Has Wiggins been compared to Cory Brewer?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,037

Re: Has Wiggins been compared to Cory Brewer? 

Post#101 » by brackdan70 » Sat Mar 1, 2014 3:17 pm

Brewer averaged 7.5 points a game as a freshman. was 6-8 185. 24 minutes a game on a team that played 1 ranked team (3 times)

Wiggins is the same height but 200 pounds, is bigger, stronger, faster, and much better. 16 ppg, on a team that has played 10 ranked teams. Maybe they can be compared to some extent on the defensive end, but you could probably randomly pick any NBA wing and make a better comparison.
Sign here
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,415

Post#102 » by MiltownHawkeye » Sat Mar 1, 2014 4:40 pm

brackdan70 wrote:Brewer averaged 7.5 points a game as a freshman. was 6-8 185. 24 minutes a game on a team that played 1 ranked team (3 times)

Wiggins is the same height but 200 pounds, is bigger, stronger, faster, and much better. 16 ppg, on a team that has played 10 ranked teams. Maybe they can be compared to some extent on the defensive end, but you could probably randomly pick any NBA wing and make a better comparison.

-b-b-but DRtg and wiggins hasn't shown literally a single basketball skill and he's reached his ceiling and he sucks and you're a stan
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#103 » by brackdan70 » Sat Mar 1, 2014 7:40 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Brewer averaged 7.5 points a game as a freshman. was 6-8 185. 24 minutes a game on a team that played 1 ranked team (3 times)

-b-b-but DRtg and wiggins hasn't shown literally a single basketball skill and he's reached his ceiling and he sucks and you're a stan

My bad, you are correct, he has clearly reached his ceiling because he just turned 19. no way he gets any better. yes clearly no basketball skill at all :lol: :roll: shooting 40% from three in big 12 play so he clearly can't shoot. Only gets to the line 6 times a game. yeah, clearly no basketball skill at all. good post.

do you know what DRtg is?
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#104 » by brackdan70 » Sat Mar 1, 2014 7:47 pm

Goldbum wrote:Wiggins reminds me of MKG. He's probably going to be a better pro do to a superior feel for the game and slightly more agility, but I see a lot of MKG in his game.

what?, have you ever watched either player?
Sign here
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,415

Post#105 » by MiltownHawkeye » Sat Mar 1, 2014 8:37 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
MiltownHawkeye wrote:

My bad, you are correct, he has clearly reached his ceiling because he just turned 19. no way he gets any better. yes clearly no basketball skill at all :lol: :roll: shooting 40% from three in big 12 play so he clearly can't shoot. Only gets to the line 6 times a game. yeah, clearly no basketball skill at all. good post.

that was satire.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#106 » by brackdan70 » Sat Mar 1, 2014 8:43 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
MiltownHawkeye wrote:-b-b-but DRtg and wiggins hasn't shown literally a single basketball skill and he's reached his ceiling and he sucks and you're a stan

that was satire.

thank goodness...sorry I am little slow. I need an emoticon
Sign here
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#107 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Mar 1, 2014 10:53 pm

Nah, Wiggins has similarities in style of play, ballhandling being a weakness, etc. He's a rich man's Brewer, the question is how much more rich?

The best Wiggins comparison to me is Richard Jefferson
Big_C_KU
Junior
And1: 106

Post#108 » by Big_C_KU » Sat Mar 1, 2014 11:05 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:

Nah, Wiggins has similarities in style of play, ballhandling being a weakness, etc. He's a rich man's Brewer, the question is how much more rich?

The best Wiggins comparison to me is Richard Jefferson

My comparison in college is DeMar DeRozan. Both skinny wings. Both solid but nothing spectacular in the handles department. DeRozan was a better finisher at this stage but was definitely behind Wiggins in perimeter shooting. DeRozan was also super athletic but appeared at times to not use it like he was capable of in-game. Wiggins is a considerably better defender though at this stage. I think Wiggins can be at worst a very good starting wing in the NBA like DeRozan.

The problem with Wiggins is he's solid to good at just about everything but not great at anything at this stage. The only thing he's below average is finishing around the rim and that's something you definitely wish was more impressive but not irregular for freshman. Wiggins will become better with finishing as he becomes stronger and learns to use his athleticism better in-game. The question is how much will his skill level improve and how much better will he become at using his athleticism in-game? That remains to be seen.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#109 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Mar 1, 2014 11:24 pm

As a Raptors fan to me Derozan actually gets miscategorized as a player. He has an average amount of athleticism in his game at best for a 2 guard. He's all below the rim craftiness like a poor man's Pierce or Joe Johnson - not much first step, lateral quickness and no highlight reel dunks whatsoever. He's an all-star because he's the best at his position at two things this year, midrange jumpshooting and drawing fouls. The fouls (7.4 a game, .4 FTA per FGA) in particular is amazing because like 19% of his shots are in the restricted area which is a number around the range of jumpshooters like Afflalo and Kmart. Basically he has the lack of driving skills that should lead be leading to 3 or 4 FTA a game, but is somehow drawing them at twice that rate. OTOH, this also may something unsustainable after this season. I think there's a legitimate danger that after the league spends a summer trying to solve him, he goes back to 5 FTA, his midrange shot is a little less hot and all over a sudden he's 17-19ppg .51 TS. What I am hoping however is even if this regression happens, he figures out how to be a 35%+ 3 point shooter at the same time and manages to sustain this production, but through different means
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Post#110 » by MrBigShot » Sun Mar 2, 2014 3:51 am

They are similar stylistically in the sense that neither of them are great shooters, or great ball handlers. Wiggins is already much farther along offensively though. Wiggins worst case scenario is still better than Corey Brewer...
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#111 » by bigboi » Sun Mar 2, 2014 3:54 am

Wiggins needs to finish. Two instances where he tried dunking on a player and missed
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#112 » by noobcake » Sun Mar 2, 2014 3:58 am

I've never been more convinced that Wiggins is a second rate prospect compared to Parker and Embiid.

He has made 0 driving layups/dunks, 1 jumper tonight.

3 put packs, 1 on his own miss and a 3 pointer. 3 turnovers passing the ball, got picked 2 times for 5 turnovers.

Still 5:50 to go. Embiid looks truly dominant on both ends.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#113 » by reanimator » Sun Mar 2, 2014 4:11 am

Wiggins is a pogo stick but just needs to add strength. All these misses around the basket will be makes after a summer of S&C. Definitely 2nd best prospect after Emblid.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Post#114 » by MrBigShot » Sun Mar 2, 2014 4:11 am

I thought Wiggins would be an elite finisher at the college level. Is it just a lack of strength? Underwhelming 1st step? Can't really put my finger on why he struggles at the rim.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,011

Post#115 » by rockmanslim » Sun Mar 2, 2014 4:14 am

MrBigShot wrote:I thought Wiggins would be an elite finisher at the college level. Is it just a lack of strength? Underwhelming 1st step? Can't really put my finger on why he struggles at the rim.

imo it's poor dexterity and body coordination, which is also reflected in his weak ball handling.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#116 » by noobcake » Sun Mar 2, 2014 4:14 am

MrBigShot wrote:I thought Wiggins would be an elite finisher at the college level. Is it just a lack of strength? Underwhelming 1st step? Can't really put my finger on why he struggles at the rim.

His first step is elite. Lightning quick. Contact, can't finish. No contact, still can't finish. There is something called skill in basketball, and yes basketball is a game of skill. You can't get the best athletes and all of a sudden win games.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,476

Post#117 » by sikma42 » Sun Mar 2, 2014 4:16 am

Some of it is lack of strength and that is correctable. Some of it is that he plays soft, that may be harder to correct.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#118 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Mar 2, 2014 4:48 am

Strength, overrated athleticism (he is a great athlete but not generational), but probably just being undeveloped/inexperience. I am guessing 27 year old Wiggins is good at finishing at the rim
Big_C_KU
Junior
And1: 106

Post#119 » by Big_C_KU » Sun Mar 2, 2014 4:49 am

Finishing around the rim is so hard to watch. Just painful. I think it's one of the easier areas to correct but my gawd he's awful at it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using RealGM Forums mobile app
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#120 » by bigboi » Sun Mar 2, 2014 4:54 am

He is really bad at finishing at the rim, actually much worse than I thought. It's a combination of things, he isn't strong enough, some times he just drives looking for a foul, and he just doesn't go up strong enough. There's no excuse why he missed those dunks especially since he's an athlete with a rumored 40 inch vert
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.

Return to NBA Draft