Bobby Portis

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

yesno
Ballboy
And1: 1

Bobby Portis 

Post#1 » by yesno » Sun Feb 9, 2014 1:10 am

This guy exploded for a huge game recently v Alabama. 35pts 9rebs 6 blocks, and his season numbers are very solid. Having a closer look, I can't find any issues with this guy, and am very confused why he isn't considered a better prospect?.

He's 19yo, 6'9 with a 7'1 wingpsan, 240lbs, perfect NBA power forward size. His offensive stills are solid, 77% fts, 60% 2pfgs, 20pts/40mins. He gets blocks, steals, doesn't turn it over, rebounding well offensively. His poor defensive rebounding seems like his only weakness, as well as the fact that he's nothing amazing in terms of offensive skills. But the bottom line is that if he can defend well, shoot, and finish, that's a very good NBA player. He seems like a fine athlete, plays solid d, and hustles. I think when he gains a bit more upper body strength a few of his rebounding problems will go away.

Why isn't he being talked about more? Draftexpress has him at 42 in their mock draft at the moment. Honestly this guy looks like top 20 pick to me, I think he's probably superior to other 1st round PF prospects like Montrezl Harrell or Adriean Payne.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... tis-1.html
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bob ... 167/stats/
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Re: Bobby Portis 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Feb 9, 2014 2:53 am

Doesn't look that impressive to me physically, but probably is an NBA talent as stretch big. I would say he doesn't come out this draft but it is surprising he's getting no buzz as a pretty big recruit who's producing as a freshman (26 PER)
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#3 » by ManualRam » Sun Feb 9, 2014 3:00 am

here's what i wrote about potis a few days ago:

i liked portis coming out of HS and thought he had the type of game to have a strong impact early on. he has some similarities with vonleh. underdeveloped up top but has a strong base. he plays very hard and is fundamentally sound. he changes ends extremely well, always looking for rim runs and early post up opps. he posts hard, has an understanding of positioning and doing work early. has the basic repertoire of drop steps and jump hooks, utilizes his mobility to also wheel around defenders. has been a tremendous finisher around the rim this yr. good, not great athlete, his mobility and relentlessness are greater than his explosiveness. also looks comfortable stepping away from the hoop out a little past mid-range. has a funky delivery on his shot that he might have to tweak as he develops. he kinda flicks the ball instead of following through with extension, but i guess it works for him. ft% is great for a big, but his jump shot from the field is just ok. tweaking it might allow him to extend his range.

i don't see him coming out this yr but you never know.

i don't see any reason why he should come out this year. he needs more upper body strength and needs to tweak his shot. i think he has mid first to late lotto potential, but if he came out this yr i'd have him closer to late, late first.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Post#4 » by Kevin Willis » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:32 pm

How is Portis doing in his workouts? Seems like a good candidate to drop.
Ska needs to make a comeback.

Return to NBA Draft