Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Blame Rasho, jman3134

IS he an NBA...

Small Foward
3
21%
Power Forward
11
79%
 
Total votes: 14

User avatar
Piston Pete
RealGM
Posts: 15,707
And1: 195
Joined: Feb 06, 2002
Location: Way out in left field

Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#1 » by Piston Pete » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:40 pm

What is his best position to play in the NBA?
User avatar
ManualRam
RealGM
Posts: 23,291
And1: 2,665
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
     

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:48 pm

I think the choice is easy. PF. he's got legit shot blocking and rebounding skills. he might be 6'8-6'8.5 but he's got a 7'3 wingspan, natural body strength, and the frame to point on more weight on his already 235-240 lb frame. he's shown that he can play physically as well.
his handle is still really weak, and although he can knock down the outside jumper, that's pretty much all he can do 3 pt line extended.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
User avatar
boogie-reke
Head Coach
Posts: 6,890
And1: 228
Joined: Nov 05, 2010
   

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#3 » by boogie-reke » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:16 pm

Really hope we get him to the Kings.

Don't need him to do much more then hit the 3pt shot and run the floor early and can let his offense at the SF develop and I think his activity/hustle/athletic ability will help him create enough of offense from garbage plays, and defensively he's a good type of tweener.
“Its my 2nd year of losing and Im not trying to get used to this.I didnt want to get use to it last year.I had enough of it. Its time to turn it around”
-DeMarcus Cousins

“Rookie or not- Im not letting anybody relax"
-Thomas Robinson
teamjosh04
Senior
Posts: 653
And1: 2
Joined: Jun 08, 2008
Location: http://nbaprospects.blogspot.com/
Contact:

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#4 » by teamjosh04 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:27 pm

He wants to be a SF, but he is a power forward. He has a long ways to go in terms of ball handling if he wanted to make the jump to the perimeter and it would take away some of his biggest strengths.

http://nbaprospects.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... north.html
User avatar
Sik Infant
RealGM
Posts: 12,547
And1: 1,454
Joined: Apr 23, 2009
 

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#5 » by Sik Infant » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:50 am

He's a power forward.

He thinks he is a small forward though.
Piston Prince wrote:Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season


Image
Greek
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,590
And1: 90
Joined: May 03, 2004
Location: Cyprus

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#6 » by Greek » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:06 am

Is josh Smith good comparison for him?
Fischella
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,802
And1: 563
Joined: Feb 11, 2012
         

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#7 » by Fischella » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:35 am

Greek wrote:Is josh Smith good comparison for him?

Yea, a mix between Smith and Beasley, he's a much better shooter than Josh at his age.
User avatar
ManualRam
RealGM
Posts: 23,291
And1: 2,665
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
     

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#8 » by ManualRam » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Greek wrote:Is josh Smith good comparison for him?

kinda. i mean they're both run/jump athletic physical specimens. tony has a naturally stronger, more muscular build, especially up top. he looks like he weighs more than josh does right now. he's got longer arms and bigger hands than josh. he has a better shooting touch. i think he has more potential as a rebounder and inside physical presence. hopefully these 2 years of college will lead to him becoming a smarter player as well. imo, if he became another josh smith, then he wouldn't have lived up to his potential.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
User avatar
EddieJonesFan
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,909
And1: 239
Joined: Apr 19, 2009

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#9 » by EddieJonesFan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:13 pm

He's far more dynamic as a PF who can stretch the offense, and it keeps him down low as a shot blocker and rebounder.
hcsilla
General Manager
Posts: 8,064
And1: 110
Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#10 » by hcsilla » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Greek wrote:Is josh Smith good comparison for him?


I would rather say a bit less explosive version of Kenyon Martin from the Kidd-era in New Jersey.
User avatar
Dr Positivity
RealGM
Posts: 31,501
And1: 1,215
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
       

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#11 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:25 pm

PF on most teams, but I think the Cavs draft him to be their SF cause of his reb, blk, stl and efficiency numbers makes him a perfect fit for the Cavs advanced metrics surprise pick of 2013
Fischella
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,802
And1: 563
Joined: Feb 11, 2012
         

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#12 » by Fischella » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:02 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:PF on most teams, but I think the Cavs draft him to be their SF cause of his reb, blk, stl and efficiency numbers makes him a perfect fit for the Cavs advanced metrics surprise pick of 2013

It's a bad fit for the Cavs next to TThompson and Varejao, that frontcourt would be awful, maybe with another PF it could work, or with Zeller if they trade Varejao, but not like this.

Poythress is the guy for Cleveland, no doubt.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,268
And1: 198
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#13 » by Jazzfan12 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:02 am

ManualRam wrote:
Greek wrote:Is josh Smith good comparison for him?

kinda. i mean they're both run/jump athletic physical specimens. tony has a naturally stronger, more muscular build, especially up top. he looks like he weighs more than josh does right now. he's got longer arms and bigger hands than josh. he has a better shooting touch. i think he has more potential as a rebounder and inside physical presence. hopefully these 2 years of college will lead to him becoming a smarter player as well. imo, if he became another josh smith, then he wouldn't have lived up to his potential.


Josh Smith was the best player on a top 4 seed last year.

Kind of doubting that Tony Mitchell gets to that level.
User avatar
ManualRam
RealGM
Posts: 23,291
And1: 2,665
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
     

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#14 » by ManualRam » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:13 am

Jazzfan12 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
Greek wrote:Is josh Smith good comparison for him?

kinda. i mean they're both run/jump athletic physical specimens. tony has a naturally stronger, more muscular build, especially up top. he looks like he weighs more than josh does right now. he's got longer arms and bigger hands than josh. he has a better shooting touch. i think he has more potential as a rebounder and inside physical presence. hopefully these 2 years of college will lead to him becoming a smarter player as well. imo, if he became another josh smith, then he wouldn't have lived up to his potential.


Josh Smith was the best player on a top 4 seed last year.

Kind of doubting that Tony Mitchell gets to that level.


i'm not, but then again i still don't think josh smith is that good of a basketball player despite his gaudy numbers.
9 yrs later he still doesn't box out, still can't shoot and he's still a poor decision maker.
if tony embraces the physicality of big man play, i think his ceiling is higher than the player that josh smith is today.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
User avatar
EB2
Rookie
Posts: 1,197
And1: 50
Joined: Aug 17, 2012
Location: Parts Known
       

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#15 » by EB2 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Does anyone have an idea of how Mitchell's defense will translate to the NBA at the 4 spot?
User avatar
TheGoodDoctor
Head Coach
Posts: 6,278
And1: 4,490
Joined: Jul 23, 2012
Location: Jurassic Park
 

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#16 » by TheGoodDoctor » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:34 pm

Powerforward.

His ballhandling skills and jumper aren't good enough to be a SF.
#MLSEHIRETZ ------ HOLD UP, HOLD UP-------#WETHENORTH.
Image
User avatar
JimboSlice
Senior
Posts: 601
And1: 2
Joined: Mar 01, 2012

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#17 » by JimboSlice » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Power Forward for sure. He's got almost none of the tools to be an effective 3, and all of them except height to be effective at the 4 (which I never thought mattered as much as wingspan anyway). As far as his defense, I think it will definitely translate to the next level. Unlike a good majority of shot blocking college bigs that don't have the same success at the pro level, he does a great job of staying down on pump fakes and challenging around the rim with foot positioning as opposed to his hands even at this early a stage in his development. He also isn't relying on height, unlike most college shot blocking bigs, and is instead relying strictly on positioning, timing, and freak athleticism to put up very solid numbers despite being undersized.
Thou Shalt Not Shave
User avatar
ManualRam
RealGM
Posts: 23,291
And1: 2,665
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
     

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#18 » by ManualRam » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:19 pm

this kid is doing what i hope he wouldnt do and is ruining his stock because of it.
rebounds are down and 3's are up. yep, this kid is trying to show his "SF" skills.
time to push him down my big board.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
User avatar
EB2
Rookie
Posts: 1,197
And1: 50
Joined: Aug 17, 2012
Location: Parts Known
       

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#19 » by EB2 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:42 pm

ManualRam wrote:this kid is doing what i hope he wouldnt do and is ruining his stock because of it.
rebounds are down and 3's are up. yep, this kid is trying to show his "SF" skills.
time to push him down my big board.

It's weird. His turnovers per game are down too, so he is improving his game somewhat.
User avatar
EddieJonesFan
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,909
And1: 239
Joined: Apr 19, 2009

Re: Tony Mitchell, UNT. Small Forward or Power Forward? 

Post#20 » by EddieJonesFan » Sat Dec 1, 2012 7:33 pm

ManualRam wrote:this kid is doing what i hope he wouldnt do and is ruining his stock because of it.
rebounds are down and 3's are up. yep, this kid is trying to show his "SF" skills.
time to push him down my big board.


That's what it seems like all the young players are doing now, they all want to be perimeter players. It just isn't sexy to play down low. Basketball is moving in the wrong direction.

Return to NBA Draft


Users browsing this forum: No registered users