Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

DieYoung
Junior
And1: 563

Re: Kyle Anderson 

Post#241 » by DieYoung » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:54 am

RSCD3_ wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
RSCD3_ wrote:Lets not act like he was magic Johnson or else 29 teams wouldn't have passed on him

There are questions about him

I don't know, if the Spurs picked him that's a pretty good sign.

He's a great passer but if his J is an aberration of this year then he doesn't have a lot of offense to score

like a small forward Rubio type with below average defense would be his floor

SA has one of the best shooting coaches in the league in Chip Engelland. Worked wonders for Leonard's shooting mechanics.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#242 » by Marcus » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:03 am

EvanZ wrote:
Marcus wrote:How well does Kyle's skillset translate in a Spurs jersey under coach Pop supervision?

Are you joking? That's sarcasm right? I can't tell because internet. But...hoping that's sarcasm.

More of a wonder what everybody else's opinion is. I think he landed in a great spot to learn, use his talents, and develop new skills.

Just wanted to know what everybody else thought since there was this huge debate on if he can be effective in the league or not.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#243 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:28 am

I mean, if there's one team in the NBA that can get the most out of Kyle Anderson...well, he just got picked by that team.

Maybe the other 29 teams just conceded that their not worthy. :banghead:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#244 » by BoutPractice » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:51 am

RSCD3_ wrote:Lets not act like he was magic Johnson or else 29 teams wouldn't have passed on him

When 29 teams pass on a guy the numbers paint as one of the best prospect in the drafts and the team that doesn't is the San Antonio Spurs, you start by questioning the other GMs, not the player.

27 teams passed on Tony Parker. The prevailing common sense at the time dictated that there were much better players in the draft GMs absolutely needed to get their hands on before Parker, such as DeSagana Diop, Rodney White, Kedrick Brown, Kirk Haston, Michael Bradley, and Jason Collins.

GM common sense also thought Jimmer Fredette was much more of a can't miss prospect than Kawhi Leonard.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,164

Post#245 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:50 pm

29 teams did not pass on him... remember, teams can have multiple first round picks.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#246 » by miltk » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:05 pm

at the beginning of the season kyle/dad were hoping for okc or sa....makes sense.
during the workouts, dad was CONVINCED it would be atl or somewhere from 14>19

i learned two things. fate has it's own plan, and teams will bullsh*t everyone and anyone.
GM Wotsup
Junior
And1: 272

Post#247 » by GM Wotsup » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:00 am

RC interviewed about him on Spurs nba.com. Worth a look.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#248 » by Teen Girl Squad » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:40 am

I like the pick but lets not go crazy. If SA had a lottery pick they would have likely drafted someone else. His skill-set translates really well (as doesn't his biggest issue, shooting, which can be fixed via coaching potentially).
miltk
Lead Assistant

Post#249 » by miltk » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:49 am

Teen Girl Squad wrote:I like the pick but lets not go crazy. If SA had a lottery pick they would have likely drafted someone else. His skill-set translates really well (as doesn't his biggest issue, shooting, which can be fixed via coaching potentially).

your operative word is "likely" but i think more "possibly".

sa invited kyle to workout but he declined in order to focus on other teams because he didn't think he'd be around. all indications and feedback were 14-19, and possibly 10-14 if the diaw effect was in full play. so at that point, if sa did have a lottery, and considering the type of players they get, there was not better FIT than kyle, and sa is all about fit.

the fact that kyle slipped....that's just fate. if sa had a top7 pick, okay,,,but let's be reasonable, from 8-14, i don't see the big deal with those picks
F1uxCapacit0r
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#250 » by F1uxCapacit0r » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:36 am

BoutPractice wrote:

When 29 teams pass on a guy the numbers paint as one of the best prospect in the drafts and the team that doesn't is the San Antonio Spurs, you start by questioning the other GMs, not the player.

27 teams passed on Tony Parker. The prevailing common sense at the time dictated that there were much better players in the draft GMs absolutely needed to get their hands on before Parker, such as DeSagana Diop, Rodney White, Kedrick Brown, Kirk Haston, Michael Bradley, and Jason Collins.

GM common sense also thought Jimmer Fredette was much more of a can't miss prospect than Kawhi Leonard.

you forgot to mention Pau Gasol, Jason Richardson, Z Randolph, Gerald Wallace, Joe Johnson and great role players such as Brendan Haywood, Battier, Tyson Chandler, Richard Jefferson, Dalembert, Troy Murphy...

oh well
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#251 » by BoutPractice » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:20 am

F1uxCapacit0r wrote:you forgot to mention Pau Gasol, Jason Richardson, Z Randolph, Gerald Wallace, Joe Johnson and great role players such as Brendan Haywood, Battier, Tyson Chandler, Richard Jefferson, Dalembert, Troy Murphy...

oh well

Just to have fun, I randomized a list of prospects from the 2001 draft, including the second round, so the results should be absolutely terrible.

Yet the random list has Gasol at 2, Richard Jefferson at 9, Eddy Curry at 10, Zach Randolph at 14, Troy Murphy at 15, Tony Parker at 19, Joe Johnson at 21, Shane Battier at 23, Brendan Haywood at 24, Jason Richardson at 26, Gilbert Arenas at 27, and Jamal Tinsley at 30. Plenty of misses, but in a weird way it looks better than the actual draft: for example Arenas ends up in the first round and Kwame Brown in the second.

If there's a wisdom of crowds, it does not apply to the NBA draft.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#252 » by EddieJonesFan » Tue Jul 1, 2014 10:00 pm

Anderson is a good shooter, he's always had good accuracy on his shot and it's been getting gradually better every year, he just doesn't have a quick release (which I think won't be that big of a problem because it's a high release and he can shoot over people with his length.) He probably doesn't have great nba 3 range yet (although I can see him being a decent spot up shooter there at this point,) but he's got a killer pull up mid range jumper.

I tend to shy away from really poor athletes, but with Anderson, the guy just does so many things well, and has such good size and length, that it's just so hard to imagine him not being a good player in this league. He knows how to use his length, he's got good hands, a good touch (if he's willing to work on his post game, I think he can develop a decent low post game,) pretty good ball handling for his size (although he likely won't have a very tight handle as long as he's as slow as he is, because of his high handle,) and his obvious passing/vision/IQ to top it off. He's also got what looks to be an underdeveloped body, and because of that, I think there's some upside for him athletically (which includes strength) with an NBA strength and conditioning program. His body fat% reflects that, and think that's actually a good sign, as long as he's willing to put the work in to build up some muscle and tone down the body fat.

I can understand passing on productive college players when you think they won't translate because of some reason (size/athleticism/length,) but Anderson does too many things well to dwell so much on his athletic shortcomings.

I love that he went to the Spurs, it will give him the absolute best opportunity to maximize his potential. There's no guarantee with any player, but I have a very good feeling he's going to look like a major steal in 2-3 years, if not sooner. I would have had no problem taking him in the top 15/late lottery if I was a GM.
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#253 » by jackwindham » Sat Jul 5, 2014 10:03 pm

Anderson is going to be working with a top notch coaching staff and a team filled with winners. It's a great spot for him. He can develop into a seventh or eight man type and have a long career in the NBA.
miltk
Lead Assistant

Post#254 » by miltk » Mon Jul 7, 2014 11:57 pm

not to reference history but,,,other than westy, the players who have come out of UCLA have not been super athletes. they just know how to play, and they get PT immediately.

Return to NBA Draft