Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Jonas Valanciunas 

Post#81 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 9, 2011 2:34 pm

Speaking of those U-18 tournament stars, for those who have see both JV and Enes Kanter, which one do you prefer? Interesting that they were both born in May, 1992 - still just 18 years old.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
karolis1221
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Post#82 » by karolis1221 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 4:09 pm

LithuanianOne wrote:There is much talk about his mid range jumper, but it wasn't mentioned that he actually has one. During one of the youth summer basketball tournaments ( I think it was U-18 in Lithuania) he took a few jumpers during the games and they ( the form, the realise) looked OK. He was able to shoot them because when he plays for these youth teams he is a big part of the offense. But when he plays for Lietuvos Rytas they don't ask him to shot jumpers, so he doesn't. I would love to see him given more freedom on offense when playing agains inferior competition - the team is going to win anyways, so why not let the kid take a few jumpers ?

tell this to mr trifunovic:)
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#83 » by Darknemo2000 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 4:17 pm

Ruzious wrote:Speaking of those U-18 tournament stars, for those who have see both JV and Enes Kanter, which one do you prefer? Interesting that they were both born in May, 1992 - still just 18 years old.

Kanter didnt play in U-18 in Lithuania. So Valanciunas dominated the whole tournament and lithuania without loosing a single game became a champions (usually beating opponents by 20 point average).

Jonas stats -

Minutes -30,2, FG 70,0%, FT - 77,8%, Rebounds - 13,4, assists - 0,9, Steals - 0,6, TO - 2,0, Blocks - 2,7 PF - 2,2, Points - 19,4, EFF - 27,9.

Was a clear tournament MVP. In a way it was bit boring tournament as everyone knew that Lithuania are going to win (generation even without Valanciunas is strong and with Valanciunas they are unbeatable). In U-16 they won finals by 42 points difference, in U-18 'just' by 29 point difference.

As for from younger yyears - Kanter looked better but it was mostly before he started having knee problems which does slow him down a little. Another thing is that Valanciunas was playing in a competitive level for all that time while Kanter was without it.

Kanters stats from youth tournament were always superior to Valanciunas (though again both were totally dominant anyway), but you have to remember that for Turkey kanter was their main option while lithuania has/had such a strong generation that they dont have to run all their plays over Valanciunas like Turkey played over Kanter. Another thing is that Valanciunas is a team player and is unselfish so sometimes he would end with 10 points and 20 rebounds and be happy though he could have say 20 and 20.

Still based on those tournaments Kanter would be first option, but again thet happened a while ago and during that time Jonas was improving fast while Kanter didnt compete at a higher level and did not take part in U-18 so his current abilities are still at a question.

Right now would take Valanciunas over him.
Darknemo2000
Veteran

Post#84 » by Darknemo2000 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 5:01 pm

Here is his vidoes from youth tournament. 2009 U-18 (Valanciunas wa splaying against older guys)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jvPl5-wRsE[/youtube]

And here is lIthuania last U-18 tribute (all teams but you can see a quite a few Valanciunas dunks, blocks etc)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiQtniUWDFU&feature=related[/youtube]

And finally collection of Valanciuans dunks in last U-18

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4jnJUhd4I8&feature=related[/youtube]

I prefer Karolis type of videos though since such tributes show only good plays. They still tell you about positive sides of course, but its better to see everything that comes in package (though Valanciunas was so dominant in last u-18 that there weren't all that many bad stuff about him).
karolis1221
Pro Prospect

Post#85 » by karolis1221 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 5:20 pm

Darknemo2000 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Speaking of those U-18 tournament stars, for those who have see both JV and Enes Kanter, which one do you prefer? Interesting that they were both born in May, 1992 - still just 18 years old.

Kanter didnt play in U-18 in Lithuania. So Valanciunas dominated the whole tournament and lithuania without loosing a single game became a champions (usually beating opponents by 20 point average).

Jonas stats -

Minutes -30,2, FG 70,0%, FT - 77,8%, Rebounds - 13,4, assists - 0,9, Steals - 0,6, TO - 2,0, Blocks - 2,7 PF - 2,2, Points - 19,4, EFF - 27,9.

Was a clear tournament MVP. In a way it was bit boring tournament as everyone knew that Lithuania are going to win (generation even without Valanciunas is strong and with Valanciunas they are unbeatable). In U-16 they won finals by 42 points difference, in U-18 'just' by 29 point difference.

As for from younger yyears - Kanter looked better but it was mostly before he started having knee problems which does slow him down a little. Another thing is that Valanciunas was playing in a competitive level for all that time while Kanter was without it.

Kanters stats from youth tournament were always superior to Valanciunas (though again both were totally dominant anyway), but you have to remember that for Turkey kanter was their main option while lithuania has/had such a strong generation that they dont have to run all their plays over Valanciunas like Turkey played over Kanter. Another thing is that Valanciunas is a team player and is unselfish so sometimes he would end with 10 points and 20 rebounds and be happy though he could have say 20 and 20.

Still based on those tournaments Kanter would be first option, but again thet happened a while ago and during that time Jonas was improving fast while Kanter didnt compete at a higher level and did not take part in U-18 so his current abilities are still at a question.

Right now would take Valanciunas over him.

Sure you would because you lithuanian:) but kanter is very questionable because of his knees sounds like Greg oden no one will risk so much with high pick...Kanter top 10-20 pick this year
karolis1221
Pro Prospect

Post#86 » by karolis1221 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 5:25 pm

Darknemo2000 wrote:Here is his vidoes from youth tournament. 2009 U-18 (Valanciunas wa splaying against older guys)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jvPl5-wRsE[/youtube]

And here is lIthuania last U-18 tribute (all teams but you can see a quite a few Valanciunas dunks, blocks etc)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiQtniUWDFU&feature=related[/youtube]

And finally collection of Valanciuans dunks in last U-18

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4jnJUhd4I8&feature=related[/youtube]

I prefer Karolis type of videos though since such tributes show only good plays. They still tell you about positive sides of course, but its better to see everything that comes in package (though Valanciunas was so dominant in last u-18 that there weren't all that many bad stuff about him).

these was last summer its useless because now hes much stronger and biger. now im cuting his dunks but im new at all movie montage if someone could assist me i have material with his plays...
Darknemo2000
Veteran

Post#87 » by Darknemo2000 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 6:00 pm

karolis1221 wrote:these was last summer its useless because now hes much stronger and biger. now im cuting his dunks but im new at all movie montage if someone could assist me i have material with his plays...

I wouldnt call them useless as you can still see how he plays and that did not go anywhere, he just became better and stronger physically now but the nice finishing around the rim is still there.

Last summer wasn't all that far away really.

Sure you would because you lithuanian:) but kanter is very questionable because of his knees sounds like Greg oden no one will risk so much with high pick...Kanter top 10-20 pick this year

Its not a matter of what nationality you are. If you would ask me the same question two years ago I would have said - Kanter is better, no questions.
karolis1221
Pro Prospect

Post#88 » by karolis1221 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 6:22 pm

Darknemo2000 wrote:
karolis1221 wrote:these was last summer its useless because now hes much stronger and biger. now im cuting his dunks but im new at all movie montage if someone could assist me i have material with his plays...

I wouldnt call them useless as you can still see how he plays and that did not go anywhere, he just became better and stronger physically now but the nice finishing around the rim is still there.

Last summer wasn't all that far away really.

Its not a matter of what nationality you are. If you would ask me the same question two years ago I would have said - Kanter is better, no questions.

maybe just because i seen that champ live its useless for me lol.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#89 » by erudite23 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 10:00 pm

Just as a point of interest...there is eventually going to be a draft where an international prospect comes out, is disregarded based upon the fact that he plays European ball, and falls much further than he should before subsequently turning into a superstar. This happened numerous times when international players were making their names in the early mid-90s. Guys like Peja, Vlade, and of course, the ultimate example, Dirk, all went later than they should have because personnel people doubted the Euros. Then the pendulum swung the other way and you had Skita, Maciej Lampe (though he fell out of the first round, but he was considered a top 6 guy leading into the draft), and of course, Darko. Ever since those 3 years when the Euro hype was out of control, there has been an under-valuation of guys from over-seas. A few have already been bargain-bought later in the draft and turned out to be quality players (Splitter, Beaubois) but with all the anti-Euro sentiment afloat, there's going to be a guy that is a legit stud who falls further than he should because of it. This year seems to have aligned the stars. But even if its not this year, it will happen eventually.
karolis1221
Pro Prospect

Post#90 » by karolis1221 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 11:07 pm

hope Jonas going to play at this year hoop sumit than we all going to see his game,
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#91 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 9, 2011 11:17 pm

I don't see it that way, erudite. Rubio was picked 5th, and who knows when he'll come to the NBA? Splitter is 26 and has not impressed me at all for SA. Beaubois is certainly a compelling talent, but he slipped because of questions about what's his position. Now, if the 2 guys we've been discussing - Jonny Valentine and Enes Kanter - don't go very high, then maybe you'll be on to something.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#92 » by erudite23 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:04 am

Its just a matter of time, based purely on probability. Rubio was talked about as a #1 overall pick for two years before declaring. He slipped all the way down to #5, in what was thought to be a weak draft at the time. Why? Only because he was a Euro. He got nitpicked to bits, which is what usually happens. Vesely and Motiejunas went back last year, and I think this is a big part of the reason why.

I think with what Valanciunas and Kanter have each shown, that they would have been squarely positioned as the top 2 picks in this draft if we were back in 2003. I think the skepticism we see has purely to do with the track record between 02 and 07 of top international prospects in the draft. Common sense tells you its just a matter of time until we see the next Euro superstar. Dirk came in 98, Manu came in 99, Pau came in 01, and we've seen a bit of a drought since then. Bargs is good, but maddening. Darko busted. Yi busted. Skita busted. Rubio is on hold. Its just a matter of time until the next big thing from Europe comes along. When it happens, all the anti-Euro sentiment will likely push him down the board. JV could very well be that guy. I mean look at the combination between the skill set and the productivity at the highest level at such a young age. 8 years ago people would be going crazy for this guy. As is, all people can do is talk about what he can't do. And he's 18 freaking years old.
crosswalkryan
Junior
And1: 0

Post#93 » by crosswalkryan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:38 pm

^^ I'm sorry but you're a tard. Rubio slipped to 5th because it was obvious that he would not be coming over for YEARS because of his euro contract and buyout limitations in the NBA. Had nothing to do with him "being a euro"
karolis1221
Pro Prospect

Post#94 » by karolis1221 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:50 pm

crosswalkryan wrote:^^ I'm sorry but you're a tard. Rubio slipped to 5th because it was obvious that he would not be coming over for YEARS because of his euro contract and buyout limitations in the NBA. Had nothing to do with him "being a euro"

point is that minessota was expecting him to come at same year they drafted him :lol: so they got busted hard. i think rubio just dont want to play there :)
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,839

Post#95 » by mcfly1204 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:59 pm

I think Rubio is worried about being exposed in the NBA. The kid has talent, but it will be very easy to view him as a disappointment with all the hype that has surrounded him.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,069

Post#96 » by sisibilio » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:12 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:I think Rubio is worried about being exposed in the NBA. The kid has talent, but it will be very easy to view him as a disappointment with all the hype that has surrounded him.

I'm sure every top pick have the same concern at one point or another, but if you're implying that's the reason why he stayed in spain these 2 years you couldn't be more wrong.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#97 » by Mattya » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:19 pm

karolis1221 wrote:
crosswalkryan wrote:^^ I'm sorry but you're a tard. Rubio slipped to 5th because it was obvious that he would not be coming over for YEARS because of his euro contract and buyout limitations in the NBA. Had nothing to do with him "being a euro"

point is that minessota was expecting him to come at same year they drafted him :lol: so they got busted hard. i think rubio just dont want to play there :)

This is false. Kahn stated multiple times that Rubio's contract would likely keep him in Europe for two years ever since they drafted him, he just worked an entire summer looking for options for him to come over. In the end it wasn't enough.
karolis1221
Pro Prospect

Post#98 » by karolis1221 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:29 pm

Mattya wrote:
karolis1221 wrote:

This is false. Kahn stated multiple times that Rubio's contract would likely keep him in Europe for two years ever since they drafted him, he just worked an entire summer looking for options for him to come over. In the end it wasn't enough.

The Timberwolves had an agreement in principle with his former Spanish team, DKV Joventut, to buy out his contract, but Rubio backed out of the deal.[4] On August 31, 2009, Joventut traded the rights to Rubio to FC Barcelona,[5] and Rubio signed a six-year contract with FC Barcelona the following day.[6]. Its from wiki looks like juventut fooled wolves. but maybe its false aswell dunnoi.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,839

Post#99 » by mcfly1204 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:34 pm

sisibilio wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:I think Rubio is worried about being exposed in the NBA. The kid has talent, but it will be very easy to view him as a disappointment with all the hype that has surrounded him.

I'm sure every top pick have the same concern at one point or another, but if you're implying that's the reason why he stayed in spain these 2 years you couldn't be more wrong.

He stayed in Spain because of his contract. However, if he really wanted to play in the NBA, I think something could have been worked out. Unless I missed reports of Rubio stating that he cannot wait to be playing in the NBA, I think he is perfectly comfortable where he is at.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#100 » by Mattya » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:13 pm

The thing that leaves out is Rubio would be playing for pennies since along with endorsements he would have to pay his own buyout.

Return to NBA Draft