Should Adetokoubo be a top10 pick just based on potential?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Re: Should Adetokoubo be a top10 pick just based on potentia 

Post#61 » by King d » Sat May 4, 2013 5:18 pm

PTPaQ wrote:
pohani komarac wrote:
PTPaQ wrote:Enormous potential but I would really need to get him to the states ASAP so that he could become more apart of the culture and develop with better competition and NBA facilities/programs. I would'nt feel comfortable with a dragged out iffy iffy "i'll stay over here for a few years" attitude. If you watch him on the court he doesnt really know the game of basketball and i can't have him continue that path, his handles, athletisism and coordination is incredibly rare but he HAS to be motivated to convert to a professional for his potential to be realized.

better competition???

where in USA not named NBA???

He signed for Spanish club Zaragoza and will play ACB legue, besides NBA he can't get much better competition. Even Greek 2nd division is not bad competition for his age, not anything worse then NCAA

Lol i was not suggesting bringing him over to the states to NOT play in the NBA...

Anyways, that's all fine but if I'm investing in this kid in the top 10 then I don't want 3 years wasted of him averaging 7.9 PPG in a European league, not improving physically and having culture shock when he lands in the USA. He is at very critical stage right now and is ripe for the molding, I understand this is sometimes not how things work, and not as simple as it may seem, thats just MY preference if I am using a top 10 pick. If I'm a team in the late lottery/late 1st or a contender that can afford a stash it may be different.

are you pretending to say players only improve when they play in the nba and can't improve in Europe?
Because that would be just stupid
PTPaQ
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#62 » by PTPaQ » Mon May 6, 2013 4:50 am

King d wrote:
PTPaQ wrote:
pohani komarac wrote:

better competition???

where in USA not named NBA???

He signed for Spanish club Zaragoza and will play ACB legue, besides NBA he can't get much better competition. Even Greek 2nd division is not bad competition for his age, not anything worse then NCAA

Lol i was not suggesting bringing him over to the states to NOT play in the NBA...

Anyways, that's all fine but if I'm investing in this kid in the top 10 then I don't want 3 years wasted of him averaging 7.9 PPG in a European league, not improving physically and having culture shock when he lands in the USA. He is at very critical stage right now and is ripe for the molding, I understand this is sometimes not how things work, and not as simple as it may seem, thats just MY preference if I am using a top 10 pick. If I'm a team in the late lottery/late 1st or a contender that can afford a stash it may be different.

are you pretending to say players only improve when they play in the nba and can't improve in Europe?

No.
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#63 » by Beorn » Thu May 9, 2013 2:09 pm

Adetokubo brothers got their Greek passports today, so they'll be eligible for pre-draft workouts next month.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#64 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 9, 2013 5:27 pm

Apparently he changed his name on the passport to Giannis Antetokounmpo. Looks like NBA will have its "Scrabble" nickname player
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#65 » by boogie-reke » Thu May 9, 2013 5:53 pm

Toko?
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#66 » by Dr Positivity » Thu May 9, 2013 6:17 pm

The Tokoun Greek guy
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#67 » by Dr Positivity » Sat May 18, 2013 10:28 pm

If you want to see Giannis on a television camera (I consider that important for judging athleticism, for frame of reference reasons) as far as I can tell, this is the best it's going to get. Don't bother watching anything before 2:21:00 when the 4th quarter starts, he barely gets in before then albeit Thanasis does and has a good game if you're interested in him. Looks like Thanasis is the elite athlete of the family though I'm unsure whether he has game to add to it, or if he's just a dunkbot

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IAIliammfg[/youtube]

Really like the Batum comparison physically for Giannis. Not the most explosive player but has the length and fluidity. However Batum's body and feel for the game, but with an unproven jumpshot, doesn't sound that appealing as a lotto pick to me
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,311

Post#68 » by Nuntius » Sat May 18, 2013 11:45 pm

In the video that you posted, Mufasa, we can also see another NBA draftee. Kostas Papanikolaou (picked by the Knicks in the second round of the 2012 draft) is playing in Antetokounmpo's team and wearing number #11.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#69 » by willywazza » Sun May 19, 2013 7:39 am

I think the word 'potential' is so enigmatic. Lets face it, kids are getting drafted high based on this premise.

I wouldn't be surprised if a team picks him up late in the first round. Stash him overseas for a season or two.
BLT
Junior
And1: 6

Post#70 » by BLT » Sun May 19, 2013 3:24 pm

willywazza wrote:I think the word 'potential' is so enigmatic. Lets face it, kids are getting drafted high based on this premise.

I wouldn't be surprised if a team picks him up late in the first round. Stash him overseas for a season or two.

late first?? hell go in the mid 1st, perhaps even late lottery.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#71 » by EMG518 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Top 20, not top 10
SixerFever215
Pro Prospect
And1: 78

Post#72 » by SixerFever215 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:00 pm

I would pick this kid after the top 20, he's not a top 10 dart pick to me because he do sent do anything good. There's no way he can guard Small fowards in the NBA dosent have the foot speed at all. His handle is just OK, and so is his shot. Yes he does have tools and he does have size but it might take him 4- 5 years to bring it all together
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#73 » by Greek » Mon May 20, 2013 9:52 am

Next Saturday ET1 (Greek tv chan) will show a crucial game of his team 27/4, 16.00 +2GMT. I guess that if anyone wants to watch the game it will be available link on the internet.
All Net
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#74 » by All Net » Mon May 20, 2013 12:42 pm

Greek wrote:Next Saturday ET1 (Greek tv chan) will show a crucial game of his team 27/4, 16.00 +2GMT. I guess that if anyone wants to watch the game it will be available link on the internet.

His team's season ended quite awhile ago.
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#75 » by Greek » Mon May 20, 2013 6:44 pm

All Net wrote:
Greek wrote:Next Saturday ET1 (Greek tv chan) will show a crucial game of his team 27/4, 16.00 +2GMT. I guess that if anyone wants to watch the game it will be available link on the internet.

His team's season ended quite awhile ago.

You are right...my mistake...
chicagobullz48
Junior
And1: 10

Post#76 » by chicagobullz48 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:59 pm

is it me or would it be smart for a lottery team to take him? Especialy considering the draft next year.You can get something valuable that wont contribute for like 3 years.This leaves a team like the bobcats with giannis while still sucking enough to get wiggins maybe.Or it would be even doper to somehow draft giannis and nerlens noel.Neither will impact next year for two different reason.meanwhile you end with nerlens,giannis and wiggins or parker.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#77 » by Dr Positivity » Mon May 20, 2013 11:15 pm

Yeah but the teams who are actually tanking, are probably picking too high for Giannis? Teams like the Pistons, Wizards, Timberwolves, Blazers which are as high as Giannis would go, are trying to make the playoffs next year. With Noel the argument that the Magic, Suns, etc. may see him sitting out as a benefit to their ruthless tank next year, has some weight, though I'm still not a big fan of it, considering there are other ways to bottom out like trading all of the veterans and "precautionary" sitting out players
chicagobullz48
Junior
And1: 10

Post#78 » by chicagobullz48 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:26 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Yeah but the teams who are actually tanking, are probably picking too high for Giannis? Teams like the Pistons, Wizards, Timberwolves, Blazers which are as high as Giannis would go, are trying to make the playoffs next year. With Noel the argument that the Magic, Suns, etc. may see him sitting out as a benefit to their ruthless tank next year, has some weight, though I'm still not a big fan of it, considering there are other ways to bottom out like trading all of the veterans and "precautionary" sitting out players

Well i think if you want to get something but still tank nerlens or giannis is it.Either grab one of em or both because they wont be improving any team next year.It would be a genius plan to get one of them and still end up with wiggins or parker.But you're right all of those team are trying to grab the missing piece this year and take off.I think the blazers and wizrds have chance to make the playoffs but the cats and pistons need to lock in on wiggins imo.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,148

Post#79 » by TB » Tue May 21, 2013 9:40 pm

Reminds me a ton of Anthony Randolph during his Warriors days.

The common problem with a 6'9+ guy with apparent guard skills is that they still need to be refined if you really want that player doing any sort of playmaking or initiating. For example, people saw Randolphs handles and freaked out about how he was one of the best dribbling 6'10 guys ever. But to put it in perspective, his handle wasn't even as good as Monta Ellis... but it LOOKED amazing seeing a PF dribbling down the court.

Point is, this guy CAN dribble, but its ugly and sloppy. Can shoot, but its inconsistent and sloppy. I still say he is worth a top 15 pick because he could become a great player, but it's a lot of skills that need to be harnessed to an NBA level.
pantalones
Junior
And1: 220

Re: Should Adetokoubo be a top10 pick just based on potential? 

Post#80 » by pantalones » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:33 pm

Theses are always fun to look back at several years later.

Return to NBA Draft