Can anyone explain Jeremy Lamb's fall?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Can anyone explain Jeremy Lamb's fall? 

Post#61 » by ManualRam » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:55 pm

gordito wrote:I mean, the guy was yawning during his draft interviews, so i think it's more than just a "sleepy look" :lol:

All I'm saying is that if all those guys are considered gym rats, surely not that significant of a quality. Also, can you really look at Lamb's game and point out the things he's significantly improved in over the course of his Freshman and Sophmore seasons?

or it could mean he's not a good interview which has nothing to do with how he plays on the court or how he works on his game.

maybe some guys are considered gym rats when they really arent...like waiters, or are gym rats but arent practicing the right things (like repeating a flawed jumper or working harder on things that should be further down their list of priorities given their position).

and yes, he became better at putting the ball on the floor and creating his own shot, which he had to put on display since uconn's offense sucked.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#62 » by TheGoodDoctor » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:24 pm

Clueless GMs.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#63 » by Kabookalu » Wed Aug 1, 2012 11:28 am

Hey ManualRam what's your take on the Raptors picking Ross over Lamb? I was high on Lamb (although was hoping for Barnes to slip to us) and was initially shocked with the Ross pick. However I've come to have accepted it and I think it's going to be a great pick later down in the future. Though I can't help but feel that Lamb is going to make us regret not picking him.
Read on Twitter
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#64 » by ManualRam » Wed Aug 1, 2012 3:14 pm

Choker wrote:Hey ManualRam what's your take on the Raptors picking Ross over Lamb? I was high on Lamb (although was hoping for Barnes to slip to us) and was initially shocked with the Ross pick. However I've come to have accepted it and I think it's going to be a great pick later down in the future. Though I can't help but feel that Lamb is going to make us regret not picking him.

before the draft i ranked the SGs accordingly:

1. lamb
2. ross
3. beal
4. waiters
5. rivers

i said throughout this past college season that i thought ross was a lotto talent, so if it was a reach i dont think it was a BIG reach at all. would i have taken lamb over ross? yes, but i do believe that ross has very good potential as well, more than beal. out of all the SGs i thought that ross was the best defensively right now and is the most athletic. skill-wise he lags behind lamb in terms of ball-handling, creating his own offense and the mid-range game. he just needs to settle down, keep working on his handle and learn what a good shot is.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#65 » by Kabookalu » Wed Aug 1, 2012 8:58 pm

That was the order of my top 3 SG's too, roughly, though my opinion fluctuated. If my hunches come true and Lamb does end up being the best SG in the future with Ross following him, it would be consolation knowing that we at least got the better player than the third pick.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#66 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 1, 2012 9:15 pm

If Lamb and Ross turn out better than Beal, I'll be shocked. Lamb doesn't have the intangibles to be a player you win because of, and I don't see anything above average about Ross. Beal is a poor man's Harden, but at least he has all that it takes to be very close to Harden.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#67 » by Kabookalu » Wed Aug 1, 2012 9:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:If Lamb and Ross turn out better than Beal, I'll be shocked. Lamb doesn't have the intangibles to be a player you win because of, and I don't see anything above average about Ross. Beal is a poor man's Harden, but at least he has all that it takes to be very close to Harden.

I just never got the hype with Beal. It seems to me the only thing he does that stands out particularly well is rebounding for a shooting guard. I don't watch too much college ball so I admit that my opinion relies heavily on what I hear, but whenever I did watch Beal I saw nothing that ever screamed out 3rd overall pick.

Read on Twitter
CablexDeadpool
Head Coach
And1: 1,686

Post#68 » by CablexDeadpool » Wed Aug 1, 2012 9:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:If Lamb and Ross turn out better than Beal, I'll be shocked. Lamb doesn't have the intangibles to be a player you win because of, and I don't see anything above average about Ross. Beal is a poor man's Harden, but at least he has all that it takes to be very close to Harden.

Beal doesn't play like Harden in any form, he's more like Ray Allen and Eric Gordon had a baby...

@ Choker

Beal's hype came in because he's only 18 and he got a beautiful jumpshot and he rebounds and he defends well. High Basketball IQ and he doesn't screw around with "immaturity issues".

And he had a good show at the tournament.

I don't think any of the SGs in this draft is gonna be a superstar, maybe a few all star appearances. Most of these SGs are role players.
ken6199 wrote:A Rocket's loss really brought out the best of people. It makes me realize this forum is filled with jobless scumbags with their only intention to come hate the team they hate and realize their anger from their life/job/wife/kids or whatever.

:lol:
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#69 » by ManualRam » Wed Aug 1, 2012 9:44 pm

Choker wrote:

I just never got the hype with Beal. It seems to me the only thing he does that stands out particularly well is rebounding for a shooting guard. I don't watch too much college ball so I admit that my opinion relies heavily on what I hear, but whenever I did watch Beal I saw nothing that ever screamed out 3rd overall pick.

me either. he's a jack of all trades player with average size and athleticism. nothing about his game stands out, even the most highly touted aspect of his game, his shooting.
he got a lot of rebounds in college but so what? how valuable is guard rebounding? besides, he played a lot of SF and PF in college so he HAD to get boards.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#70 » by ManualRam » Wed Aug 1, 2012 9:48 pm

CablexDeadpool wrote:

Beal doesn't play like Harden in any form, he's more like Ray Allen and Eric Gordon had a baby...

maybe if that baby didnt have the shooting of either, didnt have the lateral quickness of either, didnt have the ability to shoot on the move or create space for his jumper like ray allen and didnt have the explosiveness, either vertically or in terms of first step that makes EJ an exceptional slasher.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#71 » by DMVleGeND » Wed Aug 1, 2012 9:54 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Choker wrote:

me either. he's a jack of all trades player with average size and athleticism. nothing about his game stands out, even the most highly touted aspect of his game, his shooting.
he got a lot of rebounds in college but so what? how valuable is guard rebounding? besides, he played a lot of SF and PF in college so he HAD to get boards.

+1 I wasn't a big fan of Lamb or Beal, but I liked Beal a little more because of Lamb's tendency to disappear. I don't think Beal will be a star though.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
black bart
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#72 » by black bart » Thu Aug 2, 2012 12:56 am

gordito wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
AnSweR07 wrote:Manualram im not so sure why youre high on lamb..sure hes gifted with physical tools but his mental makeup leads me to believe hell never sniff his potential or become aconsistent playet at next level.

because he's skilled talented, athletic, has great length, is the most offensively versatile wing in the draft and those mental makeup issues are completely overblown.
he's versatile enough to look for his own offense and/or play off others.
he's a gym rat, so his team doesnt have to worry about him not working hard to improve.
and in games he's not afraid of big moments. he has an even keel demeanor that is the same at the beginning of the game as it is at the end of the game.

So far on RealGM over the course of this draft season, I've heard that MKG, Beal, Waiters, Robinson, Lillard, Barnes, and Lamb are all gym rats. I'm not even sure what this means anymore, or what is the significance of being one.
low body fat, high vertical jump. They maximize their skillset by being the best they could possibly be. A good example of this is austin rivers. Unlike Beal/Lamb/Lillar, he was unable to life the weight. It shows how committed you are.
CablexDeadpool
Head Coach

Post#73 » by CablexDeadpool » Thu Aug 2, 2012 1:12 am

ManualRam wrote:
CablexDeadpool wrote:

maybe if that baby didnt have the shooting of either, didnt have the lateral quickness of either, didnt have the ability to shoot on the move or create space for his jumper like ray allen and didnt have the explosiveness, either vertically or in terms of first step that makes EJ an exceptional slasher.

Only SG that can actually create their own shot is Dion Waiters and Austin Rivers, the rest are spot up shooters or pull up shooters.

And Beal can actually shoot, his form is pretty and consistent and his tournament play he was money. He actually performed while Jeremy Lamb sucked and got blown out.

And he how you gonna say Beal can't shoot when him and Jeremy Lamb shot the same percentages basically at the same amount of volume. So you saying Lamb can't shoot too? It's not like Lamb showed anything new, it's not like he can get to the rim or he can do anything else besides pull up, run in transition or chuck 3s like he's Kobe. He doesn't play aggressive, he pretty much got handed a team and did nothing with it.

It was Lamb's team and he did nothing. The Perry Jones of SGs.

I don't expect any of the SGs that were drafted to even be anybody, but if there was somebody, I would pick Beal 9 times out of ten because he actually has some sense of urgency and he plays hard.
ken6199 wrote:A Rocket's loss really brought out the best of people. It makes me realize this forum is filled with jobless scumbags with their only intention to come hate the team they hate and realize their anger from their life/job/wife/kids or whatever.

black bart
Rookie

Post#74 » by black bart » Thu Aug 2, 2012 1:18 am

Jeremy Lamb is the better shooter. He is way more efficient. I mean what evidence is there that bradley beal is the better shooter. He has the same 3 pt % but lower 2 pt % and ft %. The stats show he is simply a worse shooter.

And this is taking account of what type of shots jeremy lamb was shooting. He was shooting fade away three pointers and still shot 33%
CablexDeadpool
Head Coach

Post#75 » by CablexDeadpool » Thu Aug 2, 2012 1:34 am

nhh90 wrote:Jeremy Lamb is the better shooter. He is way more efficient. I mean what evidence is there that bradley beal is the better shooter. He has the same 3 pt % but lower 2 pt % and ft %. The stats show he is simply a worse shooter.

And this is taking account of what type of shots jeremy lamb was shooting. He was shooting fade away three pointers and still shot 33%

WTF...

Better shooter how?

Don't be a dickrider and be like "He shot fadeaway doe."

If you shoot it then you shoot the damn shot, idc if it was one handed. Shot selection is a part of shooting the ball. These are shooting guards, if he shot a fadeaway then that's his problem.

That's like Kobe being a better shooter than Lebron because Kobe likes to chuck and shoot 44 percent.

This Fanboyism of Jeremy Lamb is hilarious.

Lamb gets out in transition and he gets those easy buckets, those dunks and lay ups in the open court. He likes to pull up.

Then he likes to chuck threes, well both of them chuck threes, but this dude does the Kobe chuck and tries to shoot over cats. He'll shoot a three when there is 35 seconds left.

And when it came down to it, in the Tournament, Beal out shot Lamb.

Beal was in a shooting slump, but when it came time to play Beal balled his ass out while Lamb got his ass handed to him by some no name school I didn't even know exist.

Nuff said.

And if you wanna go by TS, Beal had a TS of 58 and Lamb had a TS of 59

That's because Beal gets to the line.

black bart
Rookie

Post#76 » by black bart » Thu Aug 2, 2012 1:44 am

CablexDeadpool wrote:
nhh90 wrote:Jeremy Lamb is the better shooter. He is way more efficient. I mean what evidence is there that bradley beal is the better shooter. He has the same 3 pt % but lower 2 pt % and ft %. The stats show he is simply a worse shooter.

WTF...

Better shooter how?

Don't be a dickrider and be like "He shot fadeaway doe."

If you shoot it then you shoot the damn shot, idc if it was one handed. Shot selection is a part of shooting the ball. These are shooting guards, if he shot a fadeaway then that's his problem.

That's like Kobe being a better shooter than Lebron because Kobe likes to chuck and shoot 44 percent.

This Fanboyism of Jeremy Lamb is hilarious.

Lamb gets out in transition and he gets those easy buckets, those dunks and lay ups in the open court. He likes to pull up.

Then he likes to chuck threes, well both of them chuck threes, but this dude does the Kobe chuck and tries to shoot over cats. He'll shoot a three when there is 35 seconds left.

Beal was in a shooting slump, but when it came time to play Beal balled his ass out while Lamb got his ass handed to him by some no name school I didn't even know exist.

Nuff said.

Kobe is a better shooter than lebron. Free shooting % has him way higher throughout his career. He is really a better shooter and is probably one of the best spot up shooters. There is no evidence beal is a better shooter. Every shooting stat he is worse.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#77 » by ManualRam » Thu Aug 2, 2012 1:47 am

CablexDeadpool wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
CablexDeadpool wrote:

Only SG that can actually create their own shot is Dion Waiters and Austin Rivers, the rest are spot up shooters or pull up shooters. Nobody on else.

And Beal can actually shoot, his form is pretty and consistent and his tournament play he was money. He actually performed while Jeremy Lamb sucked and got blown out.

And he how you gonna say Beal can't shoot when him and Jeremy Lamb shot the same percentages basically. So you saying Lamb can't shoot too?

I don't expect any of the SGs that were drafted to even be anybody, but if there was somebody, I would pick Beal 9 times out of ten because he actually has some sense of urgency and he plays hard.

no. rivers and waiters are probably the best of the bunch at penetrating, but there other ways for a player to create his own offense. lamb is the best out of the bunch at getting to certain spots on the floor and making shots, like in the mid-range for pull-ups and floaters. he's also the best at creating space on the perimeter to get off his shot since he's a good ball-handler, is quicker, shoots better off-balance, has the quicker release and covers a lot of ground with his moves because of his length.

i never said beal couldnt shoot. i said he's not good at shooting on the move, which he's not. he's a standstill shooter or a guy who pulls up off of ball screens. thats it. lamb is MUCH better shooting on the move because of his length, quickness and quicker release, which opens the possibilities to use him in different ways such as floppy sets ( multiple baseline/sideline screens) or drawing up isos on the wing.

and no, lamb didnt suck in uconn's ONLY game in the tourney. he and napier were the only ones who showed up for that game. this after avging 19-6 on 53% from the floor, 42% from 3 in the big east tourney, and dont forget his FRESHMAN yr where he scored 15 a game in the big east and ncaa tourney combined on 55% from the floor and 52% from 3.

you take the player who plays with the more "sense of urgency," whatever that means. i'll take the more talented, skilled, versatile player with greater upside on both ends of the floor.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#78 » by ManualRam » Thu Aug 2, 2012 1:53 am

CablexDeadpool wrote:This Fanboyism of Jeremy Lamb is hilarious.

Nuff said.

your arguments are hilarious.

lamb is a good, versatile, efficient scorer. the MOST efficient and versatile out of the lotto SGs. there's no other way around that.

when it came down to the tournament, beal's team was better than lamb's this yr. uconn didnt even deserve to be in the tourney this yr and they only played 1 game (never heard of iowa st??? is that THAT too obscure of a school???), but i like how you dont mention how he played last yr when the pressure was on.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
CablexDeadpool
Head Coach

Post#79 » by CablexDeadpool » Thu Aug 2, 2012 2:21 am

ManualRam wrote:

Nuff said.

lamb is a good, versatile, efficient scorer. the MOST efficient and versatile out of the lotto SGs. there's no other way around that.

when it came down to the tournament, beal's team was better than lamb's this yr. uconn didnt even deserve to be in the tourney this yr and they only played 1 game (never heard of iowa st??? is that THAT too obscure of a school???), but i like how you dont mention how he played last yr when the pressure was on.

Yeah while he had Kemba Walker who put UConn on his back.

Like I said, Lamb had a chance to be the man and he played like the 2nd or 3rd Option he is.

He isn't the most versatile scorer because he can't get to the rim at all and he can't get to the line. His handle is also weak and he can only go left. He can only pull up left.

Most versatile has to be Austin Rivers. He can get to the line, he can break someone off the dribble, he can come off screens, he can get out in transition.

Most Efficient would have to be Jeremy Lamb simply just because of he plays. Run the break, pull up, 3 point shot.

black bart
Rookie

Post#80 » by black bart » Thu Aug 2, 2012 2:28 am

CablexDeadpool wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

Nuff said.

Yeah while he had Kemba Walker who put UConn on his back.

Like I said, Lamb had a chance to be the man and he played like the 2nd or 3rd Option he is.

He isn't the most versatile scorer because he can't get to the rim at all and he can't get to the line. His handle is also weak and he can only go left. He can only pull up left.

Most versatile has to be Austin Rivers. He can get to the line, he can break someone off the dribble, he can come off screens, he can get out in transition.

Most Efficient would have to be Jeremy Lamb simply just because of he plays. Run the break, pull up, 3 point shot.

I wouldn't say that austin rivers is versatile. He plays aggressive and somewhat out of control. I am not keen on him at all and feel like he is 2nd round prospect that is being hyped due to his name. He has poor ball handling skills. Austin Rivers always struggled against talented teams and would stumble and fall down a lot. You could see this in college stats and in the summer league. When he played someone good, he struggled. Versatile, I would say is at the bottom of his skill set.

Return to NBA Draft