Jonas Valanciunas

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Re: Jonas Valanciunas 

Post#61 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Mar 7, 2011 9:02 pm

I still haven't heard anything about JV that makes me think top 5 prospect, other than putting up good stats in Europe. Putting up good stats in Europe sounds a lot like putting up good stats in the NCAA. I don't care unless he's doing it because of a toolset that translates well to the NBA

Jonas is a 7 foot guy who's skinny and will be a middle ground NBA athlete at best and who has a raw offensive game. Defensively he's active but shows awareness problems leading to fouls.

How is that a top 5 prospect? Convince me he's going to be Joakim Noah cause I'm not seeing it. If he pans out I'm seeing a 7 foot Euro who does some things well and lasts in the the league on different teams for 10 years like Nenad Krstic, if he doesn't I see a skinny Euro who gets pushed around too much to rebound and fouls everyone and is a Thabeet like punchline

This reminds me so much of the Jordan Hill draft where he was pencilled in as a top 3-5 guy for the entire year and I couldn't figure out what he had going for him other than being a big man who plays hard. I'm not down on JV cause he's a Euro, I'm higher on Kanter and Vesely than most. I'm down on him cause being a 7 footer who plays hard isn't enough in the NBA
karolis1221
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Post#62 » by karolis1221 » Mon Mar 7, 2011 9:09 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:I still haven't heard anything about JV that makes me think top 5 prospect, other than putting up good stats in Europe. Putting up good stats in Europe sounds a lot like putting up good stats in the NCAA. I don't care unless he's doing it because of a toolset that translates well to the NBA

Jonas is a 7 foot guy who's skinny and will be a middle ground NBA athlete at best and who has a raw offensive game. Defensively he's active but shows awareness problems leading to fouls.

How is that a top 5 prospect? Convince me he's going to be Joakim Noah cause I'm not seeing it. I'm a 7 foot Euro who does some things well and lasts in the the league on different teams for 10 years like Nenad Krstic.

This reminds me so much of the Jordan Hill draft where he was pencilled in as a top 3-5 guy for the entire year and I couldn't figure out what he had going for him other than being a big man who plays hard. I'm not down on JV cause he's a Euro, I'm higher on Kanter and Vesely than most. I'm down on him cause being a 7 footer who plays hard isn't enough in the NBA

:) scouts are high on him,they say they didnt saw such a talent and potential in europe after pau gasol. Me thinks he is going to be gud material :)
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,070

Post#63 » by sisibilio » Mon Mar 7, 2011 9:28 pm

droponov wrote:
baulderdash77 wrote:I think in general that great players dominate every level they're in. If you're not playing in the NBA and you're not dominating then you're not going to magically become a star in the NBA.

If this guy is getting pushed around and fouling out in Europe, he's going to get pushed around and foul out in the NBA but worse.

I know he's productive while he's in the game, but those easy buckes won't be there for him in the NBA and guys will actually compete for the rebounds in the NBA.

Watching the clips (which is all we can do) of him, I don't see a skill or athleticism that's going to translate well into the NBA.

He's going to get eaten alive until he fills out. Also he's already 240 pounds. He has to gain what 30 pounds to be able to hold up in the NBA so he's not pushed around? He'll be slow as molassas so he'll still be fouling out like crazy. I don't see how he's projectible into anything more than a bench player or a fringe starter.

Pau Gasol? Gasol was much thinner than Valanciunas at the same age and was actually a bench filler when he was 19 years old (they aren't remotely similar players though). It's easier to be pushed around in Europe than in the NBA. I actually think Valanciunas is pretty strong and corpulent for his age.

Yep. Gasol in fact used to play quite some time as a SF in Barcelona.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Rapture
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#64 » by Rapture » Mon Mar 7, 2011 9:43 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:I still haven't heard anything about JV that makes me think top 5 prospect, other than putting up good stats in Europe. Putting up good stats in Europe sounds a lot like putting up good stats in the NCAA. I don't care unless he's doing it because of a toolset that translates well to the NBA

How is that a top 5 prospect? Convince me he's going to be Joakim Noah cause I'm not seeing it. If he pans out I'm seeing a 7 foot Euro who does some things well and lasts in the the league on different teams for 10 years like Nenad Krstic, if he doesn't I see a skinny Euro who gets pushed around too much to rebound and fouls everyone and is a Thabeet like punchline

You know that athleticism =/ jumping ability? To me Valanciunas seems to be a quite fluid athlete for a 18 year old 7 footer. He's not that explosive but he is quite quick and fluid. And yes he's skinny but if you looked at Joakim Noah when he was 18, wow this guy was a tooth pick. Noah was probably like 225 in his sophmore season.

I don't know i like what i'm seeing from Jonas. He plays tough and seems to be motivated and is quite fluid. I think it's pretty crazy that he's shooting +90% from the free throw line. There is already one skill that you will translate to NBA. He could probably develop a lethal mid-range jumper as well. I don't know if he has a motor like Noah but if he does i think he'll be pretty good. Or maybe I just really want the raps to get finally a true center that can play basketball and get too carried away, hehe. Irving or Val would be great, TJ and maybe Vesely/Barnes pretty good.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#65 » by erudite23 » Mon Mar 7, 2011 11:58 pm

1) He's an insanely good rebounder, especially on the offensive end. This has been proven to translate very well from the EL to the NBA. I believe he's the top rebounder in the EL in RR.

2) He is very fluid in the pick and roll for such a long, tall guy, and he has the ability to gather the ball quickly and move directly into his shooting motion.

3) He is an amazing finisher. The guy mostly takes shots around the rim, but he has displayed excellent touch and feel around the hoop, both in terms of finishing off a feed and in putting back ORebs.

4) He has special length. Right now he's right around 7 feet in shoes, but his arms are still abnormally long for his height. He should measure out with a 9'4" reach or better, which would put him in the top 1% of NBA players.

....and he's 18 years old. The guy hasn't shown the ability to be a deadly post up player, nor has he shown any type of offensive arsenal, but he has the natural touch and the work ethic that could produce such skills down the road. We're projecting development here, so its hard to say what might happen. But he shows the natural skill set to indicate that he can get there some time down the road. And even if he doesn't, he'll be a very good rebounder and defender who can finish easy shots around the hoop. That's not a bad consolation, and the upside is substantial.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#66 » by Grits n Gravy » Tue Mar 8, 2011 6:25 am

erudite23 wrote:

1) He's an insanely good rebounder, especially on the offensive end. This has been proven to translate very well from the EL to the NBA. I believe he's the top rebounder in the EL in RR.

2) He is very fluid in the pick and roll for such a long, tall guy, and he has the ability to gather the ball quickly and move directly into his shooting motion.

3) He is an amazing finisher. The guy mostly takes shots around the rim, but he has displayed excellent touch and feel around the hoop, both in terms of finishing off a feed and in putting back ORebs.

4) He has special length. Right now he's right around 7 feet in shoes, but his arms are still abnormally long for his height. He should measure out with a 9'4" reach or better, which would put him in the top 1% of NBA players.

....and he's 18 years old. The guy hasn't shown the ability to be a deadly post up player, nor has he shown any type of offensive arsenal, but he has the natural touch and the work ethic that could produce such skills down the road. We're projecting development here, so its hard to say what might happen. But he shows the natural skill set to indicate that he can get there some time down the road. And even if he doesn't, he'll be a very good rebounder and defender who can finish easy shots around the hoop. That's not a bad consolation, and the upside is substantial.

completely agree, can't believe the complete ignorance of some of these guys. 18 years old guys in america are playing against high schoolers, some midgets...this guy is playing against grown men in the best league outside the nba and more than holding his own. he's freaking been shooting 71% FROM THE FIELD AND 88.5% FROM THE LINE in 15 euroleague games, that is simply incredible for anyone let alone an 18 year old rookie. yes his foul rate is high but that is due simply to strength and experience..two things that age and training will cure. imo it would be wise for him to spend one or two more years overseas before coming over. as for guys being skinny entering the league? see - kevin garnett, dirk nowitzki, pau gasol, darko milicic, andrew bynum

i agree erudite, i would expect his wingspan to measure in at 9'4+ and wouldn't be suprised if he grew another inch...i think his defensive potential is outstanding and with time(bonus: stud point guard) will be a extremely good offensive player(worst case - very good pick and roll finisher). as bill walton once said, all a big man needs is a jump hook(go to move) and a counter move. i'm hoping the wolves grab him.
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#67 » by Darknemo2000 » Tue Mar 8, 2011 6:39 am

Well then you must obviously know about valanciunas more than each of those experts that visited the Lithuania in pasttwo years (Dallas, Knicks, Nets, Golden State etc.) scouts because as far as I know most of them were rather bewitched by what they have seen from Jonas.

You also must also know more than all the best coaches in Europe like Pesic, Obradovic and others who must be very blind to claim that Jonas will be an extraordinary talent if he keeps growing at the progression he is right now.

I am not dissing your personal opinion, but considering he is making a lots of big coaches named head in Euroleague turn and the scouts leave with their notes filled with much more pro's than contra's in their notes - you might think this guy actually might have quite a bit of telent in there, but again you must think they dont know a thing about basketball or get temporary vision problems for some weird reason.

Jonas isnt a dream but his athletism is ok (Kantas is worser jumper, as in vertical lift off, and slower and you just said you prefer him over Jonas while one of the main criticism you lay is his athleticism). His frame is also good ( a lot of players start with skinny farmes, I am not talking about Gasol who was playing as a SF at first, but I am talking about guys like Duncan or Howard who actually looked skinnier at this age).

Jonas best skill is his rebounding. In euroleague if he gets playing at least 20 minutes he usually goes near double double zone. And thats playing against adults (you can diss Euroleague all you want but
the fact is NCAA will never come even close to it by terms of competiteveness and skill needed).

Other good thing about him is his hands, he has a very good hands and fast reflexes which allows him to catch the ball very well, he even cancatch bad passes fluently and thats big thing for a Center/PF position guy to not waste those extra moments on trying to get a better hold ion the ball.

Jonas has high IQ. he can make right decisions very quickly and nows when he should push on and when to pass out. Because he was almost always doubled throughout his youth career he handles double teems very well and for a big guy shows that he actually can see the floor well.

Valanciunas has great work ethic. Thats one element you should never joke about. He is hard worker and always puts teammates first over himself. And he will be staying in the gym longer than others and this ensures that he keeps progressing rather than stop like it happened with quite a number of young talents who got their title glister get into their heads too much.

Jonas has tremendous wingspan and agility for a big guy.

His body. While he is technically just seven footer do not forget his too long for his height arms which helps to block shots of the small guards quit neatly because his reach is always longer than you expect.

Finishes well at the rim 70% FG at the Euroleague while being 18 year old? And its not like he scores only two or three points per game (7,7 per 14 minute PT), so he is efficient. More so because he has a very good FT % (nearly 89% in the Euroleague).

I am really not sure what it would take to convince you that Jonas is a very good player. He lacks selfishness of a superstar (always puts team results over his personal stats) but he is certainly a guy you would want to fill the center or PF spot in most of the cases as he never complains about the dirty work and never forces his shots just because he feels like he needs to score that 20 in a game.

Jonas also seems durable. Of course you just never know with those injuries bigs but at least he doesnt seem to have any knee problems like Kanter does.

Of course Valanciuans always has the 'euro' factor. Because as we all know so very well sometimes some good Euro prospects game just do not transit to the NBA as its still very different gamestyles and thinking, but even with that. For me he does seem like an around number 5 area sort of draftee.
brassviews
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#68 » by brassviews » Tue Mar 8, 2011 4:25 pm

He's doing pretty good for what he's expected of. In less than 20 minutes, he's averaging nearly a double double. Just imagine where this kid will be with a polished offensive game and more minutes.

Which ever team takes him, whether this year or next year, will have a great player to build around.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#69 » by Alfred » Tue Mar 8, 2011 4:48 pm

He has two aspects to his game that are basically locks for the NBA, legit size and coordination. He is very big and coordinated, and even if he's still learning the game, it makes sense why people would compare him to Gasol, although Gasol was significantly ahead in terms of offense at this point in his development.

Gasol could slash to the basket with a lethal first step that Valanciunas doesn't possess, but from what I've seen of him, Valanciunas does have the same sort of touch around the basket. He keeps the ball high after catching it, he has soft hands and he seems to be able to finish with contact, just like Gasol.

He also looks like he's going to be a full time 5 with his great rebounding, enormous length and finishing ability inside. I'm picturing a Noah/Gasol hybrid, which you simply can't pass up in a draft that is so lean on talent.
karolis1221
Pro Prospect

Post#70 » by karolis1221 » Tue Mar 8, 2011 5:14 pm

Alfred wrote:He has two aspects to his game that are basically locks for the NBA, legit size and coordination. He is very big and coordinated, and even if he's still learning the game, it makes sense why people would compare him to Gasol, although Gasol was significantly ahead in terms of offense at this point in his development.

Gasol could slash to the basket with a lethal first step that Valanciunas doesn't possess, but from what I've seen of him, Valanciunas does have the same sort of touch around the basket. He keeps the ball high after catching it, he has soft hands and he seems to be able to finish with contact, just like Gasol.

He also looks like he's going to be a full time 5 with his great rebounding, enormous length and finishing ability inside. I'm picturing a Noah/Gasol hybrid, which you simply can't pass up in a draft that is so lean on talent.

:bowdown:
Ducksplatt
Sixth Man
And1: 622

Post#71 » by Ducksplatt » Wed Mar 9, 2011 12:21 am

Quick Note
Jonas Valanciunas - 6'11 240 lbs at 18 years old

When drafted:
Dwight Howard - 6"11, 240 lbs at 18 years old
http://www.bulletsforever.com/2009/3/19 ... milarities
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein
xprt
Sixth Man
And1: 69

Post#72 » by xprt » Wed Mar 9, 2011 1:09 am

I don't know they seem both same at 18 years old.
Dr Mufasa wrote:I believe Jonas will be one of the biggest draft busts of all time.To me he's an unathletic Javale McGee.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#73 » by AQuintus » Wed Mar 9, 2011 5:03 am

Young Dwight clearly had (and has) a much wider frame than current Jonas (just look at their shoulders). Jonas will be able to add more muscle but not nearly as much as Dwight was able to.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#74 » by erudite23 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 6:29 am

Also, not sure where you got the numbers from, but Dwight measure at just over 6'10" when he went to the pre draft combine. Pretty sure he's grown since, but he was considered a hybrid 3/4 because of his lack of bulk and his fluidity. Very few ever imagined that Dwight would turn into a true-blue dominating center when he was 18.

Jonas clearly won't ever be an imposing physical presence like Dwight--if he had that frame to go with his length and productivity, I think he'd be the consensus #1 in this draft--but he has a pretty decent chance of being middle-of-the-pack bulk-wise, which should allow his insane length and defensive instincts to take over.

There is substantial risk here, but there is a ton to like about this kid. After Irving, its hard to see another guy in the draft that is more tempting. He's right there with Kanter, P Jones, Sullinger and Barnes fighting for the #2 in my book, and if I had to pick of all those guys right now, I think Jonas would be it.
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#75 » by Darknemo2000 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 6:55 am

AQuintus wrote:Young Dwight clearly had (and has) a much wider frame than current Jonas (just look at their shoulders). Jonas will be able to add more muscle but not nearly as much as Dwight was able to.

Yes but another things is that instead of being wider frame, Jonas frame is longer frame (because of his unnaturally for his frame long arms which lifts the shoulder line making the frame look more narrow on the shoulder part).

Still both has the same weight really and their farme differences do have their own pros and contras for their own reason. Jonas may seem more narrow but he is also longer and more stretched which will help him to compensate those few vertical lift-off lacks.
Smooth32
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by Smooth32 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 10:49 am

Honestly, Valanciunas seems like he could be a Marcin Gortat type player in the league which isn't a bad thing at all. It's a more of a compliment in my book.
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#77 » by boogie-reke » Wed Mar 9, 2011 10:59 am

The thing i'm impressed with the most about him, as minor as it sounds, is how he worked his way through childhood to be a 80-85% + freethrow shooter.

This shows this guy has the work-rate, knows he needs to get better and goes for it... I think this speaks volumes about this kid and how he'll pen out... cause when you see his intensity while playing, how he cares and how he wants to do good - those are the type of guys that always have the advantage....it also shows he can and will have a deadly midrange jumper - cause he's willing to put in the work, and has shown results in the FT line already.

Same with Cousins btw... always want to win, always cares... but Jonas compared to him is always looking to play with high intencity, unlike Demarcus who at times could seem like he don't care or don't try on the defensive end.

This kid will be huge, I have no doubt about it.. aslong as he stays healthy.
karolis1221
Pro Prospect

Post#78 » by karolis1221 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 11:22 am

Smooth32 wrote:Honestly, Valanciunas seems like he could be a Marcin Gortat type player in the league which isn't a bad thing at all. It's a more of a compliment in my book.

yeah i like gortats game. but at jonas age he had no offense at all while jonas already is excelent finisher at close range and downlow high% i seen him alot of times scoring in traffic and while he is younger than gortat its easier to learn new stuff and with good nba coach he can become a real treat in both ends. I hope he comes nba this year just to train with best.
karolis1221
Pro Prospect

Post#79 » by karolis1221 » Wed Mar 9, 2011 11:24 am

boogie-reke wrote:The thing i'm impressed with the most about him, as minor as it sounds, is how he worked his way through childhood to be a 80-85% + freethrow shooter.

This shows this guy has the work-rate, knows he needs to get better and goes for it... I think this speaks volumes about this kid and how he'll pen out... cause when you see his intensity while playing, how he cares and how he wants to do good - those are the type of guys that always have the advantage....it also shows he can and will have a deadly midrange jumper - cause he's willing to put in the work, and has shown results in the FT line already.

Same with Cousins btw... always want to win, always cares... but Jonas compared to him is always looking to play with high intencity, unlike Demarcus who at times could seem like he don't care or don't try on the defensive end.

This kid will be huge, I have no doubt about it.. aslong as he stays healthy.

in one interview he told that he is shooting 200 FTs everyday after training :)
LithuanianOne
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#80 » by LithuanianOne » Wed Mar 9, 2011 12:46 pm

There is much talk about his mid range jumper, but it wasn't mentioned that he actually has one. During one of the youth summer basketball tournaments ( I think it was U-18 in Lithuania) he took a few jumpers during the games and they ( the form, the realise) looked OK. He was able to shoot them because when he plays for these youth teams he is a big part of the offense. But when he plays for Lietuvos Rytas they don't ask him to shot jumpers, so he doesn't. I would love to see him given more freedom on offense when playing agains inferior competition - the team is going to win anyways, so why not let the kid take a few jumpers ?
knicksfan5494 wrote:ANd by NO means are Monroe and Cousins better than Fields. Wall probably, though.

Return to NBA Draft