ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA 2017 Draft thread. 5th pick and 10th pick.

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Re: Pick tracker and prospect thread. 6th (our own) 2 back of #5 pick / 8th (Pels pick), 0.5 back of #7 pick. 

Post#401 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:42 am

c3j3h wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
c3j3h wrote:

Wait why would we only have 2 years to develop somebody? What's the rush? This doesn't make sense.

You are only getting part of the convo. I was more talking about the talent all being ready to really contribute to a playoff team and being under team control at the same time. With WCS and this years guys all looking ready to take the next step, it would be nice to have someone that can come in and contribute in short fashion instead of taking 2-3yrs to be a good player and have an NBA ready body.

Of course, that is only part of what a team would look at but it was something I was thinking about when looking at the SF position.

Are you serious? These guys are not ready to be a playoff team. Your entire premise is flawed here.

Point to where I said they need to be ready now. Talking about before our current young guys are off their rookie deals. Plus I'm not laying out a definite plan that I think should be followed or anything. Just possibilities. All stemmed from my opinon that I'd like a more NBA ready SF rookie than Isaac, as I see him as a 3 yr project.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: RE: Re: Pick tracker and prospect thread. 6th (our own) 2 back of #5 pick / 8th (Pels pick), 0.5 back of #7 pick. 

Post#402 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:28 am

City of Trees wrote:
c3j3h wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:I have doubts about Isaac because of his non NBA ready body. Mostly based on a convo I had with SacKingzzz, I believe, outlining that we only have 2 yrs to maximize with these young guys and I don't know if Isaac will be developed enough to help in the way we'll need in the SF position. Of course, I think he'll be great in time but Tatum, both Bridges, Anunoby, Brooks and even Ojeleye are all better option IMO to produce right away.

Just depends on how far you are looking ahead and your draft philosophy.

Wait why would we only have 2 years to develop somebody? What's the rush? This doesn't make sense.
This.

Yeah Vlade has two years, not the player.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app

I would seriously hope that a timetable like that isn't in play any longer. I mean it's a good goal to have but...
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Re: Pick tracker and prospect thread. 6th (our own) 2 back of #5 pick / 8th (Pels pick), 0.5 back of #7 pick. 

Post#403 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:33 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:I have doubts about Isaac because of his non NBA ready body. Mostly based on a convo I had with SacKingzzz, I believe, outlining that we only have 2 yrs to maximize with these young guys and I don't know if Isaac will be developed enough to help in the way we'll need in the SF position. Of course, I think he'll be great in time but Tatum, both Bridges, Anunoby, Brooks and even Ojeleye are all better option IMO to produce right away.

Just depends on how far you are looking ahead and your draft philosophy.

That's not exactly the main focal point of what I was talking about or at least not to that extent. The time was and is ticking on developing the older guys to their full potential but the more pressing issue would be knowing who the players are and what they might be worth before their rookie deals are up. The good thing about older players like Hield is they tend to be more developed already and we are seeing that right now with Buddy. And don't forget when rebuilding you also have to look at your young players as potential assets to be moved should they not fit into the vision of the team you are trying to build around the players you have designated as your core. There is no reason to trudge out the same tired veteran rotations that will never build value for your team. Simply wasting a rookie season shouldn't have been an option and since then the focus has indeed shifted to the young guys.

There are plenty of the 1 and done players in this draft that shouldn't take years to develop into anything beneficial for the team. If this draft is what it's really cracked up to be then these guys should hit the ground running. Isaac is skinny but I think he's wiry. He's pretty sturdy so I think he'll be OK physically right from the get. He probably needs to put on about 15 pounds or so but he has a decent frame. If he were that skinny and awkward I think there might be reason for concern but he's not. Bridges, Anunoby, and Ojeleye are obvious beasts coming in to the league. So there is value there as well.

That's your opinion on Isaac. I'm not so sure. He strikes me as a guy that is gonna get pushed around til he adds weight and polish and I can see that taking 2-3 years like it did for Giannis. In other words, I don't think it's a one year project but more like a 3 year project. Time will tell. Just my view of him. BTW, not a bad thing. Just something to think about when selecting.

Maybe, but he could still be a pretty good player in the meantime. Skal is getting pushed around too, but in the meantime he's looking like a future piece of the core while getting pushed around. With young players the more they get sand kicked in their face now the quicker you find out if they have what it takes to come back the next year and kick some sand back.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#404 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:10 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

That's not exactly the main focal point of what I was talking about or at least not to that extent. The time was and is ticking on developing the older guys to their full potential but the more pressing issue would be knowing who the players are and what they might be worth before their rookie deals are up. The good thing about older players like Hield is they tend to be more developed already and we are seeing that right now with Buddy. And don't forget when rebuilding you also have to look at your young players as potential assets to be moved should they not fit into the vision of the team you are trying to build around the players you have designated as your core. There is no reason to trudge out the same tired veteran rotations that will never build value for your team. Simply wasting a rookie season shouldn't have been an option and since then the focus has indeed shifted to the young guys.

There are plenty of the 1 and done players in this draft that shouldn't take years to develop into anything beneficial for the team. If this draft is what it's really cracked up to be then these guys should hit the ground running. Isaac is skinny but I think he's wiry. He's pretty sturdy so I think he'll be OK physically right from the get. He probably needs to put on about 15 pounds or so but he has a decent frame. If he were that skinny and awkward I think there might be reason for concern but he's not. Bridges, Anunoby, and Ojeleye are obvious beasts coming in to the league. So there is value there as well.

That's your opinion on Isaac. I'm not so sure. He strikes me as a guy that is gonna get pushed around til he adds weight and polish and I can see that taking 2-3 years like it did for Giannis. In other words, I don't think it's a one year project but more like a 3 year project. Time will tell. Just my view of him. BTW, not a bad thing. Just something to think about when selecting.

Maybe, but he could still be a pretty good player in the meantime. Skal is getting pushed around too, but in the meantime he's looking like a future piece of the core while getting pushed around. With young players the more they get sand kicked in their face now the quicker you find out if they have what it takes to come back the next year and kick some sand back.

Point taken. I see a huge difference between a 6'11 220lb PF and a 6'11 205lb SF.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Pick tracker and prospect thread. 6th (our own) 2 back of #5 pick / 8th (Pels pick), 0.5 back of #7  

Post#405 » by City of Trees » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:36 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
c3j3h wrote:

This.

I would seriously hope that a timetable like that isn't in play any longer. I mean it's a good goal to have but...

I'm willing to let Vlade ride it out longer but his self imposed 2 years is what it is.

Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#406 » by Jkam31 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Come on man you don't entertain taking Ball over Faultz

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Pick tracker and prospect thread. 6th (our own) 2 back of #5 pick / 8th (Pels pick), 0.5 back of #7 

Post#407 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:34 pm

City of Trees wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
City of Trees wrote:This.

I'm willing to let Vlade ride it out longer but his self imposed 2 years is what it is.

Q: Well, the pressure is on you now. It’s pretty clear that Divac, not Ranadive, is making the personnel decisions. Some people still can’t believe Ranadive actually stepped aside and allowed you to trade his favorite player.

A: That’s my job, and I take responsibility. And I totally understand why some fans would be upset. They supported DeMarcus, and I like DeMarcus a lot. But I believe we are going to be in a better position in two years. I want to hear again from these same people in two years. If I’m right, great. If I’m wrong, I’ll step down. But if I go down, I’m going down my way.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article135024309.html#storylink=cpy

Just to make sure we have the context correct. The 2 years was a time limit he put on the team being in a better position. A very open statement that can be judged many different ways.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
dozencousins
Analyst
And1: 135

Post#408 » by dozencousins » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:18 pm

Kings are currently holding the 7th worst record in the NBA .
We have no real chance of having the 1st -3rd worst records however 4th -10th is up for grabs .
Currently 4th -10th looks as follows :

4th Magic 26-46 - ( 1.5 games ahead of us )
5th 76ers 26-45 .5 behind ( 1 games ahead of us )
6th Knicks 27-45 1 game behind ( .5 ahead of us )
7th KINGS 27-44 1.5 games behind
8th Minn 28-42 3 games behind ( 1.5 games behind us )
9th NO 30-41 4.5 games behind ( 3 games behind us )
10th Dall 31-40 5.5 games behind ( 4 games behind us )

I still find games that Denver , Portland , Dallas & Minny play as highly important due to not only Dall , Minny & NO playing key roles to our positioning for a better chance for a higher pick . Also because we need Denver , Portland & Dallas to hold off NO so they can have better records than NO & if we get really lucky though doubtful maybe Minny will pass NO as well .

It would be really nice to see NO to go on a several game losing streak now . Their winning streak makes me a bit nervous .
The 2 other scary teams to me are . 1) NY they seem to be the biggest tankers IMO right now the good news is they have 7 home games remaining versus 4 road games . Also Minny as they only have 2 more home games versus 8 Away games .
Though NO has the 9th worst record pick owed to us 4 & up it looks as if the worst the will get if we are lucky is the 8th worst record .

KINGS have played 71 games . 11 games remaining . 5 Home games & 6 Away games .

Teams winning today that best help us obtaining a worst record to possibly get a higher pick as well as teams winning that keep NO from the playoffs are as follows . ( Keep in mind NO plays Den 3 more times ,as well as Dall & Por each 1 more time as well )

ORL
DEN
CHI
HOUS
MINN
G.S.

ORL Winning and us losing would pull us within a half game
Also us losing and Minny winning would create a much bigger separation between us giving us a much greater chance at not getting passed by Minny .
If DEN wins and NO loses that would almost certainly guarantee NO does not get lucky and makes the playoffs somehow .

I want to continue seeing our youth play great while losing to help us get a better chance at a higher pick however IMO the last 7 games of our season we are playing 5 games against non playoff teams so that makes me really nervous .I would feel a lot more confident if we were playing against playoffs teams that were fighting for a playoff spot or a better playoff position .
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 401

Post#409 » by jeffjtk1234 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:50 pm

As long as New Orleans pick stays top 10-11 we should be fine. Guarantees we get two players before what I see as a big talent drop-off once bridges is off the board. If we can walk away with a pg and sf whether that sf be Isaac or bridges I'll be extremely happy. Personally I like fox and bridges for this team but I can see the DSJ and Isaac love also.

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,530

Post#410 » by codydaze » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:07 pm

jeffjtk1234 wrote:As long as New Orleans pick stays top 10-11 we should be fine. Guarantees we get two players before what I see as a big talent drop-off once bridges is off the board. If we can walk away with a pg and sf whether that sf be Isaac or bridges I'll be extremely happy. Personally I like fox and bridges for this team but I can see the DSJ and Isaac love also.

Yeah, I think 11 is worst case for the NO pick I don't see it dropping to 12 the way that those teams are playing from 11-14. I'm sold on Bridges myself but would be hesitant with Isaac, I just don't see what everyone else is seeing in him. I would be real happy with Fox/Bridges but even more with DSJ/Bridges. I'd like Tatum the most at SF but he'll be gone by our pick and I think we take a PG with the first one.
tyguy
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#411 » by tyguy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:21 pm

c3j3h wrote:

Was going to say that I agree with all of this (except for the part about Ball>Fultz), but you really lost me at the end. Putting Ntilikina over Fultz is insane. Fultz is going to be a star.
Fultz isn't a point guard. I didn't say I would take Fultz over Frank. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Frank ended u being better than Fultz. I'm not at all convinced Fultz will be a star. The 35.7 points per 100 possessions fultz puts up is elite. His mediocre TS and EFG however aren't. I'm not seeing much defender either indicated by his horrible 110 DRTNG and his 1.4 DBPM indicates he is average defensively at the college level. His ws/40 is also a little underwhelming if we are talking surefire star. Now, he could end up being a star. He carries over a 2:1 assists to turnover ratio and is dishing out a good amount of assists on a per 100 possession basis; his rebounding is also good.

I would just think that a sure fire superstar would have more of a team impact that would show up with more winshares, BPM and net rating per 100. As it stands he's looking like a shooting guard that can ship in with rebounding and assists, but isn't going to wow you with efficiency or good defense.

Ball on the other hand isn't putting up scorng numbers in volume, but his efficiency when he does is THROUGH THE ROOF. Ball puts up a much higher 3pAR and connects at a much higher percentage. His EFG and TS is absolutely elite, and he's both a better rebounder, playmaker and defender. I would take Ball #1 over Fultz without hesitation. Fultz higher scoring output is negated by the fact that ball is much more efficient and does more on the floor. You can get mediocre scoring efficiency out of other players.

Now, it seems like the consensus for the most part is that Fultz is going #1 and the only way we have a shot at ball is if both us and Philly finish in the top 2 of the lottery. That is very possible, but remote.

Frank is very worthy of discussing. Same goes for Isaac. I like Isaac more than I like Jackson or tatum. Isaac has the arm length of a center and his defensive numbers are awesome and he's a very efficient scorer. The 3.2 blocks and 2.4 steals per 100 is just awesome. He carries a +.600 TS and actually attempts more 3's per field goal than both Tatum and Jackson.
dozencousins
Analyst
And1: 135

Post#412 » by dozencousins » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:25 pm

The two guys I know the Kings are really looking hard at that I want as well are :

DE'AARON FOX &
MILES BRIDGES

I would be ecstatic if we get both of these guys .
tyguy
Pro Prospect

Post#413 » by tyguy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:27 pm

codydaze wrote:
jeffjtk1234 wrote:As long as New Orleans pick stays top 10-11 we should be fine. Guarantees we get two players before what I see as a big talent drop-off once bridges is off the board. If we can walk away with a pg and sf whether that sf be Isaac or bridges I'll be extremely happy. Personally I like fox and bridges for this team but I can see the DSJ and Isaac love also.

Yeah, I think 11 is worst case for the NO pick I don't see it dropping to 12 the way that those teams are playing from 11-14. I'm sold on Bridges myself but would be hesitant with Isaac, I just don't see what everyone else is seeing in him. I would be real happy with Fox/Bridges but even more with DSJ/Bridges. I'd like Tatum the most at SF but he'll be gone by our pick and I think we take a PG with the first one.
What people see in him is a lengthy small forward that can defensively switch onto multiple positions. A guy with a nice scoring arsenal, that has elite efficiency at the college level with absolutely elite defensive impact. His rebounding and shot blocking is top notch.

Now, I like bridges too. So I wouldn't be upset if we ended up with him. Multiple good point guards and small forwards where we are picking; which is our greatest need.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: RE: Re: Pick tracker and prospect thread. 6th (our own) 2 back of #5 pick / 8th (Pels pick), 0.5 back of #7 pick. 

Post#414 » by City of Trees » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Jkam31 wrote:Come on man you don't entertain taking Ball over Faultz

I'm not saying I would for sure take Ball over Fultz, but I'd have to at the very least do my homework. Unlike Fultz, Ball makes his teammates better. Yeah I understand Fultz didn't have a competitive team but the different style of play/leadership is apparent between the two.

https://youtu.be/vo5sMQLBK4Y

SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#415 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:39 pm

dozencousins wrote:The two guys I know the Kings are really looking hard at that I want as well are :

DE'AARON FOX &
MILES BRIDGES

I would be ecstatic if we get both of these guys .

I'd be ecstatic with just Bridges. Hopefully Fox stinks up the joint in the game tonight because if he gets another good performance or two in that might push him into the top 5 for good.
tyguy
Pro Prospect

Post#416 » by tyguy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:28 pm

City of Trees wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:Come on man you don't entertain taking Ball over Faultz

I'm not saying I would for sure take Ball over Fultz, but I'd have to at the very least do my homework. Unlike Fultz, Ball makes his teammates better. Yeah I understand Fultz didn't have a competitive team but the different style of play/leadership is apparent between the two.

https://youtu.be/vo5sMQLBK4Y

I would for sure. Ball has a much bigger impact on the team while he's on the floor. Beyond that he's much more efficient, a better rebounder, and a better playmaker. .70 TS vs .55, there is a chasm efficiency difference between the two players.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#417 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:37 pm

Justin Jackson looks solid so far today for UNC. He is mocked 12th, 24th and 34th respectively with Draftexpress, NBADraft.net and Tankathon haha.

He reminds me of a young Rudy Gay more that Isaac does. Pure scorer. 6'8 210 not as explosive tho.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Silver Man
Starter
And1: 524

Post#418 » by Silver Man » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:39 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:Justin Jackson looks solid so far today for UNC. He is mocked 12th, 24th and 34th respectively with Draftexpress, NBADraft.net and Tankathon haha.

Wouldn't touch him with either of our lottery picks nor would I trade down to get more picks to draft him with one.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#419 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:45 pm

Silver Man wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:Justin Jackson looks solid so far today for UNC. He is mocked 12th, 24th and 34th respectively with Draftexpress, NBADraft.net and Tankathon haha.

Wouldn't touch him with either of our lottery picks nor would I trade down to get more picks to draft him with one.

Everyone is assuming we get top ten picks. I want and expect as well but if the NO pick does fall into the teens, he is interesting as a SF that can score.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
tyguy
Pro Prospect

Post#420 » by tyguy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Silver Man wrote:

Yeah, not a fan. He's the oldest one and the skinniest one. Poor rebounder, poor defender, scoring is decent, but this is a third year player and his efficiency is okay, but not great. Here are my top 4 small forwards in order:

1.Isaac
2.Jackson
3. Bridges
4. Tatum

There really is no need to go further than this because one of these guys will be available with our first pick.

Return to Sacramento Kings