Is Kelly Olynyk playing himself into the lottery?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 974

Re: Is Kelly Olynyk playing himself into the lottery? 

Post#41 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Feb 2, 2013 4:19 pm

I'm coming around to Olnyk. Watched a recent game, and he looked like he had some good potential anchoring for a team in the low post.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#42 » by Leolovinliberal » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:59 am

The Olynyk Clinic with 26/9. The guy is so skilled for a big man, it's crazy.
FootballFan33
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#43 » by FootballFan33 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:59 pm

If he was black he'd be a #1 overall pick for sure.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#44 » by Ruzious » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:16 pm

I still have him as late lotto. He's not as fluid an athlete as guys like Zeller, Plumlee and Len are (for the benefit of the previous poster) - and it shows when you watch him play defense.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Leolovinliberal
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#45 » by Leolovinliberal » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Ruzious wrote:I still have him as late lotto. He's not as fluid an athlete as guys like Zeller, Plumlee and Len are (for the benefit of the previous poster) - and it shows when you watch him play defense.

WHAT?!?!?!?!

The guy routinely makes amazingly graceful plays from the top of the key to the hoop with an array of advanced moves. Last night against USF they were all on display.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,001

Post#46 » by UGA Hayes » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:00 pm

Yeah I think it would be wierd not to like him due to his offensive talent, hes damned skilled in that area and in a way that it would be hard to believe it wouldn't translate to the pro. For me, like a posted earlier its more of aquestion of how much he helps the team in the non-scoring areas. I would be surprised if he didn't go in the lottery at this point.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#47 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Leolovinliberal wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I still have him as late lotto. He's not as fluid an athlete as guys like Zeller, Plumlee and Len are (for the benefit of the previous poster) - and it shows when you watch him play defense.

WHAT?!?!?!?!

The guy routinely makes amazingly graceful plays from the top of the key to the hoop with an array of advanced moves. Last night against USF they were all on display.

It's funny how those graceful plays only happen on the offensive end. Right?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#48 » by whatchaknow » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:21 am

He sort of reminds me of Al Jefferson in an interesting way. Mostly becasue of how clever of a scorer he is and the shooting touch inside and out.
crgreen
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#49 » by crgreen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:07 pm

Could see an Alvan Adams type career for Olynyk.
Sterling_Archer
Rookie
And1: 47

Post#50 » by Sterling_Archer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:21 am

Olynyk is a definite lottery selection at 7 feet tall he is a very efficient scorer and he does it in a number of different ways. Offensively I think he has everything you could ask for. He lacks defensively and is not a great athlete so maybe like a brook Lopez(I don't know too much of his defensive game) or maybe a taller Kevin Love
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#51 » by Johnlac1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Sterling_Archer wrote:Olynyk is a definite lottery selection at 7 feet tall he is a very efficient scorer and he does it in a number of different ways. Offensively I think he has everything you could ask for. He lacks defensively and is not a great athlete so maybe like a brook Lopez(I don't know too much of his defensive game) or maybe a taller Kevin Love

You're right, he's not a great athlete, but he is a very good athlete for his size. And a very skilled one. I'll take a skilled good athlete over a lesser skilled, better athlete any time. He's more like Pao Gasol than Love. Love is a much better rebounder than Olynyk. Actually better than just about anyone. But I like the Gasol comparison better than the Love one. Even though Gasol is also a better rebounder than Olynyk, Olynyk has the quick feet to be able to improve his defense, but he'll have to work hard on his rebounding. And I think Olynyk is an overall better athlete than either Love or Gasol.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#52 » by ManualRam » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:44 pm

how much of his offensive game do you guys think will translate? i personally don't think his post game will outside of quick posts. i think he'll be more of a big who plays in space. movement, PnR, PnP and spot ups. that's what i see his game being at the next level. i don't think he'll be able to body and hold his position vs NBA bigs like he does vs weak WCC bigs. no mention of his length either, which is not good for C.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by Johnlac1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:57 pm

ManualRam wrote:how much of his offensive game do you guys think will translate? i personally don't think his post game will outside of quick posts. i think he'll be more of a big who plays in space. movement, PnR, PnP and spot ups. that's what i see his game being at the next level. i don't think he'll be able to body and hold his position vs NBA bigs like he does vs weak WCC bigs. no mention of his length either, which is not good for C.

I agree. Olynyk will probably get his points in the flow of the game. He won't outmuscle anyone in the pros. He seems to a very good knowledge of how to play the game. That's one thing that often gets omitted by many fans in judging how a player will do. Plus, if he can come into some team's training camp next year and drill the NBA three, his prospects of getting playing time his rookie year should rise dramatically.
23-7
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#54 » by 23-7 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:11 pm

is he better then BJ Mullens?
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by Johnlac1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:15 am

23-7 wrote:is he better then BJ Mullens?

Definitely a smarter player. The only thing Mullens does better right now is rebound, block the occasional shot, and shoot the 3 ball. Mullens is the better athlete, but a good-very good athlete who is smart and skilled beats physically better-not as smart-less skilled athlete. Does that answer your question? And thanks for noticing my past posts. Keep paying attention, and you'll go places.
derriko
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#56 » by derriko » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:10 am

If Austin Daye could go just a pick or two outside the lottery, then Olynyk can easily be in the lottery. Hes much more refined, has a little less range, but plays his size unlike Daye. I don't know if Olynyk will be a starter ever, but a solid 3rd big off the bench is not a bad pick at all in the 12-15 range
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,976

Post#57 » by PerkinsFor3 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Luis Scola type of player?
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by Johnlac1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:00 am

loot wrote:Luis Scola type of player?

Easily a bigger, better athlete than Luis. Luis has more moves than a crooked, bicycle tire, but he runs like he's got bags of cement tied to his legs. Luis is also a better outside shooter than Olynyk, but Olynyk's size, athleticism, and base of skills makes his potential better than Scola's. Again Olynyk compares better to Pao Gasol.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#59 » by MalonesElbows » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:31 pm

I don't see him lotto worthy. His athleticism is below average, and has fairly short arms. Putting the ball on the floor doesn't mean you are athletic and he'll have the ball ripped from him if he tries that in the NBA. His turnovers are already at 2.2 in 25 minutes, high for a big man. He rebounds about 6 a game, terrible for a 7 footer, a clear indication he doesn't like contact and gets pushed around a lot. Not a fan.
strudel forever
Senior
And1: 294

Post#60 » by strudel forever » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:40 pm

MalonesElbows wrote: He rebounds about 6 a game, terrible for a 7 footer, a clear indication he doesn't like contact and gets pushed around a lot. Not a fan.

7 rebounds in 25 minutes isn't terrible. For comparison, Bargnani couldn't average 7 rebounds in almost 40 minutes. Now that's terrible. He gets almost 20 % of all defensive boards, and you do see him at least make an effort to crash the offensive glass. College rebounding numbers do tend to translate pretty well to the NBA as well. He's not a standout rebounder, but he's not going to kill you in that area.

Not liking contact is kind of nonsense. This guy clearly loves to play in the post and is one of the best post players in college basketball.

Return to NBA Draft