Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Re: Zach LaVine 

Post#321 » by jpengland » Mon Jun 9, 2014 8:09 pm

Notanoob wrote:
jpengland wrote:He is unlikely to play PG IMO, which means he is guarding 2s or 3s and i'm not sure quite how well he will translate as a lock down defender, he has a lot of tools but he is still a little undersized and he needs to improve his foot speed, he COULD be a great defender, he will probably be an above average defender at worst.

At worst? This guy has no idea how to play defense as it stands. Absolutely none. At worst he'll be James Harden on that end. There is a lot more to defense than physical tools especially, for non-centers. He can learn and improve, but his worst case scenario is atrocious, not "above average".

Ermmmm try rereading the post and quote.....
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,183

Post#322 » by Notanoob » Mon Jun 9, 2014 8:13 pm

jpengland wrote:
Notanoob wrote:
jpengland wrote:he COULD be a great defender, he will probably be an above average defender at worst.

At worst? This guy has no idea how to play defense as it stands. Absolutely none. At worst he'll be James Harden on that end. There is a lot more to defense than physical tools especially, for non-centers. He can learn and improve, but his worst case scenario is atrocious, not "above average".

Not sure what I'm missing here. "Could be great, probably above average at worst." And I disagree entirely. Sure, you say he isn't a certain thing there, but I find it odd that you'd suggest he'll be"probably above average at worst" at defense.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#323 » by jpengland » Mon Jun 9, 2014 8:26 pm

Notanoob wrote:
jpengland wrote:
Notanoob wrote:At worst? This guy has no idea how to play defense as it stands. Absolutely none. At worst he'll be James Harden on that end. There is a lot more to defense than physical tools especially, for non-centers. He can learn and improve, but his worst case scenario is atrocious, not "above average".

Not sure what I'm missing here. "Could be great, probably above average at worst." And I disagree entirely. Sure, you say he isn't a certain thing there, but I find it odd that you'd suggest he'll be"probably above average at worst" at defense.

Yep I did say that.

Try again.....
Notanoob
Analyst

Post#324 » by Notanoob » Mon Jun 9, 2014 8:30 pm

jpengland wrote:
Notanoob wrote:
jpengland wrote:

Yep I did say that.

Try again.....
Oh man, never mind.

You guys were a bit off topic though.
AgentZer0
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#325 » by AgentZer0 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:16 am

The Westbrook comparisons are just lazy and wrong. His story as a late bloomer who went to UCLA obviously parallels Westbrook, but not once while watching tape on him did I think "That's Westbrook-esque right there." His effortless bounce and ability to shoot brings Gerald Green to mind. I think he'll win a dunk contest or two in the next few years as his hops are just ridiculous. He isn't as quick as his leaping ability would lead you to think and isn't a great ball handler, which explains why he isn't great at getting to the rim for such a great athlete. More often than not, players like LaVine end up having successful careers. He's far from a finished project but could end up being the steal of the draft.

I wrote a complete scouting report on LaVine here, as well as scouting reports for other projected top picks here: http://freeagentzero.com/2014/06/16/nba ... ch-lavine/
Check out my in-depth, team-by-team season previews at [color=#0000BF]freeagentzero.com[/color]
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#326 » by miltk » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:03 am

AgentZer0 wrote:The Westbrook comparisons are just lazy and wrong. His story as a late bloomer who went to UCLA obviously parallels Westbrook, but not once while watching tape on him did I think "That's Westbrook-esque right there." His effortless bounce and ability to shoot brings Gerald Green to mind. I think he'll win a dunk contest or two in the next few years as his hops are just ridiculous. He isn't as quick as his leaping ability would lead you to think and isn't a great ball handler, which explains why he isn't great at getting to the rim for such a great athlete. More often than not, players like LaVine end up having successful careers. He's far from a finished project but could end up being the steal of the draft.

I wrote a complete scouting report on LaVine here, as well as scouting reports for other projected top picks here: http://freeagentzero.com/2014/06/16/nba ... ch-lavine/

i agree with your conclusions but your missing a few things. that 37%,,,,, was 31% from the missouri game(9th game)going forward. too many players have been considered frail or thin to take such a criticism seriously. there's just a litany of faults in zach that i have already opined.

i think people have to be guarded about the illusory effect of lavine's style. he's VERY stylish but did you know he and nick johnson have almost identical verts. but johnson's leaps looks ponderous compared to zach's. zach has this sprite pogo stick style. and yet johnson has done some serious facials and lavine has done NONE which makes the westbrook comparisons preposterous
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#327 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:19 am

Anybody like Monta as a comp?

For all the talk of boom or bust he'll probably end up being neither, instead a top 15 starting SG but not an all-star *shrug*
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#328 » by j-ragg » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:34 pm

He could be a taller Monta... he could be a Rodney Carney. Hard to tell with this kid.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#329 » by Klomp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:48 am

The Timberwolves front office has reportedly fallen hard for the spectacular athleticism of UCLA's freshman, and sees him as a likely star in the making.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft-extended.php
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Notanoob
Analyst

Post#330 » by Notanoob » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:44 am

Klomp wrote:
The Timberwolves front office has reportedly fallen hard for the spectacular athleticism of UCLA's freshman, and sees him as a likely star in the making.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft-extended.php
I feel bad for you guys if they draft him. He's done nothing to earn a first round pick.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#331 » by Klomp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:49 am

Notanoob wrote:I feel bad for you guys if they draft him. He's done nothing to earn a first round pick.

Per40 and Advanced stats very similar to Russell Westbrook at UCLA.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Notanoob
Analyst

Post#332 » by Notanoob » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:02 am

Klomp wrote:
Notanoob wrote:I feel bad for you guys if they draft him. He's done nothing to earn a first round pick.

Per40 and Advanced stats very similar to Russell Westbrook at UCLA.
That comparison is laughable and you know it. I use stats plenty but would never dream of making the comparison, and Westbrook significantly outperformed his projections based on his college production.

Was a poor shooter after a hot start.

Terrified of contact.

Poor finisher, inflated his FG% with transition buckets gotten from playing a gamble-heavy zone defense.

Avoided shooting with a hand in his face, I don't think that he can deal with the pressure.

Awful defender with no instincts or fundamentals.

Rarely handled the ball or did much slashing.

If he didn't have a hot start from beyond the ark he would be a second round pick for sure.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#333 » by Klomp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:18 am

Notanoob wrote:That comparison is laughable and you know it. I use stats plenty but would never dream of making the comparison, and Westbrook significantly outperformed his projections based on his college production.

Did I say Zach LaVine will be as good as Russell Westbrook?

All I pointed out that many of their statistical metrics in college were similar, which they are.

Notanoob
Analyst

Post#334 » by Notanoob » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:04 pm

Klomp wrote:
Notanoob wrote:That comparison is laughable and you know it. I use stats plenty but would never dream of making the comparison, and Westbrook significantly outperformed his projections based on his college production.

Did I say Zach LaVine will be as good as Russell Westbrook?

All I pointed out that many of their statistical metrics in college were similar, which they are.

Just because you didn't literally say that, doesn't mean you didn't imply it. You compared LaVine to Westbrook for a reason.

Return to NBA Draft