Mason Plumlee

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Mason Plumlee 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Underrated prospect, no? He's 6'10-6'11 and an outstanding athlete, he plays above the rim all the time. Reminds me of a bit of Blake Griffin but with less muscle. Here's a good video showing those tools:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6-1mbfx6gg[/youtube]

Right now at Duke is finishing at the basket and playing off the ball, so he's not lighting it up stats wise. Not a great place for bigs to put up stats. DX says he has a decent handle and form on his jumper though.

Seems like a good kid, hard worker, bball IQ, etc. too. I think he's got top 5-7 upside in this draft. Rather have him than undersized players like Kemba and Sullinger, tweeners like Terrence Jones, or the Euros just because I'd be worried about their feel for a North American game
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Re: Mason Plumlee 

Post#2 » by azuresou1 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:51 am

He's probably a little underrated, but he's nowhere close to Blake Griffin as a prospect. Nowhere close.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#3 » by ManualRam » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:02 am

He is a physical specimen, but I think his b-ball iq is overrated. He's not very skilled and he's a bit robotic. Doesn't look like he's fully recovered from his elbow injury. Doesn't seem like he gets full extension on his shot at all. Right now he's more of an athletic bruiser who'll run the floor. He doesn't remind me of Blake at all.
Point-God
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#4 » by Point-God » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:22 am

Wow so this guy reminds you of Blake Grifin before a guy like Chris "Birdman" Andersen? He plays nothing like Griffin.
Canomad
Banned User
And1: 69

Post#5 » by Canomad » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:29 am

does not remind me of blake at all.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:26 pm

He needs to add quite a bit of muscle to be called a bruiser. And I'm surprised he's still thin. It looks like he has the frame to add quite a bit of muscle - which he is going to need to be successful in the NBA. He is athletic, but he's not in Blake Griffin's league.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#7 » by Cammo101 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:40 pm

Until Singler, Smith, and Irving are gone, it is going to be difficult to gauge Plumlee as a prospect.

He is a deceptively good athlete, but he is nothing close to Griffin terms of athleticism or skill.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#8 » by ManualRam » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:12 pm

Ruzious wrote:He needs to add quite a bit of muscle to be called a bruiser. And I'm surprised he's still thin. It looks like he has the frame to add quite a bit of muscle - which he is going to need to be successful in the NBA. He is athletic, but he's not in Blake Griffin's league.

he looks about 6'10 235. not exactly slim. he gets his points just by being more athletic and more physical than whoever is defending him. not a whole lot of skill or finesse in his game at all.
he does have the tools to have a nice face up game, but he cant shoot or put the ball on the floor more than once.
he's not on blake's level in terms of all around athleticism, but he is VERY springy.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:24 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Ruzious wrote:He needs to add quite a bit of muscle to be called a bruiser. And I'm surprised he's still thin. It looks like he has the frame to add quite a bit of muscle - which he is going to need to be successful in the NBA. He is athletic, but he's not in Blake Griffin's league.

he looks about 6'10 235. not exactly slim. he gets his points just by being more athletic and more physical than whoever is defending him. not a whole lot of skill or finesse in his game at all.
he does have the tools to have a nice face up game, but he cant shoot or put the ball on the floor more than once.
he's not on blake's level in terms of all around athleticism, but he is VERY springy.

No chance he's 235. He's got the frame to get there and more, but unless he's gained 10 lbs since I last saw him (about 2 weeks ago), he ain't there.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Ruzious wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

No chance he's 235. He's got the frame to get there and more, but unless he's gained 10 lbs since I last saw him (about 2 weeks ago), he ain't there.

hes been listed at 230+ since he's been at duke. on their official website, he's listed at 240.
i wouldnt call him skinny or thin at all. he definitely is strong for his level. he lacks skill though. his movements remind me of andre brown. springy, but rigid and robotic.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:34 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
ManualRam wrote:he looks about 6'10 235. not exactly slim. he gets his points just by being more athletic and more physical than whoever is defending him. not a whole lot of skill or finesse in his game at all.

hes been listed at 230+ since he's been at duke. on their official website, he's listed at 240.
i wouldnt call him skinny or thin at all. he definitely is strong for his level. he lacks skill though. his movements remind me of andre brown. springy, but rigid and robotic.

Forget what he's listed at. Draftexpress has him listed at some crazy 6'11 215 size, and we know he's not 6'11. Miles is clearly heavier than Mason, and I'd guess Miles is 235-240. They look alike, and maybe you got them mixed up. Btw, you're under-selling Mason's skills. He's got a nice touch from the perimeter and around the basket. He's not a raw athlete by any stretch.

Schools get sizes wrong all the time. Maryland used to have a swingman named Laron Profit. He was listed at 6'6 from the time they signed him. When he played in the NBA for Washington, he was down to 6'4.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#12 » by ManualRam » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:01 pm

Ruzious wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
Ruzious wrote:No chance he's 235. He's got the frame to get there and more, but unless he's gained 10 lbs since I last saw him (about 2 weeks ago), he ain't there.

Forget what he's listed at. Draftexpress has him listed at some crazy 6'11 215 size, and we know he's not 6'11. Miles is clearly heavier than Mason, and I'd guess Miles is 235-240. They look alike, and maybe you got them mixed up. Btw, you're under-selling Mason's skills. He's got a nice touch from the perimeter and around the basket. He's not a raw athlete by any stretch.

Schools get sizes wrong all the time. Maryland used to have a swingman named Laron Profit. He was listed at 6'6 from the time they signed him. When he played in the NBA for Washington, he was down to 6'4.

235 is more realistic than 215 or whatever dx has him listed at. he's got a strong base and frame, good definition. its more than just wirey strength IMO. and no, i know the difference b/t mason and miles.
he is strong and i disagree about his skills. he's an ok passer, but his ball skills arent good and neither is his footwork in the paint or with his back to the basket. most the time hes trying to play bully ball or just trying to elevate over or around defenders. he shows very little finesse though.
at this stage hes more chris wilcox than say, a blake griffin imo.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:49 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
ManualRam wrote:hes been listed at 230+ since he's been at duke. on their official website, he's listed at 240.

235 is more realistic than 215 or whatever dx has him listed at. he's got a strong base and frame, good definition. its more than just wirey strength IMO. and no, i know the difference b/t mason and miles.
he is strong and i disagree about his skills. he's an ok passer, but his ball skills arent good and neither is his footwork in the paint or with his back to the basket. most the time hes trying to play bully ball or just trying to elevate over or around defenders. he shows very little finesse though.
at this stage hes more chris wilcox than say, a blake griffin imo.

I don't think we're disagreeing much there. He's got a very good frame, and it was his shooting skills that I was primarily referring to. Speaking of Maryland, it'll be interesting to see how he fares against Jordan Williams - who really does have the weight and power of a typical NBA big - and good footwork.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:27 pm

ManRam, after watching the Duke/MD game last night, there's no doubt about Mason Plumlee. He's simply nowhere near being even a 12th man on any NBA roster. He doesn't have close to the strength and skill needed. I'd actually be very surprised if he comes out for the draft. He was abused physically and skill-wise at both ends by Jordan Willams. And as I said before, brother Miles is much thicker and stronger than Mason. Anyone who had hopes for Mason Plumlee being a lotto pick this year... there's no chance.

Edit - Singler, otoh, made plays at both ends whenever his team needed them. He's got tweener written all over him, but the guy will contribute in the NBA. You can always use someone with his size off the bench that can nail 3's and has good all-around skills and smarts.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#15 » by Nolan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:49 am

He's an interesting young player but he really needs to stay in school and work on his game. Every time I watch him play he reminds me of Josh McRoberts and i'm still not sure if thats a good or bad thing.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#16 » by ManualRam » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:01 am

Nolan wrote:He's an interesting young player but he really needs to stay in school and work on his game. Every time I watch him play he reminds me of Josh McRoberts and i'm still not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

i dont really see the comparison. even when mcroberts was "just a dunker" he showed a very nice feel for the game. i dont see that in mason at all.
hes kinda robotic and limited skill-wise.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:10 am

ManualRam wrote:
Nolan wrote:He's an interesting young player but he really needs to stay in school and work on his game. Every time I watch him play he reminds me of Josh McRoberts and i'm still not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

i dont really see the comparison. even when mcroberts was "just a dunker" he showed a very nice feel for the game. i dont see that in mason at all.
hes kinda robotic and limited skill-wise.

Btw, he is skinny, and he's still nowhere near 235. If he's over 220, I'd be surprised.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,053

Post#18 » by UGA Hayes » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:23 am

I agree with Manram--Mason can't shoot or post, so its hard to see how he makes it in his current form. I don't like the McRoberts comparison as he was a above avg passer, and solid defender with passable though not great post moves. I've been surprised its taker McBob so long to carve an NBA niche.
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#19 » by teamjosh04 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:01 am

Manram's posts in this thread have been spot on. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the draft.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:19 pm

teamjosh04 wrote:Manram's posts in this thread have been spot on. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the draft.

Odd timing on that post - considering that even though he hasn't scored much - Mason Plumlee has played exceptional ball the last 3 games.

Return to NBA Draft