Anthony Bennett

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,902

Anthony Bennett 

Post#1 » by LV-Suns » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:26 am

Seeing all the freshmen threads, thought I would make a thread of a local product. He was rated the best PF in the country coming out of HS, proably the best recruit UNLV landed since Larry Johnson. He has looked very good in just the 2 games he has played. Very aggressive and strong, and rage out to the 3 pt line. Do you guys see him getting drafted high in the draft? If so, where does he rank next to other freshmen.
I Dont wanna be here
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Anthony Bennett 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:53 am

i personally have him in the late teens. he's a space eater and he has pretty decent length for a PF, but he's still a 6'7 PF and i don't think he'll ever have the quickness to guard the SF position.
as an nba prospect i'd probably have him around 9th in his class behind: shabazz, steven adams, noel, poythress, goodwin, marcus smart, glenn robinson III and rodney purvis.
the only thing that disappointed me when i saw him in prep school was that he didn't use his strength, leaping ability and aggression to impose himself more on the defense. he also wasn't as dominant on the glass as he could've been.

edit: i'd have him behind ben mclemore too if you consider him a freshman
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
LV-Suns
Analyst

Post#3 » by LV-Suns » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:55 am

Just gonna bump this thread since there hasn't been much buzz about him.

He put up 25/14 in the absence of Moser today on the road. I haven't seen a more dominant player at UNLV since early 90s, and his is only a freshmen. I can't imagine many freshmen outperforming him at this point.
I Dont wanna be here
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#4 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:11 am

How's Bennett's post game? I know he can shoot it from the outside, and is pretty athletic for a guy his size, but if he has a legit inside game to supplement that, then Bennett could go pretty high in the draft.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:50 am

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:How's Bennett's post game? I know he can shoot it from the outside, and is pretty athletic for a guy his size, but if he has a legit inside game to supplement that, then Bennett could go pretty high in the draft.

i don't think he projects to be a guy who you can just throw the ball down to and expect him to go to work. at the college level he can establish position for quick jump hooks and turnarounds, but nothing too elaborate.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
MonkeyBallZJr
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#6 » by MonkeyBallZJr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:47 am

Anyone have a clip of that posterizing dunk he had today against UC-Berkeley?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#7 » by No-Man » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:09 am

Monster game tongiht.

I want to see his measurements bt if he get a 9'0 reach or simlar, he could success, hes better than Paul Millsap.

Top10 prospect, I believe he would stay at least two years at UNLV but right now... I'm not so sure.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:07 am

Fischella wrote:Monster game tongiht.

I want to see his measurements bt if he get a 9'0 reach or simlar, he could success, hes better than Paul Millsap.

Top10 prospect, I believe he would stay at least two years at UNLV but right now... I'm not so sure.

The thing about his height to keep in mind - he's got a really short neck. So, even though he's only 6'7, his shoulders are probably at the same height as an average 6'9 guy. I agree - his reach is more important, and we already know he's got a good wingspan. And playing without Moser probably helped - clearing space for him to operate closer to the basket.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
No-Man
RealGM

Post#9 » by No-Man » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:34 am

I think he could be 6'8 on shoes, with a 7'1-2 wingspan plus 9'0 reach or similar, that size is competitive for a PF, he's strong and has a nice stroke too, he could success.

He isnt a monster like Brand was, but he has tools anyway.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#10 » by ATTL » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 am

How is it he's not considered a top 100 prospect at draft express?
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#11 » by Gilles » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:54 pm

niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,212

Post#12 » by niQ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:28 pm

He's having one of the better freshmen seasons.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#13 » by thamadkant » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:28 am

Bennett may be only 6'7, but 7'1 wingspan (close to 8'6 standing reach, from the looks of it).... with his width, energy, aggression, attitude towards the ball..... why cant he be as effective as Blake Griffin?

Blake is 2 inches taller, but 2.5 inches shorter wingspan...

both have the same aggression towards the rim (dunks it when they are within reach, even traffic).

Heck look at 6'8 Kenneth Faried..... making it big time in the league..

Barkley, Larry Johnson etc..... were also under size height wise but played bigger because of width, length and aggression..

Some will say Maxiell as his ceiling... but I see that as his floor.... even Clarence Weatherspoon and Corliss Willamson at worst... IMO.

If Bennett carries his aggression, continues to improve his soft shooting touch from mid-range to behind the arc....

we may be seeing a Larry Johnson type player in the league..... or gulp.... a Barkley-lite.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#14 » by ManualRam » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:11 pm

the only comparison with maxiell is body type and leaping ability. that's it. the fact that bennett has a jumper should eliminate any other comparison with maxiell in terms of game.

i don't think bennett has the all around game, especially the post and post passing game to draw any comparison with LJ or barkley. both those guys were more agile and better ball-handlers than bennett was as well.
bennett's more of a guy who finishes plays as opposed to a guy who creates plays. i also don't think bennett is nearly as good of a rebounder as those 2 were.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
No-Man
RealGM

Post#15 » by No-Man » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Right now he's above McAdoo and Mitchell, only Zeller is higher than him between the PFs.
LV-Suns
Analyst

Post#16 » by LV-Suns » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:15 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioOQIvjYR58&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
His dunk against Cal.
I Dont wanna be here
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#17 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:27 pm

ManualRam wrote:the only comparison with maxiell is body type and leaping ability. that's it. the fact that bennett has a jumper should eliminate any other comparison with maxiell in terms of game.

i don't think bennett has the all around game, especially the post and post passing game to draw any comparison with LJ or barkley. both those guys were more agile and better ball-handlers than bennett was as well.
bennett's more of a guy who finishes plays as opposed to a guy who creates plays. i also don't think bennett is nearly as good of a rebounder as those 2 were.

Do you think he doesn't have good rebounding instincts? I mean, with that big frame that he has, he should be able to notch 10+ RPG easily in the NBA, no?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#18 » by ManualRam » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:06 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:
ManualRam wrote:the only comparison with maxiell is body type and leaping ability. that's it. the fact that bennett has a jumper should eliminate any other comparison with maxiell in terms of game.

Do you think he doesn't have good rebounding instincts? I mean, with that big frame that he has, he should be able to notch 10+ RPG easily in the NBA, no?

maybe he's just used to relying on his physical tools, but i don't see the relentlessness on the boards that i see out of really good rebounders. i also don't think he's as physical as his build would lead you to believe.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant
And1: 382

Post#19 » by Jersey Generals » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:45 pm

LV-Suns wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioOQIvjYR58&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
His dunk against Cal.

I actually think his dunk at the end of the Portland game was better.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#20 » by thamadkant » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:42 am

Barkley has nice ball handling for a big guy.. but is he really a big guy? 6'6... if anything he has handle for a big framed guy, he has similar dribbling distance as most wing men.

I think Bennett can develop a decent enough ball handle...
against PFs.... I dont see how Bennett cannot dribble around them.... look at Dirk putting the ball down against PFs easily because of his mobility... Bennett can use that to his advantage.

I really see a 15ppg 10ppg 1.5bpg aggressive PF/SF player.... perhaps a "thick" Shawn Marion....

Return to NBA Draft