Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,463

Why is there no love for Miles Plumlee? 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:30 pm

- Legit C size. Good athleticism. Can really get lift for a big man
- One of the best rebounders in college (13.4 per 40) despite playing beside Mason
- Efficient scorer, 61% 2P and .62 TS%
- Not horrible blk numbers (1.8 per 40)
- Comes from a winning program and 4 years of the school of Coach K

He's nothing spectacular but shouldn't a PF/C with good physical tools, excellent rebound numbers and a high basketball IQ get 1st round consideration? I mean right now he's projected to go undrafted.

Yes it took him until his senior year to be something but he wouldn't be the only one
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Why is there no love for Miles Plumlee? 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:08 pm

he does have some good physical attributes. good enough to be drafted late 2nd, but not 1st round. i think his toughness gets overlooked because he's a dookie...among other things.
i like how he got physically stronger and tougher, but why did his skill go the other direction? i also wouldnt classify him as a high IQ player, even though after 4 yrs under coach k you would assume that. i think he's more of an energy player who commits some bad, untimely fouls and has a tendency to be a foul magnet.
i think it's more likely he goes undrafted and makes a team out of training camp as a 3rd C who'll set screens, mix it up on the glass and defend the post, but wont be much of a last line of defense. maybe a zaza pachulia type at best.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 968

Post#3 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:49 pm

ManualRam wrote:he does have some good physical attributes. good enough to be drafted late 2nd, but not 1st round. i think his toughness gets overlooked because he's a dookie...among other things.
i like how he got physically stronger and tougher, but why did his skill go the other direction? i also wouldnt classify him as a high IQ player, even though after 4 yrs under coach k you would assume that. i think he's more of an energy player who commits some bad, untimely fouls and has a tendency to be a foul magnet.
i think it's more likely he goes undrafted and makes a team out of training camp as a 3rd C who'll set screens, mix it up on the glass and defend the post, but wont be much of a last line of defense. maybe a zaza pachulia type at best.

An athletic Zaza is starters material to me..
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#4 » by Eoghan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:45 pm

b/c he sucks. He doesn't have any particular skills other than being big and somewhat mobile. He's by far the least talented of the Plumlee brothers.
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#5 » by fredericklove » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:11 am

^ Agree. He's garbage.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#6 » by ManualRam » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:20 am

BrotherDave wrote:b/c he sucks. He doesn't have any particular skills other than being big and somewhat mobile. He's by far the least talented of the Plumlee brothers.

players can survive in the league having C size, physicality and good athleticism which miles does have.
even if he is the least talented plumlee brother, he's still athletic and is the only brother who has the length and girth to be an NBA C.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,463

Post#7 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:25 am

He shot 61% from 2P which is one of the best in the class. It would seem he has some sort of touch (not that he needs to be more than a clean up basket guy offensively)
MalReyn
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#8 » by MalReyn » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:17 pm

He has a lot of good tools, plays smart, and is a guy you want at practice. But he has very limited upside (I'd say he's pretty much peaked already) and is hardly dominating at the college level. Against the bigger and stronger players in the NBA, he'll really struggle to rebound and defend.

I expect him to be undrafted but stick in the NBA for a bit anyway as a 3rd-string center somewhere. Not a glamorous job, but he'll provide size in an emergency, not screw things up, and otherwise be a consummate team player.

The problem is in the draft you don't pick players who you hope will be 3rd-string centers. Those are the guys you pick up in free agency, because there are a ton of them. And that's what will happen to Miles. He has a good head on his shoulders though, so I do think he has an excellent chance of making a team.
gensu3k1
Senior
And1: 2

Post#9 » by gensu3k1 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:32 pm

it's really strange, many times he looked better than Mason to me. His athleticism is really underrated. I think he's an ok second round pick.
Zach Randolph + Kevin Durant >>>>>>> Greg Oden. Bob Whitsitt>>>>>> Kevin Pritchard.
"Jan Vesely, this guy can really shoot it." --Jay Bilas, 2011
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#10 » by noobcake » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:54 pm

As a Duke fan.

Let me tell you, Miles Plumlee is not an NBA player.

He has NO offensive game. The only thing he can do is dunk and finish lobs. He is efficient because he only takes easy shots.
Yes, he has legit size but he can't block shots worth a damn. I don't even know he has 1.8 per 40.
He is a decent rebounder; this one aspect might entice some team into selecting him in the second round.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#11 » by jman3134 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:31 pm

I think Zaza is infinitely more skilled than Miles Plumlee, but I can see the comparison from a help defense perspective. Everyone pretty much provided accurate accounts as to why it is unlikely that he will be drafted. His post game is virtually non existent with the exception of a baby hook, which he uses pretty much all the time. He is a very good athlete with an NBA body and ridiculous body fat %. Miles is essentially a gym rat who is able to provide energy on the glass and finish plays. He worked on his shooting last offseason, but nothing really came of it in game-time scenarios. On the defensive end, Miles can body up with players in the post and does a good job of contesting when he decides to try to draw a charge. With that said, he does not move his feet well and picks up silly fouls as ManualRam said earlier. Has some room for growth on the offensive glass and on his perimeter jumper. I would be surprised if he made it though.

He's hoping to become Shavlik Randolph, although Randolph had more skill.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#12 » by noobcake » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:54 pm

The only way Miles could make the NBA is for him to bulk up to Aaron Gray level, while maintaining his conditioning and athleticism. Become a big tub of lard on the defensive end.

Team can use him to body up smaller PF/C replying on athleticism alone.
Gram
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#13 » by Gram » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:33 am

For good reason. The guy simply isn't a hot shot. Would be lucky to be drafted.
travisjordan
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#14 » by travisjordan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:46 pm

Michael Olawakandi had legit Center size too...how'd that work out. Other than a couple of exceptions (Brand & Boozer), Duke bigs do not perform up to an NBA level. Having watched a number of ACC games over the last several years I can tell you Miles has zero chance of getting drafted. Nothing against him, he's just not very good. If he wants to continue playing he could possibly catch on overseas, just depends on what he wants to do.
Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,200

Post#15 » by Bank Shot » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:20 pm

noobcake wrote:As a Duke fan.

Let me tell you, Miles Plumlee is not an NBA player.

He has NO offensive game. The only thing he can do is dunk and finish lobs. He is efficient because he only takes easy shots.
Yes, he has legit size but he can't block shots worth a damn. I don't even know he has 1.8 per 40.
He is a decent rebounder; this one aspect might entice some team into selecting him in the second round.

I came in here, as a Duke fan, to write the phrases "He's not an NBA player" haha. He's one of those guys that looks good in college but watching him you just know that he's not doing anything in NBA. His stats aren't anything crazy. He's a rebounder and that's it. His stats are actually worse than Zoubek's (who was an awesome O-rebounder) who didn't sniff the league. Obviously Miles is a better athlete but Z was a lot bigger.

I'd be pretty surprised if he went second round. He just has zero upside and since most teams gamble on upside in the 2nd I don't see anyone biting. I like Miles but if Duke had anyone else upfront this year besides him and Mason, he would have barely played.
Cobra Kai Dojo
Sophomore
And1: 18

Why is there no love for Miles Plumlee? 

Post#16 » by Cobra Kai Dojo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:19 pm

Some team will probably take a chance on him in the second, but to me he's just a big body. Having watched most duke games this year, it's pretty clear he's not a NBA player, decent athlete but not anywhere close to NBA level, least upside of all the Plumlees.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#17 » by ManualRam » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Cobra Kai Dojo wrote:Some team will probably take a chance on him in the second, but to me he's just a big body. Having watched most duke games this year, it's pretty clear he's not a NBA player, decent athlete but not anywhere close to NBA level, least upside of all the Plumlees.

he is most definitely an NBA level athlete. all the plumlees are very good athletes. miles is the only plumlee brother with the mass, length and strength to play C.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#18 » by jman3134 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:58 pm

Yes, he has NBA level athleticism, but he does not ever seem to use it properly in game scenarios. He can jump out of the gym, but rarely do you see him dunking over anyone. Miles Plumlee just doesn't have the basketball talent to succeed at the NBA level.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#19 » by Eoghan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:24 pm

He has NBA athleticism like Adam Keefe had NBA athleticism.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#20 » by ManualRam » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:35 pm

BrotherDave wrote:He has NBA athleticism like Adam Keefe had NBA athleticism.

miles is more athletic. and if you're comparing his level of athleticism to that of an 8 yr NBA player, that bodes well for miles.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo

Return to NBA Draft