Perry Jones III will not declare.

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

umopapisdn
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Perry Jones III will not declare. 

Post#21 » by umopapisdn » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:51 am

DanTown8587 wrote:Last time a potential top 10 pick from the Big 12 returned to college, Blake Griffin did alright. And Perry Jones has that potential to be a franchise changing player. he isn't one now but neither was Griffin his FR year.

yeah, it really worked out for willie warren
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#22 » by tidho » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:42 pm

This could likely cost him draft position and a lot of money right away. Long term I think its good for his game though. Everyone knows the guy is a complete project, its better to get another year under his belt in college. He'll be a much better player for it next year.

Of courseit still stinks when any of the top guys drop out of this draft.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,731

Post#23 » by gswhoops » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:25 pm

Weakest draft since 2000.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#24 » by Cammo101 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:32 pm

umopapisdn wrote:
DanTown8587 wrote:Last time a potential top 10 pick from the Big 12 returned to college, Blake Griffin did alright. And Perry Jones has that potential to be a franchise changing player. he isn't one now but neither was Griffin his FR year.

yeah, it really worked out for willie warren

Chris Marcus was a high upside guy who returned to school for another year. Now he is bagging groceries somewhere.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#25 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:55 pm

gswhoops wrote:Weakest draft since 2000.

I still think it's above average. For me I have it as:

Irving, Williams, Kanter - awesome near can't miss prospects
Knight, Burks, Vesely, Biyombo - Great tools, talent to be starters and upside to all-stars
Tristan Thompson, the Morris twins - Good PFs, hard to find
Jimmer, T Jones, Hamilton - All steals if they fall out of the lotto
Kemba, Valanciunas - I'm out on them but they can find a place in the league and at least are name prospects
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#26 » by Jazzfan12 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:14 pm

When you're talking about taking a guy who hasn't played basketball in 2.5 years 3rd and taking a guy who's only played basketball for 1.5 years 7th, I'm not sure you can call that above average.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 973

Post#27 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Weakest draft since 2000.

I still think it's above average. For me I have it as:

Irving, Williams, Kanter - awesome near can't miss prospects
Knight, Burks, Vesely, Biyombo - Great tools, talent to be starters and upside to all-stars
Tristan Thompson, the Morris twins - Good PFs, hard to find
Jimmer, T Jones, Hamilton - All steals if they fall out of the lotto
Kemba, Valanciunas - I'm out on them but they can find a place in the league and at least are name prospects

Kanter belongs in the 2nd tier of guys you consider great tools to be starters. Biyombo,Thompson and Morris twins belong in "steals outside the lotto" department. So actually looking at it overall, you got 2 Franchise guys, followed up with 4 impact guys(All Stars at best). Everybody else isn't worth a lotto unless they develop into one worthy of being one.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#28 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Well teams rolling the dice on bigs is nothing new, good draft or not. I mean you could easily say any draft where Jordan Hill and Thabeet were projected top 5 all year can't be an above average draft. Ekpe Udoh went 6 last year, Yi went 6 in 07. Even extending it to non bigs, you can say Wes Johnson at 4, must be a crap draft. Not every prospect is a home run, but especially in bigs cases there's going to be more flawed guys taken high just because getting a good big is harder than a good wing. I happen to like Kanter more than any of the bigs I listed though, if all the writing about his above average skill level is false the scouts will see it, but I don't expect it's false. He sounds like Monroe with Horford's frame
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Thabeet and Hill both went at respectable spots IMO. Thabeet was a bit rawer than expected, but I think he needs an All Time great to work with him, like Ewing did Dwight. The 09 draft overall looked like a good draft period though. Griffin went #1 and was followed by guys like Steph Curry, Tyreke Evans, James Harden, Derozan, strong PG's(4 of which are starters and one should start). not to mention some of the second round guys who had alot of hype in college like Dejuan Blair, Jodie Meeks, and Marcus Thornton.

2010 had 2 overrated players in Wes and Turner. That draft had more potential than this one though. I think Kanter will be a good Center no doubt.
ERRDAY3
Senior
And1: 3

Post#30 » by ERRDAY3 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:53 pm

didn't Kanter play high school ball last year
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#31 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:04 pm

At the time the 09 draft was declared one of the worst ever, ftr
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:27 pm

So you didn't think guys like Curry, Griffin, Evans, Derozan, Jodie Meeks, Thabeet,Jrue Holiday, Jeff Teague, Ty Lawson, Chase Budinger, and many others wasn't quality before they were drafted??
Canomad
Banned User
And1: 69

Post#33 » by Canomad » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:44 am

as skeptical as i was about this kids drive, this move leads me tho maybe think otherwise. i think it shows that he knows that he needs to get better and he isnt ready. which IMO means hes focused on improving in many areas of his game. the only thing i dont like about the choice is that his mom is sick. gotta wish her well.

Return to NBA Draft