Re: Biggest Sleeper for 2014 Draft? 

Post#301 » by KillMonger » Sat Mar 8, 2014 2:38 pm

Nik Stauskas
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#302 » by Talent Chaser » Sat Mar 8, 2014 5:13 pm

Jerrelle Benimon from Towson. 6'8" PF who leads Towson in every statistical category and is 17th in KenPom's POY ratings. He was at Georgetown for 2 years and then transferred to Towson, turned them from a 1 win program to a .500 program. This guy is Royce White without the anxiety problems. A stretch 4 that can out quick anyone he's guarding due to his foot speed and ball handling ability. I found out about him via Deadspin. I can't believe this guy is nowhere to be found on any mock drafts. More about his play is in this article- http://deadsp.in/OadSOen
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#303 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 8, 2014 6:13 pm

Trevor Releford deserves a look - even moreso than his brother Travis did last year. Yeah, he's not flashy and only 6', but he's stocky strong and apparently has a 6'6 wingspan. And he's productive and efficient. He can at least be Shelvyn Mack as a 2nd rounder.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,045

Post#304 » by UGA Hayes » Sat Mar 8, 2014 11:15 pm

He isn't going to declare but the more I see of Perry Ellis the more I think he is drastically underrated
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#305 » by ManualRam » Sun Mar 9, 2014 10:12 am

jarnell stokes.

tennessee finished up conference season play on a roll, demolishing their opponents and stokes is a big reason why. his passing in recent games in particular has been fantastic, looking like one of the best post passers in the nation. the vols are funneling a lot of their offense through him, he's making the right reads and its resulting in easier shots.

i remember listening to an interview with stokes and his recent performances reminded me of what was said. he's a former state chess champion (which i find intriguing itself) and tries to incorporate a similar line of thinking when faced with different looks from the defense. this kid processes the game (which should not be as uncommon of a trait as it is) and you can see with the way he's attacking doubles now.
he also talked about how he's a former d-lineman in HS and he incorporates a lot of football moves to gain early position, like swim moves, different spins and rip throughs. for his opposition it's bad enough that he's a 265 lb immovable force with good feet, but he knows how to do his work early to get position. i always find it interesting when players talk about incorporating what they learned in other disciplines onto the basketball floor.

anyways, he'd get my vote for SEC POY. he was already good but has improved as the season has gone along.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,045

Post#306 » by UGA Hayes » Sun Mar 9, 2014 3:07 pm

ManualRam wrote:jarnell stokes.

tennessee finished up conference season play on a roll, demolishing their opponents and stokes is a big reason why. his passing in recent games in particular has been fantastic, looking like one of the best post passers in the nation. the vols are funneling a lot of their offense through him, he's making the right reads and its resulting in easier shots.

i remember listening to an interview with stokes and his recent performances reminded me of what was said. he's a former state chess champion (which i find intriguing itself) and tries to incorporate a similar line of thinking when faced with different looks from the defense. this kid processes the game (which should not be as uncommon of a trait as it is) and you can see with the way he's attacking doubles now.
he also talked about how he's a former d-lineman in HS and he incorporates a lot of football moves to gain early position, like swim moves, different spins and rip throughs. for his opposition it's bad enough that he's a 265 lb immovable force with good feet, but he knows how to do his work early to get position. i always find it interesting when players talk about incorporating what they learned in other disciplines onto the basketball floor.

anyways, he'd get my vote for SEC POY. he was already good but has improved as the season has gone along.

I'd forgotten about this guy. I wanted him to come out last year so Boston could steal him. I have to take a look at his numbers to see how he did.

Edit: yep his numbers are Damon good. And he Is youngish for a junior. Can't believe I forgot to check up on him. Wonder if he will declare since I think considered it last year
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#307 » by No-Man » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:39 am

Warren is beasting.
It's a shame he is not 6'11 instead of 6'8, his skillset is deadly for a PF, but he is not big enough too play that position at NBA level.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#308 » by jman3134 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:00 am

Uh, yeah he is.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#309 » by Notanoob » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:41 am

Can we compile a list of the guys mentioned here? Along with names of people posting them, just for future reference. Plus, I'm a Pistons fan and our 2nd round pick looks like our hope for the future. I'd appreciate having the names in one centralized post.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,527

Post#310 » by 165bows » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:25 am

Notanoob wrote:Can we compile a list of the guys mentioned here? Along with names of people posting them, just for future reference. Plus, I'm a Pistons fan and our 2nd round pick looks like our hope for the future. I'd appreciate having the names in one centralized post.

So who would be the biggest sleeper? The guy with the most mentions or the fewest? :lol:
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#311 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:35 am

UGA Hayes wrote:He isn't going to declare but the more I see of Perry Ellis the more I think he is drastically underrated

If he was more athletic he could be a lotto pick, IMO. Still don't see why he won't be a high level bench player for someone in the NBA.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#312 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:39 pm

UGA Hayes wrote:

I'd forgotten about this guy. I wanted him to come out last year so Boston could steal him. I have to take a look at his numbers to see how he did.

Edit: yep his numbers are Damon good. And he Is youngish for a junior. Can't believe I forgot to check up on him. Wonder if he will declare since I think considered it last year

Good point about his age - a lot of times in recent years, we've had 23 year old bigs putting up big numbers and getting perhaps a bit overrated. He just turned 20 in January, so I think there's more upside even though his stats haven't improved tremendously this season (not to diminish his stats - which are good).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,271

Post#313 » by brackdan70 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:28 pm

Big Boss wrote:Nik Stauskas

he is a top 20 pick...come on get me some real sleepers here :)
Sign here
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#314 » by ManualRam » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:03 pm

Ruzious wrote:
UGA Hayes wrote:

Good point about his age - a lot of times in recent years, we've had 23 year old bigs putting up big numbers and getting perhaps a bit overrated. He just turned 20 in January, so I think there's more upside even though his stats haven't improved tremendously this season (not to diminish his stats - which are good).

he graduated HS a year early and joined tennessee mid-season his freshman yr. that's why he's so young for his class. he's sophomore age with 3 yrs of college experience, which imo is another feather in his cap. i think he'll be ready to contribute immediately.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
DashGlobal
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#315 » by DashGlobal » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:41 am

Here is a real sleeper.

Jordan Bachynski

Dude is an elite rebounder and shotblocker with good size. I see him being a good role player off the bench or could be paired with a scoring PF in a starting role.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34VbqaN1dBI[/youtube]
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#316 » by jman3134 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:48 am

Also 24 years old.
DashGlobal
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#317 » by DashGlobal » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:56 am

jman3134 wrote:Also 24 years old.

yea i wouldnt be drafting him for any upside. ready made product ie defense and rebounds.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#318 » by karkinos » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:28 am

eron harris made some great strides this season
he's on nobody's board unfortunately
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#319 » by EMG518 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:39 am

Im watching San Diego State right now, Dwayne Polee II I would definitely take a chance on once clearing some of the quality guys in the second. I know he is 22 but he is really gifted physically and athletically. I would definitely take him and try to develop him. Could wind up with a home run in the second, I dont think I have ever seen his name anywhere before.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#320 » by No-Man » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:03 am

I love Winston from SDSU but he needs another year and tons of work in his jumpshot, the guy is a fantastic defender.

Cam Ridley will be a 1st round choice if he declares, in this class he is the 4th best Center, and next year, the depth at that position will be much better, maybe he should think about it.
He still needs work on his body, but he has tools that will be useful at the next level.

Return to NBA Draft