondo looks like he may walk for nothing.

None of those guys were big gets. We didn't win any bidding wars or beat out better teams. They didn't make the team better. We have so far seen very little return on investment. I don't see why Vlade should be praised for any of that.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#116 » by Kings2013 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:20 am

c3j3h wrote:
Kings2013 wrote:

That's hindsight

Ok. I gotta nitpick here. You start off the quote by claiming that my post was simply hindsight, but then you give Rondo credit for things that he did while he was in Sacramento...

When the Kings signed Rondo, he was coming off the Dallas incident, where the last time we saw him play basketball before we signed him, he literally got kicked off his team in the middle of a playoff series after deliberately antagonizing and embarrassing his coach on national TV in the playoffs...

It's also pretty inaccurate to give Rondo credit for improving his shooting prior to coming to Sacramento. He shot 25% from 3p in 22 games in Boston. He did shoot 35% from 3p in Dallas, but he took 54 total attempts over 46 games, which is hardly a significant sample size. He also shot 33.3% from the FT line in Boston, and 45% from FT in Dallas. His TS% was 42% in Boston and 46% in Dallas, both well below his career average. They took on Rondo at a time when no other team in the NBA offered him a contract, and it was widely reported that one of the big reasons for him coming here (aside from resurrecting his career) was his friendship with Rudy Gay.

The other 3 guys brought in were all backups. Koufos played his role just fine, and maybe we can get some value out of him this summer. Belienlli and Anderson were both terrible, but at least they got something for Belinelli. Anderson literally gave up his own contract he was so bad, and Rondo looks like he may walk for nothing.

None of those guys were big gets. We didn't win any bidding wars or beat out better teams. They didn't make the team better. We have so far seen very little return on investment. I don't see why Vlade should be praised for any of that.

I'm not saying he should be given credit, though I understand his motivations, thus I'm not necessarily down on him yet. And yes, this team has and will struggle getting FAs now unfortunately
c3j3h
Senior

Post#117 » by c3j3h » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:59 am

That we can agree on. Again, I really hope that they make me look stupid and crush it this summer.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#118 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:53 pm

Did anyone watch the rookie press conference? Joerger when asked about who the big man coach for all these youngsters was going to be his answer was Demarcus. Obviously joking, haha, but I would bet he expects Cuz to help show them the ropes.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#119 » by City of Trees » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:05 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:Did anyone watch the rookie press conference? Joerger when asked about who the big man coach for all these youngsters was going to be his answer was Demarcus. Obviously joking, haha, but I would bet he expects Cuz to help show them the ropes.

Joerger is exactly right.

enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#120 » by enderwilson » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:26 pm

City of Trees wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:Did anyone watch the rookie press conference? Joerger when asked about who the big man coach for all these youngsters was going to be his answer was Demarcus. Obviously joking, haha, but I would bet he expects Cuz to help show them the ropes.

Joerger is exactly right.

Vlade said it (out of frame) and Joerger just repeated it before Vlade took over and answered the question for Joerger. At about 10:20 mark on the vid.

Return to Sacramento Kings