Markieff Morris or Tristan Thompson for the Pistons at 8th??

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Kirsten19
Banned User
And1: 0

Markieff Morris or Tristan Thompson for the Pistons at 8th?? 

Post#1 » by Kirsten19 » Wed May 18, 2011 7:09 am

I think Markieff Morris is an underrated talent. Every mock has Markus Morris picked higher, but imo, Markieff is not a tweener and he is a solid post player.

Markieff Morris has good offensively skill set, good size and is a decent rebounder and post defender. Certainly the pistons need someone more athletic, but i think Markieff Morris kinda meet the Pistons' need. 6'10", 245lb with good FG% and even 3pt% for a big, decent rebound numbers and is a post presence. I dont think he'll be anything more than a role player, but looks like he's a good complement next to Greg Monroe

Never a fan of Tristan Thompson. His stock is rising only because this is a weak draft and he is very athletic. Being athletic alone shouldnt be a reason why he should be there at 8th, he doesnt have Biyombo's length, freakish athleticism and defensive potential to make him that high in the draft.Tristan Thompson is just 6'8", not sure if thats the pistons need when they've already had Maxiell and Ben Wallace in their roster

I assume Biyombo will be gone by 8th and Valanciunas' stock will keep falling due to the buyout terms in his contract.

So who'll be a better option for the pistons at 8th??
Point-God
Banned User
And1: 8

Re: Markieff Morris or Tristan Thompson for the Pistons at 8th?? 

Post#2 » by Point-God » Wed May 18, 2011 8:43 am

Triston Thompson actually has more wingspan than Markieff Morris and will most likely have a superior standing reach.
Canomad
Banned User
And1: 69

Post#3 » by Canomad » Wed May 18, 2011 8:54 am

id take the best morris player. markus.
Kirsten19
Banned User

Post#4 » by Kirsten19 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:00 am

Pistons definitely do not need another tweener.

Markus will have trouble scoring inside, he'll be a stretch 4 and the Pistons already have a few. He isnt long enough as well, so he may find it easy to defend inside. His natural position should be at the 3

Was reading this earlier :http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/david_aldridge/05/02/big-board-power-forwards/index.html

"The Morris twins, Markieff and Marcus, are among the older (21) college prospects coming out, with three years at Kansas under their belts. The Morrises led Kansas to the Elite Eight and showed marked maturity in their junior season, and are compared favorably with another set of twins who made it in the NBA: Robin and Brook Lopez. Markieff is the slightly bigger twin who, like Robin Lopez, is expected to be a better defender and rebounder. Marcus is the better scorer, like Brook.

Said a Southwest Division executive: "When they came into college, Marcus was the clear favorite. I think it's more equal now.""

The Pistons need a good post defender/rebounder to complement Greg Monroe, who's their future. Markieff can also score from the outside, his size and skill set kinda remind me of Rasheed Wallace
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#5 » by princeofpalace » Wed May 18, 2011 11:44 am

Point-God wrote:Triston Thompson actually has more wingspan than Markieff Morris and will most likely have a superior standing reach.

This all day. Also, people really need to wait on actual measurements at draft camp. I thought everyone knew that college measurements don't mean jack....
harithak47
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#6 » by harithak47 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Tristan for sure.
The Marcus and Kieff both have relatively short wing spans for their size.
They do make up for that a little with their length but Marcus to me looks like a 3/4 tweener type player.
Kief is a little taller but still a tweener.
Marcus is a much better scorer than Kieff but Kieff is a better rebounder and defender.
Id take Tristan over either though. He has a true position and more upside.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#7 » by Liqourish » Wed May 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Neither, please.
Point-God
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#8 » by Point-God » Wed May 18, 2011 5:21 pm

The Pistons don't have any valuable playmakers that matter. They might be better off drafting someone that can create offense for others like Alec Burks.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#9 » by Ruzious » Wed May 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Tristan probably has a little more potential, but Kieff has 3 point range and - right now - Thompson is miles away from being a useful offensive player. Kieff ain't a sexy pick, but you know you'll get defensive rebounding and a stretch the defense shooter with him. You get potential with Thompson. If you have a lot of patience, go with Thompson. Otherwise, go with Kieff.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BasedWiseman
Junior
And1: 21

Post#10 » by BasedWiseman » Wed May 18, 2011 8:39 pm

Point-God wrote:The Pistons don't have any valuable playmakers that matter. They might be better off drafting someone that can create offense for others like Alec Burks.

I like you.

lets ****.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#11 » by Dr Positivity » Wed May 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Tristan's 7'2 wingspan means he will play much bigger at PF than his 6'8 size would suggest. Al Horford hsa a 7'1 wingspan and he logs C minutes. TT if anything will be able to play C IMO.

I like Markieff but I think his more inside game compared to Marcus is a bad thing, not a good one. When you're Morris twin size you want to play on the perimeter. You're not posting up NBA PFs.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#12 » by KF10 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:43 pm

I say Thompson. He and Monroe are a very nice building blocks for their team. I think both of them compliment each other very well. The thing I like both of these guys is that they are proficient moving without the ball and are hard workers.

*Monroe receives post-entry pass*
*Monroe backs down opponent*
*Monroe finds a cutting Thompson*
*Monroe lobs the pass towards Thompson*
*Thompson kills rim*
*Everyone in the Palace goes crazy!*

Also, Thompson is a good defender to boot! To me, I wouldn't even consider Markieff if T. Thompson is there for the Pistons.
Kirsten19
Banned User

Post#13 » by Kirsten19 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:50 am

Tristan Thompson is a poor defensive rebounder though

Thompson was measured 6'8.5" in shoes last year(2010) in the Nike Hoop Summit workout. The numbers on Tristan Thompson will be of particular interest. Some scouts believe he will come in at least an inch taller than that at the Chicago Draft Combine (source: http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/tru ... 10518.html)

He certainly doesnt look like 6'8" to me. if he's a 6'9"/6'10", his stock will rise, thats a legit size for a NBA PF. The thing is, do you believe he can grow 0.5 -1.5 inches in just a year and 3 months
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#14 » by Relentless88 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:31 am

TT and Monroe would be a nice young front court for the Pistons to build around. I think TT will become a really good NBA player.
Kirsten19
Banned User

Post#15 » by Kirsten19 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:44 am

How do u guys compare Biyombo to Tristan Thompson????

I think Biyombo is the better defensive rebounder among the two, is longer, more athletic and has a very good shotblocking/rebounding record in ACB, possibly the 2nd best league in the world.

Biyombo actually leads the ACB in blocks and is among the top 5 in rebounding per 40min. That looks very promising for a 18 year old.

6'8" and 7'2" wingspan..........thats ok, but the Pistons already have Maxiell who's 6'7" and has a 7'3" wingspan. Doubt they need another undersized big. I think any big who's under 6'9" are not very welcomed there in Detroit
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#16 » by Piston Pete » Thu May 19, 2011 3:04 pm

Kirsten19 wrote:How do u guys compare Biyombo to Tristan Thompson????

I think Biyombo is the better defensive rebounder among the two, is longer, more athletic and has a very good shotblocking/rebounding record in ACB, possibly the 2nd best league in the world.

Biyombo actually leads the ACB in blocks and is among the top 5 in rebounding per 40min. That looks very promising for a 18 year old.

6'8" and 7'2" wingspan..........thats ok, but the Pistons already have Maxiell who's 6'7" and has a 7'3" wingspan. Doubt they need another undersized big. I think any big who's under 6'9" are not very welcomed there in Detroit

Plus Biyombo is 6'8" with a 7'7" wingspan.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#17 » by ManualRam » Thu May 19, 2011 4:15 pm

in order: biyombo, leonard, markieff, thompson
Kirsten19
Banned User

Post#18 » by Kirsten19 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Piston Pete wrote:

Biyombo is 6'9"
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#19 » by ManualRam » Thu May 19, 2011 7:03 pm

Kirsten19 wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:

Biyombo is 6'9"

6'8 or 6'9, doesnt matter. all you need to be concerned about is the 7'7
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#20 » by princeofpalace » Thu May 19, 2011 9:01 pm

Maxiel is 6'6, Tristan Thompson is 6'7.5 barefoot and 6'9 in shoes with a 7'2 wingspan''. Once again, there is no comparison to be made between them.

Return to NBA Draft