Re: Archie Goodwin ceiling 

Post#21 » by 23-7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:53 pm

McLemore?
black bart
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#22 » by black bart » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:41 am

He is a kentucky prospect. Overrated to the core. There is nothing great about him. He struggles from out and is only scoring at a high clipping due to being a decent athlete. He won't be elite athlete in nba and all those problems that he has will just make him inefficient. In all honesty, he is reminding me of a little more athletic austin rivers. Terrible Prospect.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#23 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:02 am

It is getting depressing to watch him and - to a lesser extent - Poythress. No question at all that both are great talents, but they're lost out there trying to do things they just can't at this point - even against mediocre opponents. Goodwin's play-making skills are lacking, and Poythress is a 4 trying to play the 3. Calipari is playing them out of their comfort zones, and it's not working. Actually, their 2nd best prospect right now is probably Cauley-Stein. As raw as his offensive game is, he had 4 assists and 0 turnovers and is putting up the same kind of blocks/steals combo as Noel.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#24 » by Rockmaninoff » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Ruzious wrote:It is getting depressing to watch him and - to a lesser extent - Poythress. No question at all that both are great talents, but they're lost out there trying to do things they just can't at this point - even against mediocre opponents. Goodwin's play-making skills are lacking, and Poythress is a 4 trying to play the 3. Calipari is playing them out of their comfort zones, and it's not working. Actually, their 2nd best prospect right now is probably Cauley-Stein. As raw as his offensive game is, he had 4 assists and 0 turnovers and is putting up the same kind of blocks/steals combo as Noel.

Agree on Cauley-Stein. I have him right on par with Noel. Might be higher after measurements.

I think the problem with Kentucky is that they don't have good enough guards. I'm also guessing Poythress was told during recruiting that he'd play the 3. Stats are loving neither Goodwin nor Poythress.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
lukekarts
Head Coach
And1: 335

Post#25 » by lukekarts » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Archie had another poor night dropping 8 points on 2 of 10 shooting (his 3rd bad showing in a row) but still showcased some of the raw potential that could make him a great NBA player. He was getting to the basket at will; yet his lack of court vision cost Kentucky a couple of easy fast break points. He still had a fantastic dunk and drew fouls on several possessions.

It's frustrating to watch, but I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt because he's one of the youngest guys in the entire NCAA (turned 18 in August). He'd probably benefit more than most from playing with a proper point guard.
There is no consolation prize. Winning is everything.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,163

Post#26 » by Frank Lee » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:14 pm

lukekarts wrote:Archie had another poor night .........
It's frustrating to watch, but I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt because he's one of the youngest guys in the entire NCAA (turned 18 in August). He'd probably benefit more than most from playing with a proper point guard.

He benefit more by staying another yr at KY.
What ? Me Worry ?
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#27 » by ManualRam » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:30 pm

Frank Lee wrote:
lukekarts wrote:Archie had another poor night .........

He benefit more by staying another yr at KY.

i think he'll benefit more by playing under a good teaching head coach. he should leave.

his high ceiling still remains, but i think he'll always be a player who you have to take the good with the bad, like a westbrook or sprewell.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
bigfan26
Junior
And1: 11

Post#28 » by bigfan26 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:03 pm

Not to wish ill on such a young player, but I hope he continues with his inconsistent play and slides down to the lower lottery and my team, the bulls, can trade up to acquire him.

He wouldn't be a perfect fit for us, but with his length and atheleticism he'd be a very good defender under thibideau and would be able to play to his strengths(slashing and defending) while learning how to play under control with proper tutelage from thibs.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#29 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Definitely cooled on him a bit. Worried about his 67.9% from the FT line, on a lot (100+) of attempts. Under 70 is a big red flag for range and skill. The guy has a spectacular ability to attack the basket but the rest just isn't looking good.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#30 » by Joel Embust » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:35 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Definitely cooled on him a bit. Worried about his 67.9% from the FT line, on a lot (100+) of attempts. Under 70 is a big red flag for range and skill. The guy has a spectacular ability to attack the basket but the rest just isn't looking good.

Those things can be improved in the NBA. Westbrook shot around 70% from the line at UCLA.

I still believe in young Archie. Let him slide, he'll make teams pay for passing on him.

Return to NBA Draft