Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Re: Adreian Payne 

Post#41 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:52 pm

EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:All-stars don't need to be a top player in the league, they just have to be playing really well.

Ok, now I'm 100% convinced you're a troll. I'm done with you. :lol:

BYE. While you're at it, go watch some games (to help you better understand basketball).
RookieJazz
Junior
And1: 43

Post#42 » by RookieJazz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:02 am

I read something about his lung problems, what prevent him to play extended minutes.
An option as a back up PF, who someone will gamble at late 1st or early 2nd.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#43 » by doordoor123 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:11 am

RookieJazz wrote:I read something about his lung problems, what prevent him to play extended minutes.
An option as a back up PF, who someone will gamble at late 1st or early 2nd.

I've read that too. What are the specifics? He's played a lot of minutes before. I'm sure back to backs will be somewhat of a problem though. I guess we wait for his physical to see what's going on with that.
HotrodBeaubois
Veteran
And1: 196

Post#44 » by HotrodBeaubois » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:27 pm

I like Payne and hope he ends up on Dallas .. He could be a nice backup stretch 4 behind Dirk .
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#45 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:42 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:All-stars don't need to be a top player in the league, they just have to be playing really well.

Ok, now I'm 100% convinced you're a troll. I'm done with you. :lol:

BYE. While you're at it, go watch some games (to help you better understand basketball).

Maybe he doesn't have time for the Payne.

Ohh, foul for flopping.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,925

Post#46 » by Klomp » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:57 am

Adreian Payne will be the Gorgui Dieng of this draft class.

Teams will pass on him because he is "too old" and "lacks upside," but, by the end of his rookie season, teams will be wondering why they passed on him.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#47 » by Notanoob » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:30 am

Klomp wrote:Adreian Payne will be the Gorgui Dieng of this draft class.

Teams will pass on him because he is "too old" and "lacks upside," but, by the end of his rookie season, teams will be wondering why they passed on him.
I have to second this. He's a hardworking, athletic, long, mobile power forward who can really shoot the ball. He's like a poor-man's Ibaka in that sense. He's been well coached and was playing through freaking mono this season. I really like his chances.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#48 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Notanoob wrote:

I have to second this. He's a hardworking, athletic, long, mobile power forward who can really shoot the ball. He's like a poor-man's Ibaka in that sense. He's been well coached and was playing through freaking mono this season. I really like his chances.

I was thinking this also, looks like a ready made NBA role player, but I have yet to see any of those draft models like WARP or anything else rate him very highly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#49 » by Notanoob » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:44 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
Notanoob wrote:

I was thinking this also, looks like a ready made NBA role player, but I have yet to see any of those draft models like WARP or anything else rate him very highly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
It's likely because his steals/blocks/rebound numbers were not impressive, which I attribute to him playing with mono (and recovering from other injuries IIRC).
Payne's junior year #s per40 pace adjusted: 12 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 2 blocks
Senior year: 10 rebounds, .7 steals, 1.3 blocks

Considering that those particular attributes are generally highly weighted in advanced statistical models, he was really hurt by playing sick (unknowingly too).
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#50 » by ManualRam » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:45 pm

i think there are a lot of smoke and mirrors in payne's game. you look at his attributes and situation and think that he's: experienced, coached under izzo so he's tough, smart and good defensively, athletic so you figure that would translate across the board, etc. but his experience and tutelage under izzo hasn't resulted in him being a smart, tough player. he gets pushed around by guys smaller than him. he's not a great rebounder, isn't good defensively as his awareness isn't great, neither is his change of direction. his athleticism is blunted by him having to gather to explode and he lacks quickness, both laterally and exploding from a standstill.
i'd still rate him in the 20s and would rather have other bigs in that range, even some projected to go later, ahead of him.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#51 » by Old Man Game » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:00 am

ManualRam wrote:i think there are a lot of smoke and mirrors in payne's game. you look at his attributes and situation and think that he's: experienced, coached under izzo so he's tough, smart and good defensively, athletic so you figure that would translate across the board, etc. but his experience and tutelage under izzo hasn't resulted in him being a smart, tough player. he gets pushed around by guys smaller than him. he's not a great rebounder, isn't good defensively as his awareness isn't great, neither is his change of direction. his athleticism is blunted by him having to gather to explode and he lacks quickness, both laterally and exploding from a standstill.
i'd still rate him in the 20s and would rather have other bigs in that range, even some projected to go later, ahead of him.

It's a problem that he isn't good defensively and is known to get lost or fall asleep playing defense. As a senior playing under an accomplished coach like Izzo there's no excuse for that. You draft someone his age you think you're getting a mature player who will be sound in fundamental areas such as playing defense off the ball.

Return to NBA Draft