Adreian Payne

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Adreian Payne 

Post#21 » by Mylie10 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Draymond Green has really good things to say about Payne....I think he should be ranked higher, but since he is older the draft boards always push the old guys to the back end of the first round. I see him as a starter at some point, but probably not a star. Solid guy to draft though, because you need guys who can actually play when making a draft pick.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#22 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Golabki wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:I think if a player can carry a team on his back, he's a potential all-star at the NBA level. Adreian Payne did that tonight and he's actually done it before. Without him, Michigan State just isn't as good. That's why I think McDermott will also be great in the NBA.

This is the kind of logic that made people think Jimmer Fredette was a steal in the late lottery.

Who says Jimmer isn't still a potential all-star? He's a shooting guard stuck at the point guard position because of his height and lack of passing ability. Otherwise, he might be an All-Star. And Payne carried the team with more than just points.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#23 » by Golabki » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:56 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Golabki wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:I think if a player can carry a team on his back, he's a potential all-star at the NBA level. Adreian Payne did that tonight and he's actually done it before. Without him, Michigan State just isn't as good. That's why I think McDermott will also be great in the NBA.

This is the kind of logic that made people think Jimmer Fredette was a steal in the late lottery.

Who says Jimmer isn't still a potential all-star? He's a shooting guard stuck at the point guard position because of his height and lack of passing ability. Otherwise, he might be an All-Star. And Payne carried the team with more than just points.

First, I like Payne as a mid/late first round pick. I think he's a good prospect.

Second, the fact that you are still defending Jimmer as a potential All-Star is a little crazy.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Golabki wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Golabki wrote:This is the kind of logic that made people think Jimmer Fredette was a steal in the late lottery.

First, I like Payne as a mid/late first round pick. I think he's a good prospect.

Second, the fact that you are still defending Jimmer as a potential All-Star is a little crazy.

I'm not saying he is, I'm saying he has the potential to be. Problem is that he won't be getting time on the floor because he's undersized, can't play point and can't defend. However, he's a really smart player.

And right before the Kings dropped him, in the only 27 minute game he's had, he scored 24 points with two steals and two assists.

The last time he had that many minutes, he was in the preseason. He had 32 minutes in that game with 23 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals and 3 turnovers.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#25 » by EvanZ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:13 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
I'm not saying he is, I'm saying he has the potential to be. Problem is that he won't be getting time on the floor because he's undersized, can't play point and can't defend. However, he's a really smart player.

This is one of the most bizarro comments I've read here. And that's saying something. :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:22 pm

EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

This is one of the most bizarro comments I've read here. And that's saying something. :lol:

:roll: Someone doesn't understand basketball. :pityfool:
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#27 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:49 pm

Robert Horry as a player comp?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#28 » by EvanZ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:09 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

I'm not the one who said Jimmer is undersized, can't play point guard, can't defend, yet he's a potential All-Star. lol :lol:

Hey, I also can't play point guard, can't defend, and am undersized. Maybe I have a chance for MVP! :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:19 pm

EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

I'm not the one who said Jimmer is undersized, can't play point guard, can't defend, yet he's a potential All-Star. lol :lol:

Hey, I also can't play point guard, can't defend, and am undersized. Maybe I have a chance for MVP! :lol:

He can't help that he's undersized, but can learn to defend in Thibs system (much like Korver) and he could learn better point skills. Even then, he isn't THAT bad at point. He was always more of a project at the next level and he still needs some development. But even before that, he needs minutes. So far this year, hes performed well with big minutes. And yes, he's still a potential all-star. If Eric Gordon can be a potential all-star at 6'3, so can Jimmer.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#30 » by EvanZ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:37 pm

doordoor123 wrote: And yes, he's still a potential all-star. If Eric Gordon can be a potential all-star at 6'3, so can Jimmer.

Yep. Again, me too! Your stuff keeps getting better man!

Even Jimmer's mom doesn't think he'll ever be an All-Star. Most likely he will never be a full-time starter. But you think he has the potential to be an All-Star.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#31 » by texasholdem » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:48 pm

EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote: And yes, he's still a potential all-star. If Eric Gordon can be a potential all-star at 6'3, so can Jimmer.

Even Jimmer's mom doesn't think he'll ever be an All-Star. Most likely he will never be a full-time starter. But you think he has the potential to be an All-Star.

Who would have thought Steve Nash would be an 8x All Star and 2x MVP after his lackluster third season?
Not saying Jimmer is going to have the same success but I don't think he's been given the opportunity yet. (7 starts)
His awesome shooting percentages this year have shown he's not a bust like Adam Morrison was.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#32 » by babyjax13 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:02 pm

He had a career night and now people are enamored with him. I just don't get it, nothing in his game says "NBA ready," and for a 23 year old, that's pretty dangerous. I wouldn't draft him until the second round.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#33 » by Mylie10 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:18 pm

He's totally ready for the NBA, but as a role player off the bench.

Is that some sort of damning critique?

when drafting guys you want to come out of it with a role player or star. If you're drafting high, you'd better not miss. With all of your other picks, you want to find a plug and play guy. I see Payne in this scenario. He will be a good player off the bench and as an occasional starter depending on the team and situation.

If he were being drafted to be a star, then you could expect a let down. But where he is right now on the boards (or should I say prior to the tourney) he is a value pick.

I like payne for the Warriors as a backup to Lee.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#34 » by EvanZ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:20 pm

texasholdem wrote:His awesome shooting percentages this year have shown he's not a bust like Adam Morrison was.

If every player who was "not a bust like Adam Morrison" got to the All-Star game, they'd need a bigger bench.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:53 pm

EvanZ wrote:

I'm waiting for you to prove me wrong rather than tell me I'm wrong over and over again.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#36 » by EvanZ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:55 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

I'm waiting for you to prove me wrong rather than tell me I'm wrong over and over again.

It's impossible to prove a negative. I guess you'll have to sit on the edge of your seat his entire career (or maybe just another couple of years until he's out of the NBA) to see what happens. Enjoy!

Honestly, though, dude. If you're serious about this, and not just a troll, kudos. You may be the worst take on RealGM, which is kind of a big deal.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:59 pm

EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

It's impossible to prove a negative. I guess you'll have to sit on the edge of your seat his entire career (or maybe just another couple of years until he's out of the NBA) to see what happens. Enjoy!

Honestly, though, dude. If you're serious about this, and not just a troll, kudos. You may be the worst take on RealGM, which is kind of a big deal.

Well look at that, spewing some more of your OPINION. Which is all you seem to be doing. And apparently I'm not allowed to voice mine with supported evidence.

Oh, and thanks for directly insulting me.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#38 » by EvanZ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:09 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Well look at that, spewing some more of your OPINION. Which is all you seem to be doing. And apparently I'm not allowed to voice mine with supported evidence.

Is Kyle Korver (A 43% CAREER 3PT SHOOTER) going to be an All-Star one day?

If not, can you explain to me how Jimmer gets there before him? What exactly do you think he is capable of doing? This is such a ridiculous discussion, I'm about 95% convinced you're a troll now. :lol:

Honestly, man. Did you go to to high school with Jimmer? Like, he's a buddy of yours or something, right? Maybe you think he's cute or something? Throw me a bone here. I really can't understand this.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:16 pm

EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Well look at that, spewing some more of your OPINION. Which is all you seem to be doing. And apparently I'm not allowed to voice mine with supported evidence.

Is Kyle Korver (A 43% CAREER 3PT SHOOTER) going to be an All-Star one day?

If not, can you explain to me how Jimmer gets there before him? What exactly do you think he is capable of doing? This is such a ridiculous discussion, I'm about 95% convinced you're a troll now. :lol:

Honestly, man. Did you go to to high school with Jimmer? Like, he's a buddy of yours or something, right? Maybe you think he's cute or something? Throw me a bone here. I really can't understand this.

Really, because you're the one trolling. And yeah, Korver COULD be an All-Star. Heck, he probably even could have been one this year if he scored a little more. All-Stars are made by the impact they make on their teams -- no matter how they make that impact. There could definitely be an All-Star spot-up shooter. If any players makes any kind of big contribution, they should be considered for an All-Star spot.

All-stars don't need to be a top player in the league, they just have to be playing really well. And yes, I think Jimmer could play really well.

And what you can't understand is basic basketball. Why you're not understanding it? Ignorance.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#40 » by EvanZ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:47 pm

doordoor123 wrote:All-stars don't need to be a top player in the league, they just have to be playing really well.

Ok, now I'm 100% convinced you're a troll. I'm done with you. :lol:

Return to NBA Draft