Wesley Johnson??

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Wesley Johnson?? 

Post#1 » by SparksFly87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Can he play 2 guard with his shooting ability? Is he a better shooting guard prospect then X. Henry and James Anderson
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Wesley Johnson?? 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:44 pm

no he cannot. his ball skills arent good enough.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#3 » by mattg » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:50 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:Can he play 2 guard with his shooting ability? Is he a better shooting guard prospect then X. Henry and James Anderson

definitely not. He really lacks the ball handling ability to play the 2 in the NBA, he'd be a turnover machine. This really got exposed when he played Butler in the tourney and they had to put undersized guys on him who played up in his jersey and he couldn't do anything when he tried to put the ball on the floor. He was most successful at SU as an undersized PF in any case where he was a mismatch nightmare.
Gruel
Senior
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Gruel » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:11 pm

Eventually I see him developing into a Caron Butler/Travis Outlaw type of player. Would you want to play any of those two at the 2guard for long stretches? That's your answer.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#5 » by Sid the Squid » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:47 pm

I see him as a Shawn Marion type forward..He'd fit in great on a Steph Curry team. He can run the floor, defend, rebound, finish and shoot 3's .
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#6 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:37 am

I don't get the logic here. With a guy like Henry, who looks like he could only be a SG in the NBA, people don't really question it. But then there's Johnson, who's more versatile, a great rebounder, etc, but doesn't really have any less SG attributes than Henry, and for some reason he can't be a SG? Makes no sense...

But anyway, it's all about fit. Like with the Sixers, I think he and Iguodala could work well together on the wings. Who's the 'SG' and who's the 'SF' is not important.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#7 » by Sid the Squid » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:41 am

He's a 3 all the way..
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#8 » by teamjosh04 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:44 am

He is more of a 4 than a 2. He'd get exposed at SG most likely with his lack of dribbling ability, plus Im not completely comfortable with him defending on the perimeter. Then again, I didnt think Sam Young would be able to play the 2 for the same reasons and he's logged half of his minutes there...
Follow my twitter for more thoughts on NBA Draft Prospects - http://twitter.com/almostournytime
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#9 » by ponder276 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:27 am

He's more of a SG than my team's starting SG (DeMar DeRozan), at least he's actually a knock down shooter. His natural position is certianly SF, but he can guard SGs and hit jumpers, I see no reason why he couldn't play SG beside a ball handling SF and/or a really ball dominant PG. SGs and SFs are really interchangeable on offense in a lot of systems.

Gruel wrote:Eventually I see him developing into a Caron Butler/Travis Outlaw type of player. Would you want to play any of those two at the 2guard for long stretches? That's your answer.

A somewhat washed up Caron Butler is the starting SG and a generally important player on the 2nd best team in the west. The Mavs went on a tear after acquiring Butler and Haywood, and they've used Butler as a SG the whole time. They were 23-7 after the trade, versus 32-20 pre-trade, so I think that pretty much proves that there's no problem with having a player like Caron as your starting PG (as long as you have a really good ball handler/distributor at another position, like Kidd).
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#10 » by It_Was_Typed » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:22 am

Danny Granger?
#JuiceIsFree
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#11 » by mattg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:59 pm

ponder276 wrote:He's more of a SG than my team's starting SG (DeMar DeRozan), at least he's actually a knock down shooter. His natural position is certianly SF, but he can guard SGs and hit jumpers, I see no reason why he couldn't play SG beside a ball handling SF and/or a really ball dominant PG. SGs and SFs are really interchangeable on offense in a lot of systems.

Gruel wrote:Eventually I see him developing into a Caron Butler/Travis Outlaw type of player. Would you want to play any of those two at the 2guard for long stretches? That's your answer.

A somewhat washed up Caron Butler is the starting SG and a generally important player on the 2nd best team in the west. The Mavs went on a tear after acquiring Butler and Haywood, and they've used Butler as a SG the whole time. They were 23-7 after the trade, versus 32-20 pre-trade, so I think that pretty much proves that there's no problem with having a player like Caron as your starting PG (as long as you have a really good ball handler/distributor at another position, like Kidd).

Obviously he COULD play it, but it would hardly be ideal. Case in point, Kevin Durant COULD play the 2(like he did at one point...) but he isn't nearly as effective.

I think some of you are underestimating how ineffective Johnson would be with an NBA 2 guard defending him. His knockdown shooting ability isn't looking so hot when his defender can play right up in his face because he can't drive past him without turning it over.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#12 » by StocktonShorts » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:04 am

I'm with ponder on this one... he'd likely play SG for the Jazz if he falls to their pick. Jazz start their offense almost exclusively from the PG.

On a lot of teams there's very little difference between the 2 and the 3 anyway.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#13 » by Sid the Squid » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:30 pm

All 3's can play the 2 if need be, that doesnt make Johnson a 2. He's a pure 3.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,953

Post#14 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:44 pm

He doesn't look like he could guard 2s to me. Who cares what his offensive skillset is?
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#15 » by Southward1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:32 pm

Marvin Williams v2.0

Return to NBA Draft