Can anyone explain Jeremy Lamb's fall?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

CablexDeadpool
Head Coach
And1: 1,686

Re: Can anyone explain Jeremy Lamb's fall? 

Post#81 » by CablexDeadpool » Thu Aug 2, 2012 2:39 am

@nhh90

Austin Rivers is pretty versatile, he gets to the rim, pick and roll, gets to the line, iso, and transition.

He had his best game against UNC, 29, destroyed UNC. And against Ohio State he dropped 22 points, his second biggest game.

He's a big time gunner. He straighten up and he will be good. He would be best playing PG with a passing SG.

He just needs a midrange game.
ken6199 wrote:A Rocket's loss really brought out the best of people. It makes me realize this forum is filled with jobless scumbags with their only intention to come hate the team they hate and realize their anger from their life/job/wife/kids or whatever.

:lol:
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#82 » by ManualRam » Thu Aug 2, 2012 2:45 am

CablexDeadpool wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
CablexDeadpool wrote:This Fanboyism of Jeremy Lamb is hilarious.

Lamb gets out in transition and he gets those easy buckets, those dunks and lay ups in the open court. He likes to pull up.

Then he likes to chuck threes, well both of them chuck threes, but this dude does the Kobe chuck and tries to shoot over cats. He'll shoot a three when there is 35 seconds left.

And when it came down to it, in the Tournament, Beal out shot Lamb.

Beal was in a shooting slump, but when it came time to play Beal balled his ass out while Lamb got his ass handed to him by some no name school I didn't even know exist.

Nuff said.

And if you wanna go by TS, Beal had a TS of 58 and Lamb had a TS of 59

That's because Beal gets to the line.

your arguments are hilarious.

lamb is a good, versatile, efficient scorer. the MOST efficient and versatile out of the lotto SGs. there's no other way around that.

when it came down to the tournament, beal's team was better than lamb's this yr. uconn didnt even deserve to be in the tourney this yr and they only played 1 game (never heard of iowa st??? is that THAT too obscure of a school???), but i like how you dont mention how he played last yr when the pressure was on.

Yeah while he had Kemba Walker who put UConn on his back.

Like I said, Lamb had a chance to be the man and he played like the 2nd or 3rd Option he is.

He isn't the most versatile scorer because he can't get to the rim at all and he can't get to the line. His handle is also weak and he can only go left. He can only pull up left.

Most versatile has to be Austin Rivers. He can get to the line, he can break someone off the dribble, he can come off screens, he can get out in transition.

Most Efficient would have to be Jeremy Lamb simply just because of he plays. Run the break, pull up, 3 point shot.

yeah kemba put uconn on his back while lamb was also scoring in the teens with elite efficiency. sure.

if lamb is a 2nd option, thats fine. he'd be higher up in the pecking order than someone like beal.

and yes he is the most versatile scorer because he can score from every level of the floor and do it efficiently. he can spot up and shoot, he can score in iso, he can score in the mid-range with pull ups, can score in transition, he moves very well off the ball so you can either use him on simple down screen plays or baseline/sideline screens and he has an elite floater game. that's a wider arsenal than any of the SGs in the lotto. he has a greater arsenal than austin rivers who you used as an example. austin can get in the paint but doesnt finish well. he doesnt score well off the ball since he doesnt catch and shoot well, he has no mid-range game and he doesnt know how to come off screens and shoot.

and no, lamb's handle is not weak. if his handle was weak, he wouldnt be able to get to spots on the floor for his mid-range and in game or create his own shot off the dribble from the perimeter. unlike someone like beal, lamb can get to spots on the floor and create his own shot without the help of a ball screen due to his superior quickness and handle.

most efficient would be jeremy lamb because he's the most efficient of the group.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#83 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 2, 2012 10:15 am

Jeremy Lamb has not shown any reason to believe he's going to be an efficient scorer in the NBA - simply because he doesn't get to the foul line. And while he has a pretty looking jumper, he hasn't shown to be a particularly proficient 3 point shooter. Somehow I doubt that he's going to hit 60% of his 2 point FGA's in the NBA. People here were saying he had 7'2 or 7'3 wingspan; well he doesn't. He has a Nick Young like wingspan. I compared him to Young many months ago and got laughed at - until people watched Lamb's combine interviews. He is most likely the next Nick Young.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#84 » by King d » Thu Aug 2, 2012 3:38 pm

Ruzious wrote:Jeremy Lamb has not shown any reason to believe he's going to be an efficient scorer in the NBA - simply because he doesn't get to the foul line. And while he has a pretty looking jumper, he hasn't shown to be a particularly proficient 3 point shooter. Somehow I doubt that he's going to hit 60% of his 2 point FGA's in the NBA. People here were saying he had 7'2 or 7'3 wingspan; well he doesn't. He has a Nick Young like wingspan. I compared him to Young many months ago and got laughed at - until people watched Lamb's combine interviews. He is most likely the next Nick Young.

Agree, I like the Nick Young comparison, both low bball IQ players who are just jumpshooters. Lamb frame combined with his average handle will make him struggle against nba level athletes. I wouldn't be surprised if all he does at the next level is take contested jumpers ala Michael Beasley.

I also laugh so hard with the "length argument" he has over other guys like Brad Beal, Lamb is 6'5 with a 6'11 wingspan and Beal is a 6'4'75 with a 6'8 wingspan. WOW...! Give me Beal's nba ready body to absorb contact any time of the weak and you can keep that supposedly monster length Lamb has over Beal.

And I don't think Lamb is faster/quicker than Beal as well, but that's another story.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#85 » by ManualRam » Thu Aug 2, 2012 3:47 pm

Ruzious wrote:Jeremy Lamb has not shown any reason to believe he's going to be an efficient scorer in the NBA - simply because he doesn't get to the foul line. And while he has a pretty looking jumper, he hasn't shown to be a particularly proficient 3 point shooter. Somehow I doubt that he's going to hit 60% of his 2 point FGA's in the NBA. People here were saying he had 7'2 or 7'3 wingspan; well he doesn't. He has a Nick Young like wingspan. I compared him to Young many months ago and got laughed at - until people watched Lamb's combine interviews. He is most likely the next Nick Young.

sure he has. he was an efficient scorer in college who can generate clean looks and make shots from every level of the floor. there are some reasons right there.
getting to the line in the NBA is easier than in college since the lane is open. uconn as a whole didnt get to the line a lot because their own bigs effectively clogged the paint. none of their bigs were a threat to score, so the majority of their offense had to be generated from the perimeter.

lamb was visibly more aggressive taking it to the hoop in summer league and got to the line 5 times a game in 29 minutes of action. he'll never be a guy who gets to the line 8-9 times a game, but if he gets there 5-6 times a game he'll be fine because he's such a good shotmaker from the mid-range.

and so what if his wingspan isnt 7'3, he still has elite length for the SG position, as does nick young.

if young moved better off the ball, could handle the ball better, had better shot selection, picked his spots better and had a better short-range pull up/ floater game he'd be one of the better SG scorers in the league. lamb as a prospect has all those attributes over prospect nick young.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 2, 2012 9:04 pm

ManualRam wrote:

sure he has. he was an efficient scorer in college who can generate clean looks and make shots from every level of the floor. there are some reasons right there.
getting to the line in the NBA is easier than in college since the lane is open. uconn as a whole didnt get to the line a lot because their own bigs effectively clogged the paint. none of their bigs were a threat to score, so the majority of their offense had to be generated from the perimeter.

lamb was visibly more aggressive taking it to the hoop in summer league and got to the line 5 times a game in 29 minutes of action. he'll never be a guy who gets to the line 8-9 times a game, but if he gets there 5-6 times a game he'll be fine because he's such a good shotmaker from the mid-range.

and so what if his wingspan isnt 7'3, he still has elite length for the SG position, as does nick young.

if young moved better off the ball, could handle the ball better, had better shot selection, picked his spots better and had a better short-range pull up/ floater game he'd be one of the better SG scorers in the league. lamb as a prospect has all those attributes over prospect nick young.

First of all, Summer league stats means absolutely nothing. Even if they lasted longer than the meaningless sample size of 5 games, they'd mean absolutely nothing.
Second, this blaming Lamb's problems on UConn's bigs is absurd and has zero basis in reality.
Third, how far has that elite length for the SG position carried Nick Young? Nick Young - the current player - is not good - so compare Lamb to the current Young. Lamb is every bit as 1 dumbentional as Young. All of those characteristics you mentioned sound good, but I doubt there's any significant difference between them.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
black bart
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#87 » by black bart » Thu Aug 2, 2012 9:25 pm

Ruzious wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

First of all, Summer league stats means absolutely nothing. Even if they lasted longer than the meaningless sample size of 5 games, they'd mean absolutely nothing.
Second, this blaming Lamb's problems on UConn's bigs is absurd and has zero basis in reality.
Third, how far has that elite length for the SG position carried Nick Young? Nick Young - the current player - is not good - so compare Lamb to the current Young. Lamb is every bit as 1 dumbentional as Young. All of those characteristics you mentioned sound good, but I doubt there's any significant difference between them.

Nick Young comparision is fine but lets talk about the differences between the two players.
Nick Young was 22 when he was drafted. Jeremy Lamb was 20. Let alone the fact that jeremy lamb is a much better player off screens and has better ball handling skills. Nick Young was and is one of the best spot up shooters in the nba. His stats showed this and he had an outrageous ts% his final college year. Something aroundn 70 ts%. If Nick Young had any ball handling skills he would have been a top 10 draft pick. He is more like wesley johnson than Jeremy Lamb.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 2, 2012 9:45 pm

Nick Young's ball-handling skills are just fine for a 2 guard. And he's actually greatly improved his off the ball movement in the NBA. The problems with him aren't for lack of any physical ability. Even defensively, he's outstanding one on one. For example, he's covered Dwayne Wade extremely well - one on one - pretty much every time they've been matched up. But basketball is a team game and requires more than individual skills and athleticism. The part that requires something between the ears is where Nick has problems. Effectively, the only team part of the game he's processed is coming off screens and shooting open jump shots. He can drive to the basket just fine - he's a 1 on 1 hero who used to have epic battles with Gil Arenas... for fun; but when he's double or triple teamed on the way in NBA reality, he can't process what the best option is.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#89 » by ManualRam » Thu Aug 2, 2012 9:47 pm

Ruzious wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

i agree that summer league stats are meaningless, but he did show more aggression going towards the hoop and it resulted in him getting fouled.

the uconn team was a mess. a big part of their struggles was the poor play from their bigs. when a a team has unskilled bigs, teams can lay off of them and help out to build walls in the paint. oriakhi and drummond's presence, to go along with olander and daniels' ineffectiveness meant that there were no driving lanes. if a team has no interior presence vs zones, which they faced a lot, there is no way to play inside out, so they had to play outside in, which meant shot creation from the perimeter.

elite length has enabled young to be a good shot maker and a good defender (and yes, he is a good defender). the reason why he's not good is because he has no conscience. he has terrible shot selection and once the ball touches his hands, it's most likely to go up. his ball-handling has not progressed and neither has his b-ball IQ. he can get his shot whenever he wants, but all he is on offense is a shot hunter and when he's not hunting shots, he has a tendency to just stand around.
and no, lamb isnt as one dimensional as young is now or young the prospect. he moves well off the ball. he has more patience than someone like young who shot hunts and shot hunts only. lamb showed his freshman yr that he's perfectly fine playing off others and being a finisher. he showed this yr that he CAN create his own shot as well. young COULD be one of the more versatile scoring 2's in the league but he's not because he neither has the intelligence of patience to do so.

it doesnt matter if there is a significant difference b/t those characteristics. lamb has them and young doesnt. those characteristics are what separates one from another.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 2, 2012 9:52 pm

Again, Young is an excellent 1 on 1 defender. But NBA defense is not about 1 on 1 defense. It's about team defense. Young is a terrible team defender, so he is not a good defender.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#91 » by ManualRam » Thu Aug 2, 2012 11:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:Again, Young is an excellent 1 on 1 defender. But NBA defense is not about 1 on 1 defense. It's about team defense. Young is a terrible team defender, so he is not a good defender.

for the wiz, a poor defensive team, young held his opposing SG match up to a 10.1 PER in the '11 season and 11.4 PER this past yr for them. shutting down your counterpart still matters.

here are his stats in help situations last yr on the same bad defensive team:

PnR handler:
.76 ppp, 34%fg against

Spot Ups (rotating out to shooters):
.82 ppp, 29%fg against

even if he's a dumb ass, he still has the length and athleticism to recover.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by Ruzious » Sat Aug 4, 2012 9:34 am

ManualRam wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Again, Young is an excellent 1 on 1 defender. But NBA defense is not about 1 on 1 defense. It's about team defense. Young is a terrible team defender, so he is not a good defender.

for the wiz, a poor defensive team, young held his opposing SG match up to a 10.1 PER in the '11 season and 11.4 PER this past yr for them. shutting down your counterpart still matters.

PnR handler:
.76 ppp, 34%fg against

.82 ppp, 29%fg against

Maybe if I say this one more time a little differently, it'll sink in - Nick Young is an excellent 1 on 1 defender. That and a dollar 50 will get you a small coffee at McDonalds. He's a terrible team defender. Team defense is what matters in the NBA - not individual defense. Therefore, Nick Young is a very ineffective defender in the NBA.

Put it another way - The Wizards became much better or much worse defensively after they traded Young and McGee (the center equivalent of Young)? And they had Jordan Crawford... starting at the 2.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,173

Post#93 » by rockmanslim » Sat Aug 4, 2012 9:49 am

Not following closely enough to figure out why Nick Young's defense is being brought up, but it reminded me of this post from Hickory High a few months back:

http://www.hickory-high.com/?p=3321
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

ManualRam
RealGM

Post#94 » by ManualRam » Sat Aug 4, 2012 3:41 pm

Ruzious wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

PnR handler:
.76 ppp, 34%fg against

.82 ppp, 29%fg against

Maybe if I say this one more time a little differently, it'll sink in - Nick Young is an excellent 1 on 1 defender. That and a dollar 50 will get you a small coffee at McDonalds. He's a terrible team defender. Team defense is what matters in the NBA - not individual defense. Therefore, Nick Young is a very ineffective defender in the NBA.

Put it another way - The Wizards became much better or much worse defensively after they traded Young and McGee (the center equivalent of Young)? And they had Jordan Crawford... starting at the 2.

individual defense still matters. if a player can stick with their man, less help is needed.
his synergy stats with the wiz also say that he was good in help situations as well (guarding the PnR and rotating out to shooters).

this doesnt say that the wiz were any different defensively without him on the floor.
http://www.nba.com/advancedstats/team-v ... 2;season=r
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#95 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:54 am

ManualRam wrote:
King d wrote:
ManualRam wrote:imo even with those flaws you pointed out, lamb is a better player now than all the SGs take ahead of him and he has more potential than all of them as well.

No way, Beal is a way better player than Lamb, with an nba ready body, and is way more versatile than lamb in almost every aspect of the game, and that includes offense and defense. Wake up

the only thing i can agree with in your post is that beal has the more nba ready body.
thats it.

beal's just gonna be a spot up shooter and occasional PnR handler on offense this yr. his lack of quickness is not gonna help him trying to create his own offense, either creating space for his own shot or getting to the rack. his lack of lateral quickness will hurt him defensively trying to stay in front of his man. on top of that, he's a shooter who's not particularly good at shooting on the move if he's not aided by a ball screen.

lamb is better on the ball creating his own offense. he's better shooting on the move, either coming off screens or pulling up and he's faster in transition. lamb is also better defensively currently because he's quicker laterally and is longer so he can play off his man, recover and contest shots. he's also more of a factor in the passing lanes because of his ability to cover more ground, more quickly.

lamb is better offensively and defensively now and has more potential in both areas as well.

YOU wake up. beal is an ordinary athlete and that will show in ALL areas where athleticism matters.

Your really Think he is a better defender than him?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#96 » by ManualRam » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:46 am

GreenRiddler wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
King d wrote:

No way, Beal is a way better player than Lamb, with an nba ready body, and is way more versatile than lamb in almost every aspect of the game, and that includes offense and defense. Wake up

the only thing i can agree with in your post is that beal has the more nba ready body.
thats it.

beal's just gonna be a spot up shooter and occasional PnR handler on offense this yr. his lack of quickness is not gonna help him trying to create his own offense, either creating space for his own shot or getting to the rack. his lack of lateral quickness will hurt him defensively trying to stay in front of his man. on top of that, he's a shooter who's not particularly good at shooting on the move if he's not aided by a ball screen.

lamb is better on the ball creating his own offense. he's better shooting on the move, either coming off screens or pulling up and he's faster in transition. lamb is also better defensively currently because he's quicker laterally and is longer so he can play off his man, recover and contest shots. he's also more of a factor in the passing lanes because of his ability to cover more ground, more quickly.

lamb is better offensively and defensively now and has more potential in both areas as well.

YOU wake up. beal is an ordinary athlete and that will show in ALL areas where athleticism matters.

Your really Think he is a better defender than him?

absolutely
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#97 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:14 pm

ManualRam wrote:
absolutely

:roll:
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#98 » by ManualRam » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:24 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
absolutely

:roll:

compelling rebuttal. im convinced.
15shuttle
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#99 » by 15shuttle » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:27 am

There is unbelievable amount of dumb in this thread. One guy is saying Beal is better because he performed well in the tournament and Lamb wasn't good in tournaments? How about 2011, where he shot 58 percent from the field and over 60 % from three over the course of six games.

If people really think he is a bad shooter they will be shocked once he starts playing in the NBA. Uconn had one of the worst half court offenses I have ever seen this year and got zoned every game and all their guards did all game was jack up contested 3's. That hurts your percentages...

And for the people who think that Lamb can't create his own shot, I don't even know how to respond other than to wonder if you have watched him play.

I really don't know why he dropped to be honest, this was one of the few times RealGM was smarter than GM's with the majority having Lamb the 1B shooting guard at worst.
CablexDeadpool
Head Coach
And1: 1,686

Post#100 » by CablexDeadpool » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:39 am

15shuttle wrote:There is unbelievable amount of dumb in this thread. One guy is saying Beal is better because he performed well in the tournament and Lamb wasn't good in tournaments? How about 2011, where he shot 58 percent from the field and over 60 % from three over the course of six games.

If people really think he is a bad shooter they will be shocked once he starts playing in the NBA. Uconn had one of the worst half court offenses I have ever seen this year and got zoned every game and all their guards did all game was jack up contested 3's. That hurts your percentages...

And for the people who think that Lamb can't create his own shot, I don't even know how to respond other than to wonder if you have watched him play.

I really don't know why he dropped to be honest, this was one of the few times RealGM was smarter than GM's with the majority having Lamb the 1B shooting guard at worst.

Have you seen him play in half court, he is Harrison Barnes bad at getting cut off.
ken6199 wrote:A Rocket's loss really brought out the best of people. It makes me realize this forum is filled with jobless scumbags with their only intention to come hate the team they hate and realize their anger from their life/job/wife/kids or whatever.

:lol:

Return to NBA Draft