Aaron Gordon...What Separates him from Blake Griffin?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Re: Aaron Gordon...What Separates him from Blake Griffin? 

Post#101 » by karkinos » Sun Apr 6, 2014 5:33 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Do you know the difference between "average" and "elite"? Someone with "elite" length will have an easier time than someone with "average" length. That is a truism. There is nothing to argue or debate in that statement, yet somehow that is what you continue to do.

I DID NOT SAY IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR GORDON. I SAID IT WILL BE *DIFFICULT* BECAUSE HE DOES NOT HAVE ELITE LENGTH NOR ELITE SKILLS.

There's no way Gordon's going to be able to consistently score in the post at his size

That is the statement you need to be dealing with. Tell me how that is wrong. Do you understand the difference between saying something is impossible and saying it is unlikely? Or does your mind only deal with black and white?

let me repeat for you
There's no way Gordon's going to be able to consistently score in the post at his size

i'm sorry i didn't interpret "no way" as "difficult" lmao
you're so fkn basic.

Unfortunately, like a huge number of casual fans, you make your arguments based on few cherry-picked examples. "Well, Paul Millsap did it, so why can't Gordon?" That is not sound logic. It doesn't explain why Gordon should be able to do it, it just states the obvious, which is that it's *possible*. Nobody is saying otherwise.

that is the ONLY thing i have been arguing. that it is possible for gordon.

your statement of no way inferred NOT POSSIBLE

Oh, and by the way. Paul Millsap has a 7'1.5" wingspan, a full 2 inches greater than Gordon. So once again, even your cherry-picked example falls a bit short, no pun intended.

wingspan is horizontal
standing reach is vertical
yeah his ability to get a shot off has everything to do with how long he is horizontally
karkinos
Head Coach

Post#102 » by karkinos » Sun Apr 6, 2014 6:10 pm

there is literally no point in responding anymore since you clearly never seem to have a clue about what was written nor do you bother to re-read any of it.

the fact that you challenged me on something someone else brought up, further pressed on it even after i told you that you were responding to someone else's reply, and still completely refuse to acknowledge the error or apologize about it just shows how tactless you are.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#103 » by Jajwanda » Thu May 15, 2014 8:46 am

His 3 ball isn't that bad. The Shawn Marion comparison that someone gave is actually a good one. I don't see Blake's post-game but I do see a guy that is going to be a major contributor for whatever team he plays on. If he gets that 3 ball down, he's a high impact player that'll fill the stat sheet.

I don't think he's Blake though, but I do expect him to be a better shot-blocker and 1-on-1 defender than Blake.
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#104 » by ColdBlooded » Thu May 15, 2014 9:05 pm

brb Athletic lightskined PF...MUST BE BLAKE GRIFFIN!!

i shake my head all the time when people still bring up this comparison.
Sam Hinkie crew.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#105 » by Marcus » Thu May 15, 2014 9:30 pm

ColdBlooded wrote:brb Athletic lightskined PF...MUST BE BLAKE GRIFFIN!!

i shake my head all the time when people still bring up this comparison.

exactly. absolutely dumb.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
kdot99
Veteran
And1: 212

Post#106 » by kdot99 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:02 pm

Best case scenerio

Aaron Gordon in his prime = Shawn Marion in phoenix

Thoughts?
Jajwanda
General Manager

Post#107 » by Jajwanda » Thu May 15, 2014 10:04 pm

Perhaps.

Better question is why isn't Randle considered a Blake Griffin level prospect, considering that their freshman years were actually very similar?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#108 » by Marcus » Thu May 15, 2014 10:11 pm

Jajwanda wrote:Perhaps.

Better question is why isn't Randle considered a Blake Griffin level prospect, considering that their freshman years were actually very similar?

because he doesn't have any of Blake's physical gifts.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Jajwanda
General Manager

Post#109 » by Jajwanda » Thu May 15, 2014 10:13 pm

Oh I don't know about that...
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#110 » by mattg » Thu May 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Blake is the son of a coach and has always had really good fundamentals like footwork, sealing his man down low under the hoop, passing well, not playing in modes, etc. all things that randle isn't really good at.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#111 » by Marcus » Thu May 15, 2014 10:16 pm

mattg wrote:

Blake is the son of a coach and has always had really good fundamentals like footwork, sealing his man down low under the hoop, passing well, not playing in modes, etc. all things that randle isn't really good at.

that too
Watch More Basketball

ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#112 » by ColdBlooded » Thu May 15, 2014 10:39 pm

Jajwanda wrote:Oh I don't know about that...

Randle is a good athlete,but he;s not on Blake's level.
Sam Hinkie crew.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#113 » by Illmatic12 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:11 pm

Athleticism.

Randle plays below the rim, Griffin plays above it.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#114 » by B-Ball Freak » Fri May 16, 2014 4:26 am

Aaron Gordon plays nothing like Blake Griffin, the only two similarities they have are that they are both of mixed race and can jump high.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#115 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 16, 2014 8:20 am

Frustrating how close he is to being a stud prospect. A PF with his ability to drive to the basket, feel for the game and lateral mobility for a PF, needs so little other talents to be a star, but he may not have it. This draft's version of MKG
sya
Junior
And1: 184

Post#116 » by sya » Fri May 16, 2014 9:34 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Frustrating how close he is to being a stud prospect. A PF with his ability to drive to the basket, feel for the game and lateral mobility for a PF, needs so little other talents to be a star, but he may not have it. This draft's version of MKG

Spot on! That is the exact comparison I have for Aaron Gordon- MKG!

The only thing this guy has in common with Blake Griff aside from the explosiveness is the skin tone and hair color. Blake Griff is much bigger and had a post game heading into the NBA. The topic of this thread is way off! It sounds as if Gordon is even better than Griffin- What seperates him from Griffin??

Aaron Gordon, at least during his first few years, is the type of player who will not have offensive plays set for him. He will be around to scrap for putbacks or make some nice backdoor cuts. His impact will be better in real game than in fantasy too ala MKG
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#117 » by EvanZ » Fri May 16, 2014 2:37 pm

I can't see him as a 4 with 8'9" reach. He better figure out how to shoot the ball and be a wing.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#118 » by No-Man » Fri May 16, 2014 2:59 pm

Why people still overrate Gordon athleticism? he can jump but he is slow with the frame he has, imagine if he addmore weight, he got cement feet and will have terrible problems defending in space, plus the guy is just clumsy sometimes, like somebody that is not used to his own body dimensions, McGee's style.

Shawn Marion is an athletic freak, a total package in that regard, way above Gordon as an athlete.

Gordon ceiling is a role player in the mold of Noah if Jo was a PF, that's difficult to use because as a Forward you need shooting abilities.

Gordon could be a better IQ/defender version of Faried too, with worse touch, length, offensive skills.

He is far from being a top prospect in this class, and he still thinks he can play SF with those feet and that footwork, is hilarious, is delusional.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#119 » by snoopdogg88 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:18 pm

I like Gordon as a long term prospect, but everytime I hear an interview with him he does seem to have a bit of a cocky/delusional view of his own abilities. He continues to think he's a SF, which I completely disagree with.
karkinos
Head Coach

Post#120 » by karkinos » Fri May 16, 2014 5:04 pm

gordon with an 8'9" standing reach

ouch

definitely smaller than anticipated

he'll need to work on his mid range jumper

Return to NBA Draft