Noah Vonleh?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Noah Vonleh? 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:10 am

Seems like statistically he's one of the top 4 freshman this year, and watching him he seems to pass the eye test. It seems likely to me that we're looking at a possible top five in this draft of (in no order) Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Exum, Vonleh. What do you guys think?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Noah Vonleh? 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:22 am

i like vonleh, more so than say aaron gordon, but what makes you think he's a top 5 talent?
he's producing on the strength of his activity and length, but the rest of his game is pretty raw. he was billed as a supposed combo forward but he's playing more like a tristan thompson for the hoosiers.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#3 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:34 am

He's a PF - not a tweener. He's barely 18 and the size, length, and frame are there. His rebounding has been tremendous. I think the question is - Is he going to develop confidence in his offensive game and get tougher?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:37 am

ManualRam wrote:i like vonleh, more so than say aaron gordon, but what makes you think he's a top 5 talent?
he's producing on the strength of his activity and length, but the rest of his game is pretty raw. he was billed as a supposed combo forward but he's playing more like a tristan thompson for the hoosiers.

I'm saying that I think he could be, not that he is. I haven't watched enough of this draft class to make a statement like that. I just think he is an extremely fluid athlete for his size and that his production is off the charts for someone that has so much upside. He and Aaron Gordon are the two freshman that (at the moment) are looking poised to make a move high into the lottery.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#5 » by No-Man » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Trsitan Thompson si the right call, I agree with MR
I like him better than Gordon too, at least he's aware of his strong points and his weakness.
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#6 » by boogie-reke » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Being taller and longer then Tristan gives him a heads up - and while not really showing it with Indiana, I think his offensive skill-set right now is more advanced then Tristan aswell - if it's shooting, working in the post and driving, atleast from the bits and pieces I've got to see.

Don't know if he's top 5, though he might as the season progress and maybe his role expands - but he definitely should be inserted into the top 10.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#7 » by No-Man » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:01 pm

For me he's a late lotto pick.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#8 » by ManualRam » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:41 pm

late lotto is where i'd have him as well. very good physical tools. huge, soft hands, long arms as mentioned. he's also got a strong base as well. next time you watch him just look at his legs, they're cartoon like. he understands positioning, knows how to use his lower body to carve out space. his post game is basic, nothing flashy but he has a solid foundation. pretty patient with his touches and looks to wheel around defenders so he can use his extension. not crazy about his shot form though. he's tweaked his form a bit since HS, but it's still a push shot from in front of his forehead.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#9 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:38 pm

Fischella wrote:Trsitan Thompson si the right call, I agree with MR
I like him better than Gordon too, at least he's aware of his strong points and his weakness.

I'll agree with the Thompson comp - but with better physical tools.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#10 » by LloydFree » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:35 pm

By the end of the year, Noah Vonleh will be a top 8 pick. He'll start getting his buzz when Indiana plays Michigan and michigan State. Wish he played Kentucky this year. His body type will translate to pros better than Julius Randle's.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#11 » by SlowPaced » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:06 pm

This guy's potential is up there with the best guys from the class.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,172

Post#12 » by brackdan70 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:06 pm

pretty unimpressive against UCONN. I did not see the game but ugly stat line in just 10 minutes. looks like foul trouble. I like him though, see more of a late teen pick though unless he really turns it on.
Sign here
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#13 » by TurboTitan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:48 pm

lol :rockon:
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:26 am

Anyone else see the comparison to Lamar Odom?
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#15 » by Nolan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:47 am

He's got the tools to be a very good player. Soft hands, length, good motor and a high Bball IQ. I'd take him in the top 10.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#16 » by LloydFree » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:49 am

doordoor123 wrote:Anyone else see the comparison to Lamar Odom?

No. Lamar Odom was a ball handler, distributor in HS and as a Freshman. He was a point guard who could score. Vonleh is a post player. Nothing like Odom.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
yesno
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#17 » by yesno » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:05 am

There's a decent amount of footage of Vonleh doing a fair bit of ballhandling in high school. I also don't see the Lamar Odom comparison but he does seem like a reasonably versatile guy overall.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#18 » by ManualRam » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:19 am

most talented players handle the ball more than they should in HS. he's not a good ball-handler. especially when compared to someone like odom.
his handle is just ok for a PF. he's not much of a playmaker or passer either.

he's just solid. is fundamentally sound, plays hard, good motor, doesn't shy from contact, has good hands, understands positioning, has rudimentary footwork, knows how to wheel around defenders for shots. he's more of an opportunistic scorer on offense atm.
his inside out potential is just that, potential. he needs to improve as a shooter. the percentage on low volume from deep look great, but it's not an indicator of the type of shooter he is.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#19 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:30 pm

LloydFree wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Anyone else see the comparison to Lamar Odom?

No. Lamar Odom was a ball handler, distributor in HS and as a Freshman. He was a point guard who could score. Vonleh is a post player. Nothing like Odom.

John Henson?

*Originally, I wrote Henson, but I saw a youtube video that said "the next Lamar Odom" so I changed it to that. Its been too long since I've seen Odom play (I mean REALLY play).
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#20 » by dorkestra » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:17 pm

I'm being pessimistic, but might he be Jared Jeffries?
folks who quote what I wrote get choked

Return to NBA Draft