Is Derrick Williams like Beasley?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Is Derrick Williams like Beasley? 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:03 am

I was trying to find a player comp for Williams I like. Is Beasley accurate?

About the same height, Beasley has more strength in his frame but doesn't use it. Both guys have more fluidity athleticism than explosiveness. Like Beas, Williams scores inside, out to the 3pt line, and finishes with both hands, at PF. Both are ridiculous college scorers as a result

Like Beas I think Williams will be a big SF at the next level. And maybe a better player, since I think Williams has a higher basketball IQ and energy level
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Re: Is Derrick Williams like Beasley? 

Post#2 » by gswhoops » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:00 am

I think it's a good comparison but Williams has a better IQ (basketball and otherwise) then Beasley. He's one of my favorite prospects this year.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Post#3 » by mattg » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:21 am

I don't like the comparison. Williams is a totally different type of scorer in the paint. Beasley was always soft and played like a perimeter guy. Williams is a man child in the post. I say it every time someone brings up Williams, but he is just awesome at using his body to shield the ball through contact and finish. I also think Williams uses his jumper more as a secondary offensive tool as opposed to Beasley who likes to totally rely on it.

All I'll say with regards to Beasley's college numbers is that putting any stock into them is sorta pointless. Anyone who watched him his frosh year could tell you he may be the emptiest stats guy ever on the NCAA level. His impact was soooooo far below what those monster numbers indicate. I've seen countless posters here bring those numbers into the discussion when trying to compare Beasley to guys like Durant and Griffin when they were in college for example, and honestly I find it laughable.

Offensively Williams reminds me of Amare more than anyone really if we're talking stylistically, assuming we're talking at the 4. I really dislike the prospect of him playing the 3 in the NBA, if you're planning on doing that, IMO you might as well not even draft him.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#4 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:35 am

I completely agree with mattg.

It terms of just "look", Beasley looks like a SF, whereas Williams looks like a PF, through and through.

I don't understand why people think he's a SF. I'm sure he could play the position in spurts, but he'll help a team out much more as a 4, where he can use his combination of strength, quickness, and athleticism to get by his defender, and create contact, which is what he does best.

I feel like, as a SF, he'll be matched up against guys who are quicker than him, and it'll show particularly on the defensive end. Even though he's small as a 4, he has a nice combination of strength and length to push guys out of the paint.

A more athletic David West is who I'd compare him to.

Just like West, he's not a great rebounder, isn't quite as adept in the post yet, but has the exact same in-between game that West possesses.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#5 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:48 am

mattg wrote:I don't like the comparison. Williams is a totally different type of scorer in the paint. Beasley was always soft and played like a perimeter guy. Williams is a man child in the post. I say it every time someone brings up Williams, but he is just awesome at using his body to shield the ball through contact and finish. I also think Williams uses his jumper more as a secondary offensive tool as opposed to Beasley who likes to totally rely on it.

Well if I recall, Beasley played a lot in the post in college and was projected to take that to the NBA as a true PF with his frame. But I wasn't watching him night in and night out and was probably blinded by him putting up a 26 and 12 53% and all the hype that brought
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#6 » by phx#7 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:15 am

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:A more athletic David West is who I'd compare him to.

Exactly how I feel.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#7 » by TB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:19 am

size, athleticism, and fluidity are closer to Beasley.

Style of play is a blend of West, young Jamison, Amare.

Not sure where that puts him as an NBA player... If his size is adequate enough to play PF, he is going to be alot better than if he plays further from the basket like Beasley and Jamison tend to do frequently.

This kid needs to play some PnR in my opinion. Jamison and Beasley have always been more iso type players (probably due to circumstance), while West and Amare have feasted off of positioning, PnR sets, and being assisted by their PG. Hopefully Williams isn't drafted into a system that constantly iso's him like he's Melo or Maggette.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 am

Good call, TB. The first thing I thought when watching him is that he's going to be almost impossible to stop in PnR situations. And I concur with the comparisons you made. I think he measures in at 6'9 240 - on the small side for PF - but long enough and strong enough to play the position at both ends.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#9 » by Alfred » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:04 pm

He reminds me of Marion a bit.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#10 » by TucsonClip » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:13 pm

Beasley isnt a good comparison.

Hes a young Jamison mixed with Millsap. Obviously, he lacks the Jamison's perimeter skills and Millsap's rebounding, but mix them together and you have a good idea of what he looks like.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
Point-God
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#11 » by Point-God » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:35 pm

Beasley was far more talented. It's not even close. Williams is a suspect rebounder while Beasley was a strong rebounder as an NBA prospect. Derrick Williams may become something like Chris Gatling or Troy Murphy in the NBA.
ThreeYearPlan
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#12 » by ThreeYearPlan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:35 am

Does nobody else see Rudy Gay?
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#13 » by TucsonClip » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:52 am

ThreeYearPlan wrote:Does nobody else see Rudy Gay?

A post up game
Takes good shots
Excels against contact

Nope, not at all
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
JustCame
Assistant Coach
And1: 505

Post#14 » by JustCame » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:30 pm

phx#7 wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:A more athletic David West is who I'd compare him to.

Exactly how I feel.
BBen
Starter

Post#15 » by BBen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:35 pm

Beasley had more arrogance and confidence to his game and I felt like he had to totally re-build himself when he came to the NBA in order to be mildly successful. Williams is just a bust with great collegiate offensive talent.
RipCityBlazer
Sophomore

Post#16 » by RipCityBlazer » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:04 am

mattg wrote:I don't like the comparison. Williams is a totally different type of scorer in the paint. Beasley was always soft and played like a perimeter guy. Williams is a man child in the post.

+1 Williams has an effective and strong inside game, I'm still holding back judgment until i see him in the tourney against larger defenders. Sullinger vs Williams is what i have in mind. Beasley has a better jumper and dunking ability. I can see the similarities though but they both have their own unique skills that stand out.
UCLA Bruins Portland Trailblazers SD Chargers
ballislife
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,005

Post#17 » by ballislife » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:51 am

Would he be able to guard the SF position at the next level? What would he be more effective guarding... the SF or the PF?
Point-God
Banned User

Post#18 » by Point-God » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:41 pm

People like to focus on similar prospects that went on to have success in the NBA, well I want to list two prospects that haven't found success in the NBA.
1. Rodney White
2. Dajuan Summers
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#19 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:11 pm

Point-God wrote:People like to focus on similar prospects that went on to have success in the NBA, well I want to list two prospects that haven't found success in the NBA.
1. Rodney White
2. Dajuan Summers

At least give reason for comparing them. Summers is an awful comparison. He was just an okay college player, and he didn't have close to the mobility inside that Williams has. White was one of the most inconsistent and lazy players I've seen, but still scored about 16 points a game in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Point-God
Banned User

Post#20 » by Point-God » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:27 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Point-God wrote:People like to focus on similar prospects that went on to have success in the NBA, well I want to list two prospects that haven't found success in the NBA.
1. Rodney White
2. Dajuan Summers

At least give reason for comparing them. Summers is an awful comparison. He was just an okay college player, and he didn't have close to the mobility inside that Williams has. White was one of the most inconsistent and lazy players I've seen, but still scored about 16 points a game in the NBA.

You clearly have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Rodney White 16 ppg in the NBA? :lol:
He had a career average of 7.1 ppg and his highest season average was 9.0 ppg. If you had any credibility you flushed it down the toilet.

Return to NBA Draft