ImageImageImageImageImage

Welcome Georgios Papagiannis!

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,043

Re: Welcome Georgios Papagiannis! 

Post#21 » by Magic Giannison » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:25 am

According to reports he signed for 3 years 6 million deal with the Kings.I guess thats typical rookie contract?
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#22 » by Jkam31 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:29 am

Vlade should take who the mock draft guys had slotted at 13.. Comical sone of you. Do you know that he actually scouted this kid unlike the fake experts done of you value.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#23 » by Greek » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:31 am

Papajohn is bad fit but very good player. I am 100% sure that more moves will come, and it's probably that will be around Cousins.

Sent from my LG-D855 using RealGM mobile app
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#24 » by Jkam31 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:58 am

Greek wrote:Papajohn is bad fit but very good player. I am 100% sure that more moves will come, and it's probably that will be around Cousins.

I just don't understand this. If Papa is a hit DMC will get 34mpg WCS 30mpg that would leave Papa with let's day 28mpg with 14 coming at the same time as DMC.

Also this kid is huge 7'2-260 that's bigger than Gosal.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#25 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:15 pm

Well, Sac definitely does not want to follow the GS model. We don't need no steenkin small ball.

Aside from my Bucks inexplicably picking Maker at 10, Sacramento had the most bizarre draft. If I were Vlade, I would have been so happy that Chriss was there at 8, that it would have taken my 2 seconds to pick him. And reports were that Sac liked Chriss. Well, Vlade obviously has very different thoughts about building a team than I do. This all could make some sense if he trades Cousins, but I haven't heard anything.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#26 » by KF10 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:17 pm

Jkam31 wrote:
Greek wrote:Papajohn is bad fit but very good player. I am 100% sure that more moves will come, and it's probably that will be around Cousins.

I just don't understand this. If Papa is a hit DMC will get 34mpg WCS 30mpg that would leave Papa with let's day 28mpg with 14 coming at the same time as DMC.

Where does Skal Labissière fit in this? The Kings have 5 legit bigs on roster: Cousins, Cauley-Stein, Koufos, Papagiannis & Skal.

There is no way the Kings can appropriately allocate minutes to all of those players. Cousins & WCS are sure dead-locks for getting the bulk of the minutes. Then, you have Koufos -- who is one of the better back-up bigs in the L (also, he has rapport with Joerger in his time in Memphis). So, where are the minutes for Papagiannis & Skal?
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#27 » by KF10 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:27 pm

Ruzious wrote:Well, Sac definitely does not want to follow the GS model. We don't need no steenkin small ball.

Aside from my Bucks inexplicably picking Maker at 10, Sacramento had the most bizarre draft. If I were Vlade, I would have been so happy that Chriss was there at 8, that it would have taken my 2 seconds to pick him. And reports were that Sac liked Chriss. Well, Vlade obviously has very different thoughts about building a team than I do. This all could make some sense if he trades Cousins, but I haven't heard anything.

I kinda liked Chriss (hometown talent) but he is a more of an upside pick than Papagiannis, imo. Papagiannis has been a pro when he is like what? 13? 14 years old? While Chriss was focusing on football before he had a shoulder injury and forced him to play basketball instead. The kid fouled out in 15 of his 34 college games and has more turnovers than assists. He is a terrible rebounder. To me, he is more of an athlete than a basketball player, imo. Sure, some of it can be written off as lack of (competitive) experience and beginning basketball pretty late but I'm not peeved that we didn't keep Chriss. If anything, drafting Papagiannis at #13 is questionable -- considered a reach. But that being said, from what I've read and seen, the kid has pretty good potential and ceiling but he's an out and out C and that doesn't play well in the Kings' hands when you have your best player and last draft selection are both Cs. Plus, you have Koufos -- by in large, is one of the better back-up Cs in the L.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,245

Post#28 » by blind prophet » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:44 pm

KF10 wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:

Where does Skal Labissière fit in this? The Kings have 5 legit bigs on roster: Cousins, Cauley-Stein, Koufos, Papagiannis & Skal.

There is no way the Kings can appropriately allocate minutes to all of those players. Cousins & WCS are sure dead-locks for getting the bulk of the minutes. Then, you have Koufos -- who is one of the better back-up bigs in the L (also, he has rapport with Joerger in his time in Memphis). So, where are the minutes for Papagiannis & Skal?

George and Skal likely need a year before contributing much.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of Omri and Rudy playing 4 either.

But can we fill out the roster without having to sacrifice KK salary?

I think Richardson could play some decent minutes right away however.
Greek
Starter

Post#29 » by Greek » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:07 pm

The problem is that you have too many C's that cant play PF, so its a long jump. Either you trade KK, either Cousins given the history that has.

Skal is a good value at 28, but i am not sure that is ready to produce. Papajohn has some stamina issues but on a small minutes as we saw on the Greek finals can produce. I dont expect for him more than 10-14 min, and he will spend some time on the D league as well.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#30 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:10 pm

I don't mean to come here and rub salt in to the wound, but I really do not get this pick. Out of the Kings poor draft history, this is the worst choice they've made in recent memory, imo.

He can be an asset in this league, but I think he's destined to be a back up. He has great hands, mobility, etc. for his size, but he's such a big guy that conditioning, PnR D, etc. are going to limit him to being a 15-20 min guy in todays league. Combine the reach at 13 with a glut of C's, and I can't understand the logic behind it.

I wish you guys well with it.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#31 » by teerfour+40LG » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:59 pm

We've heard before that the Kings are interested in Pau Gasol/Greg Monroe. They probably think that Papagiannis fits that mold. We'll see in summer league.

i want to see if he has a legit 3 point shot. I also want to see if they try to play him in the elbow, which I don't see at all in any of his highlights.
Greek
Starter

Post#32 » by Greek » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:00 pm

GimmeDat wrote:I don't mean to come here and rub salt in to the wound, but I really do not get this pick. Out of the Kings poor draft history, this is the worst choice they've made in recent memory, imo.

He can be an asset in this league, but I think he's destined to be a back up. He has great hands, mobility, etc. for his size, but he's such a big guy that conditioning, PnR D, etc. are going to limit him to being a 15-20 min guy in todays league. Combine the reach at 13 with a glut of C's, and I can't understand the logic behind it.

I wish you guys well with it.

In a league that Marc Gasol is one of the best C's, you are selling Papagiannis very short. Actually in his age he was barely able to run on the court being very chubby. He has all the talent to justify his draft position and is very early to have any conclusion especially for a 7'2 18 y/o player.
longfellow44
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#33 » by longfellow44 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:47 pm

I think Big Papa has a chance to be pretty good. He runs the floor very well and has legit 3pt range. He reminds me of mehmet okur. A huge guy who can finish at the rim and put up shots. Watch some of his video on draft express. The guy moves really well with out the ball. He may be a project but I think vlade may actually see something here.

We didn't expect anyone to really be an immediate help out of this draft so we stockpiled long term assets. Not the best draft But maybe in a few years it won't look so bad.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: Re: Welcome Georgios Papagiannis! 

Post#34 » by City of Trees » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:49 pm

longfellow44 wrote:I think Big Papa has a chance to be pretty good. He runs the floor very well and has legit 3pt range. He reminds me of mehmet okur. A huge guy who can finish at the rim and put up shots. Watch some of his video on draft express. The guy moves really well with out the ball. He may be a project but I think vlade may actually see something here.

We didn't expect anyone to really be an immediate help out of this draft so we stockpiled long term assets. Not the best draft But maybe in a few years it won't look so bad.

I hope he has a mean streak to him and won't shy away from contact.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#35 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:57 pm

BadWolf wrote:Peja isn't half Greek, he does have a Greek citizenship.
PapaG, great player, terrible fit.

I hate to break it to you, but under Serbian law, US law, Greek law, and EU law, he IS half Greek.

KF10 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Well, Sac definitely does not want to follow the GS model. We don't need no steenkin small ball.

I kinda liked Chriss (hometown talent) but he is a more of an upside pick than Papagiannis, imo. Papagiannis has been a pro when he is like what? 13? 14 years old? While Chriss was focusing on football before he had a shoulder injury and forced him to play basketball instead. The kid fouled out in 15 of his 34 college games and has more turnovers than assists. He is a terrible rebounder. To me, he is more of an athlete than a basketball player, imo. Sure, some of it can be written off as lack of (competitive) experience and beginning basketball pretty late but I'm not peeved that we didn't keep Chriss. If anything, drafting Papagiannis at #13 is questionable -- considered a reach. But that being said, from what I've read and seen, the kid has pretty good potential and ceiling but he's an out and out C and that doesn't play well in the Kings' hands when you have your best player and last draft selection are both Cs. Plus, you have Koufos -- by in large, is one of the better back-up Cs in the L.

Papagiannis was in the practice training of Peristeri, which was in Greece's top pro league at the time, when he was 14-15. he basically was used for training and practices. He played in just 8 games over 2 seasons in that time. But still, yes, he was in the top pro league, and was at least practicing with the senior men's team.

But to be realistic about it, he did not actually become a player until about the last month of the 2015-16 season. Up until then, he was like a 13th or 14th man of Panathinaikos. In reality, he has been playing in a pro team's rotation for about a month. That's probably why the mock drafts had him rated way below where he should have been.

He's barely been on the court at all as a professional. But the mock drafts were just flat out wrong about him. He's clearly much more talented by far than guys like Zubac or Zizic, that those mocks had as first rounders. I mean Papagiannis literally destroyed Zubac last year at the under-18 European championship. Just annihilated him, yet these mocks claimed Zubac was a much better player "currently"...so basically, ignore what the mocks said about Papagiannis, because they were way wrong and inaccurate.

Or look at this way, Papagiannis is already clearly much better than Miroslav Raduljica, his teammate on Panathinaikos. Raduljica has already been a rotation center in the NBA. So these mocks were totally way off base in how they rated Papagiannis. You can't be 18 and already better by far than your teammate at your same position, that has been an NBA rotation player, and that is apparently getting some NBA offers even this summer - and be only like a top 40-50 draft pick. I mean really, those mock drafts were basically absurd in how underrated they made Papagiannis
har13
Analyst
And1: 1,520

Post#36 » by har13 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:27 pm

sorry i said my english is bad :D .I didnt meant that someone from his family is Greek but he came in Greek at 16 played here all the years before Nba took Greek citizenship and did his time in Greek army,his wife is Greek and he lives here when he is not in Usa.How can you call him.
I can understand you as a fan base for not liking the pic and i'm not a scout to tell you if he is good or bad but i hope he close the mouth of your f@@@ing insiders sh@@@ for the hate he is getting because of there mock draft failure :evil: :evil: :D
(last time a say sorry for my english)
#FreeChuckDiesel

Sorry for my english guys. :(

It’s a magical weed.

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#37 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:47 pm

har13 wrote:

sorry i said my english is bad :D .I didnt meant that someone from his family is Greek but he came in Greek at 16 played here all the years before Nba took Greek citizenship and did his time in Greek army,his wife is Greek and he lives here when he is not in Usa.How can you call him.
I can understand you as a fan base for not liking the pic and i'm not a scout to tell you if he is good or bad but i hope he close the mouth of your f@@@ing insiders sh@@@ for the hate he is getting because of there mock draft failure :evil: :evil: :D
(last time a say sorry for my english)

The fact is that under the law, he's a full Greek citizen, and he has said himself many times, he considers himself a Greek person first, and a Serb second, which is why he has been living in Greece since he was 16. I take the man's own opinion over what other people think.

There is nothing at all wrong with callig him Greek or half Greek, since that is factually true. He's a Greek person of Serbo descent.
consultant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#38 » by consultant » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:56 pm

It's time to trade Cousins, but the owner will never do it the year they move into a new arena.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#39 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:24 pm

Magic Giannison wrote:According to reports he signed for 3 years 6 million deal with the Kings.I guess thats typical rookie contract?

Yeah, you get paid based on where you are picked. The higher the pick the higher the rookie contract.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#40 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:26 pm

KF10 wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:

Not for the Kings, haha, go back and look at the Kings worst lineups and you'll notice a theme. Maybe that will be different with Joerger who knows.

Return to Sacramento Kings