Doug McDermott

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Re: Doug McDermott 

Post#341 » by raptor jesus » Sat May 31, 2014 10:55 pm

Has anyone made a Kleiza comparison? Doug projects to be a better shooter, and Kleiza was probably more of a load in the post, but both can get hot from distance, mix it up in the post, attack with straight line drives, and are sneaky athletes when given a head of steam.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s628k7pKk34[/youtube]
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#342 » by RSCD3_ » Sat May 31, 2014 11:18 pm

Question how good would mcderrmont be in the 80's

Sent from my SCH-I800 using RealGM Forums mobile app
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#343 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat May 31, 2014 11:40 pm

I think McDermott will be different than Wally and Adam Morrison. He is more than a catch and shoot guy, he can create his own shot (but not for others), he has a good skill set, good inside and outside game, a wide body, good IQ, i like the Chris Mullin comparison .
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#344 » by Novocaine » Sun Jun 1, 2014 6:58 pm

A Chris Mullin comparison is a bit absurd. It works on the defensive side if you disregard that Mullin was able to come away with a steal now and then.

McDermott isn't a better shot-creator than Wally or Adam Morrison were. Morrison shot-creation skills weren't translatable to the NBA (and that meant a dead end as he wasn't even passable finishing off others), Wally did it to a large extent - but he was a fairly better player off the dribble than McDermott, in my opinion.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#345 » by thamadkant » Sun Jun 1, 2014 7:45 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:Question how good would mcderrmont be in the 80's

If he time travelled somehow and he has all the health benefits of today and have knowledge of moves and strategies of today... And he competed against a disadvantaged 80s era?

He'd be an all star.

But if he was simply just born in the 80s... Same playing field as everyone back then... He'd still be a decent player.

NBA was not that slow nor unathletic back then... Players were actually drafted based on basketball talents first rather than wingspan and verticals... But a lot of players were still huge, freakish and world class athletes.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#346 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Jun 1, 2014 8:47 pm

I think Doug's athleticism is a little underrated. It may not be enough to prevent being one of the perimeter orientated SFs, but he's not Steve Novak or Ammo either
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#347 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Jun 1, 2014 10:31 pm

1UPZ wrote:

If he time travelled somehow and he has all the health benefits of today and have knowledge of moves and strategies of today... And he competed against a disadvantaged 80s era?

He'd be an all star.

But if he was simply just born in the 80s... Same playing field as everyone back then... He'd still be a decent player.

NBA was not that slow nor unathletic back then... Players were actually drafted based on basketball talents first rather than wingspan and verticals... But a lot of players were still huge, freakish and world class athletes.

Debatable whether he'd been an all-star even thirty years ago. Sfs like Bird, Worthy, Gervin, Vandeweghe, Aguirre, Short, King, to name a few...I doubt he could adequately guard the best sfs. And at pf he'd have to defend players like Barkley, Chambers, McHale, Sampson, Roundfield. He could score points, but I doubt he'd be an all-star.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#348 » by Eoghan » Tue Jun 3, 2014 4:53 am

Johnlac1 wrote:
1UPZ wrote:

He'd be an all star.

Debatable whether he'd been an all-star even thirty years ago. Sfs like Bird, Worthy, Gervin, Vandeweghe, Aguirre, Short, King, to name a few...I doubt he could adequately guard the best sfs. And at pf he'd have to defend players like Barkley, Chambers, McHale, Sampson, Roundfield. He could score points, but I doubt he'd be an all-star.

I think it would help his defense more b/c in the 80s you weren't allowed to carry the basketball and have multiple pivot feet as much like today.
AgentZer0
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#349 » by AgentZer0 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:57 am

One interesting comparison that McDermott mentioned as a guy that he studies is Paul Pierce. Neither are great athletes but find ways to score. McDermott isn't as good overall as Pierce, but they play similarly on offense. He's got a wide variety of ways to get his shot off and his shot is deadly.

There's a full scouting report on Doug McDermott here at http://freeagentzero.com/2014/06/24/nba ... mcdermott/ as well as other scouting reports and a mock draft.
Check out my in-depth, team-by-team season previews at [color=#0000BF]freeagentzero.com[/color]
Charlotte_____
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#350 » by Charlotte_____ » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:38 am

Here's a great article on him, not sure if it was posted earlier in this thread.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ss ... ry_bi.html
LoveDaBoo
RealGM
And1: 1,961

Post#351 » by LoveDaBoo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:58 am

Slartibartfast wrote:I like him as an NBA SF offensively. The combination of elite shooting ability/off-ball skills and a strong post game will make him very difficult to match-up with. You can't hide your big man on him with that activity level and shooting range, but he'll be able to punish quicker wings in the mid-post and on the boards.

But he'll need a very specific environment to succeed. You want multiple strong ball-handlers around him because he's not going to be creating for himself on the perimeter. You need good defenders (man and team) at the other 4 positions.

Chicago would seem like a dream fit, but I guess they're bringing Mirotic over. He'd be great next to LeBron or Melo.

Well, you nailed that . Not sure about the fit now with Mirotic, though. I guess you could run out some interesting lineups.
Step 1: instead of "ass" say "buns." Like "kiss my buns" or "you're a buns-hole."
Woj: The NBA's Dickie Dunn.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#352 » by nicnac215 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:03 am

I can't think of a better team for Doug than the bulls.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#353 » by Jajwanda » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:26 am

Is he actually that poor of a perimeter defender? A post defender yes I agree he was a bad player but in terms of perimeter defense his athleticism scores should show differently.
Tave
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,356

Post#354 » by Tave » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:52 am

Jajwanda wrote:Is he actually that poor of a perimeter defender? A post defender yes I agree he was a bad player but in terms of perimeter defense his athleticism scores should show differently.

I don't think anyone knows for sure. At Creighton, he spent most of his time on D at the 4 or the (lulz) 5, because they only had a couple dudes on the roster who were bigger than him, and none of them got a significant number of minutes.
LoveDaBoo
RealGM
And1: 1,961

Post#355 » by LoveDaBoo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Tave wrote:
Jajwanda wrote:Is he actually that poor of a perimeter defender? A post defender yes I agree he was a bad player but in terms of perimeter defense his athleticism scores should show differently.

I don't think anyone knows for sure. At Creighton, he spent most of his time on D at the 4 or the (lulz) 5, because they only had a couple dudes on the roster who were bigger than him, and none of them got a significant number of minutes.

Also his father/coach said that they were really careful about him picking up fouls on defense, him being so important to the team and all.
Step 1: instead of "ass" say "buns." Like "kiss my buns" or "you're a buns-hole."
Woj: The NBA's Dickie Dunn.
NBA Moses
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#356 » by NBA Moses » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Charlotte_____ wrote:Here's a great article on him, not sure if it was posted earlier in this thread.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ss ... ry_bi.html

Lol at a scrub like Mike Vreeswyk saying Doug McDermott will be a bench player at the nba level.
AS-IF I couldnt make it in the nba so neither will Doug McDermott . Vreeswyk you're a friggin Clown.

There are going to be a 1/2 dozen teams that will rue the day they' passed over McDermott.My Sixers included Hinkie you **** the bed here. Blows right through the "Wally Szerbiak" ceiling . Future Perennial all-star and multi nba champion.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#357 » by LloydFree » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:21 pm

Doug McDermott will be a good shooter off the bench. But he could start on a team like the Bulls, where everybody else can cover for him defensively. He'll have trouble starting even on that team if they don't get a shot creator like Rose back. They'll have to run double screens for him all night to get him open.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
NBA Moses
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#358 » by NBA Moses » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:37 am

LloydFree wrote:Doug McDermott will be a good shooter off the bench. But he could start on a team like the Bulls, where everybody else can cover for him defensively.

Come off the bench?

Baby Bird?

Dude by his third year McDermott will avg 20 a game.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#359 » by LloydFree » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:12 am

NBA Moses wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Doug McDermott will be a good shooter off the bench. But he could start on a team like the Bulls, where everybody else can cover for him defensively.

Come off the bench?

Baby Bird?

Dude by his third year McDermott will avg 20 a game.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
CaliBullsFan
Banned User
And1: 244

Post#360 » by CaliBullsFan » Tue Jul 1, 2014 9:17 am

Johnlac1 wrote:
1UPZ wrote:

He'd be an all star.

No one could guard those guys

Return to NBA Draft