yardbarker

NCAA Wiretap Headlines

2013 Sleepers

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Blame Rasho, jman3134

Post#61 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:07 pm by Fischella

Pistons' targets should be Poythress and Mitchell, top dogs, way above Slomo.
Fischella





Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,072
And1: 447
Joined: Feb 11, 2012
Top

Post#62 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:39 pm by joseph mamah

yeah i like Poythress but theres a good chance he'll be going top 5/6 and i dont think the pistons will be picking that high. I couldnt really find any tape of Mitchell but from what ive read it sounds like hes sort of a tweener. With Brandon Knight not really being a true point i was thinking Andersons playmaking would be a nice fit, but he does look slow.
joseph mamah
Sixth Man
User avatar
Posts: 1,951
And1: 135
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
Top

Post#63 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:13 pm by ManualRam

has anyone seen enough of josh scott (colorado frosh) to comment on his game?
i havent, but what i've read sounds intriguing.
he's about 6'10 220. runs the floor well. is fundamentally sound. more of a face up big with good mobility, but can work out of the post and turn over either shoulder. can use both hands to finish. good passer.
i remember reading about him outplaying isaiah austin when they matched up last yr, but there isnt much footage on him. colorado isnt a huge basketball state and he didnt play for a powerful AAU squad, so i never followed up.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam



RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 22,760
And1: 2,248
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
Top

Post#64 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:10 pm by TayP

Who are the best pure shooters in this draft?
TayP
Junior
Posts: 447
And1: 0
Joined: Feb 5, 2012
Top

Post#65 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:49 pm by teamjosh04

Good spot up/two dribble guys...

Reggie Bullock
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
CJ Wilcox

Good off the dribble guys...

Isaiah Canaan
Kenny Boynton
teamjosh04
Senior
Posts: 653
And1: 2
Joined: Jun 8, 2008
Location: http://nbaprospects.blogspot.com/
Top

Post#66 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:04 pm by ManualRam

TayP wrote:Who are the best pure shooters in this draft?


depends who declares, but there arent many.

alex abrines (int'l)
cj wilcox (jr)
allen crabbe (jr)
sean kilpatrick (jr). imo, he's more streaky than pure.
dre hollins (soph)

not sure i would call caldwell-pope a pure shooter. pure shooters usually have pretty good shot selection. his is terrible.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam



RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 22,760
And1: 2,248
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
Top

Post#67 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:32 pm by JohnnyKILLroy

Bullock and Hairston are good shooters.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
JohnnyKILLroy




Head Coach
User avatar
Posts: 7,197
And1: 1,393
Joined: Jun 17, 2008
Location: Fountain Valley- A nice place to live
Top

Post#68 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:26 pm by jman3134

ManualRam wrote:the 2013 mocks have been out and so far it looks like a poor draft. the talent up top is good on first glance, but delving even deeper the star potential isnt that much better than 2012, if at all.
there is some potential there, but the touted prospects up top have a ton of work to do on their games.
unlike this past draft, the depth doesnt look good either. for that reason i think there are bunch of names who arent currently listed in the more popular mocks who might enter whether they're ready or not.
here are a few players i got my eye on this upcoming season who have first round potential.

Sophomores:

khem birch-6'9 210-PF: he'll have to sit out the first semester, but if he put in the work physically, he should be able to hit the ground running once he's eligible. he's long, bouncy, active with soft touch around the rim. he'll also be playing in a system at UNLV that is better suited for his strengths, where he'll be able to get up and down the court and just be active.

dez wells-6'5 220-G/F: one of 2 musketeers who i believe have first round potential. he wasnt as heralded as some of his other fellow Word of God alumni, but he's very talented and in a position to be productive with holloway and lyons gone. he's a powerfully built wing with an attacking style. has great body strength and athleticism and will try to dunk on anybody. needs to work on his jumper, but he showed progress last yr, shooting 38% from 3 in low volume.

hunter mickelson-6'10 236-PF: a little bit of a long shot given how raw he is, but hes a toolsy late bloomer. runs the floor well, has good hands and will be one of the best shot-blockers in the SEC.

andre hollins-6'2 200-PG/G: quick, long, athletic combo who plays the point for minnesota. has deep range with a quick release. he's more of a scorer than a point, but i think his combination of size, athleticism and and 3 pt range is intriguing.

rakeem christmas-6'9 230-PF: highly touted out of HS, but didnt show much at all last season. dajuan coleman is coming to 'cuse and will be the post presence there, but on the other end of the court, christmas might have to be the anchor of the 2-3 because of his mobility, length and explosiveness. overall he has a poor feel for the game and a low skill level, but he's long and explosive.

jarnell stokes-6'8 250-PF: out of all the kids on the US U18 squad, this kid surprised me the most. he is such a house on the block. he's an immovable force, who displays great touch, patience and footwork down low. he's not the greatest athlete but is wise beyond his yrs and really knows how to use his lower body for leverage.

i'll get to possible one-and-doners a little later.


Well, one of your predictions went down yesterday. He also is not a legit 6'5. Dez Wells was expelled from Xavier for sexual misconduct. http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... uct-code/1
jman3134

Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 17,684
And1: 98
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Top

Post#69 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:54 pm by ManualRam

jman3134 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:the 2013 mocks have been out and so far it looks like a poor draft. the talent up top is good on first glance, but delving even deeper the star potential isnt that much better than 2012, if at all.
there is some potential there, but the touted prospects up top have a ton of work to do on their games.
unlike this past draft, the depth doesnt look good either. for that reason i think there are bunch of names who arent currently listed in the more popular mocks who might enter whether they're ready or not.
here are a few players i got my eye on this upcoming season who have first round potential.

Sophomores:

khem birch-6'9 210-PF: he'll have to sit out the first semester, but if he put in the work physically, he should be able to hit the ground running once he's eligible. he's long, bouncy, active with soft touch around the rim. he'll also be playing in a system at UNLV that is better suited for his strengths, where he'll be able to get up and down the court and just be active.

dez wells-6'5 220-G/F: one of 2 musketeers who i believe have first round potential. he wasnt as heralded as some of his other fellow Word of God alumni, but he's very talented and in a position to be productive with holloway and lyons gone. he's a powerfully built wing with an attacking style. has great body strength and athleticism and will try to dunk on anybody. needs to work on his jumper, but he showed progress last yr, shooting 38% from 3 in low volume.

hunter mickelson-6'10 236-PF: a little bit of a long shot given how raw he is, but hes a toolsy late bloomer. runs the floor well, has good hands and will be one of the best shot-blockers in the SEC.

andre hollins-6'2 200-PG/G: quick, long, athletic combo who plays the point for minnesota. has deep range with a quick release. he's more of a scorer than a point, but i think his combination of size, athleticism and and 3 pt range is intriguing.

rakeem christmas-6'9 230-PF: highly touted out of HS, but didnt show much at all last season. dajuan coleman is coming to 'cuse and will be the post presence there, but on the other end of the court, christmas might have to be the anchor of the 2-3 because of his mobility, length and explosiveness. overall he has a poor feel for the game and a low skill level, but he's long and explosive.

jarnell stokes-6'8 250-PF: out of all the kids on the US U18 squad, this kid surprised me the most. he is such a house on the block. he's an immovable force, who displays great touch, patience and footwork down low. he's not the greatest athlete but is wise beyond his yrs and really knows how to use his lower body for leverage.

i'll get to possible one-and-doners a little later.


Well, one of your predictions went down yesterday. He also is not a legit 6'5. Dez Wells was expelled from Xavier for sexual misconduct. http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... uct-code/1


wow. not charged, but expelled?
i was looking forward to seeing him. he was like XU's only good returning player.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam



RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 22,760
And1: 2,248
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
Top

Post#70 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 pm by jman3134

Same MR. Xavier will probably be a middle of the pack team in the A10 imo because of this. I think many of these sexual incidents at universities get thrown out all the time though. Word is that he appeared before a student council and his appeal was thrown out. He was also well liked at Xavier. So, I'm guessing the evidence must have been pretty incriminating. But, I would reserve judgment until more information comes out on the matter.
jman3134

Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 17,684
And1: 98
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Top

Post#71 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:05 pm by UGA Hayes

There are three players from Louisville listed on the DX 2013 mock and none of them are Chane Bohanon, which is pretty baffling to me. People pay too much attention to his size and ignore that he was superproductive last year.
UGA Hayes
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
User avatar
Posts: 13,526
And1: 453
Joined: Jan 5, 2004
Location: real gm
Top

Post#72 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:17 pm by ManualRam

UGA Hayes wrote:There are three players from Louisville listed on the DX 2013 mock and none of them are Chane Bohanon, which is pretty baffling to me. People pay too much attention to his size and ignore that he was superproductive last year.

i dunno, maybe if chane had something to make up for his lack of size like length, athleticism or range on his jumper. he's got time to tighten up and expand his skillset. i dont see him sneaking into the first round otherwise.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam



RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 22,760
And1: 2,248
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
Top

Post#73 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 pm by joseph mamah

does anybody see GR3 being a one and doner? or is he looking more like a 3 year guy. I know he shot up the recruiting rankings last year but i dont see him getting much mock draft love.
Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can't do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.

-Mike Singletary
joseph mamah
Sixth Man
User avatar
Posts: 1,951
And1: 135
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
Top

Post#74 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:37 pm by jman3134

I'm going to come out and say it- Joshua Smith is not an NBA draft prospect. How in the world he is rated #18 on the DX mock shows a lack of insight on their part. He is way overrated and Howland is quoted as saying that he isn't in good shape this summer. Plus, he made a fuss about losing 10 lbs. 80 more to go.
jman3134

Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 17,684
And1: 98
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Top

Post#75 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:30 pm by ManualRam

joseph mamah wrote:does anybody see GR3 being a one and doner? or is he looking more like a 3 year guy. I know he shot up the recruiting rankings last year but i dont see him getting much mock draft love.

it's possible. i think he has that ability. he's got a great combination of athleticism, skill, smarts and motor.i love his game, but i dont think beilein's system is conducive to producing 1 and doners.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam



RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 22,760
And1: 2,248
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
Top

Post#76 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:58 pm by UGA Hayes

Has anyone seen Alex Len play for Maryland? I didn't but his numbers albeit in limited games (22) were pretty good his freshman year.

Will Yeguette out of Florida is interesting prospect and I like Olidipu, too.
UGA Hayes
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
User avatar
Posts: 13,526
And1: 453
Joined: Jan 5, 2004
Location: real gm
Top

Post#77 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:29 pm by ManualRam

here's my take on take on len, but i only saw like 3 terp games since they were an awful team to watch.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1201008

i didnt see a whole lot of len last yr, but what i saw didnt impress. he's light, soft, didnt know how to defend without fouling, couldnt establish position in the post and when he did he was a prime candidate to get stripped as he's weak with the ball. he supposedly has some soft touch and decent footwork in the paint, but i didnt get to see much since he was in foul trouble and didnt get enough touches from the terps' selfish perimeter players. he'll have to make some serious strides this yr to be taken in the first IMO, unless some team just drafts him as a raw shot-blocker.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam



RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 22,760
And1: 2,248
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
Top

Post#78 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:53 pm by mattg

UGA Hayes wrote:Has anyone seen Alex Len play for Maryland? I didn't but his numbers albeit in limited games (22) were pretty good his freshman year.

Will Yeguette out of Florida is interesting prospect and I like Olidipu, too.

Len isn't an NBA player at this stage in his development. He's got some tools but he'd need to make massive improvements in every aspect of his game to be drafted. He still needs a few years.
mattg
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,003
And1: 183
Joined: Feb 12, 2007
Top

Post#79 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:15 pm by ManualRam

jman3134 wrote:Same MR. Xavier will probably be a middle of the pack team in the A10 imo because of this. I think many of these sexual incidents at universities get thrown out all the time though. Word is that he appeared before a student council and his appeal was thrown out. He was also well liked at Xavier. So, I'm guessing the evidence must have been pretty incriminating. But, I would reserve judgment until more information comes out on the matter.


here's more info.
the county prosecutor won't even pursue a case.
sounds like dez got a raw deal.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... no-charges
In an interview with WLW-AM radio, Deters called the use of a University Conduct Board to determine whether Wells had committed an offense worthy of expulsion “fundamentally unfair” and “seriously flawed.” Deters said this matter “should never have gotten to the point where someone’s reputation is ruined.”

Deters said he took the allegation seriously and assigned two assistant prosecutors “who are highly skilled at assessing these kinds of cases.”

A source close to Wells told Sporting News he testified before the Hamilton County Grand Jury on Monday.

On Tuesday morning, the Grand Jury declined to prosecute. Deters said, based on what was presented, “It wasn’t even close. ... We would never take anything like this to court. It just wouldn’t happen.”
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam



RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 22,760
And1: 2,248
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
Top

Post#80 Re: 2013 Sleepers
Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:42 am by sisibilio

Nikola Ivanovic might be an interesting pick with a mid-late second round assuming he declares eligible.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN
sisibilio
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,408
And1: 330
Joined: Nov 17, 2009
Top

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Draft


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users