It seems Embiid will strongly consider staying

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#1 » by No-Man » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:42 am

Joel Embiid has emerged as one of the top freshmen in college basketball.

Embiid has only been playing basketball for a few years, but has remarkable instincts for the game.

Embiid has also been researching the college tenures of big men such as Hakeem Olajuwon, Tim Duncan and Shaquille O'Neal. The common denominator with those three legendary bigs is that they each spent at least two seasons in college.

"I was curious because I want to be great, I want to be the best at my position one day," said Embiid. "I'm trying to learn everything and what other people did. All of the great big men went to college at least two or three years. I think it's a big factor. I don't know if it will always work, but I think it's the best choice."

"He's the best," Bill Self said. "He wants to know everything. He's so naïve, in a very innocent way. Like certain guys can be naïve to the ways of the world, but he's naïve about everything -- what to eat, everything."

I bet a lot of fans are scared now
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Re: It seems Embiid will strongly consider staying 

Post#2 » by Talent Chaser » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:47 am

Once he sees the money he will make he will leave.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#3 » by DirtyDez » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:58 am

Self is being irresponsible if he doesn't literally push the #1 pick out the door. :lol:
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by No-Man » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:02 am

DirtyDez wrote:Self is being irresponsible if he doesn't literally push the #1 pick out the door. :lol:

I dont think so.
Even if he get terribly injured (worst case scenario) he will get drafted top10 without a doubt, and got his life solved.
Nobdoy need to make billions, or even millions to have their lifes solved, with a rookie contract you can actually live pretty well many years.
Money is not all that matters and the guy will learn more under Self, and he actually needs too.

He has the privilege of being able to choose, if he wants to stay, he should.
ThereShouldBe4s
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#5 » by ThereShouldBe4s » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:14 am

He absolutely would not learn how to play in the NBA better at kansas than he would by actually playing in the NBA.
nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

Post#6 » by nickforthreee » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:58 am

Tell him to look at Anthony Davis, it worked out pretty well for him. Its a new generation, and this kid is ready for the NBA.
Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Post#7 » by Bubstubbler » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:32 am

Embiid has also been researching the college tenures of big men such as Hakeem Olajuwon, Tim Duncan and Shaquille O'Neal. The common denominator with those three legendary bigs is that they each spent at least two seasons in college.

While it's technically true to say "at least two seasons," the author should have noted that those three guys all played at least 3 seasons. Here's how long they each spent in college:

Hakeem - 4 seasons (1 redshirt, 3 active)
Duncan - 4 seasons (all active)
Shaq - 3 seasons (all active)
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#8 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:53 am

Hopefully he does. Top two picks in 2015 will be Jahlil Okafor and Joel Embiid. Two centers.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#9 » by miltk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:58 am

nickforthreee wrote:Tell him to look at Anthony Davis, it worked out pretty well for him. Its a new generation, and this kid is ready for the NBA.

ad as a freshman had a skillset 10x what embiid has now. what embiid has now is just raw talent. there's the college way and there's the pro way, but there is no wrong way no matter what he chooses. some prefer a gradual acclimation to the game...it is their choice.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#10 » by LloydFree » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:33 am

Non-story.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,558

Post#11 » by sikma42 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:24 pm

miltk wrote:
nickforthreee wrote:Tell him to look at Anthony Davis, it worked out pretty well for him. Its a new generation, and this kid is ready for the NBA.

ad as a freshman had a skillset 10x what embiid has now. what embiid has now is just raw talent. there's the college way and there's the pro way, but there is no wrong way no matter what he chooses. some prefer a gradual acclimation to the game...it is their choice.

Davis had zero moves(he did move well off the ball) on offense and a streaky jumpshot. He was a better defender tho...this whole "raw" thing that mentioned in every post about Embiid has unsavory undertones to me. Embiid'is post game is more advanced than AD's right now. He is also running the offense from the post, something that Davis has never been able too.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#12 » by EddieJonesFan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:16 pm

There's definitely still a lot of unpolished aspects to Embiid's post game, but considering he's a freshman, yeah, he's more advanced than most post players at that stage. Although he is a bit old for a freshman, he'll be 20 this year, most people don't point that out.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,558

Post#13 » by sikma42 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:25 pm

EddieJonesFan wrote:There's definitely still a lot of unpolished aspects to Embiid's post game, but considering he's a freshman, yeah, he's more advanced than most post players at that stage. Although he is a bit old for a freshman, he'll be 20 this year, most people don't point that out.

So should we just start calling everyone less skilled then Embiid raw? I never hear talk about how "raw" Wiggins is, or how raw the 100s of other guys in college basketball who less skilled than Embiid. Raw seems like a code word to emphasize that he is African.

Btw...I would say Embiids post game is above average for an NBA Center. There just aren't many with skill to go over both shoulders with touch and have his footwork. I understand he has a lot of upside, but constant use of term "raw" seems out of place to me.

FYI...I know you didn't use the term raw.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#14 » by EddieJonesFan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:42 pm

sikma42 wrote:
EddieJonesFan wrote:There's definitely still a lot of unpolished aspects to Embiid's post game, but considering he's a freshman, yeah, he's more advanced than most post players at that stage. Although he is a bit old for a freshman, he'll be 20 this year, most people don't point that out.

So should we just start calling everyone less skilled then Embiid raw? I never hear talk about how "raw" Wiggins is, or how raw the 100s of other guys in college basketball who less skilled than Embiid. Raw seems like a code word to emphasize that he is African.

Btw...I would say Embiids post game is above average for an NBA Center. There just aren't many with skill to go over both shoulders with touch and have his footwork. I understand he has a lot of upside, but constant use of term "raw" seems out of place to me.

FYI...I know you didn't use the term raw.

Yeah, I wouldn't call him raw overall, he's pretty advanced for his level, especially for a center, and especially for a center these days. Like I said, his post game is still unpolished, but I don't say that relative to what's the average for NBA centers, but rather relative to him becoming a great low post center. He's weak at all the things centers are typically weak at at that stage, and are relatively easy to fix with experience.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,085
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#15 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:07 pm

If you have a future as an NBA player, playing in the NBA is the best experience you can get for it.

Get paid, and get a jump start on your development as a pro if you're a lock in the top 2-3
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
ceremony816
Bench Warmer
And1: 535

Post#16 » by ceremony816 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:12 pm

Fischella wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:Self is being irresponsible if he doesn't literally push the #1 pick out the door. :lol:

I dont think so.
Even if he get terribly injured (worst case scenario) he will get drafted top10 without a doubt, and got his life solved.
Nobdoy need to make billions, or even millions to have their lifes solved, with a rookie contract you can actually live pretty well many years.
Money is not all that matters and the guy will learn more under Self, and he actually needs too.

He has the privilege of being able to choose, if he wants to stay, he should.

Personally, I don't think there is much more Self can teach him that he won't learn from playing in the NBA. I could definitely see him staying if KU still had Danny Manning as an assistant coach, but unfortunately he left to be HC of Tulsa. Who knows though, guess we'll all find out soon enough.
Daniel616
Junior
And1: 192

Post#17 » by Daniel616 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:39 pm

He developed so much during the season and we're only half-way to the tournament. He should declare, he'll be ready by then. He is right now. If anybody should stay it's Wiggins.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:14 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:If you have a future as an NBA player, playing in the NBA is the best experience you can get for it.

Get paid, and get a jump start on your development as a pro if you're a lock in the top 2-3

Exactly. The best way to learn to become the best at his position is to play in the NBA - not 25 minutes a game for a 35 game college season against mediocre 19 year olds while taking a full slate of college courses.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#19 » by phifans » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:49 am

Any freshman who could have been a rotation player or more in pro level should declare for NBA after their first year. Its just a wasting their own career time to stay unless they decide to stay another three years for a degree.
Shamrock
Head Coach
And1: 5,081

Post#20 » by Shamrock » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:46 pm

If your highly being considered to go #1 in the NBA draft you go..

Return to NBA Draft