Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Re: Kyle Anderson 

Post#221 » by miltk » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:12 am

mattg wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:so we are banking anderson on becoming the next boris diaw now? how common are players like diaw in the nba?

About as common as players like Anderson?

Well the entire premise of the conversation is that Anderson will have to significantly change his game to do the things diaw does now. He's undoubtedly got the raw skills to do so, but it's all about the mentality and willingness to adapt, something he's struggled with so far.

well, diaw has 12 years on kyle ;)

but i'd rather take this - ",,,raw skills to do so, but it's all about the mentality and willingness to adapt", and bank on kyle's drive to succeed, that roll the dice on the potential of a player developing physically and skill-wise. i'll take highly skilled, beaten down and dismissed players like kyle than hotshot athletes who's always been physically superior and showered with accolades.

kyle has the drive because he's always had to prove people wrong.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,198

Post#222 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:31 pm

mattg wrote: but it's all about the mentality and willingness to adapt, something he's struggled with so far.

It is? In what way?

At any rate, Kyle Anderson is a unique talent. Stars are almost always unique types of talents. Look at LeBron, KD, Curry, Paul...these are all special players that haven't really been seen before. That's what a star is.

I can easily see where we're talking about this draft in 3 or 4 years and it becomes obvious that Anderson should have been a top 5 or 10 pick. Guess you'll all have to wait and see for yourself.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,211

Post#223 » by Onus » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:29 pm

The biggest impediment to Kyle Anderson reaching his potential is his family and inner circle. They all have repeatedly ingrained that Kyle is a pg through and through and that is the only position he should be playing.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#224 » by Zombiesonics » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:44 pm

The diaw comparisons are a little off base , I think Anderson's vision is so much better than diaws pre draft . Anderson is simply a better prospect than diaw was, though diaw was a better ATH . Slomo is just inherently a great hooper, with iq through the roof. Who does he guard ? His length will help cover up his lack of athleticism when guarding 3s or even non factor rotation twos. Going vs second units he could flourish. An Unathletic more cerebral Lamar odom .

Who cares what his family thinks , if he wants to survive in the league he won't play point his whole career . He can bring the ball up the floor , do interesting stuff/quick post ups. I hope Stevens or thibs gets him
coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#225 » by coutournant » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:20 am

Zombiesonics wrote:The diaw comparisons are a little off base , I think Anderson's vision is so much better than diaws pre draft .

Why ? Diaw always had an outstanding court vision, even when he wasn't in the NBA... The predraft athletical abilities is the main things that separate young Diaw and Anderson
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,211

Post#226 » by Onus » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:49 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:Who cares what his family thinks , if he wants to survive in the league he won't play point his whole career . He can bring the ball up the floor , do interesting stuff/quick post ups. I hope Stevens or thibs gets him

Who cares what his family thinks? mmm ... Just the only person that matters, which is Kyle Anderson. If everyone in your inner circle is telling you one thing and your coach is telling you the opposite, you don't think that will stress a person out? There will always be a hint of doubt and if something goes wrong or he has a bit of a hard stretch that doubt will only get bigger.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CunningLinguist
Rookie
And1: 190

Post#227 » by CunningLinguist » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:51 pm

mattg wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:so we are banking anderson on becoming the next boris diaw now? how common are players like diaw in the nba?

About as common as players like Anderson?

Well the entire premise of the conversation is that Anderson will have to significantly change his game to do the things diaw does now. He's undoubtedly got the raw skills to do so, but it's all about the mentality and willingness to adapt, something he's struggled with so far.

How has he struggled to adapt? He was asked to play point guard for UCLA because he was the best player for the job, with his team being the better for it.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,009

Post#228 » by mattg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:42 pm

CunningLinguist wrote:How has he struggled to adapt? He was asked to play point guard for UCLA because he was the best player for the job, with his team being the better for it.

He struggled when he was asked to play off ball as a frosh. Obviously he doesn't struggle to adapt when he gets to run the point like this past year, that's what he's done his entire life and is his comfort zone. He won't be that type of player in the nba though hence he will need to adapt and learn to play without the ball.
miltk
Lead Assistant

Post#229 » by miltk » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:41 am

mattg wrote:
CunningLinguist wrote:How has he struggled to adapt? He was asked to play point guard for UCLA because he was the best player for the job, with his team being the better for it.

He struggled when he was asked to play off ball as a frosh. Obviously he doesn't struggle to adapt when he gets to run the point like this past year, that's what he's done his entire life and is his comfort zone. He won't be that type of player in the nba though hence he will need to adapt and learn to play without the ball.

his frosh year has long past. basically he was considered slow back in high school and then as a frosh he's asked to player speedier older taller players in college. so the question of adapting should be measured as he has adapted since then and until now, not before.

jrue holiday, coming out of high school as gpoy, didn't adapt playing sg to collison. howland built that '13 team around an inexplicable hard-on for the wear twins, bazz, and drew2. then adams banged out an amazing first 1/3 of a season, so an extremely conservative coach ben never made use of kyle's skillset. then, kyle was asked to wear three hats, scorer(which people question in his frosh year), rebounder, and facilitator. he wore all three hats well, so why the concern about adapting. because of his lack of athleticism, ADAPTING has become his strength, if you ask me - it is what he is. there's no masking of weaknesses with raw physical power. it's always been about changing his game. he adapts because he has the MINDSET for it. you should worry about players who have dominated with physicality and who only deal with change in a physical way.

kyle has grown, improved, and adapted enough to go from people thinking he won't make it to being a possible late first/early second to mid 20's to now possibly being 14>19. what are the fruits of adaptation if not moving up the draft in that manner. in fact kyle is being grossly underestimated for his ability TO adapt
Dukenukem23
Banned User
And1: 1,971

Post#230 » by Dukenukem23 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:59 am

miltk wrote:
mattg wrote:

his frosh year has long past. basically he was considered slow back in high school and then as a frosh he's asked to player speedier older taller players in college. so the question of adapting should be measured as he has adapted since then and until now, not before.

jrue holiday, coming out of high school as gpoy, didn't adapt playing sg to collison. howland built that team around an inexplicable hard-on for the wear twins, bazz, and drew2. then adams banged out an amazing first 1/3 of a season, so an extremely conservative coach ben never made use of kyle's skillset. then, kyle was asked to wear three hats, scorer(which people question in his frosh year), rebounder, and facilitator. he wore all three hats well, so why the concern about adapting. because of his lack of athleticism, ADAPTING has become his strength, if you ask me - it is what he is. there's no masking of weaknesses with raw physical power. it's always been about changing his game. he adapts because he has the MINDSET for it. you should worry about players who have dominated with physicality and who only deal with change in a physical way.

kyle has grown, improved, and adapted enough to go from people thinking he won't make it to being a possible late first/early second to mid 20's to now possibly being 14>19. what are the fruits of adaptation if not moving up the draft in that manner. in fact kyle is being grossly underestimated for his ability TO adapt

miltk
Lead Assistant

Post#231 » by miltk » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:47 pm

here's what i'm being told....the latest. lavine, adams, and kyle all worked out at atl. it was like a reunion. it's kyle's 2nd time around with atl. ed pickney said that they(bulls) love him but don't think he will be around at 16. He said the talk now is teams that are in a position to draft him are nervous to pass on him. kyle just torched the 3's around the horn at memphis, and jaeger is glowing over him - thinks he's a lottery plus he can pass.

just my own rumination,,,,,i think the kyle everyone is talking about on realgm is the OLD kyle who's long gone, and there's a new kyle we haven't seen at the workouts.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#232 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:44 pm

miltk wrote:
just my own rumination,,,,,i think the kyle everyone is talking about on realgm is the OLD kyle who's long gone, and there's a new kyle we haven't seen at the workouts.

This wouldn't surprise me one bit. Could be like Draymond Green who was supposed to be a terrible defender and turned into one of the best defenders in the league within two seasons. Another guy like that is Battier. Players with extremely high BBIQ that figure out how to use what they have to win in whatever way they need.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#233 » by ManualRam » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:06 pm

EvanZ wrote:
miltk wrote:

This wouldn't surprise me one bit. Could be like Draymond Green who was supposed to be a terrible defender and turned into one of the best defenders in the league within two seasons. Another guy like that is Battier. Players with extremely high BBIQ that figure out how to use what they have to win in whatever way they need.

draymond used to be fat too in college. the effort and intelligence were always there, but he was fat. he's changed his body a lot since college, helping his agility and conditioning.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#234 » by EddieJonesFan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:49 pm

It'll be really interesting to see how much Anderson improves from NBA strength and conditioning, with his body the way it is, there's some upside there. I got the feeling that we're going to look back on him as someone who was taken much too low in this draft. I'm rooting for him.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#235 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:06 am

The league let this guy drop to the Spurs. Of course.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#236 » by RSCD3_ » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:28 am

Lets not act like he was magic Johnson or else 29 teams wouldn't have passed on him

There are questions about him
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#237 » by Marcus » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:39 am

How well does Kyle's skillset translate in a Spurs jersey under coach Pop supervision?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#238 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:41 am

RSCD3_ wrote:Lets not act like he was magic Johnson or else 29 teams wouldn't have passed on him

I don't know, if the Spurs picked him that's a pretty good sign.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#239 » by RSCD3_ » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:44 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
RSCD3_ wrote:Lets not act like he was magic Johnson or else 29 teams wouldn't have passed on him

I don't know, if the Spurs picked him that's a pretty good sign.

He's a great passer but if his J is an aberration of this year then he doesn't have a lot of offense to score

like a small forward Rubio type with below average defense would be his floor
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#240 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:51 am

Marcus wrote:How well does Kyle's skillset translate in a Spurs jersey under coach Pop supervision?

Are you joking? That's sarcasm right? I can't tell because internet. But...hoping that's sarcasm.

Return to NBA Draft