Has Wiggins been compared to Cory Brewer?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Has Wiggins been compared to Cory Brewer? 

Post#1 » by reignfire » Sun Feb 9, 2014 11:47 pm

That's what I see when I watch Wiggins play. A better version.

Wiggins probably has better IQ but they are alike in a lot ways. Even their body types are alike. narrow frame, long arms, thinly built.

Can defend multiple perimeter positions. Great in the open court. Not great shooters but can get hot.
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Re: Has Wiggins been compared to Cory Brewer? 

Post#2 » by Blast Tyrant » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:03 am

No, just no.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#3 » by HornetJail » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:52 am

I think Wiggins was probably a better version of Corey Brewer when Wiggins was six years old.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Silver Man
Starter
And1: 525

Post#4 » by Silver Man » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:30 am

No because whoever would compare them would lose all credibility for life.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#5 » by noobcake » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:36 am

I have been calling Wiggins a more athletic Corey Brewer and getting bashed every time.

Off-ball slasher with questionable handles and mediocre shooting.

Wiggins supporters even take offense when you call Wiggins a more athletic Rudy. They want either a Paul George or young Kobe comparison, except he plays nothing like either player. His closest NBA play style match is Corey Brewer.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#6 » by EMG518 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:42 am

noobcake wrote:I have been calling Wiggins a more athletic Corey Brewer and getting bashed every time.

Wiggins supporters even take offense when you call Wiggins a more athletic Rudy. They want either a Paul George or young Kobe comparison, except he plays nothing like either player. His closest NBA play style match is Corey Brewer.

I guess you can say im a Wiggins supporter. I dont take offense to those statements. I just think they are far from what should be used as desciptions when talking about him. I personally think he has a higher ceiling than Paul George. I get where the Mcgrady comps came from now as well. He could develop into that type of scoring threat. He also is going to be one of the best defenders in the league.
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#7 » by Joseph17 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:50 am

I see the similarities, but he's definitely a rich mans version of him.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#8 » by miltk » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:52 am

didn't brewer cut his teeth as a defensive stopper.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#9 » by LloydFree » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:34 pm

Ridiculous. Wiggins is a better shooter at age 18, than Corey Brewer at age 27 (or at any other point in his life).
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#10 » by Blast Tyrant » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:59 pm

LloydFree wrote:Ridiculous. Wiggins is a better shooter at age 18, than Corey Brewer at age 27 (or at any other point in his life).

Wow!!! I'm stealing your sig. That same guy has been preaching about how Tyler Ennis has no chance at being an NBA starter. Shows how worthless his opinion is.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#11 » by LloydFree » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Led Zeppelin wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Ridiculous. Wiggins is a better shooter at age 18, than Corey Brewer at age 27 (or at any other point in his life).

Wow!!! I'm stealing your sig. That same guy has been preaching about how Tyler Ennis has no chance at being an NBA starter. Shows how worthless his opinion is.

The whole quote is on the draft board, under the thread, 'Who is the #1 pick at the quarter point'. I just grabbed my favorite parts.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:21 pm

Michael Jordan was a rich man's LaBradford Smith.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#13 » by Flight33 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:16 pm

The only comparison between Wiggins and Brewer is on the defensive end of the ball. Right now Wiggins is a better shooter, better athlete and better passer than Brewer. Wiggins ball handling needs work, but let's not forget he is only 18. I think his best comp is a better defensive Vince Carter.
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#14 » by crazy_me_87 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:48 pm

i think a better defensive Vince Carter is a nice Max Ceiling for Wiggins if you compare Wiggins to him at the same age they are quite simmillar and Wiggins even is a little better at creating other shots than dunks

a guy that could give you at his absolute peak!!!!! 26-27 Ppg 7 Rpg 3-5 Apg 2 Stl/pg 1 Blk/pg

sounds right for his potential

if he reaches it nobody knows...

but Corey Brewer... man...

some people are really underselling him right now

why? out of Randle/Parker/Embiid/Gordon his fellow hyped freshmen his play in the recent games was by far the best if you consider offense and defence.. 19.2 PPg 6 Rpg 3 Apg 2 Stl and about a block in his last 5 at age 18..

yeah he must be horrible ;)

nope for a freshman that young he is quite amazing and most importantly improving as he plays.. the last 10 games he has been really agressive.. wich would be his biggest flaw.. the ballhandling is fixable and improved already greatly... and his shooting is quite underrated for his age
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,066

Post#15 » by tidho » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:13 pm

You can compare anyone with anyone or anything. I can't imagine anyone suggesting Brewer is what Wiggins projects to be. At least not until draft night and only then if he's taken by the Cavaliers.

I think Wiggins is more athletic than Brewer (who's certainly no slouch) and is a better shooter already. Wiggins will be able to create for himself and should be a much better scorer than Brewer can even dream of being.

Someone mentioned Vince Carter, and that's probably a fair ceiling for him. At this point I'd guess he won't quite get there.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#16 » by SlowPaced » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:33 pm

noobcake wrote:I have been calling Wiggins a more athletic Corey Brewer and getting bashed every time.

No. Just no. Corey Brewer can't even dream about Wiggins' scoring abilities. Wiggins is a much better shooter than Brewer, is a killer in the clutch, attacks the rim with reckless abandon in transition and knows how to get those easy buckets (second chance points, reacting to defense's mistakes). I have no idea how you can say he plays nothing like Paul George either. George developed his outside shot in NBA, apart from that Wiggins is pretty much a clone of him.
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#17 » by reignfire » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:18 am

You know what I noticed first? It was their body type and the way they jogged down the court. I instantly thought of Corey Brewer. Then I realized their games were very similar also. They have the same strengths and weaknesses like you say.

Even their jump shot look similar.

I do think, though, that Wiggins is a smarter player and a bit more explosive so he will be a better player.

But people can't deny the similarities :lol:
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#18 » by Jazzfan12 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:15 am

Sophomore Brewer: 18 points per 40 minutes, 57% TS%, 35% from three, 77% from the line
Wiggins: 20 points per 40 minutes, 56% TS%, 35% from three, 75% from the line

The big difference offensively is that Brewer was a much better passer in college. 4.7 assists per 40 minutes for Sophomore Brewer vs. 2.1 assists per 40 for Wiggins. But Brewer was a year older. Wiggins' WS/48 this year is right in-between Brewer's Freshman and Sophomore years in WS/48. Hard to say that Wiggins' shooting ability and shot creation ability has really been shown to be better than Brewer's with Wiggins' % being exactly the same (their attempts per games are the same as well) and with one of the main indications of shot creation (assists) being massively in Brewer's favor.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#19 » by noobcake » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:18 am

Note to Wigginstans; we are not saying Wiggins's ceiling or floor is equal to Corey Brewer.

We are saying that Andrew Wiggins and Corey Brewer play the same style of basketball game as of February 2014.

You can call Wiggins a young Kobe, Jordan, TMac, Paul George, Gervin, Erving all you want, but he plays nothing to little like those players. Based on his skillset now/today/this moment, he plays exactly the way Corey Brewer plays in the NBA.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#20 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:43 am

It's been said before, for eg Wally Z said Corey Brewer was his Wiggins comparison on Brian Windhorst's (excellent) podcast

Return to NBA Draft