Who will be the best player to come from this draft?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Re: Who will be the best player to come from this draft? 

Post#41 » by Brapman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:17 pm

Any team in the league would be thrilled to have Giannis. Period. End of story. Any other opinion to the contrary is pure silliness.
Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Post#42 » by Brapman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:21 pm

I don't know who the best guy from this potentially outstanding (at the top 11 draft) will be. I could see any of Towns, Porzingis, Mudiay, Johnson, Hezonja or Turner being that guy. I'm not as high on Okafor, Russell, Winslow or WCS - although I think all of them could be quite good.

Here's a post from me today on the Pistons board regarding, Stanley Johnson:

I'm going to add one extremely hopeful quality I think he brings:

The ability to move a half or full-second before most other players move. This guy thinks the game faster than normal guys. Great BB IQ with the neurological and reflexological speed to move into advantageous position combined with the Ron Artest like strength to do something about it that results in him dominating that moment.

I hope that post makes sense. What I'm seeing reminds me of stuff I used to love reading from Arnie Kandor interviews where he describes working on neurological and reflex development.

I'm not sure Stanley is an elite athlete - I think he's at least a click below that level. But, I think what we're watching and seeing from him is more important than his pure athletic measures. He's the strongest SF in the league right now, aside from LeBron (when he plays there); he's as competitive as any player in the league; his BB !Q and ability to translate that into anticipatory, fast, violent movement that puts him in a superior position to other players seems to be at elite level, and his skill level is outstanding so he can do a whole lot when he gains those positional advantages. His strength (which is highly functional - he knows how to use it) and his wingspan, allows the Pistons to use him on switches and defending pick and rolls - including defending guys in the post to prevent them from backing him down.

I'm anxious to see how he stacks up against high quality NBA players right out of the gate. And, he just turned 19 years old, which is incredible compared to his demonstrated skill level and how freaky strong he is - and he's going to get a lot stronger.

I still have a level of cautiousness about him, since I want to test my theory that he's a half-step faster into movement than most other guys, including NBA starters. But, I suspect that he's going to develop into an elite NBA SF. I think he's going to be a top 20 player in this league, in time.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,276

Post#43 » by brackdan70 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:51 pm

Sign here
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,066

Post#44 » by OrlMagic05 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:07 pm

I'm not saying Giannis is a scrub, but I see him being a Lamar Odom type of player. I think Noel, Oladipo and Rudy have a higher ceiling. I would really like to hear who you guys would compare Noel, Oladipo & Giannis to.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#45 » by No-Man » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:14 pm

I think Giannis is going to be significantly better than Odom during his prime, Noel is a good player, I think he could peak at Chandler/Noah type of impact in best case scenario.
Oladipo is average, remains to be seen if he is ever going to be an efficient enough G to warrant shots and points in a competitive team, I think he could be an All Star one day, but not a regular, solid all around career, but not better than Giannis.
Gobert, difficult to gauge, if keeps improving at this rate he very well might, he is the only one that I can see maybe, been a better, but he is similar as of today and two years older.
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Post#46 » by GANGSTERDOG » Mon Aug 3, 2015 9:34 am

Such a long post for the wrong thread lol
Brapman wrote:I don't know who the best guy from this potentially outstanding (at the top 11 draft) will be. I could see any of Towns, Porzingis, Mudiay, Johnson, Hezonja or Turner being that guy. I'm not as high on Okafor, Russell, Winslow or WCS - although I think all of them could be quite good.

Here's a post from me today on the Pistons board regarding, Stanley Johnson:

I'm going to add one extremely hopeful quality I think he brings:

The ability to move a half or full-second before most other players move. This guy thinks the game faster than normal guys. Great BB IQ with the neurological and reflexological speed to move into advantageous position combined with the Ron Artest like strength to do something about it that results in him dominating that moment.

I hope that post makes sense. What I'm seeing reminds me of stuff I used to love reading from Arnie Kandor interviews where he describes working on neurological and reflex development.

I'm not sure Stanley is an elite athlete - I think he's at least a click below that level. But, I think what we're watching and seeing from him is more important than his pure athletic measures. He's the strongest SF in the league right now, aside from LeBron (when he plays there); he's as competitive as any player in the league; his BB !Q and ability to translate that into anticipatory, fast, violent movement that puts him in a superior position to other players seems to be at elite level, and his skill level is outstanding so he can do a whole lot when he gains those positional advantages. His strength (which is highly functional - he knows how to use it) and his wingspan, allows the Pistons to use him on switches and defending pick and rolls - including defending guys in the post to prevent them from backing him down.

I'm anxious to see how he stacks up against high quality NBA players right out of the gate. And, he just turned 19 years old, which is incredible compared to his demonstrated skill level and how freaky strong he is - and he's going to get a lot stronger.

I still have a level of cautiousness about him, since I want to test my theory that he's a half-step faster into movement than most other guys, including NBA starters. But, I suspect that he's going to develop into an elite NBA SF. I think he's going to be a top 20 player in this league, in time.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#47 » by HornetJail » Mon Aug 3, 2015 1:35 pm

My top 7 would be Giannis, Gobert, Oladipo, Noel (if he remains healthy), Zeller, Adams, and Shabazz. There is a drop off after that.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#48 » by doordoor123 » Tue Aug 4, 2015 2:54 pm

Giannis is going to be so good it's not even close.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,110

Post#49 » by J-Ves » Tue Aug 4, 2015 7:14 pm

Giannis, Gobert, Dipo, and Noel are the best but I think Porter makes the jump this year. His defense is what he can hang his hat on and he's shown to be able to shoot fairly well. With Pierce gone he should be starting and he tends to play better along side Wall. He's a good rebounder, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him at PF when the Wiz aren't going against larger 4s.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
majortom71
Starter
And1: 1,186

Post#50 » by majortom71 » Fri Aug 7, 2015 1:45 pm

J-Ves wrote:Giannis, Gobert, Dipo, and Noel are the best but I think Porter makes the jump this year. His defense is what he can hang his hat on and he's shown to be able to shoot fairly well. With Pierce gone he should be starting and he tends to play better along side Wall. He's a good rebounder, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him at PF when the Wiz aren't going against larger 4s.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAqlanK8BMI[/youtube]
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,110

Post#51 » by J-Ves » Fri Aug 7, 2015 5:33 pm

majortom71 wrote:
J-Ves wrote:Giannis, Gobert, Dipo, and Noel are the best but I think Porter makes the jump this year. His defense is what he can hang his hat on and he's shown to be able to shoot fairly well. With Pierce gone he should be starting and he tends to play better along side Wall. He's a good rebounder, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him at PF when the Wiz aren't going against larger 4s.

Its ironic that most of Realgm knows Otto for that comical defensive gaff when defense is probably the strongest part of his game. Oh well, it will take time to shake that perception but I have confidence hes going to have a big year.
majortom71
Starter

Post#52 » by majortom71 » Sat Aug 8, 2015 2:44 am

J-Ves wrote:
majortom71 wrote:

Its ironic that most of Realgm knows Otto for that comical defensive gaff when defense is probably the strongest part of his game. Oh well, it will take time to shake that perception but I have confidence hes going to have a big year.

Yea but it makes me wonder how a guy known for his defense slips up that bad! Anyway it that video showed me his lack of focus at least in that game.
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#53 » by damecurry » Sat Aug 8, 2015 5:16 am

majortom71 wrote:
J-Ves wrote:
majortom71 wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAqlanK8BMI[/youtube]

Yea but it makes me wonder how a guy known for his defense slips up that bad! Anyway it that video showed me his lack of focus at least in that game.

Sorry but I think this is really dumb, he's a young kid and it was one moment. Sure it looks bad but I'm sure players make mistakes all the time that are just as costly and significant as this that aren't quite as obvious and get this kind of attention. He lost focus in a big moment, that doesn't mean anything more than someone happening to hit an impressive shot at a big moment. That doesn't mean they're clutch, it just means they got lucky. This doesn't mean he has focus issues and will be prone to huge defensive lapses, it just means it happened once.
majortom71
Starter

Post#54 » by majortom71 » Sat Aug 8, 2015 6:04 am

damecurry wrote:
majortom71 wrote:
J-Ves wrote:Its ironic that most of Realgm knows Otto for that comical defensive gaff when defense is probably the strongest part of his game. Oh well, it will take time to shake that perception but I have confidence hes going to have a big year.

Sorry but I think this is really dumb, he's a young kid and it was one moment. Sure it looks bad but I'm sure players make mistakes all the time that are just as costly and significant as this that aren't quite as obvious and get this kind of attention. He lost focus in a big moment, that doesn't mean anything more than someone happening to hit an impressive shot at a big moment. That doesn't mean they're clutch, it just means they got lucky. This doesn't mean he has focus issues and will be prone to huge defensive lapses, it just means it happened once.

I just found it funny that the guy is known for good defense and he makes such a boneheaded mistake playing defense.
It is only one game but it was epic fail imo. :lol:
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#55 » by damecurry » Sat Aug 8, 2015 6:47 am

majortom71 wrote:
damecurry wrote:
majortom71 wrote:Yea but it makes me wonder how a guy known for his defense slips up that bad! Anyway it that video showed me his lack of focus at least in that game.

I just found it funny that the guy is known for good defense and he makes such a boneheaded mistake playing defense.

I feel like we're speaking different languages.
The kid was 21 years old and it is one, literally one instant. A fairly significant one I grant you, but he was staring at the ball-handler got caught in a daze, could happen to anyone. If you had two dozen similar clips I would totally get the fanfair around it but anybody does stupid sh** every once in a while. Westbrook is known for driving to the hoop and scoring or making the right pass, that his whole offensive games and I saw dozens of times where he drives solo against two bigs just waiting for him and throws it up wildly or basically just hands them the freaking ball. Doesn't mean he's a horrible offensive player with no BBIQ, doesn't mean he's not a top 10 possibly 5 player in the nba, just means he makes bonehead plays even at his forte. Just like every player does. I hate this type of cherry-picking and playing it up like it actually means something. It just makes zero logical sense.
majortom71
Starter

Post#56 » by majortom71 » Sat Aug 8, 2015 6:55 am

damecurry wrote:
majortom71 wrote:
damecurry wrote:Sorry but I think this is really dumb, he's a young kid and it was one moment. Sure it looks bad but I'm sure players make mistakes all the time that are just as costly and significant as this that aren't quite as obvious and get this kind of attention. He lost focus in a big moment, that doesn't mean anything more than someone happening to hit an impressive shot at a big moment. That doesn't mean they're clutch, it just means they got lucky. This doesn't mean he has focus issues and will be prone to huge defensive lapses, it just means it happened once.

I feel like we're speaking different languages.
The kid was 21 years old and it is one, literally one instant. A fairly significant one I grant you, but he was staring at the ball-handler got caught in a daze, could happen to anyone. If you had two dozen similar clips I would totally get the fanfair around it but anybody does stupid sh** every once in a while. Westbrook is known for driving to the hoop and scoring or making the right pass, that his whole offensive games and I saw dozens of times where he drives solo against two bigs just waiting for him and throws it up wildly or basically just hands them the freaking ball. Doesn't mean he's a horrible offensive player with no BBIQ, doesn't mean he's not a top 10 possibly 5 player in the nba, just means he makes bonehead plays even at his forte. Just like every player does. I hate this type of cherry-picking and playing it up like it actually means something. It just makes zero logical sense.

Here I'll make it easy for you.
He plain sucked out there in that clip, if you are known for your defense that's something you don't get caught doing.
Did you understand my language?
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#57 » by Goner » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:35 pm

majortom71 wrote:Here I'll make it easy for you.
He plain sucked out there in that clip, if you are known for your defense that's something you don't get caught doing.

Here, I'll make it easy for you.
You don't judge players by their extreme performances, you judge them by their mean performance.
JR Smith can heat up as well as any player in the league. If you were to watch his highlights, you would think he is a top 3 player. That obviously isn't the case as most of the time he is a garden-variety chucker.
The mean performance is the best estimator of skill level.
Judging a player on their highlights (or lowlights) is silly.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#58 » by Dcebucks11 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:43 pm

im excited to see him start this year. Wizards are gonna need him if they want to go far in the playoffs.. He was a great shooter in college so I expect some of that to carry over this year.
majortom71
Starter

Post#59 » by majortom71 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:20 am

Goner wrote:
majortom71 wrote:Here I'll make it easy for you.

Here, I'll make it easy for you.
You don't judge players by their extreme performances, you judge them by their mean performance.
JR Smith can heat up as well as any player in the league. If you were to watch his highlights, you would think he is a top 3 player. That obviously isn't the case as most of the time he is a garden-variety chucker.
The mean performance is the best estimator of skill level.
Judging a player on their highlights (or lowlights) is silly.

:sleep2:
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#60 » by kurtis48239 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:48 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS7nIxMCPT4[/youtube]

Kid is going to explode this year,kcp has all the tools,just needs to up his efficiencie.

Return to NBA Draft