Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,158

Re: Zach Edey, 7-4 

Post#1061 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 15, 2024 7:17 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
RollingWave wrote:Hear me out, Spurs draft Edey at 8 and go comically large.

(Seriously though the bigger question is the defense if Wemby is around him that would be a major problem for most teams. and he's kind of an offense on to himself. )

He does actually pass decently well, and the hands look very good, the turnover aren't that high relative to the absurd usage and that he was getting double triple teamed almost non stop.

But yeah beyond a certain point (and probably not that far in this draft) someone should take him and just laugh as he destroy second units for 15-20 mins a game.

I think Clingan at 4 makes more sense for SAS. Despite not testing as well as Zach on the court he is a more mobile guy IMO - especially when covering ground on defense. I also think Clingan rolls quicker to the basket. I think they could then most likely still get Reed at 8 to cover some shooting.

There is something to the potential of a Wemby / Clingan PNR. It might not work, but if it does it would be a hell of a ride.

That would death for opponents.

Think like this. Clingan is rim protector and wemby is the rover on defense. Both those guys in the game would be incredible. And wemby a perimeter player so he doesn’t need to be in the lane. Clingan is a good passer too so he wouldn’t clog the lane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,158

Post#1062 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 15, 2024 7:19 pm

Big J wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
Big J wrote:
This is the same **** we see Ben Simmons do every summer. It is meaningless if he can’t shoot in a game.

Predictable progression from he can't shoot to anyone can shoot unguarded. LOL.

I watched Andre Drummond hit 18 of 20 3s in warmups. It's completely meaningless.

Exactly.

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,827

Post#1063 » by azcatz11 » Wed May 15, 2024 7:24 pm

(Seriously though the bigger question is the defense if Wemby is around him that would be a major problem for most teams. and he's kind of an offense on to himself. )

He does actually pass decently well, and the hands look very good, the turnover aren't that high relative to the absurd usage and that he was getting double triple teamed almost non stop.

But yeah beyond a certain point (and probably not that far in this draft) someone should take him and just laugh as he destroy second units for 15-20 mins a game.

His hands aren’t very good. They’re average. On the scale of softness boban is a 10 and Edey is a 5. Gobert would be a 1.

He’s also not a good passer. I don’t know where that narrative is coming from. He rarely passed from the post this past season. I direct anyone to watch Wahl completely dismantle him from the Wisconsin game in February. Edey is a great help defender but he’s such a stiff he can’t do anything in space.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,519

Post#1064 » by ItsDanger » Thu May 16, 2024 5:39 am

jfs1000d wrote:
Big J wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Predictable progression from he can't shoot to anyone can shoot unguarded. LOL.

I watched Andre Drummond hit 18 of 20 3s in warmups. It's completely meaningless.

Exactly.

These combines are structured to establish baselines for prospects moving forward. Even poor performances aren't necessarily damaging to a player's potential.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,407

Post#1065 » by King Ken » Fri May 17, 2024 6:37 am

azcatz11 wrote:

His hands aren’t very good. They’re average. On the scale of softness boban is a 10 and Edey is a 5. Gobert would be a 1.

He’s also not a good passer. I don’t know where that narrative is coming from. He rarely passed from the post this past season. I direct anyone to watch Wahl completely dismantle him from the Wisconsin game in February. Edey is a great help defender but he’s such a stiff he can’t do anything in space.

My scout has Edey with very good hands. Especially for adjustments and rolls which is critical and those guys can finish through contact.

Boban hands in that area is merely average.

Boban hands in the post is special whereas Edey is average at best in that area.

Edey hands are also terrific for rebounds as well.

You say a lot of things I question but this one is probably the most off. Saying Edey hands is a 5 and Boban is a 10 just makes no sense to me. Do you just focus only on post ups?

Saying Edey is not a good post passer is very strange and inaccurate.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#1066 » by King Ken » Fri May 17, 2024 6:42 am

Big J wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
Big J wrote:
This is the same **** we see Ben Simmons do every summer. It is meaningless if he can’t shoot in a game.

Predictable progression from he can't shoot to anyone can shoot unguarded. LOL.

Andre Drummond is probably the worst player in the NBA at translating skills from pick up to real time.

Even against pros, he looks like a superstar. He has handles, can dish, he can dominate. Once he's in the game, he's basically a limited rebounder who can occasionally finish at the rim. That's been the case since he was at UCONN. He don't have the feel, BBIQ, and awareness to play like he plays on pick up in the NBA. I remember one time watching him dawg pros and I was like, why don't you do that in the game. It's like he can't.

Most guys can transition what they train to what they do in the game. Andre can't.
lastb1ckman
Junior
And1: 289

Post#1067 » by lastb1ckman » Fri May 17, 2024 1:25 pm

King Ken wrote:
Big J wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Predictable progression from he can't shoot to anyone can shoot unguarded. LOL.

Andre Drummond is probably the worst player in the NBA at translating skills from pick up to real time.

Even against pros, he looks like a superstar. He has handles, can dish, he can dominate. Once he's in the game, he's basically a limited rebounder who can occasionally finish at the rim. That's been the case since he was at UCONN. He don't have the feel, BBIQ, and awareness to play like he plays on pick up in the NBA. I remember one time watching him dawg pros and I was like, why don't you do that in the game. It's like he can't.

Most guys can transition what they train to what they do in the game. Andre can't.

Yeah Drummond is one of those players that can have a 20 rebound game but you don't feel his impact in game. The number 1 box score watcher player. There's a reason he became a journeyman back up C by age 30.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,508

Post#1068 » by Big J » Fri May 17, 2024 2:06 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Big J wrote:

Yeah Drummond is one of those players that can have a 20 rebound game but you don't feel his impact in game. The number 1 box score watcher player. There's a reason he became a journeyman back up C by age 30.

Yet Drummond's D makes Edey's look pathetic in comparison.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#1069 » by King Ken » Fri May 17, 2024 4:48 pm

Big J wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
King Ken wrote:Andre Drummond is probably the worst player in the NBA at translating skills from pick up to real time.

You don't truly believe this? The mental acuity gap is like young Jokic to JaVale McGee. I don't see how you say this with a straight face
lastb1ckman
Junior

Post#1070 » by lastb1ckman » Fri May 17, 2024 5:04 pm

Big J wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
King Ken wrote:Andre Drummond is probably the worst player in the NBA at translating skills from pick up to real time.

Drummond can defintely be a good defender at times. He plays passing lanes well with this length and can be a great shot blocker. He's just inconsistent and often does bone head stuff on the other end.
Big J
General Manager

Post#1071 » by Big J » Fri May 17, 2024 5:12 pm

King Ken wrote:
Big J wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

You don't truly believe this? The mental acuity gap is like young Jokic to JaVale McGee. I don't see how you say this with a straight face

Of course I believe it! Edey has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he's some basketball savant on offense let alone defense. He's going to be a complete liability on D the second he steps onto an NBA floor.
lastb1ckman
Junior

Post#1072 » by lastb1ckman » Fri May 17, 2024 5:12 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/page/NBADraft24-40145332/2024-nba-draft-combine-prospects-workout-highlights-measurements-stats-more

Things are looking up for Edey this draft. He impressed a lot of folks at the combine. If his mental acuity is can react fast enough to make him at least average on D, I see him carving out a good career as a rotation big in the NBA.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#1073 » by King Ken » Fri May 17, 2024 6:37 pm

Big J wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Big J wrote:

Of course I believe it! Edey has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he's some basketball savant on offense let alone defense. He's going to be a complete liability on D the second he steps onto an NBA floor.

:nonono:
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,755

Post#1074 » by JRoy » Fri May 17, 2024 8:05 pm

Big J wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Big J wrote:

I’ll take that bet.

He’s a rookie, he has a lot to learn but he has a good head on his shoulders and carried and otherwise unimpressive Purdue team to the championship game.

He isn’t a home run pick but I like his chances.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,283

Post#1075 » by FrodoBaggins » Fri May 17, 2024 9:07 pm

Word is Clingan probably goes top three. Which means Edey to Memphis at 9 is likely. That'd be a great destination for Zach. The Grizzlies can bounce back into contention if they remain healthy. Morant-Smart-Bane-Jackson-Edey is a nice starting lineup. Out of all the potential lottery picks, Zach feels like the one prospect most likely to immediately contribute.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,369

Post#1076 » by amcoolio » Fri May 17, 2024 10:06 pm

Edey can have a slow 3pt shot, the only player in the NBA that can block it is Victor Wembanyama.... maybe Gobert and Mark Williams with their giant reaches if they are already on the perimeter, but he will largely be unguarded/shoot over every other player

Honestly I'm fine with Edey at 6 with Charlotte. There isn't a single guy in the 1-8 range besides Sarr I am impressed with yet in this draft. Sheppard is too slow and has alligator arms, Dillingham is Bones Hyland 2.0, Holland and Castle can't shoot so they can't play, Clingan is being touted for his defense yet got annihilated by Edey in the championship game....Why not take the gamble.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,283

Post#1077 » by FrodoBaggins » Fri May 17, 2024 10:24 pm

amcoolio wrote:Edey can have a slow 3pt shot, the only player in the NBA that can block it is Victor Wembanyama.... maybe Gobert and Mark Williams with their giant reaches if they are already on the perimeter, but he will largely be unguarded/shoot over every other player

Honestly I'm fine with Edey at 6 with Charlotte. There isn't a single guy in the 1-8 range besides Sarr I am impressed with yet in this draft. Sheppard is too slow and has alligator arms, Dillingham is Bones Hyland 2.0, Holland and Castle can't shoot so they can't play, Clingan is being touted for his defense yet got annihilated by Edey in the championship game....Why not take the gamble.

You like him as a backup to Mark Williams? Or are you uncertain about Mark's durability or something?
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,200

Post#1078 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat May 18, 2024 2:58 am

I really don't know where to rank Edey, Clingan and Sheppard. Every time I try to justify moving them up their glaring flaws stop me. With all three I just see NBA athletes abusing them on defense enough that they'll be liabilities that coaches won't trust with minutes. Clingan and Edey had major size advantages and nobody in the college game could make them pay but NBA teams will attack them every possession imo. Sheppard wasn't even good on-ball in college due to his size and length. What hope does he have going against much bigger, faster, skillful NBA athletes? I'm much lower on these three than the consensus and I could end up having egg on my face but I might just have to live with that.
Big J
General Manager

Post#1079 » by Big J » Sat May 18, 2024 3:08 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275751/Zach-Edey-On-NBA-Future-Im-Going-To-Stick-To-Who-I-Am

Lol, this guy is in no position to be making demands or proclamations.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,896

Post#1080 » by Norm2953 » Sat May 18, 2024 3:25 am

I could live with Edey at 7, if the alternatives were more guards and guys who can't shoot. In
Portland, the way bigs routinely go down, they can never have enough big people

Edey likely is going to be a guy who will abuse second unit bigs who are 6-8/6-9 for he's
enormous at 7-4 300 lbs. Play him 15-18 mpg and watch him get 6-10 ppg with 4-5 RB

Return to NBA Draft