Maybe Isaiah Austin saves the Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Maybe Isaiah Austin saves the Draft 

Post#21 » by ManualRam » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Ruzious wrote:He's a lottery wild-card, imo. I'm really impressed with his recent improvement in rebounding and shot-blocking, though he still hasn't put his game all together, yet. There's still about a month left. If he can show he can get to the line more and keep up the rebounding and shot-blocking, he could go in the top half of the lottery.

he's been rebounding fine all season. he can just extend and reach over 6'8 college c's and tap the ball to himself.
the questions i have about austin are: will he be able to maneuver or get around NBA bigs trying to hold him off for rebounds? does he have the agility to get in better rebounding position? does he have the lateral quickness to slide over in time to provide help and block shots? does he have the quicks and agility to keep face up bigs from turning him into a revolving door?

i'd be less pessimistic about austin if he had the agility to make up for his lack of strength like a john henson, but he doesn't look like he has that. offensively, he doesn't have straight line quickness either. so even if he pulls off a show n go there is no guarantee he would get all the way to the hoop, beating the help.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#22 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:45 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Ruzious wrote:He's a lottery wild-card, imo. I'm really impressed with his recent improvement in rebounding and shot-blocking, though he still hasn't put his game all together, yet. There's still about a month left. If he can show he can get to the line more and keep up the rebounding and shot-blocking, he could go in the top half of the lottery.

he's been rebounding fine all season. he can just extend and reach over 6'8 college c's and tap the ball to himself.
the questions i have about austin are: will he be able to maneuver or get around NBA bigs trying to hold him off for rebounds? does he have the agility to get in better rebounding position? does he have the lateral quickness to slide over in time to provide help and block shots? does he have the quicks and agility to keep face up bigs from turning him into a revolving door?

i'd be less pessimistic about austin if he had the agility to make up for his lack of strength like a john henson, but he doesn't look like he has that. offensively, he doesn't have straight line quickness either. so even if he pulls off a show n go there is no guarantee he would get all the way to the hoop, beating the help.

His rebounding numbers have picked up quite a lot over the last few games. He's listed at 220 lbs now. If that's legit - considering he's 19, he's got a chance to be a Chris Bosh type athlete. Henson bulked up to 216 at age 21 (after being about 180 as the skinniest freshman I've ever seen) and is probably 2 inches shorter, so I think Austin has a better projectable NBA body and strength. Unfortunately, he hasn't shown the consistent offensive game that Bosh had - as far as all shooting percentages and getting to the line. That's primarily where I'm looking to see if he improves and produces over the next month.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,299

Post#23 » by DirtyDez » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Nobody in this draft would benefit more from another year than Austin. Not just draft stock but just as an overall player. Unfortunately he plays for Scott Drew.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#24 » by ManualRam » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

His rebounding numbers have picked up quite a lot over the last few games. He's listed at 220 lbs now. If that's legit - considering he's 19, he's got a chance to be a Chris Bosh type athlete. Henson bulked up to 216 at age 21 (after being about 180 as the skinniest freshman I've ever seen) and is probably 2 inches shorter, so I think Austin has a better projectable NBA body and strength. Unfortunately, he hasn't shown the consistent offensive game that Bosh had - as far as all shooting percentages and getting to the line. That's primarily where I'm looking to see if he improves and produces over the next month.

chris bosh could move like a SF. austin moves like he's running against the wind.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo

Return to NBA Draft